Buffalo Sabres and NHL 2021-2022

YoloinOhio

2 hours ago, The Jokeman said:

I expect him to play another 2 years in college before he even signs here. Portillo could sign after this season and maybe will bring Powers with him. 

Just curious but why even 1 more year?  Sounds like he's dominating there already.

I actually thought that the Sabres would win tonight.  Up 3-0 in the first period.. the energy was good.  The defense was active on the back check.  Second period begins.. halfway in we are up 4-1.  Then we allow a few more goals, couple that with some giveaways in our own zone.. the game ends 7-4 Panthers with an empty netter.  Boy..  it really has to be difficult if you just know that night in and night out your goaltender just will not allow you to win the game.  Why even play the body, go for a block.  They came out strong at least, bless them for that.  

• Agree 1

6 hours ago, KeLLy1278 said:

I actually thought that the Sabres would win tonight.  Up 3-0 in the first period.. the energy was good.  The defense was active on the back check.  Second period begins.. halfway in we are up 4-1.  Then we allow a few more goals, couple that with some giveaways in our own zone.. the game ends 7-4 Panthers with an empty netter.  Boy..  it really has to be difficult if you just know that night in and night out your goaltender just will not allow you to win the game.  Why even play the body, go for a block.  They came out strong at least, bless them for that.  

After the 4th goal they had zero shots on goal and were never in the Panthers side unless they were on a power play. I can blame the goalie but letting them dominate you for the rest of the game and never making it back to the other end isn't isn't goalies fault.

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, TBBills said:

After the 4th goal they had zero shots on goal and were never in the Panthers side unless they were on a power play. I can blame the goalie but letting them dominate you for the rest of the game and never making it back to the other end isn't isn't goalies fault.

Correct. The issue was the Panthers waking up and stuffing the Sabres into a locker. We landed a few punches but got out azzez handed to us in the end. 

The funny thing about the Sabres this year is they are playing mostly good hockey. But they collapse for about ten minutes and give up 3-4 quick goals in that span.

15 hours ago, \GoBillsInDallas/ said:

What do the Partners average? The building looked half empty last night.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

56 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Correct. The issue was the Panthers waking up and stuffing the Sabres into a locker. We landed a few punches but got out azzez handed to us in the end. 

The funny thing about the Sabres this year is they are playing mostly good hockey. But they collapse for about ten minutes and give up 3-4 quick goals in that span.

What do the Partners average? The building looked half empty last night.

agreed.

They also have a tendency at times to stop attacking when they get the lead. They’ll kind of stop pushing on offense, just continually chip pucks into the neutral zone and let the other team keep attacking them. It drives me nuts. They need to learn how to finish out games.

5 minutes ago, BillsFan4 said:

agreed.

They also have a tendency at times to stop attacking when they get the lead. They’ll kind of stop pushing on offense, just continually chip pucks into the neutral zone and let the other team keep attacking them. It drives me nuts. They need to learn how to finish out games.

I think what your seeing is not the Sabres backing off but the opponent turning it up.

12 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

I think what your seeing is not the Sabres backing off but the opponent turning it up.

Just to be clear I wasn’t talking about last night. I only saw the 1st period so I can’t say really what the issue was. I was just talking about in general this season. It’s happened in a few games I’ve watched.

Yeah, I’m sure some of it is definitely the other team pushing (especially more talented teams) but at times you can also see the style of hockey change for Buffalo. They go from carrying the puck in and attacking, cycling the zone, etc. to just kind of chipping it in then sitting back on their heels to defend + protect a lead. 

Edited by BillsFan4

1 hour ago, PromoTheRobot said:

What do the Partners average? The building looked half empty last night

It was definitely only half full if that. The whole 300 top sections were empty. 

This year florida is ranking ranking 26th with 13,292 average per game.

Edited by TBBills

1 hour ago, TBBills said:

It was definitely only half full if that. The whole 300 top sections were empty. 

And they are a good team. Sabres fans have a legit excuse.

