Patriots at Bills: Game Week Thread (v2)

BuffaloBillyG

I'll watch the highlights after the game, as I live in Maine, and it will be completely full of Cheatriots propagandist rhetoric.  If we lose it'll just be another game that should've been winnable with this roster.  If that's the case we'll have to look for more studs then duds in the draft classes next year.  Because, without Tre White it could mean we don't even sniff playoffs.  

45 minutes ago, nucci said:

every time it's on...Riddick, Griese and Levy are awful

that crew is the absolute worst. I actually used to like each of them when they were separate— but together, they are just unwatchable. 

Griese is the worst of the bunch. His analysis is so bad, and often wrong. Also, all he ever talks about is “leverage”— count how many times he says it each week. It’s like 20-30 + times.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3

14 minutes ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

that crew is the absolute worst. I actually used to like each of them when they were separate— but together, they are just unwatchable. 

Griese is the worst of the bunch. His analysis is so bad, and often wrong. Also, all he ever talks about is “leverage”— count how many times he says it each week. It’s like 20-30 + times.

I agree with this more than you can imagine. I have really struggled with Monday night games this year because of the crew. You are right on with Griese, Riddick has knowledge but tries too hard and Levy is just a complete tool. I feel like the producers have way too big an impact on this canned presentation of a show. Let's see how many times we can use a buzz word!

I also feel like they only cover one team much of the time.

Edited by D. L. Hot-Flamethrower
  • Agree 1

"This is a much more worthy topic.  I'd like to see a study of Patriots injury designations vs games played over the last 30 years vs league average."

Stole this quote from a locked thread as the first thing I thought of was Brady ;)

Is it legal for the Cheaters to still list Marcia as questionable with a shoulder injury?

J/K but check out the injury reports for years past and I think he was on most of them ;) 

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, D. L. Hot-Flamethrower said:

I agree with this more than you can imagine. I have really struggled with Monday night games this year because of the crew. You are right on with Griese, Riddick has knowledge but tries too hard and Levy is just a complete tool. I feel like the producers have way too big an impact on this canned presentation of a show. Let's see how many times we can use a buzz word!

I feel like Riddick was on this course to be great, but and someone from ESPN pulled him aside and told him to mix in more hot takes or polarizing commentary to market himself.

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, RichRiderBills said:

I feel like Riddick was on this course to be great, but and someone from ESPN pulled him aside and told him to mix in more hot takes or polarizing commentary to market himself.

I agree, he has knowledge.

Reminds me of when Tony Romo first came on the scene 3-4 years ago. I said to my son enjoy him now because the producers will screw him up too in time. These guys come on the scene and are refreshing, honest and knowledgeable, then someone decides to take away the rough edges and they're just like the rest.

Edited by D. L. Hot-Flamethrower

30 minutes ago, D. L. Hot-Flamethrower said:

Riddick trying too hard is a great observation. That’s the vibe I get from him And the entire crew. Nothing is natural— way too forced. 

Here's my day before take;

I feel the Bills win in this one. I think we'll be fired up and snapping. I think Allen's track record is "great" play on prime time games. If Allen is great, this team will roll.

• One we are very good at home, going 12-3 over the past 2 years, and have not lost 2 in a row at home in a long time. 
  • Second its Monday night, the environment will be electric, the scene hostile.
  • Third is the Mac Jones factor; he's a rookie and bound to implode now and then. He's going to be in a setting the likes of which he's never seen. He has no history outside a semi-blustery Titans game of playing well in cold, inclement weather. It's going to be Ragnarok for him Monday night.
  • The run Defense is not as bad as everyone says. Truth is, we stop the run pretty well, and have only had a few breakdowns in tackling against elite runners. Even so, I expect the return of Star to be a big push. I'm not going to say we don't have flaws in the running game on offense, but we rush for more yards than the Patriots.
  • Our higher rush yards per game than the Pats is a kind of interesting stat, because we always stick to the pass, even when winning (big), whereas another team like NE with high point differential will run more to run out a clock.
  • Many people say this is a "bad matchup" but is it? The Bills have improved against the TE over the last year. Milano and crew are good coverage backers, and the nickel works well against short passing teams. We were generally pretty good against top rushing teams in 2020 and 2021.
  • Having watched a few Patriot's games during this streak as well, I really see a different team. They are flawed. Mac Jones makes some good plays, but is limited and not the kind of "holy crap" accurate guy Brady is. I just don't see Joe Montana or the "GOAT" just yet, though I think this kid is a sound player who will likely have a good career. Nor do I see the Patriots as any kind of juggernaut. The bottom will fall out from time to time, and given everything
  • They do a lot good as well, and are a well coached and sound football team. That wont win the day Monday Night in Buffalo.

