OT Crosby...Interest?

Wizard

What are thoughts on Crosby, the RT just cut from Lions?  He is 25 and has starting experience.

I like our rookie Brown, but I am not too excited having two rookies as backups at OT.

I think Crosby would be a nice pickup for the Oline and somebody who could be a valuable reserve.

1 minute ago, Wizard said:

What are thoughts on Crosby, the RT just cut from Lions?  He is 25 and has starting experience.

I like our rookie Brown, but I am not too excited having two rookies as backups at OT.

I think Crosby would be a nice pickup for the Oline and somebody who could be a valuable reserve.

Our two Rookies are better. 

• Disagree 1
  • Agree 1

It's entirely possible that we could upgrade the CB2 spot. It wouldn't take much. The same is true at both G spots. These are 2 weak areas that other teams will seek to exploit. Ford needs to take a huge leap this year or he'll be gone. Feliciano is better than most backups, but not quite starter quality. Wallace will get picked on a lot as always, but I'd still like to keep him as our CB3 or CB4.

Edited by GreggTX

26 minutes ago, Wizard said:

What is it about him that makes you feel "nice pickup"?

• Thank you (+1) 1

Picking up a guy from a team that is a raging dumpster fire doesn't scream "great idea to me ."  The Lions have had a bad o-line for a couple of years and this guy has been part of it.  If he is a decent player, he'll be claimed by one of the o-line needy teams like Carolina or Cincinnati.  I'd pass on this one.

• Like (+1) 1

52 minutes ago, Wizard said:

I think you should learn to like them. Joking.
Brown is going to be very good and Doyle has potential to be a starter or at least the swing tackle starting next year for three additional years at a very team friendly price. 

Edited by atlbillsfan1975

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

What is it about him that makes you feel "nice pickup"?

I like that he has played 38 games in the NFL and started 18 games, including RT as well as some crossover experience at LT and guard.

The Lions are a messy organization, but there starting five o-line is above average as a unit with Decker, Ragnow, and Penei Sewell.

I think Brown becomes a starter down the road and will be a solid backup this year. I am not as high on Doyle being a difference-maker this year. He has raw ability and measurables, but being on the PS I think will give him experience.

I just personally think a guy like Crosby is super-low risk, he has starting experience, some versatility, and I believe he would contribute more this year than Doyle for a Super Bowl aspirational team.

National media has also indicated Crosby as a younger surprising cut with some upside still in his game. Thus, my initial interest as a possible short or long-term OL upgrade.

Edited by Wizard
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, MAJBobby said:

Our two Rookies are better. 

They may be better some day but right now Doyle is not ready to play imo and Brown has never played a snap in the NFL. The Bills are one tackle injury away from finding out if he's ready.

This guy has starting experience and played pretty well according to PFF.  I saw him play in college at Oregon many times in person and many more on tv. I wanted the Bills to draft him that year. Had completely forgotten about him until this thread. I hope they are taking a look because injuries happen on the line. If Doyle and Brown end up on the field together that's not good. Crosby may not b the guy but I hope they get some exp  backup at tackle.

Edited by Turk71
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Bangarang said:

You know who is also young and has plenty of starting experience? Bobby Hart. 

Guys that are young and good at playing tackle don’t get cut like that. 

Bobby Hart?  You're too funny.  You missed your calling you should be doing stand up comedy. Bobby Hart is a sieve. 😁

1 hour ago, Bangarang said:

You know who is also young and has plenty of starting experience? Bobby Hart. 

Guys that are young and good at playing tackle don’t get cut like that. 

Guys get cut for lots of reasons. He's not fully back from a hamstring injury and has 2.6 mil cap hit for the Lions this year. They need a swing tackle now. He was their 6th lineman last year and played well. He 'll get a shot somewhere. Probably not by the Bills; it's puzzling they added a game and didn't expand rosters at all, especially with the pandemic still going on.

7 hours ago, GreggTX said:

It's entirely possible that we could upgrade the CB2 spot. It wouldn't take much. The same is true at both G spots. These are 2 weak areas that other teams will seek to exploit. Ford needs to take a huge leap this year or he'll be gone. Feliciano is better than most backups, but not quite starter quality. Wallace will get picked on a lot as always, but I'd still like to keep him as our CB3 or CB4.

Did you even watch the games last year after Feliciano came back?  He elevated the play of the whole line.

7 hours ago, billsfan89 said:

If he isn’t good enough to make the Lions I doubt he is good enough to make this roster.

Right?! 

Teams simply do not get rid of quality OTs (other than the old Bills with Jason Peters but that no longer counts). Now, if a team as bad as the Lions lets one go, there is simply no reason to think that he is any good.

1 hour ago, Turk71 said:

Bleacher Report gave him a 2nd round grade and said his pro comparison was Cordy Glenn ☺

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2769322-tyrell-crosby-nfl-draft-2018-scouting-report-for-detroit-lions-pick

Yes but the negatives that they list make him sound pretty bad. 

Edited by Bill from NYC

The Bills just got finished making cuts including of some quite good players.  They have built a roster that makes sense for the moment.  When injuries inevitably come, if they're mostly in one position area, then McBeane might make some moves.

8 hours ago, Wizard said:

I like that he has played 38 games in the NFL and started 18 games, including RT as well as some crossover experience at LT and guard.

The Lions are a messy organization, but there starting five o-line is above average as a unit with Decker, Ragnow, and Penei Sewell.

I think Brown becomes a starter down the road and will be a solid backup this year. I am not as high on Doyle being a difference-maker this year. He has raw ability and measurables, but being on the PS I think will give him experience.

I just personally think a guy like Crosby is super-low risk, he has starting experience, some versatility, and I believe he would contribute more this year than Doyle for a Super Bowl aspirational team.

National media has also indicated Crosby as a younger surprising cut with some upside still in his game. Thus, my initial interest as a possible short or long-term OL upgrade.

Thanks for the detailed answer.  Appreciate it. 

I thought the Lions had one of the worst OLs in the league last year?  So what makes Crosby low risk?  I mean, Bobby Hart had 66 games starting experience.....

I think you're right that Doyle needs seasoning, the concern is that Doyle may have showed enough to be poached if he's cut and goes through waivers. 

• Like (+1) 1

I wouldn't be upset if Buffalo swapped out Crosby for Doyle, but I don't think it's a urgent need.  Though he's young, Brown has already flashed impressive ability.  If they had to put him in, they can probably get by with Doyle, and if he struggles, Ryan Bates can play tackle.  Doyle should continue to improve through the season.

9 hours ago, Bill from NYC said:

Right?! 

Teams simply do not get rid of quality OTs (other than the old Bills with Jason Peters but that no longer counts). Now, if a team as bad as the Lions lets one go, there is simply no reason to think that he is any good.

Yes but the negatives that they list make him sound pretty bad. 

That's why he only got a 2nd round grade, he was pretty bad.🤔