Zach Ertz about to be traded? [Edit: or Not]

Rubes

5 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

Well, I think it's kind of the opposite, innit?  If they signed Samuel they'd be less locked in to WR at 30.  

Perhaps they want a stud young WR on a rookie contract to learn behind Diggs, Beasley, & Sanders for 1 year vs. signing a top young guy, which would lock them into having two $10M+ receivers for the next 3 seasons? 

(Personally I don't think it's either scenario, but it's just a thought exercise)

Edited by junior12thman92

Just now, glazeduck said:

It better be or it's a massive overpay.

I don't disagree that a 3rd is a steep price, but...

I'm just curious who, with the 30th pick in the third round, is likely to improve the Bills more (and more instantly) than Zach Ertz. 

Moss, Singletary, Knox, Phillips. Those are our most recent third round picks.

I dunno, man...I just don't know.

• Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

Well, I think it's kind of the opposite, innit?  If they signed Samuel they'd be less locked in to WR at 30.  

What I'm saying is that WR is an option at 30 now still.  Whereas if they had Samuel there they would be a lot less likely to take one.  

WRs can be expensive in the open market, it's great if you can have them home grown.  If a value falls you want to be able to take it.  IMO, it leaves Toney as an option if he falls.

If it's true that we are the only team in on a trade and others are just waiting for him to be released, then we are getting robbed if we give anything more than a 2022 4th round pick. 

5th round would be better.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Logic said:

I'm just curious who, with the 30th pick in the third round, is likely to improve the Bills more (and more instantly) than Zach Ertz. 

While your point is not wrong, I think this is looking at it the wrong way (from my point, anyway)... 

It's one thing to offer a 3rd if we're competing against other teams for Ertz. I would still argue that's an overpay, but that's because I think his best football is very uch behind him. But if we're competing for him, sure, you throw out your best price.

If we're the only one negotiating for him now that the Chargers signed Cook, there's absolutely no reason to keep the price the same. Lower the offer to a 5th and call Howie's bluff. If we miss out, it's not like we're missing out on an otherworldly player anymore -- this isn't Aaron Donald we're trading for here. 

55 minutes ago, thenorthremembers said:

You have a tight end on the roster currently who may be entering that exact window.   Otherwise go get Rudolph because Ertz at 31 is not worth anything more than a 4th.

We will see on knox, and I hope it works out. Ertz has let's say 3 years left in the tank, gets us a chance to develop another. Typically teams with a franchise QB, build in 3 to 4 year cycles and we are now on our first. I have zero issue with trading a very late 3rd (basically early 4th) or later this year for his services the next 3 to 4 years and snagging a developmental guy this year or next...

• Like (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, glazeduck said:

While your point is not wrong, I think this is looking at it the wrong way (from my point, anyway)... 

It's one thing to offer a 3rd if we're competing against other teams for Ertz. I would still argue that's an overpay, but that's because I think his best football is very uch behind him. But if we're competing for him, sure, you throw out your best price.

If we're the only one negotiating for him now that the Chargers signed Cook, there's absolutely no reason to keep the price the same. Lower the offer to a 5th and call Howie's bluff. If we miss out, it's not like we're missing out on an otherworldly player anymore -- this isn't Aaron Donald we're trading for here. 

He’s not going to lower the offer. That’s not how we do business with Philly. 

13 minutes ago, Logic said:

Shaun Wade, Haseem Nasirildeen, Trill Williams, Tyler Shelvin, Alim McNeil, plenty of quality OL still left in the rd. A big nickel, CB2 or a quality 1 tech would be an instant upgrade. 

Edited by ndirish1978
  • Like (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, Reed83HOF said:

We will see on knox, and I hope it works out. Ertz has let's say 3 years left in the tank, gets us a chance to develop another. Typically teams with a franchise QB, build in 3 to 4 year cycles and we are now on our first. I have zero issue with trading a very late 3rd (basically early 4th) or later this year for his services the next 3 to 4 years and snagging a developmental guy this year or next...

The decision isn't just "Ertz or no Ertz" in a vacuum though. We could sign Rudolph who's arguably going to contribute just or nearly as much as Ertz. Njoku looks very available, Darren Fells just got cut as will others... This is not a situation where we need to get bent over backwards, especially given Ertz' contract will need to be restructured and there's no guarantee (until he agrees to it) of what that number will be...

1 minute ago, 4merper4mer said:

Is Dan Arnold still available?  I can’t find anything indicating otherwise.  He is younger and cheaper than Ertz; and probably better at this point given Ertz age, injuries and attitude.

Ertz is only 30.