Buffalo Sabres and NHL 2021-2022

YoloinOhio

57 minutes ago, BillsFan4 said:

I’m underwhelmed. I can’t believe it took this long to get that return. Why some team didn’t offer a deal like this (or better) long ago is beyond me. I guess teams really were scared by Eichel’s injury. But I can guarantee that there will be some GM’s wishing they would have beat this offer once Eichel is back on the ice.

Tuch is a nice top 6 W if he can stay healthy (3rd year in a row he’s missed significant time). And he grew up a Sabres fan, so I’m sure that held value to Kevyn Adams (him wanting players that are “proud to wear the Jersey”).

Krebs was VGK top prospect but he’s been struggling in the NHL this season. I really like him though. Definitely a nice piece to add.

The 1st will be a late pick but this looks like it could be a deep draft (definitely deeper than last year).

I was really hoping for at least 1 more big piece but it is what it is.

Definitely less than what Eichel is worth, but clearly the injury hurt the return.

No doubt Eichel is worth way more than this.

I just pray Krebs turns into something good. If he doesn’t this trade will hurt for many years to come.

If Eichel was healthy they would have got more. When you look at his salary, the fact he is injured, and that he may not come back to playing as he was, this was the best they were going to get. I personally think it's a great deal. Krebs is highly rated and Tuch is good. Now with 3 1st rounders this year the can add a bunch of pieces next season. 

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, BillsFan4 said:

I’m underwhelmed. I can’t believe it took this long to get that return. Why some team didn’t offer a deal like this (or better) long ago is beyond me. I guess teams really were scared by Eichel’s injury. But I can guarantee that there will be some GM’s wishing they would have beat this offer once Eichel is back on the ice.

Tuch is a nice top 6 W if he can stay healthy (3rd year in a row he’s missed significant time). And he grew up a Sabres fan, so I’m sure that held value to Kevyn Adams (him wanting players that are “proud to wear the Jersey”).

Krebs was VGK top prospect but he’s been struggling in the NHL this season. I really like him though. Definitely a nice piece to add.

The 1st will be a late pick but this looks like it could be a deep draft (definitely deeper than last year).

I was really hoping for at least 1 more big piece but it is what it is.

Definitely less than what Eichel is worth, but clearly the injury hurt the return.

No doubt Eichel is worth way more than this.

I just pray Krebs turns into something good. If he doesn’t this trade will hurt for many years to come.

If I were a Vegas fan, I'd be extremely nervous.  By the time Eichel gets back on the ice, he'll have been off it for nearly two full seasons and will have all new parts in his neck -- and then Vegas can't move him at all if he doesn't live up to expectations.  The return might be underwhelming (I liked the Calgary rumor a lot more), but as long as Krebs doesn't become Hodgson II, the Sabres will have added to their roster at the same time as removing a major distraction. Once Tuch gets on the ice, he's exactly the type of player this team needs.  Looks like they'll have three 1st round picks in 2022.  Maybe they can make something out of that. 

Edited by snafu
  • Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, snafu said:

If I were a Vegas fan, I'd be extremely nervous.  By the time Eichel gets back on the ice, he'll have been off it for nearly two full seasons and will have all new parts in his neck -- and then Vegas can't move him at all if he doesn't live up to expectations.  The return might be underwhelming (I liked the Calgary rumor a lot more), but as long as Krebs doesn't become Hodgson II, the Sabres will have added to their roster at the same time as removing a major distraction. Once Tuch gets on the ice, he's exactly the type of player this team needs.  Looks like they'll have three 1st round picks in 2022.  Maybe they can make something out of that. 

Imagine if the surgery fails and Jack retires next year? Wow 

• Agree 1

5 minutes ago, Tiberius said:

Imagine if the surgery fails and Jack retires next year? Wow 

Imagine if hes hanging out with Evander Kane every night and a year from now hes voluntarily sitting out because earning a salary would be detrimental to his bankruptcy proceedings.   

• Haha (+1) 3

1 hour ago, Jauronimo said:

I thought it was that big cross check he took to the neck that did it but my memory was incorrect.  It was this innocuous looking play.  

https://www.audacy.com/wgr550/sports/sabres/jack-eichel-out-for-the-foreseeable-future-with-upper-body-injury

Yup, I still thought it was that mysterious rib injury that was keeping him out before I learned it was his neck that was the problem. 

🖕

longer interview:

he didn’t come off very well in this interview IMO. He had this interview set up before the trade happened and he makes it clear he was going to trash the Sabres. I’m sure the plan was to pressure them into making a trade. 

I don’t know how invested he ever was in this team. He makes it clear that he’s wanted out since before the 2020 season but I wonder if it goes back even farther than that.

I remember back before the 2019 season Eichel’s agent made a comment to the media that “Jack Eichel will report to training camp” and all I could think at the time was “why in the world did that even have to be said? Was it in question that he would report...?” 

and From what Andrew Peters said on shred & Reagan this morning, Eichel never wanted to be here and was always miserable (about 10 minutes in). He pretty much trashed Eichel.  Not sure I totally believe Peters but he was around the team/locker room.

https://omny.fm/shows/the-shredd-ragan-show-daily-podcast/s-r-interview-andrew-peters-thursday-11-4-21?fbclid=IwAR2miSFdQ8ObwDt0MoLZ09I9Dl0stjAZoJgbstL4hOpqSZDt1bsOuxXTiKc

1 hour ago, Jauronimo said:

For future considerations? Why do them a favor for free? I know Buffalo was dangerously close to the cap floor but still. We should have got a pick back or something. 

Edited by BillsFan4

55 minutes ago, BillsFan4 said:

For future considerations? Why do them a favor for free? I know Buffalo was dangerously close to the cap floor but still. We should have got a pick back or something. 

