A Little Perspective: Why we shouldn't be down on the McBeane Regime

folz

13 hours ago, LyndonvilleBill said:

I actually think it was a good call and coach new it wasn't getting overturned. Defense needed a break. 30 second timeout or what a 2+ minute replay review? I'll take the extra long timeout. Why leave the flag in your pocket?

put that way it makes perfect sense.

to give props to McD for thinking like that though we have no way of knowing.

6 hours ago, cba fan said:

put that way it makes perfect sense.

to give props to McD for thinking like that though we have no way of knowing.

True. But if I thought of that as a fan, is it possible he did to? With so much negativity everywhere, sometimes the glass can be half full if people look at things differently. 

• Like (+1) 2

On 12/10/2021 at 5:32 PM, GLP said:

BB turned a 7-9 team into a division winner and a SB favorite in one offseason. McBeane can't compete with that. They're not that good. The last 3 drafts their top picks were all D linemen. To the detriment of other positions like OL and RB. McBeane can't tie BB shoes.  

Division winner? As far as I know the season isn't over.

Is anyone under the illusion that the monday night game against the pats was a thrashing so bad we are unlikely to beat the pats in 2 weeks?

You don't have to make huge leaps for the division to be up for grabs again in a big game week 16. 

Win Bills vs Panthers

Loss Pats at Colts

Edited by What a Tuel

5 hours ago, What a Tuel said:

Division winner? As far as I know the season isn't over.

Is anyone under the illusion that the monday night game against the pats was a thrashing so bad we are unlikely to beat the pats in 2 weeks?

You don't have to make huge leaps for the division to be up for grabs again in a big game week 16. 

Win Bills vs Panthers

Loss Pats at Colts

True...we are 2.5 games behind the Pats right now (looks bad). But, if we beat Carolina and the Pats lose to the Colts, we are at 1.5 back. The next week we face each other. If we beat the Pats on the rematch, then we are even (same record and 1-1 head-to-head). Buffalo would win the tie breaker at that point with a better division record (4-1 to 3-2). 

Pats then close the season with Jax and Mia. Bills close with Atlanta and Jets.

So, if we win out, all we need to take the division is for the Pats to lose one game to either Colts (very possible), Jax (not likely), Miami (Phins always play Pats tough and Miami has been playing much better of late).

Take care of business in Carolina and the rematch with New England and the division should still be ours.

• Like (+1) 1

On 12/10/2021 at 4:59 PM, folz said:

I know there are a lot of knee-jerk reactions after loses, but I have been surprised at how many posters are so down on Beane and McDermott, some even suggesting we need to get rid of them.

I get it, the loss to New England, which not only put the Pats in first place for the division, but also in the conference, opened up some very old and deep wounds. Seeing Belichick smile after a win in our house sucked...but it also shows you what he thinks of the current Bills (the hoodie almost never smiles---even after wins, except maybe Super Bowl victories).

So, I think we all need a little perspective. First of all, as bad as some aspects of our team is right now (rushing/stopping the run), we are only 4-5 plays away from being 11-1. Take away the blocked punt against the Steelers, if Josh made the 4th down against the Titans, and any one or two plays going our way against the Pats and Jags, and we win all of those games. The margin between the best record in the league and a good/ok record in the NFL is razor thin. Those loses all count, they all matter, but we are not as bad as some are making us out to be. Do we have flaws and warts, players that we need to move on from next year, etc? Of course, almost every team does, but we are still a very good team with a lot of talent.

I do expect that we will still make the playoffs this year (whatever seed). That would be 4 out of 5 years of making the playoffs in the McBeane era...after 17 years of no playoffs. The record/win percentage over the last 5 years under McBeane is 45-31 or almost 60% win percentage (59.2% to be precise). And that of course includes 2018 which was an obvious rebuild year where we were depleted of talent (to fix the cap). In the 5 years prior to McBeane, our record was 36-44 (45% win percentage). In the 17 years of the drought, the Bills' win percentage was 41%. McDermott already has the third best win percentage of all Buffalo Bills coaches (behind only Marv and Wade). And Wade only coached three years and lost both of his playoff appearances. McDermott's two playoff wins are the only playoff wins since December 30th, 1995 (26 years ago).

