Uh oh….. Tyrann Mathieu: Chiefs might have one of the most toxic fan bases in all of sports

The 9 Isles

26 minutes ago, Dopey said:

Well, we were acting all high and mighty entering the game. "Bills Mafia invades Tennessee". I would bet Bills fans were pretty cocky in Tennessee before the game. If I'm a Titans fan that night, I give it to any "Bills Mafia"  after that game. 

I get it to a point, but it was at a level of relentless that was beyond normal. And I've seen similar things happen with other fanbases and they didn't act quite as extreme. Also, they were like that last year after getting a 16-day break due to flouting league safety measures. Also, it's hard to wholly respect a fanbase who are in a huge city and get outnumbered in their own stadium. 

If we want to pick at things, it's more to say the toxic element of each team's fanbase is toxic in a different way. 

16 minutes ago, chris heff said:

Society has always been toxic, people used to love public executions.

Honestly, my interaction with Chiefs fans have mostly been positive: knowledgable fans, respectful, grounded. What's happening above is probably symptomatic of some fans of almost all fanbases when a team is regularly dominant for over, say, 5 years--expectations become a bit ridiculous. 

3 hours ago, The 9 Isles said:

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2021/10/30/tyrann-mathieu-chiefs-might-have-one-of-the-most-toxic-fan-bases-in-all-of-sports/

“This might be one of the most toxic fan bases in all of sports,” Mathieu wrote on his verified Instagram account.

Mathieu was agreeing with Hitchens, who posted a comment defending himself after the Chiefs fan account listed Hitchens’ contract as one of the three worst moves from Chiefs General Manager Brett Veach.

“All we did was go to 3 AFC championship games and 2 Super Bowls and 1 SB win in my first 3 years here so far,” Hitchens wrote. “y’all fans will never be satisfied it’s sad!”

The KC fan base was largely loyal and supportive through years of bad or "meh" or "good enough to lose the big ones".   They never had a Buffalo-size drought but from the late 90s (end of Schottenheimer) to 2014 when Reid took over they had a long stretch of mediocre to bad seasons punctuated by 4 winning seasons.  So their fans do know what fan suffering is.

He's not wrong now - success brings out the manic fan - but It Is What It Is.  Take the good with the bad - enjoy having 70,000 screaming tomahawk chanting maniacs when you win, expect them to be Salty when you lose.

Josh Allen expressed it very well, something like "you win, you're on the top of the world; you lose, fire everyone and rebuild the thing.

Players need to keep a sense of perspective.

IMHO part of the Chiefs problem is that their players, as well as their fan base, grew entitled with the winning years. 

That's why it's so hard to sustain success in the NFL: when you're winning it's harder to keep that "growth mindset" that looks for things which need fixing, either as a fan or as a player

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, ProcessTruster said:

worse.   way worse.   Bills Mafia/This Board turns into Bills Firing Squad after every loss, without fail.   You can set your watch to it. 

I agree with that, but I think we at least keep it contained to our little world and don’t lash out at them publicly to try to embarrass them. I think the difference is we actually care about our players as people too whereas some fan bases, maybe the Chief’s, almost use the players as a means to an end—feeling better about themselves through their team’s performance. So they can go from #1 fan to #1 hater play to play. 

Again, I think the difference is we keep our bipolar behavior and reactions in house. I haven’t publicly seen a Bills fan deride or embarrass a player, but clearly other team’s fan bases do sometimes.

1 hour ago, SWATeam said:

It's so dumb for players to engage with these "fans."  It's a no win situation.

Plus, you can't broadly define a fanbase by a handful of vocal idiots online.

These aren't top IQ individuals.  They are on par with the fans they are crying over.  Dumb.

It’s obviously really easy for us to be able to say “they need to ignore it” and I would say for the most part athletes do a really good job of that. Yes they gets tons of praise, lots of money, all that stuff, but I’m also sure we all have no idea how much hate they receive on a daily basis. Death threats, threats to their family, people telling them how much they hate them, how terrible they are…after a while it has to add up. sounds like Matthieu just happened to reach his breaking point 

2 hours ago, chris heff said:

Society has always been toxic, people used to love public executions.

Absolutely.

"The town crier is toxic" said some Oberian villager during the Black Death, shrugging as he groomed his mud lawn.

Toxic this, toxic that, yo toxic, ad infinitum; I mean, can we pull the reins just a bit?

And btw, I don't use the twitters, instas, tiks and toks, because they're just so damn, well, toxic.

Edited by Dukestreetking
  • Like (+1) 1

I tend to think all fanbases are essentially the same. There are good & bad in the mix in any football city.

But, that said, I have to say I was genuinely taken aback the 1st time I went to the Chiefs board. It was AFTER they beat us in the AFCCG, and man, did "sore winner" ever apply to just about every post.  And really vile stuff, too - the opposite of this board.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.