1 hour ago, Doc said:

Why didn't Granato pull Dell after the 4th goal like Florida did?

Because UPL had no morning skate as he had to fly in from Rochester. Dell would have had to been injured for UPL to go in.

• Thank you (+1) 1

I still can't believe that Girgensons hit the shaft of a stick on an open net that deflected off the cross bar and stayed out of the net.  And right after Olofsson rocketed one off the crossbar.  Not long after the broadcast team remarks on how they can't believe its still tied and its 5-4 Panthers seconds later.  

After watching last night's game and some deep thought, I've come around to a new realization.

It's almost as if goaltending is important...

Furthermore, Granato's style of play doesn't work.  

Picking up the long ago busted trash of the Blackhawks will give us a warm body to put in the crease, but it's not going to improve our goaltending situation.

I am more and more realizing we are deliberately tanking this year.

If this organization deliberately wanted to lose games this season in favor of a better draft pick, their approach to the goaltending so far would have been IDENTICAL to what it actually has been.

And if you want to build a loser, the easiest single variable you can manipulate, BY FAR, is goaltending.

3 hours ago, TBBills said:

I live about an hour north of that building and have been there for several games over the last 7 years or so.

The atmosphere in there is always the same.  It's at least half empty, always, regardless if the team is good or bad or middling.

It's just how it is.  A small percentage of people in the building are intelligent, enthusiastic, hockey fans, likely transplants from hockey parts of the country.  Others are just there for something to do, then there's the empty seats.

It is easily the worst atmosphere in the league, maybe other than Phoenix...and Buffalo these days.

The atmosphere at home Sabres games has been DEAD for a decade now, but at least we had bodies in seats.

Now it's much worse than that.

Thanks Mr. Pegula!  Let us know when you sell the team!  And don't let the door hit you in the ass on the way out of Dodge.

3 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

After watching last night's game and some deep thought, I've come around to a new realization.

It's almost as if goaltending is important...

Furthermore, Granato's style of play doesn't work.  

Picking up the long ago busted trash of the Blackhawks will give us a warm body to put in the crease, but it's not going to improve our goaltending situation.

I am more and more realizing we are deliberately tanking this year.

If this organization deliberately wanted to lose games this season in favor of a better draft pick, their approach to the goaltending so far would have been IDENTICAL to what it actually has been.

And if you want to build a loser, the easiest single variable you can manipulate, BY FAR, is goaltending.

I live about an hour north of that building and have been there for several games over the last 7 years or so.

The atmosphere in there is always the same.  It's at least half empty, always, regardless if the team is good or bad or middling.

It's just how it is.  A small percentage of people in the building are intelligent, enthusiastic, hockey fans, likely transplants from hockey parts of the country.  Others are just there for something to do, then there's the empty seats.

It is easily the worst atmosphere in the league, maybe other than Phoenix...and Buffalo these days.

The atmosphere at home Sabres games has been DEAD for a decade now, but at least we had bodies in seats.

Now it's much worse than that.

Thanks Mr. Pegula!  Let us know when you sell the team!  And don't let the door hit you in the ass on the way out of Dodge.

It's real easy to focus on the end result but miss what led up to it. Take a listen to the Andre Peters podcast here:

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/episode-17-captains-chair-with-brian-gionta/id1590573108?i=1000543751885

Jump ahead top the 22:30 mark and listen to former Sabre Brian Gionta's take on what's going on. While goaltending hasn't been good, the play in front of the net has been terrible. Not everything is the goalies fault.

3 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

It's real easy to focus on the end result but miss what led up to it. Take a listen to the Andre Peters podcast here:

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/episode-17-captains-chair-with-brian-gionta/id1590573108?i=1000543751885

Jump ahead top the 22:30 mark and listen to former Sabre Brian Gionta's take on what's going on. While goaltending hasn't been good, the play in front of the net has been terrible. Not everything is the goalies fault.

