Just for Fun - Today's Starting LT?

CSBill

Who will start at LT today?  

94 members have voted

1. 1. Who will start at LT today for the Bills?

• Dion Dawkins
    • Spencer Brown
    • Tommy Doyle
    • Ryan Bates
    • Bobby Hart
    • Daryl Williams

Who do you think? Who do you want?

I want Bates (provide Dawkins is out), with Feliciano back at LG. Don't move everyone around, the less disruption the better.

I know I should be the President of the Ryan Bates fan club, but you want your LT to have some quickness. I think he is the most nimble of the options--and add to that his smarts and some relatively successful experience.

Edited by CSBill
  • Agree 1

Well it can’t be Hart because they didn’t elevate anyone from the PS for todays game….

And Dawkins has Covid, so he is also likely out. 

The choices are (IMO) Brown, Bates, Doyle or Williams.

Idt they want to mess with Bates as the LT as they like him as 6OL and reserve. Doyle is not someone I think they want to tinker with at LT at this point in the season. It makes the most sense to me to have Brown stay at RT, and flip Williams to LT with Ford plugging in at RG.

Williams - Boettger - Morse - Ford - Brown

That being said, maybe they do plug in Doyle or Bates at LT to try and keep some consistency within the rest of the OL 

Edited by EmotionallyUnstable

1 hour ago, EmotionallyUnstable said:

Well it can’t be Hart because they didn’t elevate anyone from the PS for todays game….

And Dawkins has Covid, so he is also likely out. 

The choices are (IMO) Brown, Bates, Doyle or Williams.

Idt they want to mess with Bates as the LT as they like him as 6OL and reserve. Doyle is not someone I think they want to tinker with at LT at this point in the season. It makes the most sense to me to have Brown stay at RT, and flip Williams to LT with Ford plugging in at RG.

Williams - Boettger - Morse - Ford - Brown

That being said, maybe they do plug in Doyle or Bates at LT to try and keep some consistency within the rest of the OL 

Previously it was thought they didn't want to play Bates as he was their only backup center available.  Today they'd also have Mongo available to also play center if needed so that fear may go away.

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

Spencer Brown I am sure. Bates as an NFL left tackle would be a disaster

Thought Bates had a game (or at least a reasonable number of snaps in a game) at LT.  Did OK compared against Dawkins having a good year.  Wasn't against a very good line though.

4 minutes ago, LyndonvilleBill said:

If Dawkins is a no go. Hart is not an option. I would prefer not moving Brown and Williams. Leave the right side alone. Feliciano at LG. I'll go with Doyle. Give him some help if needed with Gilliam, Knox and Moss.

What is your evidence for preferring Doyle?  He looked bad in pre-season and for the one snap he got at LT so far, he got beaten like a drum

• Agree 2

I want and think Tommy Doyle gets the start. He is the swing tackle and I’d like to see him get a fair shot at it. The single rep he had In the Jets game has clouded a ton of peoples perception on him. He might not be ready but there really is only one way to find out. If he has a bad couple of series than have a contingency plan in place. 

• Disagree 1

22 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

Teams can elevate a half hour before game I believe.

Watch Bates play and play well and then next year he gets a mega contract to play LT on another team.

According to Sal, they haven’t or aren’t going to. I didn’t know the logistics as to when those declarations must be made. 

I voted Brown because he is the best player available.  

Brown, Feliciano, Morse, Ford, Williams  -  I don’t like it, but this is what Beane brought to the party. 

It’s the line we started the season with, but with our rookie swing tackle in for Dawkins at LT. 

The regression in the play of the entire right side has been our biggest problem. 

• Disagree 1

34 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Thought Bates had a game (or at least a reasonable number of snaps in a game) at LT.  Did OK compared against Dawkins having a good year.  Wasn't against a very good line though.

What is your evidence for preferring Doyle?  He looked bad in pre-season and for the one snap he got at LT so far, he got beaten like a drum

Evidence for a preference?🤔. I prefer not to make multiple changes on the line. Given the choices,  I prefer Doyle over Bates. Obviously I would prefer Dawkins. But again, given a choice between Bates and Doyle I'll go with Doyle to start.

EyNS3fqWYAQbKw-.thumb.png.190f31bdd56bfc81b8df98f639b9688f.png

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, OldTimer1960 said:

It looks very bleak with Dawkins out.  I worry about significant injury to Allen having to play behind that line.

Same.  Zero confidence in anyone filling the role at even a backup level

55 minutes ago, LyndonvilleBill said:

If Dawkins is a no go. Hart is not an option. I would prefer not moving Brown and Williams. Leave the right side alone. Feliciano at LG. I'll go with Doyle. Give him some help if needed with Gilliam, Knox and Moss.

Only if we start Trubisky.  Doyle would get 17 deaded.  He is currently not and NFL caliber player.  

Can’t wait til Bobby Johnson get fired. 

10 minutes ago, LyndonvilleBill said:

Evidence for a preference?🤔. I prefer not to make multiple changes on the line. Given the choices,  I prefer Doyle over Bates. Obviously I would prefer Dawkins. But again, given a choice between Bates and Doyle I'll go with Doyle to start.

