SNF - Bear @ Packers

Steptide

No defense being played.   Fun game to watch.

3 minutes ago, The Frankish Reich said:

Tell me what I should be thinking about Justin Fields. The next Josh Allen? Or the next big bust? I really can't make up my mind.

He is scatter shot in his passing.  Needs an off season with a QB guru and an improved O line.  He is running for his life most games.

1 minute ago, Nitro said:

No defense being played.   Fun game to watch.

He is scatter shot in his passing.  Needs an off season with a QB guru and an improved O line.  He is running for his life most games.

Thanks. 

I do see more than a little of rookie year Josh in him. If I'm a Bears fan (now that's a horrible thought) I want them to give him well into his 3rd season before even thinking about moving on.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Ralonzo said:

I don’t have the sound on but what did 22 do that could possibly be a penalty there? Seems like awfully suspicious reffing toward an outcome that makes the league happy

The Bears player got forced out of bounds, then immediately came back inbounds and got blatantly held by a Packers player. They completely fabricated a penalty to negate the turnover.

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, djp14150 said:

That was a crap call nullifying a muff punt recovery.

ive seen similar penalties that were called that were clearly oblivious where the player just ran down the white strip.  That call wasn’t that at all.

And call…surprise. More ref bias

They said the player can't purposefully go out of bounds on the punt.  Then they added if he does he must make an attempt to immediately come back in bounds.  So...I saw the gunner run out of bounds then immediately come back in bounds.  So what's the foul?

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, jkeerie said:

They said the player can't purposefully go out of bounds on the punt.  Then they added if he does he must make an attempt to immediately come back in bounds.  So...I saw the gunner run out of bounds then immediately come back in bounds.  So what's the foul?

3 minutes ago, jkeerie said:

he was forced out by the gunner and came back in right away.  That is not a penalty.

it’s equivalent of calling a hand check a PI

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, jkeerie said:

Collinsworth made up that part. That's not the rule.

It's a 5 yard penalty if "Prior to the ball being touched by the receiving team or the end of the kick, it is a foul if a kicking team player voluntarily goes

out of bounds (without being contacted by a receiving team player) to avoid a block." 

The Packer was closing down the space, but didn't make contact. If the Bear player puts his shoulder into him then goes out of bounds it's not a penalty because there was contact. 

Just now, djp14150 said:

he was forced out by the gunner and came back in right away.  That is not a penalty.

it’s equivalent of calling a hand check a PI

I agree with you that it wasn't a penalty.  The gunner wasn't forced out in my opinion...but then immediately came back in bounds.  That should not have been a penalty.

1 minute ago, Motorin' said:

Collinsworth made up that part. That's not the rule.

It's a 5 yard penalty if "Prior to the ball being touched by the receiving team or the end of the kick, it is a foul if a kicking team player voluntarily goes

out of bounds (without being contacted by a receiving team player) to avoid a block." 

The Packer was closing down the space, but didn't make contact. If the Bear player puts his shoulder into him then goes out of bounds it's not a penalty because there was contact. 

Okay...so just going out of bounds on your own constitutes a penalty irrespective of the player making an effort to come back in bounds?

7 minutes ago, jkeerie said:

There’s just too many refs on field.  With that many guys who can throw a flag on every play, in-game consistency is almost impossible.  That was such a questionable ticky-tack call.  Green Bay is winning this game regardless of that call, but it was still BS.  

5 minutes ago, jkeerie said:

I agree with you that it wasn't a penalty.  The gunner wasn't forced out in my opinion...but then immediately came back in bounds.  That should not have been a penalty.

Okay...so just going out of bounds on your own constitutes a penalty irrespective of the player making an effort to come back in bounds?

Yeah, according to the rule book. If the player goes out of bounds to avoid contact it's a 5 yard penalty regardless of how quick he comes back in bounds. 

I googled it in the NFL rule book pdf.

Edited by Motorin'

Just now, Motorin' said:

Yeah, according to the rule book. If the player goes out of bounds to avoid contact it's a 5 yard or sort regardless of how quick he comes back in bounds. 

Thank you for the clarification.   Wish the commentators knew the rules.

• Haha (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, jkeerie said:

Thank you for the clarification.   Wish the commentators knew the rules.

Just doubled checked. Going out of bounds voluntarily (without contact) and not coming immediately back in bounds is 15 yard unsportsmanlike conduct. 

So it's two different penalties. A 5 yard and 15 yard variety. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, TheFunPolice said:

Imagine if we could run like the Packers...

Suddenly play action becomes a thing

Hopefully once we have a different offensive coordinator and better OL next year it’ll be an option. I agree Allen would be just that much more effective in all ways if we had a running game/play action ability. 

24 minutes ago, TheFunPolice said:

Imagine if we could run like the Packers...

Suddenly play action becomes a thing

For the love of God...how many times do people have to be told and shown that play action does NOT need a good running game to be effective?

1 minute ago, Big Turk said:

For the love of God...how many times do people have to be told and shown that play action does NOT need a good running game to be effective?

Cool. Let's do it then!

Our offense is basically Allen running around like crazy making plays. Something a little more reproducible would be nice. 

17 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

I don’t know.  The one time I remember us trying play action, Bucs LB didn’t even go near Breida, Breida couldn’t block him in time, and Josh got sacked as soon as he turned around.  Epic Fail.  

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.