Bills sign Taron Johnson to 3 year extension

YoloinOhio

12 hours ago, Coach Tuesday said:

Right now they don’t even have those decisions to make - they don’t have a single young player on offense besides Josh whom they’d need to worry about signing.  Sad but true.

We don’t have to worry about signing Beasley and Sanders, but they must be replaced, possibly after this season.  
Preferably replaced with players that are better or just as good.  

• Agree 1

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

9 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

I feel like at some point the drafting is going to need to shift towards the offense

They drafted Knox, Ford, Brown, two rbs, Davis and traded a first for Diggs, and even took a flier on a back up QB all in the last three years. Agree they need to draft center/guard in the future and maybe another TE. After that what else?

10 minutes ago, Ethan in Portland said:

They drafted Knox, Ford, Brown, two rbs, Davis and traded a first for Diggs, and even took a flier on a back up QB all in the last three years. Agree they need to draft center/guard in the future and maybe another TE. After that what else?

Receiver.

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, Ethan in Portland said:

They've used some draft picks on offense but you listed a bust second rounder and 3 third rounders and a 4th.    

Since 2018 they've drafted a MLB and a DT in round 1.........not big dollar positions..........but no offensive skill players.

It's not yet gotten absurd like what has gone on in Green Bay..........but it's concerning because it's the easy way to remain "competitive" drafting defenders when you have a dynamic QB who can elevate the performance of those around him.   But it's also proven to be a good way to come up short over and over and diminish the career of a great QB.

It is fair to say  that the tops of the Bills drafts have been defense-centric.   Even if you count Diggs as a #1 that's 4 of 6 #1's on defense.

And the only player in their back 7 on defense that isn't on a multi-year deal averaging $8M per year now is Edmunds and his cap figure for next year is around $12M.

They also had the highest amount of cap dedicated to the DL in the league last year.

They have thrown a disproportionate amount of their assets at the defensive side of the ball..........which is a questionable decision in a league where defensive success has proven difficult to sustain from year to year and the rules are set up to promote offense.   If you go back and look at the 13 defensive #1's that GB has taken in the past 16 years it doesn't scream "success".

3 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

They've used some draft picks on offense but you listed a bust second rounder and 3 third rounders and a 4th.    

Since 2018 they've drafted a MLB and a DT in round 1.........not big dollar positions..........but no offensive skill players.

It's not yet gotten absurd like what has gone on in Green Bay..........but it's concerning because it's the easy way to remain "competitive" drafting defenders when you have a dynamic QB who can elevate the performance of those around him.   But it's also proven to be a good way to come up short over and over and diminish the career of a great QB.

It is fair to say  that the tops of the Bills drafts have been defense-centric.   Even if you count Diggs as a #1 that's 4 of 6 #1's on defense.

And the only player in their back 7 on defense that isn't on a multi-year deal averaging $8M per year now is Edmunds and his cap figure for next year is around $12M.

They also had the highest amount of cap dedicated to the DL in the league last year.

They have thrown a disproportionate amount of their assets at the defensive side of the ball..........which is a questionable decision in a league where defensive success has proven difficult to sustain from year to year and the rules are set up to promote offense.   If you go back and look at the 13 defensive #1's that GB has taken in the past 16 years it doesn't scream "success".

Well except you are forgetting the fact they already have a LT and a Center on big contracts. Using a #1 for a WR counts. And just because Ford is a bust doesn't mean they didn't try. 

Hey I would have drafted Dobbins over Epenesa when they had the chance. 

Next draft they will be picking hopefully last in the first round.  They should trade down and get an extra pick. They need to get an interior linemen and another CB with some size. The young backup safeties have looked good enough and Hyde/Poyer have not slowed down. The only other two positions they need to address are TE# 2 and 1tech NT.

3 hours ago, Ethan in Portland said:

Talking about using our hire pics which tend to go towards defensive players

I approve of this message.

Taron is one of my favorites
 you see his number in on so many plays. Has improved his game each season.
We talk about Poyer and Hyde as a great tandem But this kid belongs in the conversation when talking about how effective this Defense has been already this year.
 Love it !

Go Bills

5 hours ago, Ethan in Portland said:

Well except you are forgetting the fact they already have a LT and a Center on big contracts. Using a #1 for a WR counts. And just because Ford is a bust doesn't mean they didn't try. 

Hey I would have drafted Dobbins over Epenesa when they had the chance. 

Next draft they will be picking hopefully last in the first round.  They should trade down and get an extra pick. They need to get an interior linemen and another CB with some size. The young backup safeties have looked good enough and Hyde/Poyer have not slowed down. The only other two positions they need to address are TE# 2 and 1tech NT.

When I am talking about addressing the offense early.........I mean difference makers.........not runnin' bax. :lol:

I don't disagree with you about the trade down idea......it depends on who is there where they pick but they do need to re-stock positions to help them deal with having so many highly paid players on the roster.

Foremost among them.........they need some young WR talent.

It's very possible only Diggs and Gabe Davis return to the Bills WR unit next season.

And though Davis had a very good rookie season as the 3rd-4th option......... he's not a premium athlete at the position.........he will likely need matchups against lesser coverage players.  

Their WR corps does not have a 1B option..........it's Diggs and some 2's and 3's........and with the influx of WR talent into the league the past 2 seasons,  that's not the case everywhere around the league.......there are a number of teams who go 2-3 deep at WR who can be relied on to physically challenge an opponents #1 CB.    

• Like (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

When I am talking about addressing the offense early.........I mean difference makers.........not runnin' bax. :lol:

I don't disagree with you about the trade down idea......it depends on who is there where they pick but they do need to re-stock positions to help them deal with having so many highly paid players on the roster.

It's very possible only Diggs and Gabe Davis return to the Bills WR unit next season.

And though Davis had a very good rookie season as the 3rd-4th option......... he's not a premium athlete at the position.........he will likely need matchups against lesser coverage players.  

Their WR corps does not have a 1B option..........it's Diggs and some 2's and 3's........and with the influx of WR talent into the league the past 2 seasons,  that's not the case everywhere around the league.......there are a number of teams who go 2-3 deep at WR who can be relied on to physically challenge an opponents #1 CB.    

I got nothing against them picking WR's early but they have found good productive players in Free Agency on middling money and the Bills are going to prove to be attractive for veteran talent doing some ring chasing...

But hey.. if you can get a Rondale Moore in the second as well then all good..

28 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Agree and very well said. 

7 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

Would like to see extensions for both of them

Lets revisit this at the end of a long Season John
But for now ? I remains very positive about all our Receivers even Cole   lol

C'mon Gabe Davis. do what you do tonight.

• Like (+1) 1

18 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

It is a point on the defense and it does just give me pause on what they are planning with Edmunds. I still lean towards they will extend him but let's say they do and the let Hughes and Addison walk. That is still: Lotulelei, Milano, Edmunds, Johnson, Hyde, Poyer and White that you are "paying" on your defense. That is a lot. 

The cap is very malleable though and so long as the Pegulas are willing to pony up the cash up front the Bills can somewhat kick the can cap wise, especially with TV numbers soaring, crowds back in stadiums and the promise of a major cap bounce back in the next two years. 

I agree they need to invest in some more youth on offense though. Another playmaker on that side of the ball should be a priority next April, even if Dawson Knox continues his emergence at tight end.

Would love a speed WR and an IOL on Day 1/2! 

• Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.