Buffalo Sabres and NHL 2021-2022

YoloinOhio

On 11/4/2021 at 7:24 PM, K-9 said:

I’ll be there. I haven’t decided if I’ll boo or not, but I still take that post season presser as a big “F You, Buffalo.” Then again, he provided some great thrills. Then again, he wasn’t part of the solution and demanded a trade. Then again, maybe it’s better to let bygones be bygones and move on. 

Please, be the smaller man here and boo your ass off when that jerky jerk returns to Buffalo.

• Haha (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, ChevyVanMiller said:

Tokarski stole 2 points tonight. Nice road victory.

You know it man... this one was sweet. Tokarski is an animal out there, maybe we finally have some good goaltending to look forward to for years.

• Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, T&C said:

Ted Goldberg
@TedGoldbergTV

Sabres this year: 16 points through 15 games
Sabres last year: 16 points through 33 games
9:41 PM · Nov 16, 2021·Twitter for iPad

That’s an 87 point pace for the season. Nice improvement, but still about 8 points short of a playoff spot. Then again, nobody in their right mind entertained playoff hopes before the season began, anyway. 

• Like (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, K-9 said:

That’s an 87 point pace for the season. Nice improvement, but still about 8 points short of a playoff spot. Then again, nobody in their right mind entertained playoff hopes before the season began, anyway. 

Just need to tread water for now.  Once we get healthy, we might be able to think about making a run.  Sounds like Tuch could make his debut as early as January.  

• Like (+1) 4

13 hours ago, PetermansRedemption said:

Why is Dell playing, he is pure garbage. I’d rather see what Ukka has than suffer through goaltending of Dell. 

Back to back games. They play again tonight and Anderson is still hurt.

I haven’t got to watch Rochester play much this year but from what I’ve heard/read, and looking at his stats, it sounds/looks like UPL has been pretty up and down this year.

https://theahl.com/stats/player/7644

I know he started out the year kinda rough. Then I know he had a good stretch because he was named AHL player of the week.

Looking at his most recent game stats it looks like he may be struggling again the last few games.

I’m anxious to see UPL too but I don’t know that his play has really warranted a call up. I think they probably want him to at least establish himself as a good AHL starter before being put in the NHL.

• Like (+1) 1

It's no wonder only about 8K fans at home games . Minimum wage goaltenders and a retired salary to get to minimum salary cap.

I do like Granato and young players if they don't get discouraged during a slow rebuild and want to be traded.

1 hour ago, ALF said:

It's no wonder only about 8K fans at home games . Minimum wage goaltenders and a retired salary to get to minimum salary cap.

I do like Granato and young players if they don't get discouraged during a slow rebuild and want to be traded.

I would argue the organization is actually back to trying to lose this year.

There is no real value in winning (in a missed playoff season) and getting worse draft picks.

We are still actually in the EARLY stages of a rebuild.

After this busy week, we should be solidly out of a playoff position and likely won't be back in one again for the rest of the year. 

Out of the picture in November is always tough to take.

This team has 2 fundamental problems that won't be fixed this year.  First, mediocre goaltending.  It's actually been surprisingly better than expected, but over the course of 82 games, it will regress to the mean and be pretty bad.

Second, this team is going to struggle to score goals night in and night out, despite putting up 4 last night, and a bunch the night before!  Again, over the long haul, scoring won't be there.

You combine both and get a lousy goal differential and that equals losses.

We won't be the worst team in the league this year, but we'll be like bottom 5-8 I'd say.

The absolute EARLIEST I see this team as maybe being able to do something substantive is year after next.

And that assumes a bunch of question marks turn into hits and not misses.

Still waiting and hoping for Pegula to sell the team, but I don't see that coming.

Edited by Nextmanup
  • Like (+1) 2

4 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

There is no real value in winning (in a missed playoff season) and getting worse draft picks.

After this busy week, we should be solidly out of a playoff position and likely won't be back in one again for the rest of the year. 

This team has 2 fundamental problems that won't be fixed this year.  First, mediocre goaltending.  It's actually been surprisingly better than expected, but over the course of 82 games, it will regress to the mean and be pretty bad.

Second, this team is going to struggle to score goals night in and night out, despite putting up 4 last night, and a bunch the night before!  Again, over the long haul, scoring won't be there.

We won't be the worst team in the league this year, but we'll be like bottom 5-8 I'd say.

The absolute EARLIEST I see this team as maybe being able to do something substantive is year after next.

Still waiting and hoping for Pegula to sell the team, but I don't see that coming.

I concur with just about everything you wrote.  Sadly.  It’s a shame that RJ will never do a play by play of the Sabres winning a Stanley Cup since this is supposedly his last go around.

