I hope the media and commentators keep praising the Patriots to the skies

Dr. K

I hope they keep trumpeting the Pats victory over the Bills as some astonishing overwhelming beatdown. I hope they keep saying that the Pats destroyed the Bills' defense, which was absolutely helpless against their brilliant play. That they are some unstoppable juggernaut. I hope the Patriots players believe all this and internalize it. 

Yes, they won, and in the standings that's all that matters. But all they proved was that in a game played in swirling winds of 35-55 mph, their running game is better than the Bills' passing game. 

The Pats had 11 first downs.

They punted on six of their nine possessions (before their kneel downs at the end). 

They had drives of -1, 5, 4, 4, and 6 yards (not counting their kneel downs at the end).

They out-gained the Bills by a total of 11 yards.

Their time of possession was 32 minutes to the Bills' 28.

They were 2 for 12 on third down conversions.

They scored one touchdown.

They totaled 14 points.

They won by four points.  

I'm not saying that The Bills don't have problems, or don't have to address them. But the prevailing wisdom about this game, the way it is being characterized, at least in its immediate aftermath, is not much more than noise.

The Bills are a better team than they showed, and I expect them to show it in these last five games. 

Edited by Dr. K
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Dr. K said:

I hope they keep trumpeting the Pats victory over the Bills as some astonishing overwhelming beatdown. I hope they keep saying that the Pats destroyed the Bills' defense, which was absolutely helpless against their brilliant play. That they are some unstoppable juggernaut. I hope the Patriots players believe all this and internalize it. 

Yes, they won, and in the standings that's all that matters. But all they proved was that in a game played in swirling winds of 35-55 mph, their running game is better than the Bills' passing game. 

They punted on six of their nine possessions (before their kneel downs at the end). 

They had drives of -1, 5, 4, 4, and 6 yards (not counting their kneel downs at the end).

They totaled 14 points.

They won by four points.  

I'm not saying that The Bills don't have problems, or don't have to address them. But the prevailing wisdom about this game, the way it is being characterized, at least in its immediate aftermath, is not much more than noise.

The Bills are a better team than they showed, and I expect them to show it in these last five games. 

Well they absolutely didn't have to throw the ball which I expect they will do just fine in the rematch

The Pats deserve any media attention they get.  They have the best record in the AFC, lead the division, lead the conference, and just won a pivotal game against the reigning division champion.  That said, I would not at all be surprised if they lose their next game against the Colts, the Bills beat the Bucs (no easy task, but certainly doable), the Panthers, and then beat New England in the re-match in a few weeks.  That would flip the narrative pretty quickly.  I personally am not that intersted in the media's opinions and don't really care what the narrative is.  I just want the Bills to be successful.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

We got beat by 4 points by the league's hottest team.   And the sky is falling?  New England's strength is their ground game, which the hellacious wind had no effect on.  Out strength is the passing game, which the wind definitely impacted.  The fact that we lost in those conditions wasn't surprising to me.

I'm proud of the way our team played.  The defense was getting pounded into all night and did not give up.  The offense tried valiantly to make something happen in the crazy wind.  Yes, there were mistakes - but just one or two breaks going our way instead of theirs and we'd have taken back 1st in the East and been the ones getting the glory.   

I just don't get so many saying we were humiliated by the great Patriots - the bottom line is the conditions drastically favored them.  You can talk all you want about how horrible we are because we don't have as good of a running game as we all want, but it does not mean we are out of this.  That was a really rare crazy windy night, not something I expect to see again any time soon, certainly not in any more of our games this year. 

I think the Bills will use all this as motivation and give them a nice payback in New England (like they did KC in KC).  Go Bills!

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

You're proud? Really? I don't know what to say to that.

You may be the only one. I doubt you'll find a single Bill proud of the team's performance here. They're not closing the curtain on the season. Nor should they. But that was an awful thing to watch, and I'm sure it felt just as bad to play in.

Close but no cigar is not a team motto that will see a lot of play in ad campaigns, and for good reason.

They need to cut the inconsistency and they need to play better. Pronto.

Edited by Thurman#1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Thurman#1 said:

You may be the only one. I doubt you'll find a single Bill proud of the team's performance here. They're not closing the curtain on the season. Nor should they. But that was an awful thing to watch, and I'm sure it felt just as bad to play in.

Close but no cigar is not a team motto that will see a lot of play in ad campaigns, and for good reason.

Reading comprehension is on the decline in the U.S.