This team has fun, exciting players. Great personalities. They are good people, with great work ethics, who like being in Buffalo, and play hard for each other and the fans. A true team with players I enjoy rooting for. There is no way in hell that I would blow things up or get rid of Beane and/or McDermott any time soon. Is there still work to do? Obviously. But in over 60 years of Buffalo Bills football, this is the best we've had it outside of the 4-year AFL run and the 8- to 9-year run in the 90s.

Have we already forgotten what New Year's Eve 2017 felt like? That was one of the most emotionally-impactful moments in Bills history, and one of the best New Year's Eves I've ever had (thank you Sean McDermott). Have we forgotten what it is like to have incompetency in the front office? Have we forgotten that they have brought us our first franchise QB in 25 years?

There are still 5 games left to right the ship, get into the playoffs, and possibly make a run. In the playoffs, everyone starts 0-0.

But even if that doesn't happen, I will be backing Beane and Mcdermott.

In that worst-case scenario (missing the playoffs or a quick exit), maybe it would be like the 90s team.  In 1988, they had a great record (12-4; a lot of close wins) and went to the AFC Championship game where they were disappointed by the Bengals. In '99, they took a step back with a 9-7 record and a divisional playoff loss to the Browns. Then they went on the run of 4 Super Bowl appearances. Let's not try to kill the momentum that is building. Most success stories are not a straight line up to the top. There are always a few setbacks or apparent regressions along the way---two steps forward, one step back. 

Now, I'm definitely not putting this season to bed...they can still turn it around and make a run (there are no dominant teams in the AFC this year---once in the playoffs, every game will be up for grabs). But ultimately, maybe this team just needs one more season of acquisitions and seasoning/experience to be true, perennial Super Bowl contenders. I don't know about you all, but I want to stick to the process. We're so close.

Go Bills!!!!

How previous Bills coaches have done is irrelevant. McDermott should not be measured against failure. He should be measured against the best in the league. What is our standard, just "Better than it used to be"???

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

On 12/10/2021 at 9:31 PM, Bruffalo said:

I'm probably sounding like a broken record now but the only guy I'm really down on in the whole organization is Daboll.  I've only been down on him this season too, he did an arguably excellent job in 2020 and a good enough job in 2019.  This year he's all over the place, and I feel like the strength of roster is really masking how poor a lot of the playcalls are.

Strength of roster? It’s definitely the other way around. If we had a talented roster they’d be executing and Daboll would be called an offensive mastermind. This roster sucks. 

It’s fine to hate the scheme, as I do, but this team’s failures have nothing to do with offensive play-calling. You can’t design good plays for bad players. Every single one of the 4th downs that fans cry about would’ve been unsuccessful because the offense isn’t any good. This should be jumping off the screen to every single one of our fans by now.

No OC can make THESE players good.

Edited by Governor

One thing I really dont understand and I dont believe its talked about enough is the fact Beane used the top 2 picks from each of the last 2 years on guys that play less than 40% of snaps. If you're gonna draft guys that only play a handful of plays, why use top picks on them? Couldnt these picks have been used on players that get the majority of snaps (OL, CB ideally?). I also feel like their RB and WR evaluations are off. They seem to love short WRs and RBs that dont have top end speed, even though this offense seems like it would work better with big bodied receivers and running backs with breakaway speed. 

But the drafting of 3 players that all play the same position and dont get a lot of snaps is baffling to me. 

• Like (+1) 2

On 12/10/2021 at 4:59 PM, folz said:

I know there are a lot of knee-jerk reactions after loses, but I have been surprised at how many posters are so down on Beane and McDermott, some even suggesting we need to get rid of them.

I get it, the loss to New England, which not only put the Pats in first place for the division, but also in the conference, opened up some very old and deep wounds. Seeing Belichick smile after a win in our house sucked...but it also shows you what he thinks of the current Bills (the hoodie almost never smiles---even after wins, except maybe Super Bowl victories).

So, I think we all need a little perspective. First of all, as bad as some aspects of our team is right now (rushing/stopping the run), we are only 4-5 plays away from being 11-1. Take away the blocked punt against the Steelers, if Josh made the 4th down against the Titans, and any one or two plays going our way against the Pats and Jags, and we win all of those games. The margin between the best record in the league and a good/ok record in the NFL is razor thin. Those loses all count, they all matter, but we are not as bad as some are making us out to be. Do we have flaws and warts, players that we need to move on from next year, etc? Of course, almost every team does, but we are still a very good team with a lot of talent.

