Does anybody go to the stadium just to tailgate?

r00tabaga

I remember about 15 years ago it was very popular and I don't know if you can even do it now with all the restrictions.

Obviously my question is asking about not going in for the game, watching/listening and of course drinking from the outside

Edited by r00tabaga

6 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

I can see some folks doing that for sure.  I wouldn't however.

I don't know how that would be policed, as long as you get there in time to secure your car's spot in whatever lot you choose to park in.

Back in the day, when people could get the tv RF signal, it was fun to hear the roar of the crowd moments before the telecast. Now it is much more difficult to view obviously.

You can probably do it at a private lot but I'm not sure they would let you in the stadium lots during the game.  When I bought stadium parking for opening day it said parking was only for gameday ticket holders.  They never checked as they scanned my parking pass but if they saw people tailgaiting in the 2nd quarter they might have security ask to see your ticket & either boot you if you don't have a ticket or tell you to go into the stadium.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

I absolutely would but I live in Rochester.  I have a portable sat dish and thought more than once about fixing up a rig to watch the games there.  But it's so nice to be in my comphy chair, in my nice warm dry house, watching in HD and surround sound, enjoying as much of my reasonably priced beers and food as I like and not having to drive, and no commercials so it's done in 90 minutes or so (recording)  That snaps me back to reality ;) 

Edited by CodeMonkey

21 minutes ago, CodeMonkey said:

I absolutely would but I live in Rochester.  I have a portable sat dish and thought more than once about fixing up a rig to watch the games there.  But it's so nice to be in my comphy chair, in my nice warm dry house, watching in HD and surround sound, enjoying as much of my reasonably priced beers and food as I like and not having to drive, and no commercials so it's done in 90 minutes or so (recording)  That snaps me back to reality ;) 

I also live in Rochacha and me & my girl want to go tailgate with the fans this weekend but don't want to go in to the stadium.

I'm wondering if I can just pay to get in like the old days or if I need a P ticket like some have suggested

I haven't had season tickets in a couple years & miss the atmosphere before gms ...

Edited by r00tabaga

Did this in 2018 at the private lot behind the field house with a bunch of friends. It was honestly a great, great time watching the game on a 42" LCD with non-stop food and beer. Expectations were so low that year and we said let's try something new and it worked out outstanding. 

Edited by Real McNasty
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, CodeMonkey said:

Don't need a dish.  Excellent HD reception off an antenna in Orchard Park.   We always have the local 4pm game on after the Bills game and sometimes some people in our group will just come to tailgate and then watch the Bills game on TV.    Less so now that they are winning.........now everyone wants to go inside.

Some of the private lots have the game on big screen in their garages too.   I've caught the end of some bad games outside on those TV's during the drought.   As some have mentioned it's an interesting experience hearing the crowd reactions from the stadium prior to seeing the play on tv because of the delay.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/20/2021 at 6:36 PM, BADOLBILZ said:

Don't need a dish.  Excellent HD reception off an antenna in Orchard Park.   We always have the local 4pm game on after the Bills game and sometimes some people in our group will just come to tailgate and then watch the Bills game on TV.    Less so now that they are winning.........now everyone wants to go inside.

Some of the private lots have the game on big screen in their garages too.   I've caught the end of some bad games outside on those TV's during the drought.   As some have mentioned it's an interesting experience hearing the crowd reactions from the stadium prior to seeing the play on tv because of the delay.

Yeah a OTA antenna would certainly be easier, and I agree that the picture is great that way, better than my cable, and the audio is DD 5.1.  You pick the game with the NFL package or redzone with a dish though :)  First world decisions huh :)

On 9/20/2021 at 4:34 PM, mattynh said:

Does getting so drunk you cant walk in count?

Yes ... yes it does :)

• Like (+1) 1

On 9/20/2021 at 4:13 PM, r00tabaga said:

I also live in Rochacha and me & my girl want to go tailgate with the fans this weekend but don't want to go in to the stadium.