Where did I say I was "proud" of that game? What I said was, "I'm not saying that The Bills don't have problems, or don't have to address them. But the prevailing wisdom about this game, the way it is being characterized, at least in its immediate aftermath, is not much more than noise."

38 minutes ago, Dr. K said:

Where did I say I was "proud" of that game? What I said was, "I'm not saying that The Bills don't have problems, or don't have to address them. But the prevailing wisdom about this game, the way it is being characterized, at least in its immediate aftermath, is not much more than noise."

Dr. K I think he was responding to my post just above, where I said "I'm proud of the way our team played.  The defense was getting pounded into all night and did not give up.  The offense tried valiantly to make something happen in the crazy wind.  Yes, there were mistakes - but just one or two breaks going our way instead of theirs and we'd have taken back 1st in the East and been the ones getting the glory."

49 minutes ago, Thurman#1 said:

Maybe I'm the only one who's proud, but in my eyes in that game they played with great heart under horrible conditions - conditions that were very heavily stacked against them.  

• Like (+1) 1

34 minutes ago, Georgia Bill said:

Dr. K I think he was responding to my post just above, where I said "I'm proud of the way our team played.  The defense was getting pounded into all night and did not give up.  The offense tried valiantly to make something happen in the crazy wind.  Yes, there were mistakes - but just one or two breaks going our way instead of theirs and we'd have taken back 1st in the East and been the ones getting the glory."

Maybe I'm the only one who's proud, but in my eyes in that game they played with great heart under horrible conditions - conditions that were very heavily stacked against them.  

I see. Sorry for my confusion.

If we are to assume the Bills play better as the underdog than they do the favorite, the timing of this season is working out perfectly.

We've gone from the toast of the league and SB favorite to wondering if we'll make the playoffs.

If and when we finally play a playoff game we are going to be thought of as an also-ran, and that might just perfect for this team.  

And playing on the road might result in a less nervous Josh Allen.

Edited by Nextmanup
  • Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, nedboy7 said:

Yes.  The AFC leading Pats suck and deserve no attention.  

This guy again lol. Can’t take you seriously with your noodle arm qb love. It’s just as the OP said, they only proved they can win with Mother Nature on their side, we’ll see in a few weeks buddy 

8 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

If we are to assume the Bills play better as the underdog than they do the favorite, the timing of this season is working out perfectly.

We've gone from the toast of the league and SB favorite to wondering if we'll make the playoffs.

If and when we finally play a playoff game we are going to be thought of as an also-ran, and that might just perfect for this team.  

And playing on the road might result in a less nervous Josh Allen.

I still believe we are going to the Super Bowl, and it probably eats nedboy up that I’m not bending the knee to his Patriots fandom. 

12 hours ago, Governor said:

Yup. No reason to alter the game plan for the rematch. It worked perfectly and will again.

That's a ridiculous hot take on that game. Georgia Bill sums it up in the following snippet of his post:

11 hours ago, Georgia Bill said:

New England's strength is their ground game, which the hellacious wind had no effect on.  Out strength is the passing game, which the wind definitely impacted.

Governor, the Patriots will be unable to win the game in New England if they employ the same plan, PERIOD. FFS, they almost lost the game that suits their strengths! I sure hope the Patriots try to run the ball all but 3 times. They will be annihilated at home, unless the weather is the same as it was in Buffalo (even if it is the Bills will throw the ball the entire time anyway and will win).

11 hours ago, Dr. K said:

"reading comprehension" is always invoked when a poster bombs a thread.

Anyway, there's a half million threads about this very topic leading up to that game.  I'm a pretty good reader and I don't see anything in your OP that covers any new ground.   Did you not comprehend that the topic  of those threads was the same as this one?

13 hours ago, Dr. K said:

They totaled 14 points.

They won by four points.  

at this point , none of this matters. They won and we lost

Haaa, a 4 point game win that New England almost lost. Big Kudos to Bellichick for coming up with an ingenious game plan to run the ball in a Hurricane.

I am sooooooo impressed

Edited by HOUSE
  • Haha (+1) 1

8 hours ago, HamSandwhich said:

This guy again lol. Can’t take you seriously with your noodle arm qb love. It’s just as the OP said, they only proved they can win with Mother Nature on their side, we’ll see in a few weeks buddy 

I still believe we are going to the Super Bowl, and it probably eats nedboy up that I’m not bending the knee to his Patriots fandom. 

Noodle arm beat us.  You better recognize buddy.  Stop underestimating your opponent.  Funny you take that as fandom.  You should read some history after you finish your sandwich. 

