Bills sign Taron Johnson to 3 year extension

YoloinOhio

2 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

2 Pro Bowls in 3 seasons.

Team leader in Tackles since being here.

Captain of the number 1 defense in the NFL.

Teams game plan against him.

Reigning AFC Defensive Player of the Week.  

4 years in the league, starter all 4 years. 

5th year option picked up.

He isn't the best MLB in football, but you would be hard pressed to find anyone who analyzes players for a living that would not list Edmunds in the top 10 of MLB's in the NFL right now.  

And considering MORE than 50% of all draft picks selected where he was chosen BUST in the NFL, I would say that is a hit by any measure.  So I stand by my original critique of your scale of what a "hit" or a "miss" is as severely flawed.  

I appreciate your insightful and respectful post.

I do have a rebuttal for a lot of your points, but it's Saturday night and I'm not going to get into it haha.

Thanks for the post again buddy as you always bring insight.

Have a good night !

• Thank you (+1) 1

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's nice that they are trying to keep good players,  but as I've said before............I don't want to see this team spend/invest lopsidedly on defense and then just tell Josh Allen to be like Aaron Rodgers has for the past 15 years.

Every year GB drafts defense in round 1.   When they spend in free agency,  it's usually been on defense.    That's ultimately what pissed Rodgers off.

The Packers have asked their QB to shoulder the load with less talent investment on the offensive side of the ball.......and as good as Josh Allen is.......this isn't 2015 anymore........there are more good QB's in the league than there were then so the VAST separation Rodgers had against other QB's may not be happening for Allen with guys like Mahomes, Herbert, Lamar, Burrow, Lawrence etc.. all in the AFC.   Pro Bowl Tyrod Taylor wouldn't be making a pro bowl in the 2020's. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

It's nice that they are trying to keep good players,  but as I've said before............I don't want to see this team spend/invest lopsidedly on defense and then just tell Josh Allen to be like Aaron Rodgers has for the past 15 years.

Every year GB drafts defense in round 1.   When they spend in free agency,  it's usually been on defense.    That's ultimately what pissed Rodgers off.

The Packers have asked their QB to shoulder the load with less talent investment on the offensive side of the ball.......and as good as Josh Allen is.......this isn't 2015 anymore........there are more good QB's in the league than there were then so the VAST separation Rodgers had against other QB's may not be happening for Allen with guys like Mahomes, Herbert, Lamar, Burrow, Lawrence etc.. all in the AFC.   Pro Bowl Tyrod Taylor wouldn't be making a pro bowl in the 2020's. 

I hear ya. I do think in this case though that you keep players who make impact plays that win big games. I'm not going to pick on the other players on D who got paid cause I like them, but to me, Taron was a priority.

• Agree 1

11 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Right now they don’t even have those decisions to make - they don’t have a single young player on offense besides Josh whom they’d need to worry about signing.  Sad but true.

• Agree 2

10 hours ago, JGMcD2 said:

Yeah… this is definitely on the high end for a NCB. Only Kenny Moore makes more. Taron slots in above Mike Hilton, Jonathan Jones and Bryce Callahan now. 

Not the end of the world considering we played like 91% of our defensive snaps in Nickel last year. It’s a valuable, starting position in our defense. 

Agree. Taron has gotten better every year and makes big plays. I don't mind paying for a young ascending player. As you point out, NCB is a huge part of our scheme. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BillsFan130 said:

Is that comment really necessary man?

It's my opinion and I wasn't being obnoxious about it at all. I may be wrong that's ok.

Anyways hope you have a good night.

“Opinion.” 

I was raised to keep my “opinions” to myself unless I had spent enough time vetting them that I wouldn’t come across like an idiot.

You were apparently raised differently. 

Anyway, go Bills. 

• Dislike 1

10 hours ago, NewEra said:

Slot corners don’t make that kind of money.  

I think 7.5M is a bit steep for a nickel Cb but considering our scheme, I figured we might over pay to keep him.  Not that he’s not worth the money…..I just didn’t think we’d pay him that much

I think he's like Milano in that when he is injured and misses time, it causes ripples through the whole defense. It take multiple players to replace their on-field duties and you also miss out on their big plays that they have a knack for.

14 minutes ago, eball said:

“Opinion.” 

I was raised to keep my “opinions” to myself unless I had spent enough time vetting them that I wouldn’t come across like an idiot.

You were apparently raised differently. 

Anyway, go Bills. 

I mean, I wasn't " venting"at all lol.

I was sharing an opinion about Edmunds on a bills message board in a respectful, calm manner.

