Bills sign RB Matt Breida

njbuff

2 minutes ago, ngbills said:

Had him on my list. Upgrade over Yeldon for sure- interested to see if they see him as back up or competing to be #1 back. 

I had him on my list to,right after he signed

• Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Bobby Hooks said:

It’s good to see you don’t get too firmly entrenched into your opinions and don’t mind seeing things from other people’s perspectives. 

Oh wait... 

If you want to call siding with the math "entrenched".........so be it..........you aren't going to regret passing on a RB in round one in this day in age.

Your first round picks are your primary chance to find players at high value positions that you won't get an opportunity to acquire otherwise.

The draft is an ongoing process of team building..........it shouldn't be treated like an unrelated event from the prior year and the year prior to that........

Free agency is an event.   That's where you address your needs in that moment.

Beane seems to understand that better than any GM the Bills have had.........but those shiny RB's and off-the-bus starters(like Cody Ford) are very alluring.

1 hour ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

Think one of the issues is roster slots on game day.  If McKenzie is going to be the return guy, that potentially frees up an extra roster spot that they could keep three RB's active on Sundays.  Similar this new TE they signed, sounds like he provides everything Gilliam, Smith, and Kroft gave the Bills, so that also could free up one more slot on Sundays.

I wonder if the Bills KR is on team as constructed.  McKenzie is not just a PR only candidate as he has experience as KOR with Broncos and us early on.  And Taiwan Jones has had 82 career KO returns.  Breida has also returned kicks albeit only 5 as a rookie in SF

3 minutes ago, without a drought said:

Last season the average pass to him traveled 0 yards.

Breida can't help it if that was Tua's Modus Operandi at QB.  Horizontal passing game only.  

14 minutes ago, Boxcar said:

Even Miami Breida was a much better receiver than Singletary, and they averaged about the same YPC.

Ok then I stay with Motor who is on a rookie deal and hasn’t had the durability issues 

32 minutes ago, Jauronimo said:

A healthy Ford adds power in the run game.  But I also think he weakens pass protection.  

He is the slowest one off the line by a considerable margin. I don't think his power can make up for that deficiency at this level. 

11 minutes ago, ngbills said:

Had him on my list. Upgrade over Yeldon for sure- interested to see if they see him as back up or competing to be #1 back. 

Will be interesting to see. Going to be a lot of competition at RB this time. I'm excited to see Williams more. 

2 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

If you want to call siding with the math "entrenched".........so be it..........you aren't going to regret passing on a RB in round one in this day in age.

Your first round picks are your primary chance to find players at high value positions that you won't get an opportunity to acquire otherwise.

The draft is an ongoing process of team building..........it shouldn't be treated like an unrelated event from the prior year and the year prior to that........

Free agency is an event.   That's where you address your needs in that moment.

Beane seems to understand that better than any GM the Bills have had.........but those shiny RB's and off-the-bus starters(like Cody Ford) are very alluring.

We’re not talking about a pick in the top ten. It’s pick 30. If Beane and company believe they can get a true game changer at pick 30, I’m all for it. 

Unlike you, I’m open minded about all picks. You realize the board moves and changes based on picks made before yours, right? You’ve got to remain fluid and open while things are happening. 

Maybe you’re so used to being a fan of a team that has many needs that have to be filled. The Bills don’t have that problem. It will actually be very hard for a rookie to crack the starting lineup. So why not take the guy highest in your board? 

Id actually prefer going defense (possibly corner) but if Beane thinks he’s got the right guy, he won’t hear any complaints from me. All I’m saying is I’m glad Beane seems a little less rigid and myopic than some backseat gms in this thread. 

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

Seems more like you think they shouldn't take a RB in the first not sure how Breida effects it.

But there is a ton of things that go into it not just BPA but who offers the most upgrade over who we already have at positions.

Honestly I don't want to see them take a RB in any of the first 3 rounds.   

Frankly, the Singletary and Moss picks have both turned out regrettably...........and it's not that they are even bad players........it's just that the amount of impact you need from a RB to justify passing on harder to fill positions is rather substantial.

"Who offers the most upgrade" probably shouldn't carry much weight in a $20M decision(which all first round picks should be considered).    Sammy Watkins offered a greater upgrade to the WR position than Khalil Mack or Aaron Donald did to the Bills DL.      

• Like (+1) 1