Greatest Trade in NFL History [Misleading title]

We might be a part of it.  Who says no to Josh Allen and Tre White for Pat Mahomes? 

I realize that the 2017 trade didn’t directly result in Mahomes for Allen + White.  But that’s the practical effect.  And it has worked out wonderfully for both side.  It’s a great day to be a Bills fan.  And, for what it’s worth, I wouldn’t deal Allen for anyone, including Mahomes. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 3

It would be hard to beat the Herschel Walker trade where the Cowboys got Emmitt Smith, Darren Woodson, Kevin Smith and Russell Maryland among others...

Although the Vikings used the 3rd round pick back to them to take WR Jake Reed who had a very good career for them with 450 catches, almost 7K yards  and 36 TDs.

What made it even better for Dallas is that Walker never again remotely approached the 1,500+ season he had with them...topping out at 825 yards with Minnesota in 2.5 seasons before he became a FA and went to Philly where he had his only other 1000+ yard season...

So the Cowboys got premium quality+ returns for a declining asset.  A far cry from the Chiefs getting the consensus best QB in the NFL right now and potentially best ever by the time he is done in return.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 2

3 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

It would be hard to beat the Herschel Walker trade where the Cowboys got Emmitt Smith, Darren Woodson, Kevin Smith and Russell Maryland among others...

Although the Vikings used the 3rd round pick back to them to take WR Jake Reed who had a very good career for them with 450 catches, almost 7K yards  and 36 TDs.

What made it even better for Dallas is that Walker never again remotely approached the 1,500+ season he had with them...topping out at 825 yards with Minnesota in 2.5 seasons before he became a FA and went to Philly where he had his only other 1000+ yard season...

So the Cowboys got premium quality+ returns for a declining asset.  A far cry from the Chiefs getting the consensus best QB in the NFL right now and potentially best ever by the time he is done in return.

I hear you but Allen will be better than Pat when the dust settles. 

4 minutes ago, starrymessenger said:

We got our guy. Could not have gotten a better one. But “greatest trade ever”? JMO but methinks thats the one that sent H. Walker to Mini for a bag of superbowls.

Bills might have won 1 or 2 of those Superbowls with Dallas if it wasnt for that trade.

Agree best trade/stupidest trade ever!

I’m happy with where we are. I don’t think Mahomes is as godly as he’s made out to be. But he’s got a ring and MVP. They’re still winning that scenario in most eyes. We need a ring plain and simple. 
Until then we’re just the franchise who lost 4 Super Bowls and nothing more. 

• Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, starrymessenger said:

I hear you but Allen will be better than Pat when the dust settles. 

I don't disagree that is a distinct possibility, but its close enough that I don't think you could say it is a conclusive win. Especially not when you compare what the Vikings and Cowboys ultimately ended up with

I think the OP is meaning best trade ever in that both teams got huge wins from the trade....that rarely happens.

From that perspective...this may well be the biggest W-W trade in history.

KC got it's franchise QB, The Bills, even moving down to 27 in that draft, got an all pro CB, then the extra pick which helped to net them Josh Allen the following year...and Allen is a "Franchise QB" in every sense.

Lastly.....Chiefs fan love Mahomes, and Bills fans love Allen.  Neither fan base would trade one for the other....thats fine and again, just another sign of what a W / W trade this was.

There isn't a need to seriously debate their talents...they are both very takented players....and very revered by the fans of the teams and accross the NFL.  Mahomes and Allen are ELITE QB's.  

I am very happy for all the Bills fans...this is a great day for you and your franchise.  I'm looking forward to many more KC/Bills games and also looking foward to rooting on Allen and the Bills when they aren't playing KC.  He's great and fun to watch!   Congratulations and....yes..GREAT TRADE.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 6
  • Thank you (+1) 4

23 minutes ago, SectionC3 said:

We might be a part of it.  Who says no to Josh Allen and Tre White for Pat Mahomes? 

I realize that the 2017 trade didn’t directly result in Mahomes for Allen + White.  But that’s the practical effect.  And it has worked out wonderfully for both side.  It’s a great day to be a Bills fan.  And, for what it’s worth, I wouldn’t deal Allen for anyone, including Mahomes. 

You can’t play that card until Allen has a SB. 

Doesn’t matter how great Allen and White are, if Mahommes is consistently going to the SB and a perennial All-Pro then they won that trade.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

12 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

Did you see the 30 for 30 short they did about the Walker trade? Fascinating. You have to give Johnson credit, it was a genius move to get all those players for one guy. Though I was shocked the Vikings never realized that the Cowboys would just cut the players they sent them so they could be turned into 1st rounders.

Also, the whole draft trade value chart came about because of JJ. He worked it up for that draft and then everyone copied it. Such an amazing job of building a team so quickly, especially before FA

• Agree 1

Just now, Big Turk said:

I don't disagree that is a distinct possibility, but its close enough that I don't think you could say it is a conclusive win. Especially not when you compare what the Vikings and Cowboys ultimately ended up with

Yep it is close. Today.

JMO of course (and maybe I’m being a homer) but without (until recently) a strong supporting cast, a year to sit and acclimate, the benefit of a coach who specializes in offence, and  years of work in a big school program, Allen is competitive with PM as a decision maker, meaning he understands coverages as well as Pat and is as quick to decisively pull the trigger (that actually accounts for most of his improvement last year). His physical ability clearly exceeds Pat’s. I think its mostly just a matter of time.

I'll stick with Josh Allen. I am not sold on Mahommes being the next Tom Brady. He was nothing special in the last Super Bowl. I am pretty sure the Chiefs will not go to 10 Super Bowls in a row and I would bet we will have our chances soon. Who knows? In 3 years Chiefs fans might be pining for Josh Allen

• Eyeroll 1
  • Dislike 1

25 minutes ago, starrymessenger said:

We got our guy. Could not have gotten a better one. But “greatest trade ever”? JMO but methinks thats the one that sent H. Walker to Mini for a bag of superbowls.

Depends on what makes your definition of a trade great.  The Vikings probably don’t like that one very much.  The Bills and Chiefs, though?  Both sides won. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, PonyBoy said:

Bills might have won 1 or 2 of those Superbowls with Dallas if it wasnt for that trade.

Agree best trade/stupidest trade ever!

I watched Jimmy Johnson discussing that trade at some point in the past decade and Jimmy basically stated he lied to the Vikings to get that trade done. He was supposed to keep about 4 of those guys as a cost cutting move for the Vikings and instead cut them to get the draft picks instead. The Vikings were used to dealing with the gentlemen who used to run the Cowboys 

• Thank you (+1) 1