Eh? They led the division before the Bills game. They lead the division after the Bills game. They are also the current #1 AFC Seed. We are #7. Looking outside. I think your hypothesis needs work. Cause the data doesn't support it.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/2021-nfl-playoff-picture-standings-for-week-14-patriots-no-1-in-afc-washington-emerges-in-wild-nfc/

6 hours ago, Process said:

It has to be one of BBs least impressive wins as Pats head coach. The Bills handed them the game.

I don't know about that.  I think the Bills are the better team, the game was on the road, and we had the stud QB, not NE.

And BB still went home with the win. 

If BB was our coach this year, I bet our record is 3 wins better.  

20 hours ago, nedboy7 said:

Yes.  The AFC leading Pats suck and deserve no attention.  

...I mean at a certain point the Chiefs were leading the AFC, the Ravens, the Bengals, the Titans, the Chargers.  I mean I think the only team that hasn't been technically leading the AFC and is in the playoff picture currently is the Bills. Still more than 25% of the season to go, I expect the AFC leading team to change a few more times.

24 minutes ago, nedboy7 said:

Noodle arm beat us.  You better recognize buddy.  Stop underestimating your opponent.  Funny you take that as fandom.  You should read some history after you finish your sandwich. 

Uh he didn’t, he just handed it off. Work on your idea of beating someone, then we can talk. 

20 hours ago, Dr. K said:

They totaled 14 points.

They won by four points.  

They outgained Buffalo and only threw 3 times and still OUTGAINED Buffalo. 

The Bills D played well but when they needed a stop (3rd wettest into 4th) they gave up the longest drive of the game .. all runs and gave up the chip shot FG make it 14-10.

Buffalo was GIFTED a TD by Harry being Harry and being to dumb get away from the punted ball. 

They were gifted their FG as they got the questionable call for Personal foul for hitting him out of bounds. (Meanwhile Allen himself thought he was inbound and stretching) 

The Bills never forced the Pats to pass, when it got close the Pats pounded the ball down the field for a score.

Harris had 10 Carrie’s for 111 yards early in the 3rd when he got injured. At the point of his injury the Pats had gone for a. TD and FG. They then had to rely on a rookie to carry the load.

Any rematch will be a shootout. 

19 minutes ago, PatsFanNH said:

They outgained Buffalo and only threw 3 times and still OUTGAINED Buffalo. 

The Bills D played well but when they needed a stop (3rd wettest into 4th) they gave up the longest drive of the game .. all runs and gave up the chip shot FG make it 14-10.

Buffalo was GIFTED a TD by Harry being Harry and being to dumb get away from the punted ball. 

They were gifted their FG as they got the questionable call for Personal foul for hitting him out of bounds. (Meanwhile Allen himself thought he was inbound and stretching) 

The Bills never forced the Pats to pass, when it got close the Pats pounded the ball down the field for a score.

Harris had 10 Carrie’s for 111 yards early in the 3rd when he got injured. At the point of his injury the Pats had gone for a. TD and FG. They then had to rely on a rookie to carry the load.

Any rematch will be a shootout. 

Gifted what?

The Pats were GIFTED a botched coverage on the Harris run. 

The Pats were GIFTED a fumble by Breida not caused at all by the Pats

The Pats were GIFTED a dropped TD by Diggs

The Pats were GIFTED a visionless Moss not scoring an easy TD run on the outside

Like what even is this "gifted" nonsense.

The Bills defense made the pats go 3 and out when it came down to it. The bills offense subsequently drove all the way down to the 15 yard line (into the wind) and nearly won the game. 

I don't take issue with losing, but ffs this wasnt a thrashing. Your team eeked it out and the ball bounced (or blew) the right way for you.

Edited by What a Tuel
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

21 hours ago, Dr. K said:

They totaled 14 points.

They won by four points.  

Yep, it was a close game that could have gone either way.

But I think the hoopla is because so many people counted the Pats out this year.  Now they've won 7 in a row and defeated the new AFCE darlings in their home stadium.  And they did it, oddly enough, virtually without throwing the ball.   It's not just that the Pats beat the Bills.  It's the whole context that makes it newsworthy.

Not that I much care what the media talks about.  I only care if the Bills win or lose.  The rest is just noise.   

• Like (+1) 1

...I dunno if any of this is surprising. Regardless of who it is, the media tends to call teams on 7-game win streaks unstoppable, and ignore the nuances of their games. They did that with us last year. Heck they did that with us when we were on a 4-game win streak THIS year.  