I'm wondering if I can just pay to get in like the old days or if I need a P ticket like some have suggested

I haven't had season tickets in a couple years & miss the atmosphere before gms ...

I imagine private lots wouldn't care.

On 9/20/2021 at 5:58 PM, Bills fan since 87 said:

The camper we parked to in the mud lot for the home opener was people who do just that.  They come in from Olean for evey game and watch on TV.  i couldn't imagine doing that though.. by the time its 11:30 im ready to sprint into that stadium with anticipation

There are many who feel the same as you do. My wife is one.  She loves the "event" and being inside the stadium whereas I prefer comfort and a better view of the game.  There were games with not great weather she was at that when she eventually made it home she commented how I was the smarter of us, as I served her the leftover chili, wings, pizza etc while she warmed up and dried off :)    I do miss the atmosphere and people of the pinto tailgate though.  

Edit: Today was another one :)

Edited by CodeMonkey
  • Like (+1) 2

On 9/20/2021 at 1:17 PM, r00tabaga said:

Back in the day, when people could get the tv RF signal, it was fun to hear the roar of the crowd moments before the telecast. Now it is much more difficult to view obviously.

Why?

The game is available EVERY WEEK for free, OTA(over the air) at the stadium's location.

Why is it "much more difficult to view OBVIOUSLY"

You can view it at the stadium, in HD, for free, legally, every week, pretty easily....

That is how I watch the game at home, every week.

The picture is as good, usually better, than anything you pay for.

• Like (+1) 1

On 9/20/2021 at 1:17 PM, r00tabaga said:

Curious why it's more difficult to view now. All you need is a tv and antenna or even easier a cell phone and Yahoo sports app(free).  We've watched the 4pm games in the parking lot a few times. 

• Like (+1) 1

I have buddies who used to do this every home game.  Group of maybe 25-30 of my high school friends and only about half had tickets. I remember my wife getting really tipsy and not wanting to leave the party.  I basically carried her into the stadium near the end of the second quarter and she slept the entire second half in her seat.   Tailgating for 3-4 hours with friends was better than being in the stadium for most of the drought years.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

21 minutes ago, stosh64 said:

Why?

The game is available EVERY WEEK for free, OTA(over the air) at the stadium's location.

You can view it at the stadium, in HD, for free, legally, every week, pretty easily....

Over the Air is higher def than what cable can do since cable is limited by bandwidth. :thumbsup:

Edited by DrDawkinstein

15 minutes ago, stosh64 said:

Why?

At times, over the air DTV signals can be finicky. You either have a signal or you don’t.  There’s no “fuzzy but viewable” signals like there was with analog TV. Perhaps that is what the post is regarding. 

On 9/20/2021 at 1:04 PM, r00tabaga said:

I remember about 15 years ago it was very popular and I don't know if you can even do it now with all the restrictions.

Obviously my question is asking about not going in for the game, watching/listening and of course drinking from the outside

Yes, of course people still do. We had a few friends show up just for the tailgate when a bunch of us came back to town for the Washington game.

Some left the tailgate at noon to get home for the game. Some stuck around, I think at O'Neills. I'm sure there were folks who stayed in the lot and watched on a TV in the camper/van.

There are no rules or restrictions hampering this in any way.

• Thank you (+1) 1

a non bills endorsed parking lot every week for years has folks who come and setg up their stuff, look for a camo camper.  6am, set up a shade structure and TV screen, , chairs, BBQ, Fryer, Ice Luge, Shenagigans and guys roaming the area selling sick bills t shirts for 5 bucks each. It became a family purchase and Great time.  RV's with tablejumper YEP LOL

There's no place like home

m

55 minutes ago, haroldwaide said:

I'm blown away by this...

Kiko eh...yeah I WAS a fan until he became a **** *** ***** after he left Buffalo. Shady for kiko? we so won that trade

if I saw a guy/girl sporting a Kiko jersey it would depend on which team as to how much grace Id give em lol