But anyways , hope You feel better about yourself 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BillsFan130 said:

I appreciate your insightful and respectful post.

I do have a rebuttal for a lot of your points, but it's Saturday night and I'm not going to get into it haha.

Thanks for the post again buddy as you always bring insight.

Have a good night !

All good browski.  Enjoy Saturday night, I’m doing the same and let’s go Bills on Sunday.  F the Chiefs.

For the record, this game is big game and test for Edmunds and the rest of the D.  We have dominated weak competition, but now we all need to see them step up and hold their own against the Chiefs.  

And for the record, while I will defend whether Edmunds is hit or miss today in relation to his draft, I am not committed to him for a new big contract until I see him make an impact in big moments too.   That’s true for everyone on the team.  In the previous 2 Chiefs games our team as a whole wasn’t up to the task.  It’s time for them to mature in being the fire against a team standing in their way.  

And I’m not even demanding they must win, it’s a long season.  But if they don’t win, they better look the part and take it down to the wire and show we at least have the ability to beat them.  Last 2 games they played like they were no where close to beating them in all facets of the game and were dominated in the trenches.

Edited by Alphadawg7

2 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

It is a point on the defense and it does just give me pause on what they are planning with Edmunds. I still lean towards they will extend him but let's say they do and the let Hughes and Addison walk. That is still: Lotulelei, Milano, Edmunds, Johnson, Hyde, Poyer and White that you are "paying" on your defense. That is a lot. 

The cap is very malleable though and so long as the Pegulas are willing to pony up the cash up front the Bills can somewhat kick the can cap wise, especially with TV numbers soaring, crowds back in stadiums and the promise of a major cap bounce back in the next two years. 

I agree they need to invest in some more youth on offense though. Another playmaker on that side of the ball should be a priority next April, even if Dawson Knox continues his emergence at tight end.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

44 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

It is a point on the defense and it does just give me pause on what they are planning with Edmunds. I still lean towards they will extend him but let's say they do and the let Hughes and Addison walk. That is still: Lotulelei, Milano, Edmunds, Johnson, Hyde, Poyer and White that you are "paying" on your defense. That is a lot. 

The cap is very malleable though and so long as the Pegulas are willing to pony up the cash up front the Bills can somewhat kick the can cap wise, especially with TV numbers soaring, crowds back in stadiums and the promise of a major cap bounce back in the next two years. 

I agree they need to invest in some more youth on offense though. Another playmaker on that side of the ball should be a priority next April, even if Dawson Knox continues his emergence at tight end.

I feel like at some point the drafting is going to need to shift towards the offense

8 hours ago, Ethan in Portland said:

Awesome news! May be the most difficult position to play. He has earned it.

His INT return for a TD in the playoffs may be the second biggest positive play in Bills history after the Mike Stratton hit. 

Did anyone catch the Bills first quarter(ish)-season hype video? Johnson made 4-5 big plays that were significant enough to make the cut. 

Very nice! I always find it interesting that while the coaches, players and fans are settled into the week to week rhythm and routine of an NFL Season, the Front Office keeps going about their business of constructing a roster. It’s actually great to know they’re not just sitting their watching TV. 

9 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

All good browski.  Enjoy Saturday night, I’m doing the same and let’s go Bills on Sunday.  F the Chiefs.

For the record, this game is big game and test for Edmunds and the rest of the D.  We have dominated weak competition, but now we all need to see them step up and hold their own against the Chiefs.  

And for the record, while I will defend whether Edmunds is hit or miss today in relation to his draft, I am not committed to him for a new big contract until I see him make an impact in big moments too.   That’s true for everyone on the team.  In the previous 2 Chiefs games our team as a whole wasn’t up to the task.  It’s time for them to mature in being the fire against a team standing in their way.  

And I’m not even demanding they must win, it’s a long season.  But if they don’t win, they better look the part and take it down to the wire and show we at least have the ability to beat them.  Last 2 games they played like they were no where close to beating them in all facets of the game and were dominated in the trenches.

All good points buddy.

It doesn't sound like we are that far off in terms of our judgement on him. Sounds like you have a slightly higher opinion on him than me.

I am by no means saying he sucks or anything like that.

I think there are times where he can absolutely dominate a football game, (like last week) and then have times where he looks completely lost out there. (Like against KC last year)

I think the Bills picking up his 5th year option kind of reflects that as well.

To me it kind of reflects that they "like" him, he's young, he's got great potential, he can dominate some football games, but he also hasn't done it enough consistently to warrant the big contract extension yet.

Would you agree with that assessment?

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.