First Live Concert?

SinceThe70s

First ever live concert was a band called The Rolling Stones (you may have heard of them, kind of a big deal back then), in a little place called Rich Stadium in August of 1975. I was 15 years old. They had bedsheets hanging from the upper bowl with menus for what drugs they were selling in that particular location. I thought I had stepped through the looking glass…….

That was my first time seeing the Stones, and by far the best. There is always a special place for your first, and that goes for concerts too. 

I bet some of you were there too! 

Edited by Augie
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, The Poojer said:

Own it!  I bet in a weird way Lawrence Welk put on an entertaining show.  

Ha!  I still remember waiting after the show to meet some of the band members, so they could sign my program.

Too bad I didn't keep it.  It would be worth a FORTUNE by now!

• Like (+1) 1

50 minutes ago, Bad Things said:

Ha!  I still remember waiting after the show to meet some of the orchestra members, so they could sign my program.

Too bad I didn't keep it.  It would be worth a FORTUNE by now!

Got you covered.

Kiss and Brownsville Station and the Niagara Fall Convention Center April 14th 1976 the day after my 15th birthday.  We left the Batavia area around 10am and spent the day in the parking lot of the convention center smoking cigarettes and other things.  We listened to Kiss's sound check through the doors.  When the doors opened we rushed in and were about 5-10 feet from the stage.  Brownsville Station put on a great show.  Then between them and Kiss it began to get real crowded up front.  I mean REAL crowded.  It was scary as *****.  So we bailed and went to the bleachers.  We watched them pulling people from the in front of the stage during the whole show.  The tragedy in Houston recently reminded me of it.  We were driving home and we were lost.  I looked out the window and said "what's that?  That water??"  Yeah it was Lake Ontario.  

• Awesome! (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Doc said:

First professional band concert was The Kinks during their "Come Dancing" Tour.  Saw them at the Rochester War Memorial (looked it up, it was December 18th, 1984). 

I was there, just moved to Syracuse for my 1st professional job with Carrier. Got a ticket the day of the show & went by myself. Tommy Shaw was the opener & after the 1st song, I decided I did not want to see Tommy Shaw, so I walked out looking for a bar. Saw the Continental & thought of the same-named great punk club in Buffalo where I saw bands like Lords of the New Church & Generation X, so I went inside & sat at the bar. After a minute, I realized that there were no women inside and guys were eyeballing me, WTF!?!, so I ran out & went back to the concert. Kinks were good, but after the Continental, I was not in a good mood. :thumbdown:

8 hours ago, Augie said:

First ever live concert was a band called The Rolling Stones (you may have heard of them, kind of a big deal back then), in a little place called Rich Stadium in August of 1975. I was 15 years old. They had bedsheets hanging from the upper bowl with menus for what drugs they were selling in that particular location. I thought I had stepped through the looking glass…….

That was my first time seeing the Stones, and by far the best. There is always a special place for your first, and that goes for concerts too. 

I bet some of you were there too! 

Guilty. They played the Aud earlier that year, then later added Rich Stadium to close the tour on the East Coast. Both shows were great.

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

15 hours ago, Bad Things said:

October 1984 - Rush - Rochester War Memorial  (Grace Under Pressure Tour)

I should admit that my first "real" concert however was when my parents dragged me along with them to see the Lawrence Welk band play in Rochester one year when I was a little kid. Ha!

True anecdotal story..  Hubby as a young child was at Disneyland in anaheim ..back then they would have musical acts perform. So as he tells the story his dad took he and his sister and much to their consternation made them Sit because they WERE going to stay to hear who was performing...it was Duke Ellington. lol wow....go to disneyland and see duke ellington who'da thunk it?

he is glad dad was firm and made him see this performance of course the last thing he wanted to do was sit at disneyland right?

haha 

m

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

4 hours ago, Rico said:

I was there, just moved to Syracuse for my 1st professional job with Carrier. Got a ticket the day of the show & went by myself. Tommy Shaw was the opener & after the 1st song, I decided I did not want to see Tommy Shaw, so I walked out looking for a bar. Saw the Continental & thought of the same-named great punk club in Buffalo where I saw bands like Lords of the New Church & Generation X, so I went inside & sat at the bar. After a minute, I realized that there were no women inside and guys were eyeballing me, WTF!?!, so I ran out & went back to the concert. Kinks were good, but after the Continental, I was not in a good mood. :thumbdown:

Guilty. They played the Aud earlier that year, then later added Rich Stadium to close the tour on the East Coast. Both shows were great.

@Augie roll call for the stones rich stadium show YEP I was there with a group of friends...went with one group went home with another wild times y'all...My buddy jimbob had a custom tuxedo Im talking like a polyester Rolling Stones promotional tour coat....yes it was a freakin tuxedo coat emblazed with the rolling stones logo ....LOL I thought it was freaking hideous and hilarious at the same time as I recall.......oh my gosh whata memory.

I was fortunate to have been able to attend several of those 4 band stadium shows .

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Ned Flanders said:

America, with Eric Carmen as the opener.  Rochester War Memorial, April 1976.