I know it's cliche, but this game will come down to :

• Turnovers...the Pats thrive off them, so do we, and that is really the bottom line.
  • Allen. He's a great NFL player. Not perfect but he will be the best player out there Sunday. Yup, he can burn hot, but yes...he CAN wreck another team's game plan too.
  • Can the Bills get a big lead early to take the Patriots out of their rhythm? This is key to putting more on Jones.
  • Judon...limit this guy enough to take the edge off. 
  • Special Teams. Especially not letting up any kind of punt block. ST always huge in these Pats games. Recall out fake last year.

Edited by RichRiderBills
  • Like (+1) 6
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Good article in TBN interviewing ST coach Heath Farwell

Not sure if it's behind their paywall, so key points:

-knows that ST could swing the game

-Bass was out there kicking in the swirling winds and rain on Thursday

-Farwell thinks Haack is "improving" and "heading in the right direction" and his last 2 games have been his best (but he offers bad weather as a reason for initial inconsistency, so.....I hope he's 'gotten over it').  Loves him as a holder for Bass

On ST players:

BN: Why has the team’s kickoff and punt coverage been exceptional?

HF: We’ve got great players. Between our two gunners outside, Siran Neal and Taiwan Jones, those guys are unbelievable. If Taiwan's not making tackles, he's drawing penalties. Nobody's drawn more penalties on kickoffs in the league. He's just a force. You got to double team and he's just always a factor, disruptive. And then Siran is just super disruptive and productive tackling.

Those guys control the outside and then Tyler Matakevich, he controls the inside and is just a factor every single time down the field. He's just a missile down the field and just finds a way to get to the ball. It’s something you can't teach.

Jake Kumerow has been great for us. Reggie Gilliam and Jaquan Johnson have been really good. I have great players across the board.

On our returners:

BN: How do you choose between Isaiah McKenzie and Marquez “Speedy” Stevenson as kick returners?

HF: I'm very lucky to have two really good returners. Isaiah is a guy that's worked at it so much since he's been here and starting in the offseason, he's worked his butt off on JUGS (machines) and everything else. And nobody supported “Speedy” more than him on the sideline. He was helping coach him up. He's just on everything. He's professional. I told him, “Stay ready. You don't know when this could be the week. You never know when your opportunity's going to come.” So, he gets another opportunity, I'm sure he'll take full advantage of it.

Speedy, since we got him here, he's worked his butt off. He came into training camp and had some injuries to kind of work through, but once he got going, he's always catching JUGS and he's always trying to get better and he's improved tremendously. He's got great speed. He's just got tremendous upside. And he's kind of the same as Bass as far as he's a competitor. He wants to do it. He's eager.

Even when he was injured, he was coming to my office all the time. “Hey, let's watch tape together.” He's over there taking notes on other returners across the league and watching Andre Roberts. He's a guy that's eager and hungry and competitive. He'll stop at nothing to be great at it.

McDermott was ambiguous on who the returner would be, but Farwell sounds like it's Stevenson's job for now.

Kyle Duggar still on Covid list, didn't practice Saturday.

https://www.bostonglobe.com/2021/12/04/sports/kyle-dugger-still-under-covid-19-protocol-leaving-his-status-against-bills-limbo/

In theory, he could test negative and be symptom-free today and tomorrow and be activated on Monday for the Monday nite game.

The NFL's chief medical officer says 20% of the vaccinated players return sooner than 10 days, which means 80% of those who test positive take 10 days even though vaccinated.

24 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

https://www.bostonglobe.com/2021/12/04/sports/kyle-dugger-still-under-covid-19-protocol-leaving-his-status-against-bills-limbo/

In theory, he could test negative and be symptom-free today and tomorrow and be activated on Monday for the Monday nite game.

The NFL's chief medical officer says 20% of the vaccinated players return sooner than 10 days, which means 80% of those who test positive take 10 days even though vaccinated.

Was surprised to see TJ Watt put on the list Monday and test out by yesterday. 

2 hours ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

it's ridiculous how all broadcasters just speak in cliches now. It's why listening to the Manning's is great. Peyton getting pissed at bad play calls is the best.

28 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, nucci said:

it's ridiculous how all broadcasters just speak in cliches now. It's why listening to the Manning's is great. Peyton getting pissed at bad play calls is the best.

Agreed. The issue that I have is that they will often go into a lull where Eli tries to force some comedy. Their insight is excellent, but the show can go dry for 10+ minutes which is tedious.