Sure- they're using the streak as a way to validate the world's 20-year-old obsession with Belichick, but, I mean, they're just milking the situation for a story line. What else are they supposed to do with it?

31 minutes ago, What a Tuel said:

Gifted what?

The Pats were GIFTED a botched coverage on the Harris run. 

The Pats were GIFTED a fumble by Breida not caused at all by the Pats

The Pats were GIFTED a dropped TD by Diggs

The Pats were GIFTED a visionless Moss not scoring an easy TD run on the outside

Like what even is this "gifted" nonsense.

The Bills defense made the pats go 3 and out when it came down to it. The bills offense subsequently drove all the way down to the 15 yard line (into the wind) and nearly won the game. 

I don't take issue with losing, but ffs this wasnt a thrashing. Your team eeked it out and the ball bounced (or blew) the right way for you.

I don’t think the word GIFTED means what you think it means… every thing you mentioned was a player in the game not a bad call adding 15 yards for no good reason.. 

we relied it out because they only threw 3 times and our top RB Went down early in the 3rd quarter. 

• Disagree 1

57 minutes ago, PatsFanNH said:

I don’t think the word GIFTED means what you think it means… every thing you mentioned was a player in the game not a bad call adding 15 yards for no good reason.. 

we relied it out because they only threw 3 times and our top RB Went down early in the 3rd quarter. 

"The Bills D played well but when they needed a stop (3rd wettest into 4th) they gave up the longest drive of the game"

But the Bills D did stop them when they needed a stop and gave the Bills offense the ability to win.

"Buffalo was GIFTED a TD by Harry being Harry and being to dumb get away from the punted ball. "

Player in the game doing something silly (aka Brieda fumbling a handoff) resulting in the next Pats TD drive with the run by Harris.

"They were gifted their FG as they got the questionable call for Personal foul for hitting him out of bounds. (Meanwhile Allen himself thought he was inbound and stretching) "

I don't even think that was a free first down. He had the first down. 1st down and you are saying we may not have driven 15 more yards? Maybe, maybe not, but not any worse than the questionable non call on laying out Allen with all his weight, or last play of the game or two when Allen got hammered seconds after throwing the ball.

"The Bills never forced the Pats to pass, when it got close the Pats pounded the ball down the field for a score."

The pats pounded the ball down the field for a single field goal. That isn't world beater, that is actually less than ideal for your team. Harris had a good run on a single broken play otherwise. 

"Harris had 10 Carrie’s for 111 yards early in the 3rd when he got injured. At the point of his injury the Pats had gone for a. TD and FG. They then had to rely on a rookie to carry the load."

Harris's 10 carries for 111 yards amounted to 9 points (not counting the 2pt conversion)

1st Drive

2 carries 6 yards (punt)

2nd Drive

2 carries 6 yards (punt)

3rd drive

1 carry 64 yards (td)

4th drive

no runs (field goal)

5th drive

1 carry -4 yards (punt)

6th drive

2 carries 19 yards (punt)

7th drive

no runs (punt)

8th drive

1 carry 22 yards (field goal)

I mean thats just rewriting the narrative. 

Edited by What a Tuel

4 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

11 yards?  The Pats had 11 more yards.  You really want to make a deal of 11 yards?

Well was making the point since he made it seem like “well it’s only 11” when in fact it’s pretty impressive when they only had 19 passing yards.. that and for some reason he thinks a team gettin 3.5 yards a carry over 45 Carrie’s is good D. (That’s taking out the one long run TD)that’s horrid D, especially with 9 to 10 in the box constantly.. 

4 minutes ago, PatsFanNH said:

Well was making the point since he made it seem like “well it’s only 11” when in fact it’s pretty impressive when they only had 19 passing yards.. that and for some reason he thinks a team gettin 3.5 yards a carry over 45 Carrie’s is good D. (That’s taking out the one long run TD)that’s horrid D, especially with 9 to 10 in the box constantly.. 

Do you really want to argue that it isn’t “only 11”?

The Pats had a nice long play.  Good job.  Kudos.  You got one on us.  But you had the ball at that point because one of our players had a boneheaded fumble.

Different people have different metrics for defense.  I like to look at points more than yards - a good D can give up a lot of yards and not many points.  The Patriots had 11 first downs and converted 2 of 12 3rd downs to go with their 14 points.   You can look at it a couple ways - defense that was good enough to give our team a chance to win, or ??.  222 rush yards is crap rushing defense in general, but when a team rushes 46 times and scores 14 points, it ought to be good enough - except we didn’t score more points, despite only 11 fewer yards.