I do expect that we will still make the playoffs this year (whatever seed). That would be 4 out of 5 years of making the playoffs in the McBeane era...after 17 years of no playoffs. The record/win percentage over the last 5 years under McBeane is 45-31 or almost 60% win percentage (59.2% to be precise). And that of course includes 2018 which was an obvious rebuild year where we were depleted of talent (to fix the cap). In the 5 years prior to McBeane, our record was 36-44 (45% win percentage). In the 17 years of the drought, the Bills' win percentage was 41%. McDermott already has the third best win percentage of all Buffalo Bills coaches (behind only Marv and Wade). And Wade only coached three years and lost both of his playoff appearances. McDermott's two playoff wins are the only playoff wins since December 30th, 1995 (26 years ago).

This team has fun, exciting players. Great personalities. They are good people, with great work ethics, who like being in Buffalo, and play hard for each other and the fans. A true team with players I enjoy rooting for. There is no way in hell that I would blow things up or get rid of Beane and/or McDermott any time soon. Is there still work to do? Obviously. But in over 60 years of Buffalo Bills football, this is the best we've had it outside of the 4-year AFL run and the 8- to 9-year run in the 90s.

Have we already forgotten what New Year's Eve 2017 felt like? That was one of the most emotionally-impactful moments in Bills history, and one of the best New Year's Eves I've ever had (thank you Sean McDermott). Have we forgotten what it is like to have incompetency in the front office? Have we forgotten that they have brought us our first franchise QB in 25 years?

There are still 5 games left to right the ship, get into the playoffs, and possibly make a run. In the playoffs, everyone starts 0-0.

But even if that doesn't happen, I will be backing Beane and Mcdermott.

In that worst-case scenario (missing the playoffs or a quick exit), maybe it would be like the 90s team.  In 1988, they had a great record (12-4; a lot of close wins) and went to the AFC Championship game where they were disappointed by the Bengals. In '99, they took a step back with a 9-7 record and a divisional playoff loss to the Browns. Then they went on the run of 4 Super Bowl appearances. Let's not try to kill the momentum that is building. Most success stories are not a straight line up to the top. There are always a few setbacks or apparent regressions along the way---two steps forward, one step back. 

Now, I'm definitely not putting this season to bed...they can still turn it around and make a run (there are no dominant teams in the AFC this year---once in the playoffs, every game will be up for grabs). But ultimately, maybe this team just needs one more season of acquisitions and seasoning/experience to be true, perennial Super Bowl contenders. I don't know about you all, but I want to stick to the process. We're so close.

Go Bills!!!!

I would have hated seeing this board if it existed during the super bowl years. One blow out loss "this is not a super bowl team". If we had a bad first half "Levy is gotta go" lol. There's no reason to be down on this regime

A little more perspective, or perhaps a thought exercise: take away Josh Allen

Pretty gross, yeah? They're honestly running a perennial 5-11 (guess 12 now) operation without our top QB. I'm keeping the door open in case they can run the table in the regular season, but I can't wrap my head around some of the conservative calls these last few weeks, especially when truly the vast majority of their current credibility rides on the arm of the blue chip, mutant QB...I simply just don't get it.

I'm starting to feel like McDermott's naturally very Jauron-like in a lot of ways, and that his talent is almost outplaying his conservative philosophies in spite of him. The team from top to bottom's got time to make it all work, but if this season fails, or worse fails miserably, I'm completely off the McBeane train.

It's all about Josh Allen at this point. Dude's going to put up another 4,000+ passing yards, maybe even 40+ TD season regardless of what happens. If this regime can't build around him, get one that can. He's more important than anybody at this point.

Edited by Nelius
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

On 12/10/2021 at 2:07 PM, Success said:

Great post.  Like you said, the wounds are "old & deep" w/ the Pats.  I don't think any Bills fans can be too rational in the immediate aftermath of a game like that.

BB is a better coach than McD, at least right now. And he coached a hurricane kind of game better than McD did (with a team that's more built for that kind of condition).  That doesn't mean McD isn't a good coach, or isn't one of the best coaches in the league.