No question.  However Dell is good for at least two softies a game.  Tokarski is good for at least one.  So there you go.  The defense can’t feed off of good goaltending and the goaltender isn’t benefiting from good defensive play.  Times like this call for paying close attention to how my #2 team is doing.. however my second fave team is the Flyers. 🙄

12 hours ago, TBBills said:

Just downgrade him to retired at this point.

He was set to retire this past offseason until the Sabres called and offered him a job. I was a bit surprised he wanted to sign here but he obviously must have wanted to keep playing.

I’m actually hoping he doesn’t retire and is able to come back ASAP. He wasn’t playing bad. Definitely better than his replacements have, that’s for sure. I also read/heard he was a good veteran leader in the locker room here and brought a calming presence on the ice.

One positive if he retired is that it may force the Sabres to address the position in a more meaningful way. I don’t think Subban/Dell/Tokarski are going to cut it (unless the goal is to draft high...). I think they should address the goaltending position regardless of Anderson’s status but that seems less likely after just adding Subban.

Edited by BillsFan4

16 minutes ago, BillsFan4 said:

He was set to retire this past offseason until the Sabres called and offered him a job. I was a bit surprised he wanted to sign here but he obviously must have wanted to keep playing.

I’m actually hoping he doesn’t retire and is able to come back ASAP. He wasn’t playing bad. Definitely better than his replacements have, that’s for sure. I also read/heard he was a good veteran leader in the locker room here and brought a calming presence on the ice.

One positive if he retired is that it may force the Sabres to address the position in a more meaningful way. I don’t think Subban/Dell/Tokarski are going to cut it (unless the goal is to draft high...). I think they should address the goaltending position regardless of Anderson’s status but that seems less likely after just adding Subban.

I would rather a young body not like the Sabres are fighting for anything other than  a #1 pick.

They acquired Subban off waivers.. he plays his first game tonight and allows six.  He then gets taken out midway through the third because of an “injury”.  A psychological injury is more like it.  What a debut.  

Moreover.. Dahlin needs to be moved over to play the wing.  Enough of the tender love and care.  He is making mistake after mistake at the blue line and he also doesn’t hustle back after giveaways.  This was on display YET AGAIN TONIGHT.  Move him over until further notice and go from there. 

Edited by KeLLy1278
  • Like (+1) 1

12 hours ago, KeLLy1278 said:

They acquired Subban off waivers.. he plays his first game tonight and allows six.  He then gets taken out midway through the third because of an “injury”.  A psychological injury is more like it.  What a debut.  

Moreover.. Dahlin needs to be moved over to play the wing.  Enough of the tender love and care.  He is making mistake after mistake at the blue line and he also doesn’t hustle back after giveaways.  This was on display YET AGAIN TONIGHT.  Move him over until further notice and go from there. 

That's not accurate; he didn't come off waivers.

We traded "Future considerations" for him, which means "nothing" in NHL circles.

My God he was horrific last nighty; he was the warm body in net they desperately needed, but nothing else.

Of course the team was a train wreck too.

As Paul Hamilton said in the post-game show, we are getting worse.

LMFAO

On 12/5/2021 at 8:33 AM, Nextmanup said:

That's not accurate; he didn't come off waivers.

We traded "Future considerations" for him, which means "nothing" in NHL circles.

My God he was horrific last nighty; he was the warm body in net they desperately needed, but nothing else.

Of course the team was a train wreck too.

As Paul Hamilton said in the post-game show, we are getting worse.

LMFAO

It’s extremely frustrating.  6 goals on 18 shots in the NHL.  Then I turn to the Flyers and they allow 5 goals on 15 shots last night.  Man… those are my two favorite teams in hockey.  Lucky me.

2 hours ago, Jauronimo said:

Ukka Pekka Lakkonennekakkkakaka has been called up from Rochester.  Hes got a few days to outdo Subban.  

Well he can’t do worse so..  I feel like I have been repeating that a few times as of late.  Can it get any worse?  What’s next?  Giving up a ten spot on a regular basis?

Edited by KeLLy1278