Bills sign RB Matt Breida

njbuff

16 minutes ago, Awwufelloff said:

CB/DE rounds 1/2?

Aside from a very talented DE (who admittedly may need seasoning) there's nothing on D right now they need in the 1st round. 

Drafts aren't for this year when you're this low in the 1st round and I wish people would stop looking at rookies as the solution to team needs. 

You can now shade more toward BPA than need.   

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, ScottLaw said:

Ill still never understand the hate for Yeldon.... wasn't great but he was probably the best receiver out of the backfield on the roster and had some speed. Really puzzling he never got playing time. 

I didn't trust him to not fumble the ball.........but he should have gotten more chances.

Breida on the other hand is a guy who can legitimately hit 22mph in the open field..........which puts him up there with anyone aside from Mostert.

RB's are still a at least a half dozen for a dime........but good pickup by Beane.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, mattynh said:

HMMM does this make Singletary or Moss expendable?  They did keep three guys on the roster but whats his face was inactive almost every game...

Well, Moss is still the closest thing we have to a power back. I'd also say he had a slightly better season than Singletary. I would guess this bodes the worst for Singletary.

2 minutes ago, RyanC883 said:

I'd still take Harris or Williams if there potentially at 30.  Or, most likely, a team that really wants one of those guys would be willing to trade with us.  I think we still need upgrades at OG, DT, and DE and TE.  I'd go in that order in the draft because they seem to have the most instant impact.  

I'd even swap 1st and trade 2nd and 5th for ability to grab Pitts.  

that is a good question: why did Miami barley use him???  

Why does Miami do anything 

• Haha (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, ChronicAndKnuckles said:

What makes u think he's a receiving threat? Not being a jerk I'm just wondering why. 

I guess I should have quoted the highlight reel someone posted earlier in the thread. He made a couple of good catches in there.

I know, I know - YouTube scouting. But still...

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, ChronicAndKnuckles said:

What makes u think he's a receiving threat? Not being a jerk I'm just wondering why. 

There's a 49ers highlight reel of him, and he does make a couple of TD catches - and from in the Red Zone, so it isn't just a screen pass to the house deal.

25 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Is he just a Yeldon replacement? Or legit competition for Singletary and Moss? Hopefully the latter. We need speed on the field.

Think one of the issues is roster slots on game day.  If McKenzie is going to be the return guy, that potentially frees up an extra roster spot that they could keep three RB's active on Sundays.  Similar this new TE they signed, sounds like he provides everything Gilliam, Smith, and Kroft gave the Bills, so that also could free up one more slot on Sundays.

7 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Ill still never understand the hate for Yeldon.... wasn't great but he was probably the best receiver out of the backfield on the roster and had some speed. Really puzzling he never got playing time. 

Again was about roster slots on Sundays, wasn't an easy way to may three slots for RB's available without McD feeling they were short changing another position.

Edited by Ed_Formerly_of_Roch

8 minutes ago, Ethan in Portland said:

He is Yeldon's immediate replacement but will battle for Singletary's touches. It was obvious by mid-season that Moss was the #1 back. They probably like his physicality. 

I'm fine with this group at RB. 

I had Harris in my draft plans but now I want a NT, an edge, a CB, a true center and a TE. 

I hope people don't think this eliminates Harris (or other top RB) from the draft especially if he drops. Breida is a camp body the way I see it and he'll compete. It would be very hard for them to pass up somebody like that at 30. He could be replacing Singletary for all we know.

Just now, WhoTom said:

I guess I should have quoted the highlight reel someone posted earlier in the thread. He made a couple of good catches in there.

I know, I know - YouTube scouting. But still...

Thing is, those highlights are from the actual NFL, not from college, where his sort of speed could look ridiculous.

NFL highlight reel = what he can do as opposed to college highlight reel = what he might be able to do in the NFL. ;)

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, ChronicAndKnuckles said:

Moss and Breida both had less than 100 receiving yards for the whole 2020 season. I mean maybe they weren't really given the opportunity, but the stats aren't very impressive.

Breida barely played last year. Can only catch if you’re thrown to. Neither guys seen many targets. Breida does have decent hands though. 

3 minutes ago, BillsFan619 said:

Since we need his speed, what makes you think he’s only Yeldon’s replacement?

Yeldon was barely active and we need Breida’s speed out there.

Why didn’t Miami need his speed? He couldn’t crack their roster and was a healthy inactive most of the season despite them having barely no talent at running back and they were hurting for playmakers to catch the ball. Speed is great, but not if you can’t be effective. Breida is tricky because everyone in San Fran looks like an all pro. I am a little sketchy of a guy who couldn’t beat out Myles Gaskin, Ahmed whatever his name was, Patrick Laird.. Not a good look if you’re sitting behind those guys. He has upside of course and his speed is elite, but he’s got his work cut out for him

24 minutes ago, BuffaloBill said:

Hopefully this absolutely kills any notion of a RB in rounds one or two. 

Yes.  Now we have a speed guy, a moves guy, and a power guy.  We are a pass first team, and this adds some element of danger to our running attack, should we ever need it.

Know this is a popular move, but it doesn't move the needle much for me.    Decent player who adds speed to the roster, but I also can see him as a guy who is deactivated on game days.   Good level two free agent who could add to the team but its a crowded room especially with Jones on the roster for special teams.

• Disagree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, BillsFan619 said:

With us needing his speed, what makes you think that?

If Breida had a hard time cracking the Dolphins lineup and they let him go what makes you think he's anything more then added depth for Buffalo?

Again, I like adding speed. I also liked Yeldons catching abilities for what good it did us.

• Agree 1