1 minute ago, MiltonWaddams said:

Agreed. The issue that I have is that they will often go into a lull where Eli tries to force some comedy. Their insight is excellent, but the show can go dry for 10+ minutes which is tedious.

I agree as well....I don't like when they have guests but Eli does have some good moving quotes sometimes

2 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

Any reports on the media outlets talking ***** about the Bills again so I can get really mad????  

Boomer Esiason just said the Pats can stop the run, but the Bills can't.  Ummmm.... the Pats just gave up 270 rush yards to Titans backups and Tannehill.

GO APESHIT DUDE!!

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Good article in TBN interviewing ST coach Heath Farwell

Not sure if it's behind their paywall, so key points:

-knows that ST could swing the game

-Bass was out there kicking in the swirling winds and rain on Thursday

-Farwell thinks Haack is "improving" and "heading in the right direction" and his last 2 games have been his best (but he offers bad weather as a reason for initial inconsistency, so.....I hope he's 'gotten over it').  Loves him as a holder for Bass

On ST players:

On our returners:

McDermott was ambiguous on who the returner would be, but Farwell sounds like it's Stevenson's job for now.

Trust in Haack as the holder is underrated - I seem to recall Bojo forgetting to turn the laces out a few times.  Haack still seems to be punting in quicksand which scares the hell out of me but the fieldgoal kicking game has been tight this year.

47 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

This is going to be huge.  Wonder if we can find out if he tests negative today.

2. Dugger's void: Possibly because he is so soft-spoken, Patriots second-year safety Kyle Dugger doesn't generate a lot of media attention despite his growing impact on the defense (team-high 75 tackles). So it was no surprise the significance of his placement on the reserve/COVID-19 list last week -- and the growing likelihood of his absence Monday night -- seemed underplayed to me over the last five days. The Patriots are one of only two teams in the NFL to have three primary safeties (Devin McCourty, Dugger, Adrian Phillips) average more than 80% playing time, which reflects how the three-safety package is their base personnel (Washington is the other). The drop off after that trio -- with Myles Bryant likely the next safety up, and then Joejuan Williams bumping to the third corner spot in Bryant's place -- seems major. Especially against a pass-first team like the Bills.

https://www.espn.com/blog/new-england-patriots/post/_/id/4824348/kurt-warner-impressed-with-patriots-qb-mac-jones-says-rookies-ceiling-still-a-mystery

2 minutes ago, DBilz2500 said:

Is he that big of a difference in this game?

Huge 

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Agree 2

5 minutes ago, DBilz2500 said:

Is he that big of a difference in this game?

Maybe, maybe not.  I worry about his hitting power, especially in the weather they’re expecting.  I think he’s be covering  vs Knox a fair amount and I like his chances in that matchup.  He’s their leading tackler and is solid vs the short passing game.  He lines up ALL OVER the field.  In the box, outside the box, in the slot, on the edge. That kind of versatility allows BB to call a different game.  I think they’ll miss him and in, what I think will be a close game, every drive matters.  He helps their D end drives .

5 hours ago, eball said:

Yeah, I’m kind of the opposite.  The Mannings offer “real” insight into what’s going on, and most of the time the regular broadcasters are annoying to me anyway.  I’m going to try it; I’ll let you know how it goes.

Enjoy man!

56 minutes ago, LeGOATski said:

But Cowher and I believe Simms picked the Bills to win tomorrow. 

Simms, seriously?  He picked the Patriots in his show with Florio.  23-20, Florio picked the Pats 27-23.

~44:46 minutes in if this link doesn't take you right there.

He said that the Bills D won't be able to stop the run if they're faced with a team that can pass well enough to make a game of it, and the Bills O can't run so the Pats D can shut us down. 

So if he picked the Pats, that would be an about-face

Just now, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Simms, seriously?  He picked the Patriots in his show with Florio.  23-20, Florio picked the Pats 27-23.

~44:46 minutes in if this link doesn't take you right there.

He said that the Bills D won't be able to stop the run if they're faced with a team that can pass well enough to make a game of it, and the Bills O can't run so the Pats D can shut us down. 

So if he picked the Pats, that would be an about-face

The older Simms....the one on the show referenced in the post I quoted.

48 minutes ago, Johnnycage46 said:

image.thumb.png.494218d97626dba5ba29102fc31686c4.png

I love those 'experts'. When the season started they had KC as the absolute class of the AFC. Then it was the Bills who were the best. Then it was the Chargers. Then it was the Titans, and now it's absolutely, positively, definitely the Pats.

If the Bills win they'll go back to being absolutely the team to beat in the AFC.

Not one of these guys has the guts to stick with their convictions

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.