Greatest Trade in NFL History [Misleading title]

12 minutes ago, Zerovoltz said:

I think the OP is meaning best trade ever in that both teams got huge wins from the trade....that rarely happens.

From that perspective...this may well be the biggest W-W trade in history.

KC got it's franchise QB, The Bills, even moving down to 27 in that draft, got an all pro CB, then the extra pick which helped to net them Josh Allen the following year...and Allen is a "Franchise QB" in every sense.

Lastly.....Chiefs fan love Mahomes, and Bills fans love Allen.  Neither fan base would trade one for the other....thats fine and again, just another sign of what a W / W trade this was.

There isn't a need to seriously debate their talents...they are both very takented players....and very revered by the fans of the teams and accross the NFL.  Mahomes and Allen are ELITE QB's.  

I am very happy for all the Bills fans...this is a great day for you and your franchise.  I'm looking forward to many more KC/Bills games and also looking foward to rooting on Allen and the Bills when they aren't playing KC.  He's great and fun to watch!   Congratulations and....yes..GREAT TRADE.

i doubt either side would budge and cant blame either for their argument....

Today, right now, Allen/White for Mahomes, any interest?

2nd theoretical.  Do you make the trade for the 2021 season, one year only, then things go back to normal the following year?

(i think an interesting argument could be made for scenario 2)

18 minutes ago, Zerovoltz said:

I think the OP is meaning best trade ever in that both teams got huge wins from the trade....that rarely happens.

KC got it's franchise QB, The Bills, even moving down to 27 in that draft, got an all pro CB, then the extra pick which helped to net them Josh Allen the following year...and Allen is a "Franchise QB" in every sense.

Lastly.....Chiefs fan love Mahomes, and Bills fans love Allen.  Neither fan base would trade one for the other....thats fine and again, just another sign of what a W / W trade this was.

There isn't a need to seriously debate their talents...they are both very takented players....and very revered by the fans of the teams and accross the NFL.  Mahomes and Allen are ELITE QB's.  

I am very happy for all the Bills fans...this is a great day for you and your franchise.  I'm looking forward to many more KC/Bills games and also looking foward to rooting on Allen and the Bills when they aren't playing KC.  He's great and fun to watch!   Congratulations and....yes..GREAT TRADE.

Well said.  Great trade for both teams, but there can still be a winner.  I see the answer to the question as fluid.  Written in pencil, KC is currently in the lead.  1 Lombardi to none.  

We’ll be able to write the answer in pen once they both retire.  The team that has the most SB rings under each QB.  Jmo

that being said, I’ll take 17 and 27 all day.

Edited by NewEra
  • Like (+1) 1

The picks that ended up being Josh Allen were not involved in the Mahomes trade. The picks involved in the Josh Allen trade were the Bills own first round pick in 2018, Cordy Glenn (who was moved to Cincy to trade up from 21 to 12) and the Bills own 2nd round pick and the Bills 2nd round pick acquired from the Rams in the Sammy Watkins trade. 

The picks that the team got from the Mahomes trade became Edumonds and White and some of the picks used to trade up for Zay Jones and Dion Dawkins. White an All-Pro and Edumonds a good Pro-Bowl caliber player with still some room to grow is not a bad return but you can't say it was Josh Allen and White for Mahomes. That's just not accurate.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, billsfan89 said:

The picks that ended up being Josh Allen were not involved in the Mahomes trade. The picks involved in the Josh Allen trade were the Bills own first round pick in 2018, Cordy Glenn (who was moved to Cincy to trade up from 21 to 12) and the Bills own 2nd round pick and the Bills 2nd round pick acquired from the Rams in the Sammy Watkins trade. 

The picks that the team got from the Mahomes trade became Edumonds and White and some of the picks used to trade up for Zay Jones and Dion Dawkins. White an All-Pro and Edumonds a good Pro-Bowl caliber player with still some room to grow is not a bad return but you can't say it was Josh Allen and White for Mahomes. That's just not accurate.