I'm still very optimistic.  If we beat the Bucs on Sunday, this whole board will sound very different.

Yeah, I saw a recent ranking of NFL head coaches that had McDermott as #5.  That can be debated but the bottom line is that the opinion of those writers count more than that of some on here.

• Like (+1) 1

On 12/10/2021 at 5:04 PM, Nextmanup said:

This made me laugh out loud!  

With all due respect, who gives a rat's ass who is good or bad on a football team?

You think BB cares about that?  

He cares about wins.  

I wish we had a few more of them than we do have, but of course we are still a GOOD TEAM and I agree we will make the playoffs.

All hope is not yet lost!

I would care about whether or not someone is bad, taking lolly pops from babies, drowning furry creatures and the like. So you asked who cares if we have bad people? Count me as one! 

8 hours ago, Nelius said:

A little more perspective, or perhaps a thought exercise: take away Josh Allen

Pretty gross, yeah? They're honestly running a perennial 5-11 (guess 12 now) operation without our top QB. I'm keeping the door open in case they can run the table in the regular season, but I can't wrap my head around some of the conservative calls these last few weeks, especially when truly the vast majority of their current credibility rides on the arm of the blue chip, mutant QB...I simply just don't get it.

I'm starting to feel like McDermott's naturally very Jauron-like in a lot of ways, and that his talent is almost outplaying his conservative philosophies in spite of him. The team from top to bottom's got time to make it all work, but if this season fails, or worse fails miserably, I'm completely off the McBeane train.

It's all about Josh Allen at this point. Dude's going to put up another 4,000+ passing yards, maybe even 40+ TD season regardless of what happens. If this regime can't build around him, get one that can. He's more important than anybody at this point.

I’ve been a huge “McBeane” supporter from the beginning. We needed someone to clean up this franchise. They built a much needed culture, freeing this franchise of the negative vibe that existed at OBD. None of that should give coaching a free pass in 2021. Allen might be the best QB in the league right now. You don’t go 7-6, and 0-5 in one score games with the best QB in the league. The Chiefs started slowly, but are starting to figure things out, and every other team with a high level QB is successful. I haven’t given up on McDermott, but all these excuses can’t continue to be valid for years to come. 

• Agree 1

12 hours ago, folz said:

True...we are 2.5 games behind the Pats right now (looks bad). But, if we beat Carolina and the Pats lose to the Colts, we are at 1.5 back. The next week we face each other. If we beat the Pats on the rematch, then we are even (same record and 1-1 head-to-head). Buffalo would win the tie breaker at that point with a better division record (4-1 to 3-2). 

Pats then close the season with Jax and Mia. Bills close with Atlanta and Jets.

So, if we win out, all we need to take the division is for the Pats to lose one game to either Colts (very possible), Jax (not likely), Miami (Phins always play Pats tough and Miami has been playing much better of late).

Take care of business in Carolina and the rematch with New England and the division should still be ours.

In Buffalo. The Bills have 3 home games left Panthers, Falcons, Jets. I know anything can happen (see Jags game) but if the Bills beat the Pats at NE then they have a great shot at running the table. They should handle business for all remaining home games.

Every reason to be bitterly disappointed in the season with regard to coach and GM. I'm not calling for their ouster but they killed momentum with personnel decisions in the offseason as well as GameDay. By standing pat with an O-line that got dominated by KC last year and to rely on a d-line anchored by Hughes, Star and Addison, with an unproven draft class of undersized kids along with an underachieving Epenesa. These poor decisions were exacerbated by the inability to acquire depth at RB or TE, resulting in a negligible running attack and limited protection for our great young QB. When a team gets to the conference championship and then cannot beat a team over 500% except a depleted KC early on , you have to be concerned about coaches and the braintrust.

• Agree 1

On 12/10/2021 at 5:15 PM, ScottLaw said:

The deficiencies are pretty obvious(interior offensive line, speed at wide receiver, interior defensive line) and they are all somewhat easy to address…

Easy to address? Great OLinemen and interior DLinemen are just sitting there on magical shelves, waiting for Beane to harvest them?

Of course it's the weakness of the team but nope, it's not so easily fixed! 32 teams are hiring, vying for these top players, and there is a thing called salary cap.