Conversely, a struggling offense can gain a lot of yards but not score points.  The Bills had their chances to score on 4 trips to the red zone, and came away with 1 TD and 2 scores.  That ain’t good.  You can look at that a couple of ways - amazing defense by the Pats, or poor execution by the Bills offense

8 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Do you really want to argue that it isn’t “only 11”?

The Pats had a nice long play.  Good job.  Kudos.  You got one on us.  But you had the ball at that point because one of our players had a boneheaded fumble.

Different people have different metrics for defense.  I like to look at points more than yards - a good D can give up a lot of yards and not many points.  The Patriots had 11 first downs and converted 2 of 12 3rd downs to go with their 14 points.   You can look at it a couple ways - defense that was good enough to give our team a chance to win, or ??.  222 rush yards is crap rushing defense in general, but when a team rushes 46 times and scores 14 points, it ought to be good enough - except we didn’t score more points, despite only 11 fewer yards.

Conversely, a struggling offense can gain a lot of yards but not score points.  The Bills had their chances to score on 4 trips to the red zone, and came away with 1 TD and 2 scores.  That ain’t good.  You can look at that a couple of ways - amazing defense by the Pats, or poor execution by the Bills offense

Hey it’s a mulligan for boneheaded plays since both teams had one.. difference was .. one was a gift at the opposing 15 yard line the other a Gift in their own 40.

My point is, I’m not going be afraid of the Bills D in normal weather. You couldn’t really stop the run game with 10 and if the Pats are passing  you can’t put that many in the box.. So as I have said I expect a shootout in Foxborough.

2 hours ago, PatsFanNH said:

Hey it’s a mulligan for boneheaded plays since both teams had one.. difference was .. one was a gift at the opposing 15 yard line the other a Gift in their own 40.

My point is, I’m not going be afraid of the Bills D in normal weather. You couldn’t really stop the run game with 10 and if the Pats are passing  you can’t put that many in the box.. So as I have said I expect a shootout in Foxborough.

Again you had 1 long run on a broken defensive play. Most of the time your running was ineffective and equated to two field goals.

We aren't afraid of your run game. But sure it is more challenging than your passing game.

1st Drive

2 carries 7 yards (punt)

2nd Drive

3 carries 5 yards (punt)

3rd drive

3 carries 69 yards (td)

4th drive

7 carries 40 yards (field goal)

5th drive

3 carries 4 yards (punt)

6th drive

4 carries 25 yards (punt)

7th drive

5 carries 17 yards (punt)

8th drive

13 carry 59 yards (field goal)

9th drive

2 carries 6 yards (punt)

17 minutes ago, What a Tuel said:

Again you had 1 long run on a broken defensive play. Most of the time your running was ineffective and equated to two field goals.

We aren't afraid of your run game. But sure it is more challenging than your passing game.

1st Drive

2 carries 7 yards (punt)

2nd Drive

3 carries 5 yards (punt)

3rd drive

3 carries 69 yards (td)

4th drive

7 carries 40 yards (field goal)

5th drive

3 carries 4 yards (punt)

6th drive

4 carries 25 yards (punt)

7th drive

5 carries 17 yards (punt)

8th drive

13 carry 59 yards (field goal)

9th drive

2 carries 6 yards (punt)

They averaged 3.5 yards a carry..  you had 9-10 guys in the box.. Again in regular weather you couldn’t do that and if you did Borne and Henry amongst others would burn you. Again your D did NOT do a good job stopping the run when you realize they needed 9-10 guys keep it at 3.5 yards a carry.. 

in normal weather the Pats score every drive (unless of course someone drops a pass or fumbles etc) your D doesn’t scare me or any team with a run game and a QB able make accurate throws. 

the next game probably is a shootout.

Edited by PatsFanNH
  • Eyeroll 1

I agree w/ others that the Pats deserve all of the attention right now.   A 7 game winning streak is remarkable no matter what the circumstances.

That said, I do believe there is a good chance that is a lot of smoke & mirrors.  I didn't think that their 6-game winning streak was as impressive as it sounded given the favorable situation they had in most of those games. I thought that the Bills would be able to beat them at home and mellow out the national media a bit - but, wind.

They're not the Brady Pats.  They're a sound, balanced football team that doesn't make too many mistakes - but they're not capable of running away from good teams and dominating the league like they did in the old days.  You just need to get a lead on that team & they'll turn into a pumpkin.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.