Since when can the booth reverse calls?

Mikie2times

I have watched a few games recently (happened in Bears game tonight)  where a play is ruled one way on the field. It appears obvious the coach will challenge and win. Instead of allowing this process to take place the refs decide to overturn the original call preventing the coaches challenge from occurring and changing the ruling on the play.

In both cases a few things were clear. The initial ruling on the field was not being debated by the officials. An outside entity was instructing the official to change the initial call. Play by play announcers commented "it looks like New York or the eye in the sky stepped in on that one". In both instances I will say it enhanced the quality of the game as it prevented a challenge that shouldn't have to occur, that said, did I miss something? At what point did the NFL say they would have booth reviews in real time along with coaches challenges? 

• Like (+1) 2

12 minutes ago, KzooMike said:

I have watched a few games recently (happened in Bears game tonight)  where a play is ruled one way on the field. It appears obvious the coach will challenge and win. Instead of allowing this process to take place the refs decide to overturn the original call preventing the coaches challenge from occurring and changing the ruling on the play.

In both cases a few things were clear. The initial ruling on the field was not being debated by the officials. An outside entity was instructing the official to change the initial call. Play by play announcers commented "it looks like New York or the eye in the sky stepped in on that one". In both instances I will say it enhanced the quality of the game as it prevented a challenge that shouldn't have to occur, that said, did I miss something? At what point did the NFL say they would have booth reviews in real time along with coaches challenges? 

I think this is the first year, I don't remember an official announcement though. Mostly used on spots and scores, usually it's the right call when new York makes it though.

• Like (+1) 1

The Allen non 1st down last drive vs Tennessee was the first time I saw this happen.  Or at least noticed.  

That one still kills me - the refs gave the 1st down - huge moment in the game and NY just takes it over and says no 1st down.  

I can't stand NFL officiating and now with legalized gambling I'm giving it about 5 years before there is some massive scandal uncovered.  Somehow.  It's so brutal to watch and wait after every play to wait for a flag nullifying all spontaneous reaction.

It's awful.  Brutal.  

Nothing changes a game like a good hold on 1st down setting up 1st and 20.  Or a illegal use of hands whenever they feel like it on DBs.   

• Like (+1) 6
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

From an ESPN article back in April....

The furthest they are willing to go is allowing the existing replay official, who already sits in a stadium suite but is limited to assistance on plays that are reviewed, to advise referees in a handful of other "specific, objective aspects of a play when clear and obvious video evidence is present," according to the rule.

What can the replay official weigh in on?

• Penalty enforcement, proper down, spot of a foul, game clock or possession
• Completed or intercepted pass
• Touching of a loose ball, boundary line, goal line or end line
• Location of the football or a player in relation to the boundary line, the line of scrimmage, the line to gain or the goal line
• Down by contact (when a player is not ruled down by contact on the field)

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

43 minutes ago, Big Blitz said:

The Allen non 1st down last drive vs Tennessee was the first time I saw this happen.  Or at least noticed.  

That one still kills me - the refs gave the 1st down - huge moment in the game and NY just takes it over and says no 1st down.  

I can't stand NFL officiating and now with legalized gambling I'm giving it about 5 years before there is some massive scandal uncovered.  Somehow.  It's so brutal to watch and wait after every play to wait for a flag nullifying all spontaneous reaction.

It's awful.  Brutal.  

Nothing changes a game like a good hold on 1st down setting up 1st and 20.  Or a illegal use of hands whenever they feel like it on DBs.   

Yep I was screaming at my tv not realizing that was a thing haha that was standing if it had to get automatic challenged 

• Sad 1

12 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

The furthest they are willing to go is allowing the existing replay official, who already sits in a stadium suite but is limited to assistance on plays that are reviewed, to advise referees in a handful of other "specific, objective aspects of a play when clear and obvious video evidence is present," according to the rule.

• Location of the football or a player in relation to the boundary line, the line of scrimmage, the line to gain or the goal line

There should be a replay official in the booth reviewing each play, and immediately correcting clear and obvious errors so that coaches don't have to waste challenges on clear mistakes and to make the review process move faster. 

And they should be able to momentarily pause play to do a check so a team can't rush to the line and snap the ball to get away with a clearly wrong call.

Edited by Motorin'
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Dislike 1

13 minutes ago, Motorin' said:

There should be a replay official in the booth reviewing each play, and immediately correcting clear and obvious errors so that coaches don't have to waste challenges on clear mistakes and to make the review process move faster. 

From what I understand is they just have a guy in the booth watching the tv broadcast of the game.  If there's an obvious non subjective error ("Um, Jim.  You dumb middle aged straight white man.  He stepped out at the 20.  Not the 40.") then they'll just relay that down to the crew on the field and it's up to the official on the field on whether to take his advice.  It's a pretty archaic, half azzed system which is an improvement from the usual NFL replay nonsense.  

Edited by Doc Brown

37 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

If I’m not mistaken, this also was used to impose a penalty on Carolina for the 12 men on the field penalty. None of the refs threw the flag, Josh was incredulous for like 10 seconds, there was some mulling about as everyone was just like 🤷🏻‍♂️, the teevee guys did their thing of saying yeah he was still on the field at the snap and then a flag was thrown like a minute after the play, seemingly once word came from either the replay official or NY or both.

• Like (+1) 1

Would that they might use this to correct obvious wrong calls or non-calls for pass interference.

But no, the ref union gave the directive to refs on the field to give a huge 🖕🏼to the competition committee, teams, and the fans by almost never changing a PI call last year, no matter what the video showed. 

Either their egos can’t handle being wrong… or they just want to retain the ability to change the entire course of a game in one inscrutable immutable judgment call. And the league is fine with it; in fact, the league uses this to massage game outcomes.

1 hour ago, UConn James said:

If I’m not mistaken, this also was used to impose a penalty on Carolina for the 12 men on the field penalty. None of the refs threw the flag, Josh was incredulous for like 10 seconds, there was some mulling about as everyone was just like 🤷🏻‍♂️, the teevee guys did their thing of saying yeah he was still on the field at the snap and then a flag was thrown like a minute after the play, seemingly once word came from either the replay official or NY or both.

That happened under two minutes in the half so I'm not sure if they called a review from the booth because McDermott couldn't challenge it.

1 hour ago, UConn James said:

Would that they might use this to correct obvious wrong calls or non-calls for pass interference.

But no, the ref union gave the directive to refs on the field to give a huge 🖕🏼to the competition committee, teams, and the fans by almost never changing a PI call last year, no matter what the video showed. 

Either their egos can’t handle being wrong… or they just want to retain the ability to change the entire course of a game in one inscrutable immutable judgment call. And the league is fine with it; in fact, the league uses this to massage game outcomes.

You give them too much credit if that was their master plan.

For God's sake, get rid of ALL OF IT and go back to the old days. 

No replay, no review, no challenge, no nothing.

Just spur of the moment calls coming from the field that everyone has to live with, and that's that.

And sure, the officiating is HORRIBLE.  So what?  

The system they have now is FAR from perfect and is filled with mistakes and subjective nuance anyway.

• Vomit 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

For God's sake, get rid of ALL OF IT and go back to the old days. 

No replay, no review, no challenge, no nothing.

Just spur of the moment calls coming from the field that everyone has to live with, and that's that.

And sure, the officiating is HORRIBLE.  So what?  

The system they have now is FAR from perfect and is filled with mistakes and subjective nuance anyway.

Worst post of the year.  Sorry.

let’s go back to the old days……smh

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.