Do I wish the Bills had the Colts OLine? Yeah but I'm sure the Colts fans would love an exciting guy like Josh and our entertaining team. All teams have weaknesses. 

Here's an honest question that's been discussed recently by some of the local bills media on podcast, where would this team be right now if Beane hadn't drafted Josh Allen?

The answer is obviously the difference why this current regime is no different than Whaley/Ryan/Marrone, Nix/Gailey, etc.

You take away one obvious hit, and Beane's drafts have been terrible and outside of the 2017 playoffs to end the drought without Allen on a team still mostly comprised of remnants of the previous regime we are probably sitting here talking about 4 straight seasons again without them next month.

3 hours ago, HamptonBillsfan said:

Every reason to be bitterly disappointed in the season with regard to coach and GM. I'm not calling for their ouster but they killed momentum with personnel decisions in the offseason as well as GameDay. By standing pat with an O-line that got dominated by KC last year and to rely on a d-line anchored by Hughes, Star and Addison, with an unproven draft class of undersized kids along with an underachieving Epenesa. These poor decisions were exacerbated by the inability to acquire depth at RB or TE, resulting in a negligible running attack and limited protection for our great young QB. When a team gets to the conference championship and then cannot beat a team over 500% except a depleted KC early on , you have to be concerned about coaches and the braintrust.

Well Hampton,  I may not agree with you on Edmunds but you are absolutely 100% right on this. Beane and McDermott should not be going anywhere. Yes they have flaws in their jobs but their positives should outweigh the negatives. They need to sit down together and realize the future of this team has to be building a monster offense around your superstar. I know it goes against every fiber in McD's defensive nature. I'm convinced if we had spent more resources on the OL/RB last offseason we would not have lost to Pittsburgh,  Jacksonville and that 1st NE game. That would put us at 10-3. If they continue to value defense over offense in the next couple years then it will reflect terribly on this organization. 

1 hour ago, FilthyBeast said:

Here's an honest question that's been discussed recently by some of the local bills media on podcast, where would this team be right now if Beane hadn't drafted Josh Allen?

The answer is obviously the difference why this current regime is no different than Whaley/Ryan/Marrone, Nix/Gailey, etc.

You take away one obvious hit, and Beane's drafts have been terrible and outside of the 2017 playoffs to end the drought without Allen on a team still mostly comprised of remnants of the previous regime we are probably sitting here talking about 4 straight seasons again without them next month.

Is the difference between a good organization and a bad one simply whether or not they lucked their way into a good quarterback?

It's interesting to compare organizations with the same caliber of QBs.

Look at New England vs. Green Bay.  Look at what NE did with Brady, and look at what Green Bay did with Rodgers.

Either of those guys are more than good enough to win you a pile of rings.

The difference is one organization actually did it, and the other didn't.

• Like (+1) 1

I have a hard time taking anyone serious who actually thinks McD or Beane needs to be fired.  

It’s one of the most illogical rants I’ve seen around here since last year.  

I mean we went 13-3 last year and after losses some people were foolishly saying the same thing.  It’s hilarious…we win, they are great.  If we don’t go undefeated then they should be fired.

1 hour ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Well Hampton,  I may not agree with you on Edmunds but you are absolutely 100% right on this. Beane and McDermott should not be going anywhere. Yes they have flaws in their jobs but their positives should outweigh the negatives. They need to sit down together and realize the future of this team has to be building a monster offense around your superstar. I know it goes against every fiber in McD's defensive nature. I'm convinced if we had spent more resources on the OL/RB last offseason we would not have lost to Pittsburgh,  Jacksonville and that 1st NE game. That would put us at 10-3. If they continue to value defense over offense in the next couple years then it will reflect terribly on this organization. 

Good analysis. These guys are such positive thinkers,sometimes they overvalue the  talent they bring in,and misjudge their ceiling. Josh overcomes most personnel mistakes, but as you so eloquently stated, to maximize his talents and protect him from injuries, the O-line must be fortified. A good back like Chubb or Harris would make us tough to deal with. 

Could it be that the Bills have been in the play offs more since he's been here than any of the past 17 yrs prior to him getting hired ?

The people that are asking for him to be fired are fools now it may be a bit different if all of the sudden the bottom drops out but this team is in better shape than it has been in a really long time and it just makes no sense what so ever that they want these people that turned the club around gone ... 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.