8 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

I have heard that Kim desperately wants to be done with the Sabres but Terry is holding out.

On 11/23/2021 at 11:42 PM, Jauronimo said:

I have heard that Kim desperately wants to be done with the Sabres but Terry is holding out.

For real?  That's interesting if there's any truth to it. 

Unfortunately, Terry fancies himself a "hockey guy" first and foremost.

I still think with more Bills success and more Sabres failure, he could be persuaded to downsize and focus solely on the Bills--which is the real jewel in his sports ownership crown any way.

12 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

I still think with more Bills success and more Sabres failure, he could be persuaded to downsize and focus solely on the Bills--which is the real jewel in his sports ownership crown any way.

I hope he doesn't sell them. I personally don't want to go through all the possible relocation crap again. Til Pegula came around there was always whispers about it. From what I hear from many Bills fans they pretty much want the team gone. I can't count how many times I have heard Bills fans go on about hating to hear hockey talk on the radio. 

Enough about that. Anybody watch last night's game? Cause they played extremely well. Thompson is becoming a star and has been fun to watch. This team could be in the mix if they can get good goaltending every night. It's their biggest need. 

• Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, Jrb1979 said:

I hope he doesn't sell them. I personally don't want to go through all the possible relocation crap again. Til Pegula came around there was always whispers about it. From what I hear from many Bills fans they pretty much want the team gone. I can't count how many times I have heard Bills fans go on about hating to hear hockey talk on the radio. 

Enough about that. Anybody watch last night's game? Cause they played extremely well. Thompson is becoming a star and has been fun to watch. This team could be in the mix if they can get good goaltending every night. It's their biggest need. 

The future looks bright. Tage is blossoming right before our eyes and Jack Quinn is tearing up the AHL, while Owen Power is dominating at Michigan.  Hang tight Sabres fans, the dark days are in the rear view mirror.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

18 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

Yup.  All the Sabres fans "protesting" by staying away will be pissed if/when Terry sells the team and they move.  But hey, life is full of choices and not all are good ones.

1 hour ago, ChevyVanMiller said:

The future looks bright. Tage is blossoming right before our eyes and Jack Quinn is tearing up the AHL, while Owen Power is dominating at Michigan.  Hang tight Sabres fans, the dark days are in the rear view mirror.

Those guys look good (was reading that Quinn has something like 57 NHL equivalent points in the AHL, which is incredible), and heard good things about Josh Bloom as well.  But I'm holding out hope that they committed grand larceny with G Devon Levi.

• Like (+1) 1

Caught the Amerks game last night in Rochester, it was pretty wild.  Quinn, Krebs, and Peterka all had multi point games as the Amerks scored 7 goals.  Quinn actually is leading the AHL in scoring at the moment.  The prospects are cleaning up in Rochester, future isn't looking so bad.

Also, there was this gem:

Amerks winning 6-3, Jankowski scores making it 7-3.  He celebrates in the goalie's crease and goalie hits him 😂

• Like (+1) 3
  • Haha (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, T&C said:

This one isn't as close as it looks... Sabres are playing lazy, lets hope they get a spark up their ass in the 3rd.

22 minutes ago, T&C said:

Holy *****... they gave up the OT goal fast, like a cheap *****.

Back-to-back games with the 2nd on the road.  Amazed they even got a point (and that Tokarski played both, unless Dell is injured).

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

14 hours ago, KeLLy1278 said:

I dunno how the Sabres can start Dell in good faith after the efforts he has put on display lately.

You are assuming we want to win all games.

I would argue we are more or less trying to lose this year.

We are still in the EARLY stages of a rebuild and have a mountain of draft picks coming up.

1 hour ago, Nextmanup said:

We are still in the EARLY stages of a rebuild and have a mountain of draft picks coming up.

I get it, I get it.  You’re right.  It just goes against every fiber.

4 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

I think they're trying to win.  Is there even a generational talent entering the NHL draft next year?

1 hour ago, Doc said:

I think they're trying to win.  Is there even a generational talent entering the NHL draft next year?

Yes, there is.   Shane Wright.    And this is considered an extraordinarily deep draft(1st round at least).......teams have been hording picks for the last few seasons.

Edited by BADOLBILZ
  • Like (+1) 1

17 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Ugh, a stinker tonight.

Team had no interest in playing hockey last night, but for only the second time this season (by my count; I've seen every minute of every game).

We used to mail it in like this every other game, so there is some improvement here.

We are 3-10-2 over our last 15 games now, LOL.  

After the nice start, reality is setting in and we are quickly regressing to the mean.