This is technically correct......but essentially, at the time the Bills made the trade, it was with the aim to add ammo to get a QB in the 2018 draft.  When that approached, they had X ammo available to manuever around and the intent of having that ammo, and the moves they ultimately made, were calculated with the idea that they had options available to them when the time came.  Having that extra 1st rounder from KC factored into that quite a bit I would think.

3 minutes ago, SectionC3 said:

Depends on what makes your definition of a trade great.  The Vikings probably don’t like that one very much.  The Bills and Chiefs, though?  Both sides won. 

Sure both teams wound up doing very well. A bit like Diggs for Jefferson. Chiefs wanted PM because they needed a QB and Andy & Co know offence. Bills wanted White because they lost Gilmore and McD & Co know defence. If you stop there its not a good trade for us. You really need Beane to come along and make things right. And he couldn’t have done better.

• Thank you (+1) 1

darn right...but part one of that trade was pre-Beane...really done by McD rook coach with Whaley looking over his shoulder and more likely his watch.but give Beane credit for getting all the up to # 7 to get Josh, without giving a future #1 pick, while still getting another #1 that same draft (Edmunds)...that was complicated and masterful

32 minutes ago, Zerovoltz said:

This makes sense, if it was just one team getting a better deal than the other it'd be Arizona when they mugged the Texans last year.

52 minutes ago, BringBackFergy said:

Tyrod to Cleveland for a 2nd rounder. That’s what allowed us to move up for Josh (I believe)

Not to nit-pick, but the Tyrod trade to Cleveland was for an early 3rd rounder, which was used to trade up with our second 1st round pick in 2018 to acquire T. Edmunds.

The trade-up for Josh was very complex. Let me see if I can remember the sequence:

1. Traded with KC in 2017 to move down in the first and in return got KC's 2018 first rounder (plus more picks later in the draft). That 2018 first rounder turned out to be the 22nd overall pick.

2. After the 2017 season, traded Cordy Glenn to the Bengals and as part of that trade swapped 1st round picks. That moved us up from the #22 overall pick to #12.

3. The Bills had three 2nd round picks heading into 2018. I believe one of those was acquired from the Rams in exchange for Sammy Watkins the year before. I believe that the other came from the Eagles when we traded Darby to them. The other 2nd rounder was the Bills own 2nd round pick.

4. On draft day, the Bills traded up from that #12 pick acquired from Cinci (via KC) along with two of the 2nd round picks to move up to #7 overall to acquire Josh Allen.

Many things had to happen in order for Allen to still be there at #7. For once, the Buffalo Bills lucked out!

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, PonyBoy said:

Bills might have won 1 or 2 of those Superbowls with Dallas if it wasnt for that trade.

Agree best trade/stupidest trade ever!

I think a dumber trade was the Saints/Ditka giving away their whole draft for Ricky Williams. 

1 hour ago, Big Blitz said:

You can argue Beane moving up from 22 to 7 in the 2018 draft to get Allen were the greatest trades in Bills history.

I remember explaining to my son at the time that if we got our QB at #7, nobody would ever even remember what we gave up to get there.  

I have basically no recollection of what it took to trade up to that pick, and I'd definitely have to google it to piece together all the various pieces.  Whatever it was, it was a bargain.

• Like (+1) 1

The deal with the Chiefs worked out great for both teams, just like our trade for Diggs gave the Vikings a great wr in Justin Jefferson. 

I still say the Jerry Hughes trade was the best in Bills history, considering we traded them a linebacker in Kelvin Sheppard who we would have cut anyway for a pro-bowl defensive end who is entering his 9th season with Buffalo.

1 hour ago, billsfan89 said:

You are 100% right, but homer’s gonna homer.  The Bills F*d up, they trade away the pick who is already on pace to be the greatest QB we have ever seen for a pick that turned into a good CB and a 1st rounder that’s not useful until packaged with others to get up to take a QB nobody was looking at in the year they traded away the pick that took the best QB in the league.  It was a bad trade, end of story.  To try to glorify it after the next GM saved it through a lot of hustling is absolute bs.

• Like (+1) 1