They are discussing this on the Sabres board. The move really helps the Sabres later in the season to make moves, perhaps some deadline trades. It's only one year. No biggie.

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Wait, what?! Do tell 

Oooh there are plenty of stories of his adventures on Elmwood and Allentown 

I have friends who are junior coaches in Canada, and they have friends in the league

It's absolutely no secret Jack likes the Coco.. and he's been spotted on the ski slopes downtown ... For years

Edited by Buffalo716
  • Shocked 1

1 minute ago, Buffalo716 said:

I have friends who are junior coaches in Canada, and they have friends in the league

It's absolutely no secret Jack likes the Coco.. and he's been spotted on the ski slopes downtown ... For years

Well he landed in the right place!  Hope he doesn't strain his neck putting his nose to the table.

• Haha (+1) 4

1 hour ago, K-9 said:

Nice. Has anyone seen a similar tweet from Eichel thanking Buffalo and it’s fans? The Sabres wasted no time in tweeting Eichel their best wishes. 

Being thoughtful, or choosing the right words?

Edited by davefan66
  • Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, davefan66 said:

Being thoughtful, or choosing the right words?

Nicely done by Eichel. Much appreciated. I think being thoughtful and choosing the right words go hand in hand.

Edited by K-9
  • Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, K-9 said:

Nicely done by Eichel. Much appreciated. I think being thoughtful and choosing the right words go hand in hand.

I don’t disagree.  I felt he was trying to say the right thing and choosing his words.  

I think it’s pretty clear how he feels about the organization and no reason to say anything regarding the situation he was in or the poor teams he played for.  Easiest and best thing to do is to talk about the fans and them deserving a good team like he did.

Edited by davefan66
  • Like (+1) 1

29 minutes ago, T&C said:

Just a thought but, what if Jack doesn't actually need this operation? Private doctor visits are... private. What the team is told is another thing.

I'm sure the Sabres team doctors looked at him and reported to the team their results. Note Vegas approved Jack gets the replacement surgery he wants. 

2 minutes ago, Jauronimo said:

Agreed.  Can't wait to see him booed off the ice when he returns to Buffalo.

I’ll be there. I haven’t decided if I’ll boo or not, but I still take that post season presser as a big “F You, Buffalo.” Then again, he provided some great thrills. Then again, he wasn’t part of the solution and demanded a trade. Then again, maybe it’s better to let bygones be bygones and move on. 

21 minutes ago, The Jokeman said:

I'm sure the Sabres team doctors looked at him and reported to the team their results. Note Vegas approved Jack gets the replacement surgery he wants. 

Nobody really knows any of this other than Jack and his doctors, outside doctors, and what was going to be said. It was just a thought.

3 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

Then Vegas must be a white out dream.

• Haha (+1) 1

4 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

They are discussing this on the Sabres board. The move really helps the Sabres later in the season to make moves, perhaps some deadline trades. It's only one year. No biggie.

I get why they did it. The Eichel trade made it complicated to make any type of roster move without falling below the cap floor. It definitely helps Buffalo stay cap compliant. I guess I just didn’t like that this was an Eugene Melnyk/Ottawa style move to help circumvent the salary cap floor. The theme of this season definitely seems to be cheap payroll.

I’d have rather seen them use the cap space as a trade asset or go after a player that can actually help them on the ice. But Kevyn Adams said he didn’t want to take a roster spot away from anyone currently on the team.

I don’t exactly agree with him but I understand why he did it.

Its really ho big deal though. It’s an inconsequential move. The Sabres still have tons of cap space and his contract expires at the end of the year anyway.

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, BillsFan4 said:

I get why they did it. The Eichel trade made it complicated to make any type of roster move without falling below the cap floor. It definitely helps Buffalo stay cap compliant. I guess I just didn’t like that this was an Eugene Melnyk/Ottawa style move to help circumvent the salary cap floor. The theme of this season definitely seems to be cheap payroll.

I’d have rather seen them use the cap space as a trade asset or go after a player that can actually help them on the ice. But Kevyn Adams said he didn’t want to take a roster spot away from anyone currently on the team.

I don’t exactly agree with him but I understand why he did it.

Its really ho big deal though. It’s an inconsequential move. The Sabres still have tons of cap space and his contract expires at the end of the year anyway.

The Sabres are rolling with who we have now, more or less. There will be a few call ups from Rochester. And Tuch will play once his shoulder heals. They are not gunning for the playoffs. They are building a foundation. Taking shortcuts is how we got derailed in the first place.

Edited by PromoTheRobot
  • Like (+1) 2

I am becoming more optimistic that Adams and Granato are going to have the same impact Beane and McD have had.  Establish a culture and mindset, then get players who buy in and get rid of guys who don’t.  And Eichel was never going to buy in.

I like what I’m seeing this year.  You’ll have nights like last night, sure, but I think everyone would agree the team has played much better than we thought thus far.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, oldmanfan said:

I am becoming more optimistic that Adams and Granato are going to have the same impact Beane and McD have had.  Establish a culture and mindset, then get players who buy in and get rid of guys who don’t.  And Eichel was never going to buy in.

I like what I’m seeing this year.  You’ll have nights like last night, sure, but I think everyone would agree the team has played much better than we thought thus far.

Agreed. I think the injuries have caught up to them right now. Last night showed how much they miss Olofsson, Jokiharu and Middlestadt. 

10 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

The Sabres are rolling with who we have now, more or less. There will be a few call ups from Rochester. And Tuch will play once his shoulder heals. They are not gunning for the playoffs. They are building a foundation. Taking shortcuts is how we got derailed in the first place.

I gotta try to remember this as I watch this group of placeholders. I appreciate the heart and hustle but the lack of skill is hard to watch repeatedly.