Bills sign RB Matt Breida

njbuff

11 minutes ago, BillsFan130 said:

1. I think there will be big changes in terms of the actual scheme of the run game and will do a lot more runs with Morse pulling.

2. I think they are banking on star coming back and making an impact, as well as Oliver making a huge leap in year 3.

3. definitely disappointed in them not really addressing the pass rush. They need to add an impact player here somehow.

A healthy Ford adds power in the run game.  But I also think he weakens pass protection.  

• Like (+1) 1

At this point, the Bills are already signing camp bodies to compete for the final roster spots.

I wouldn't be certain that Jacob Hollister, Efe Obada or Matt Breida actually make the team after final cuts.

I'll be honest.  It's been a pretty uneventful and somewhat disappointing free agency.

Yeah, I was thrilled we re-signed almost all of the guys I wanted to bring back.  But I was really hoping we could get a veteran corner to upgrade on Levi Wallace, another good edge rusher to add into the rotation, and a real threat at tight end.  Maybe we are waiting for the post-draft bargain bin, but right now it really appears that Beane is done (with anything other than back-end depth).

Hopefully the draft goes well, because it just doesn't appear to be a deep class at our need-positions.

• Eyeroll 1
  • Dislike 1

1 minute ago, without a drought said:

Like McKenzie, he has returned some kicks in his career. The problem is that neither has shown to be good at it, at least in Breida's defense it was only a handful of tries.

Yeah I think it's possible that the loss of Roberts will be a bigger difference than some think. Depending on what else happens in offseason. Won't have the good field position like he gave them many times I suspect. They may even take the 25 yd line majority of the time.

1 hour ago, BuffaloBill said:

Hopefully this absolutely kills any notion of a RB in rounds one or two. 

This TBH.

A 1 year rental with more upside than Yeldon. If he can stay healthy and contribute he can stick around longer.

43 minutes ago, Bobby Hooks said:

I don’t get how people thinks this means we won’t draft a running back. It’s a one year deal, and as people have pointed out there are injury concerns. 

I like that we got him, but I think we’re set up perfectly for bpa in mostly all positions. If there’s a guy that the Bills really like at 30 I don’t think the Bills pass because of Brieda. 

BPA is a term rendered bogus by those that have turned it around selectively to make an excuse for the extremely dubious act of drafting RB's early.

BPA should entail the value of the position,  the difficulty to fill that position and the expected longevity.    

There is not an imaginary line after "all regular offensive and defensive players" at which point special teams players aren't factored in.

There is a scale that starts at QB and gradually decreases in value down to a very low number at RB.....which is the last stop before you get to the kicker, punter and long snapper.

The game just doesn't lend itself to putting a lot of value in the RB position..........and as such the quality of athletes and longevity at the position has also declined relative to other positions.     

It's outright foolish to draft a RB in round 1.    

Edited by BADOLBILZ

31 minutes ago, loveorhatembillsfan4life said:

I’m thinking Cb at 30? Will there be some good talent available? I don’t think Levi is really viewed as our number 2. Or is Jackson ready to step into that role.. 

that is the one position where I think there is Value at 30. There isn’t many of those positions in this draft. 

2 minutes ago, Boxcar said:

I love this. I hope Breida isn't relegated to a Yeldon level of snaps. I'd make him and Moss the primary RB tandem.

Beane is crushing this offseason, holy crap.

Breida of SF yes. Breida of MIA doesn’t make the roster. Either way Both Breidas come with major injury issues to really count on as lead back. 

Edited by MAJBobby

7 minutes ago, mjt328 said:

At this point, the Bills are already signing camp bodies to compete for the final roster spots.

I wouldn't be certain that Jacob Hollister, Efe Obada or Matt Breida actually make the team after final cuts.

I agree with this statement as it pertains to Breida (assuming his contract price is low). I think he will be in a battle with Williams, Wade, and possibly a draft pick for that 3rd string RB role, and wouldn’t be surprised if he gets cut.  But more competition is better. 

the thing that is painful for me was re-signing Taiwan Jones. I was hoping we would get a RB who would fill both the speed/depth RB role and the ST gunner. Taiwan gives you nothing on offense on game day. 

• Like (+1) 1

37 minutes ago, r00tabaga said:

WR?

They have G.Davis and I.Hodgins from last year plus Kumerow & the Wyoming kid. 
...maybe spend a 6th or a 7th but not 1-3

Oh yeah....Hodgins and Kumerow.....I forgot.    Two burners.......not.  We need speed at wr.  We should be drafting a WR in the first 4 rds in almost every draft.  

Beasley will be 32 in a month.  Sanders is on a one year deal.  Hodgins is a slot guy.  Kumerow is a ST guy.  None are deep threats.  

look at the draft board.  There are several very good WRs that could be BPA in rd 2 and 3.  If a wr is BPA when we pick in rd 2 or 3, they should be the pick.  Period.

you disagree?  Cool.  I stick to my guns.  We need more playmakers whether or not you feel that way.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, ChronicAndKnuckles said:

Idk why not somebody who can catch though ? I really hope they get someone like that in the draft. A Woodhead/Sproles type. 

Breida has caught 76% of targets for 9 ypc average.  He has averaged 90% catch rate last 3 years.  Not sure how he holds up in pass pro at 190 lbs

6 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

BPA is a term rendered bogus by those that have turned it around selectively to make an excuse for the extremely dubious act of drafting RB's early.

BPA should entail the value of the position,  the difficulty to fill that position and the expected longevity.    

There is not an imaginary line after "all regular offensive and defensive players" at which point special teams players aren't factored in.

There is a scale that starts at QB and gradually decreases in value down to a very low number at RB.....which is the last stop before you get to the kicker, punter and long snapper.

The game just doesn't lend itself to putting a lot of value in the RB position..........and as such the quality of athletes and longevity at the position has also declined relative to other positions.     

Seems more like you think they shouldn't take a RB in the first not sure how Breida effects it.

But there is a ton of things that go into it not just BPA but who offers the most upgrade over who we already have at positions.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

5 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

that is the one position where I think there is Value at 30. There isn’t many of those positions in this draft. 

Breida of SF yes. Breida of MIA doesn’t make the roster. Either way Both Breidas come with major injury issues to really count on as lead back. 

Even Miami Breida was a much better receiver than Singletary, and they averaged about the same YPC.

9 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

It’s good to see you don’t get too firmly entrenched into your own opinions and don’t mind seeing things from other people’s perspectives. 

Oh wait... 

Edited by Bobby Hooks

1 minute ago, Warcodered said:

Seems more like you think they shouldn't take a RB in the first not sure how Breida effects it.

But there is a ton of things that go into it not just BPA but who offers the most upgrade over who we already have at positions.

Yup, it all depends on how things play out. So many try to predict what will happen and who gets picked where in the draft. Never can tell how it will go, especially at pick # 30. A whole lot can happen by then.

47 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

Speed back. Good out of backfield. Don’t have his skill set on our RB roster Gets hurt a lot. Havent seen the money yet. 

but which one do we get the Good Breida from San Fran

or the Crap one from MIA?

A voice of reason ...