This. 

Edited by atlbillsfan1975

8 minutes ago, LyndonvilleBill said:

Dude played one snap and got destroyed in under a second.  His RAS means little at this stage of the game with Bobby Johnson teaching him how to play 

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, LyndonvilleBill said:

Evidence for a preference?🤔. I prefer not to make multiple changes on the line. Given the choices,  I prefer Doyle over Bates.

Right, but what is the evidence that he can adequately play LT in the NFL?  In preseason, and in his lone snaps at LT this season, he sucked.  The defender did a Linda Ronstadt on him.

2 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Dude played one snap and got destroyed in under a second.  His RAS means little at this stage of the game with Bobby Johnson teaching him how to play 

This is just ridiculous to judge him on.  It was a third and long play, came in cold against a motivated and decent pass rusher. I’d like to see a larger sample size before I pass judgement.

1 minute ago, NewEra said:

We are going to to use one snap to judge a player? How did Hart do? I didn't say Doyle should be the starter going forward. I said given the choice between Bates and Doyle,  I go Doyle. RAS may mean little, but I think he's physically better than Bates and maybe Johnson hasn't ruined him yet.😉

7 minutes ago, atlbillsfan1975 said:

This is just ridiculous to judge him on.  It was a third and long play, came in cold against a motivated and decent pass rusher. I’d like to see a larger sample size before I pass judgement.

Yeah, his play is ridiculous to judge him on. Maybe we should start him today…..we’ll see shortly who McD agrees with, me or you

4 minutes ago, LyndonvilleBill said:

We are going to to use one snap to judge a player? How did Hart do? I didn't say Doyle should be the starter going forward. I said given the choice between Bates and Doyle,  I go Doyle. RAS may mean little, but I think he's physically better than Bates and maybe Johnson hasn't ruined him yet.😉

Gotcha. I respect your opinion.  I just disagree that Doyle should see the field this year 

15 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Right, but what is the evidence that he can adequately play LT in the NFL?  In preseason, and in his lone snaps at LT this season, he sucked.  The defender did a Linda Ronstadt on him.

A rookie in pre season and one snap doesn't seem like a fair way to judge him (or any player). At least he has the physical attributes to play LT.  Bates is a backup G/C at best in my opinion. 

14 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Yeah, his play is ridiculous to judge him on. Maybe we should start him today…..we’ll see shortly who McD agrees with, me or you

Gotcha. I respect your opinion.  I just disagree that Doyle should see the field this year 

So by your standards everyone is bad, because everyone has one bad play. SMH

13 minutes ago, atlbillsfan1975 said:

So by your standards everyone is bad, because everyone has one bad play. SMH

This is such a ridiculous statement that I’ll regard you as bruh….

everyone else has at least ONE GOOD PLAY.  Doyle does not.  NOT ONE GOOD PLAY.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

57 minutes ago, LyndonvilleBill said:

This is a great chart to explain why we drafted him.  Unfortunately, it has no bearing on his play in the NFL as of yet.  He looked like a project in camp and in pre-season. McDermott has been reluctant to use him but won’t risk losing him on the PS.  

On the other hand I remember when we drafted Howard “The House” Ballard in something like round 12.  He was a project, had a rough start, and then developed into a monster RT. 

Maybe Doyle will develop similarly but it probably won’t happen in one game.  I’ll trust McD and his staff and hope for the best.  

The OL remains the key to the season. 

Edited by Bob in STL

1 hour ago, Bob in STL said:

I voted Brown because he is the best player available.  

Brown, Feliciano, Morse, Ford, Williams  -  I don’t like it, but this is what Beane brought to the party. 

It’s the line we started the season with, but with our rookie swing tackle in for Dawkins at LT. 

The regression in the play of the entire right side has been our biggest problem. 

I just heard that  Feliciano is on the Covid list.  This is getting tenuous. It probably means that Bates stays at backup C/G. 

It changes my preference to:

Brown, Boettger, Morse, Ford, Williams  

Like many, I hate all the movement.   I think Doyle might get forced into the line up given this new information.  

• Like (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, NewEra said:

This is such a ridiculous statement that I’ll regard you as bruh….

everyone else has at least ONE GOOD PLAY.  Doyle does not.  NOT ONE GOOD PLAY.  

Really? Pretty sure he has played more than that one snap. So actually you might be wrong about “not one good play”

Edited by atlbillsfan1975

36 minutes ago, LyndonvilleBill said:

A rookie in pre season and one snap doesn't seem like a fair way to judge him (or any player). At least he has the physical attributes to play LT.  Bates is a backup G/C at best in my opinion. 

Oh, I agree that long term it would be unfair.  But if you're evaluating which choice of a bad lot should be preferred, it seems like a slender reed to hang your hat on physical attributes absent demonstrated ability.

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, No Place To Hyde said:

If they didn't elevate Hart with all this movement...why is he even occupying a PS roster spot? I mean, he's bad and shouldn't be elevated...but what a waste of a spot. 

I agree.  I assume they hold on to him simply because he knows the offense ???  

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.