15 minutes ago, Doc said:

Did you see the concert all by yourself?

Nah - he took a horse. Don't ask about its name.

• Haha (+1) 3

32 minutes ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

You poor, poor man.  Took her out beforehand to 'Steak and Ale', or 'The Olive Garden'?

2 minutes ago, The Poojer said:

Common man, i bet America was pretty awesome, and hopefully Eric Carmen reached into his Rasberries repertoire

And then went all the way.

• Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Ned Flanders said:

May have actually been The Ground Round...:lol:

Around my 16th birthday, my sister and brother-in-law took me to my first concert (mentioned upthread). They bought tickets for me and 2 friends, drove us from Jamestown to Buffalo, dropped us off at The Aud, picked us up after the show, and took us to The Ground Round for a late-nite snack. They'd taken me there before when I was younger and they used to take me to Braves and Bills games. I always thought it was cool that you could swipe your peanut shells on the floor. Not exactly a great cuisine trademark, and certainly not a date night place, but appealing to kids.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

12 hours ago, Muppy said:

@Augie roll call for the stones rich stadium show YEP I was there with a group of friends...went with one group went home with another wild times y'all...My buddy jimbob had a custom tuxedo Im talking like a polyester Rolling Stones promotional tour coat....yes it was a freakin tuxedo coat emblazed with the rolling stones logo ....LOL I thought it was freaking hideous and hilarious at the same time as I recall.......oh my gosh whata memory.

I was fortunate to have been able to attend several of those 4 band stadium shows .

I bought a tuxedo at the Stones concert at Rich Stadium in 1978... maybe the same kind your friend had. It was blue and white, had the Stones logo on it and said: TuxEgo welcomes the Rolling Stones to Rich Stadium, July 4, 1978. I bought it in the parking lot for $10. After the concert, when I walked in my house wearing it my Mother said: How much money did you spend on that?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Bills4everNY said:

I bought a tuxedo at the Stones concert at Rich Stadium in 1978... maybe the same kind your friend had. It was blue and white, had the Stones logo on it and said: TuxEgo welcomes the Rolling Stones to Rich Stadium, July 4, 1978. I bought it in the parking lot for $10. After the concert, when I walked in my house wearing it my Mother said: How much money did you spend on that?

HA! That's got to be it! Thank you for confirming where on earth he found that jacket now I know! Jimbob could carry it off he looked like a rockstar LOL I wish I had a picture of that. RIP James Goff of Elba NY. bestie and married my college roommate 

m

• Like (+1) 1

29 minutes ago, Bills4everNY said:

I was at that one too! The two Stone’s shows I saw when I was young were a LOT better than the one I saw when I was older, and they were ancient. Not shocking, I know. 

• Like (+1) 2

On 11/17/2021 at 5:46 AM, Greg S said:

Grateful Dead 1989...Sullivan Stadium the Pats old home.

OP asked for your first Live concert not Dead!  sorry can't resist

13 hours ago, Vark said:

Yes, Dec 8th, 1974 Freedom Hall, Louisville, KY

Nice, my first show was Yes at Memorial Aud in 1991.  I remember they played in-the-round with all 8 members present, and risers were used to swap in and out the band members to accommodate the next song

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

34 minutes ago, Augie said:

I was at that one too! The two Stone’s shows I saw when I was young were a LOT better than the one I saw when I was older, and they were ancient. Not shocking, I know. 

I've seen the Stones 10 times over the decades and the 78 show was my favorite. I liked them better when it was just the 5 Stones with the Ian Mclagan and Ian Stewart. The 81 tour was great too. Later tours they had backup singers and Mick did choreographed dance moves. I liked it better when Mick would just run all over the stage and jump around like crazy. 

• Shocked 1

22 minutes ago, Bills4everNY said:

I've seen the Stones 10 times over the decades and the 78 show was my favorite. I liked them better when it was just the 5 Stones with the Ian Mclagan and Ian Stewart. The 81 tour was great too. Later tours they had backup singers and Mick did choreographed dance moves. I liked it better when Mick would just run all over the stage and jump around like crazy. 

I’ve got an old college buddy here in Atlanta who LOVES his live music. No idea how may times he’s seen the Stones in total but I know it’s at least three times just this year. Pittsburg, Tampa and Atlanta. He actually offered to buy tickets for me and the wife in Atlanta if we’d go with him. I saved him $800+ by passing. 

He recently retired and planned treats for himself every month for the first six months. I think he’s been to Key West twice when not attending Stones concerts. He sent me video from a Clapton concert here a few months ago and I sent back “you must have been right behind us! THAT was OUR view!” 

Edited by Augie
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Muppy said:

HA! That's got to be it! Thank you for confirming where on earth he found that jacket now I know! Jimbob could carry it off he looked like a rockstar LOL I wish I had a picture of that. RIP James Goff of Elba NY. bestie and married my college roommate 

m

Me and my friend felt like we were VIPs wearing those tuxedos at the show. I wore it later that year on Halloween. Some day I might look though all the boxes of stuff I have in my garage and see if it's in there. If I find it I'll post a picture of it.

• Thank you (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.