Zach Ertz about to be traded? [Edit: or Not]

Rubes

I don't want the Bills to have to spend a 3rd round pick for Ertz.

That said, I'm not sure who could realistically be selected with the 30th pick in the 3rd round that would have as big (and instant) an impact on the Bills as Ertz would.

Recent third round picks by the Bills: Harrison Phillips, Devin Singletary, Zach Moss, Dawson Knox.

I think I'd be okay with a 2022 3rd. Beane could find a way to trade down in rounds 1 or 2 this year or next year and recoup the pick.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Marcel L-J thinks that's possible

I was just going to come here and say I think that the timing of not only the presser but the Chargers signing Cook signals Roseman is being unreasonable and everyone's out. But now I'm hoping the Chargers signing Cook has brought him back down to earth.

Imagine being Ertz and being told you can talk to teams about a trade - only for Roseman to be like "yeah, we're not really interested in trading you for less than an unreasonable price". Guys gotta be so pissed right now.

Edited by BillsFanForever19

1 minute ago, Logic said:

That said, I'm not sure who could realistically be selected with the 30th pick in the 3rd round that would have as big (and instant) an impact on the Bills as Ertz would.

Recent third round picks by the Bills: Harrison Phillips, Devin Singletary, Zach Moss, Dawson Knox.

I think I'd be okay with a 2022 3rd. Beane could find a way to trade down in rounds 1 or 2 this year or next year and recoup the pick.

No... too steep... who else wants him now with LAC out?

1 minute ago, Logic said:

I'll be surprised if the offer is that high (like what Rodney Hudson went for, which is still mind-blowing), and if it was I feel the Eagles would have pulled the trigger instead of reportedly wanting a stronger offer.

All indications are that they're intent on doing this to shed cap, so acquiring him can be (somewhat) looked at as a favor for them.

Just now, BillsFanForever19 said:

I was just going to come here and say I think that the timing of not only the presser but the Chargers signing Cook signals Roseman is being unreasonable. But now I'm hoping the Chargers signing Cook has brought him back down to earth.

Imagine being Ertz and being told you can talk to teams about a trade - only for Roseman to be like "yeah, we're not really interested in trading you for less than an unreasonable price". Guys gotta be so pissed right now.

If I’m Beane, I’m dropping my offer a round or two. Why bid against yourself?

Just now, 947 said:

Beane is too smart to trade our 1st or 2nd for the right to overpay Ertz. He probably offered a 5th.

If Philly won't come down on the asking price, he'll sign Rudolph.

I’d say a 5th and a pick next year.

many more and I’d prefer Rudolph or would call TB about Howard 

3 minutes ago, Aussie Joe said:

No... too steep... who else wants him now with LAC out?

I hear you.

I'm just saying that in my view, a 2022 3rd ISN'T too steep (and I realize I'm in the minority), because:

1.) I think Ertz would greatly improve the offense. He'd improve the run game, the passing game, and allow Knox to become more of an H-Back/Move TE. Two positional improvements for the price of one.
2.) Next Year's picks generally are considered one round lower. In other words, a 2022 3rd is equivalent to a 2021 4th.
3.) because I think Beane could recoup the third round pick easily by trading down in rounds 1 or 2 this year or next year.

21 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Samuel is not just fast dave..........he was one of the better downfield receivers in the NFL last year.    He's not just a juiced up Isaiah McKenzie.    He's a RB who converted to WR and is now an outstanding, versatile AND lightning fast WR.   I like Sanders but at some point Sanders is gonna' hit the wall.   34 is old for a WR.  I already think he's become less impactful than his stats indicate.   It would be a shame if it happens in a year when the Bills are considered one of the conference favorites.

We'll see. I get where you're coming from, but it is a fact that he's been remarkably injury free. In 11 years, he's never played in fewer than 11 games, and most seasons he has played basically the full 16 games (and 17 in 2019, a year when he was traded). He also had a 75 percent catch rate last season while averaging 12 ypc, which as you know is pretty darn good. It's also the highest pct of his career. Granted, it was Brees throwing the ball, but it's still very good. He looked the same as ever to me last season.  Also, he was brought in by the Saints for the same reason the Bills brought him in -- to complement a true #1 (Michael Thomas) and present more problems for defenses because Sanders is very adept at handling complex offenses requiring an ability to handle a big route tree with precision.   

2 minutes ago, 947 said:

Beane is too smart to trade our 1st or 2nd for the right to overpay Ertz. He probably offered a 5th.

If Philly won't come down on the asking price, he'll sign Rudolph.

Yes, a 1 or 2 is too much.  Bad year not to have our 4th.

But lets not say its for the right to overpay Ertz.  $8 mill is a bargain, Jonnu got $12, Everett got $6 and Kroft was at $5.  Part of the benefit of trading for Ertz is you get a great salary.  And hopefully restructure into a 2 year thing.