Zach Ertz about to be traded? [Edit: or Not]

Rubes

11 minutes ago, Logic said:

I don't disagree that a 3rd is a steep price, but...

I'm just curious who, with the 30th pick in the third round, is likely to improve the Bills more (and more instantly) than Zach Ertz. 

Moss, Singletary, Knox, Phillips. Those are our most recent third round picks.

I dunno, man...I just don't know.

It’s not just a third round pick, though.  It’s a third round pick AND $8,250,000.  For that level of assets, I think I could get something better than a 31 year old TE coming off a terrible season who will be a FA in a year.

• Like (+1) 3

2 minutes ago, 4merper4mer said:

Is Dan Arnold still available?  I can’t find anything indicating otherwise.  He is younger and cheaper than Ertz; and probably better at this point given Ertz age, injuries and attitude.

He is, I also saw the Texans just cut Darren Fells who isn't a horrible TE2 that we could sign and not count against comp formula. 

1 minute ago, ndirish1978 said:

Shaun Wade, Haseem Nasirildeen, Trill Williams, Tyler Shelvin, Alim McNeil, plenty of quality OL still left in the rd. A big nickel, CB2 or a quality 1 tech would be an instant upgrade. 

It's basically an early 4th, very few can step in and make a difference in yr 1

3 minutes ago, 4merper4mer said:

Is Dan Arnold still available?  I can’t find anything indicating otherwise.  He is younger and cheaper than Ertz; and probably better at this point given Ertz age, injuries and attitude.

He was great on the Wonder Years 

• Haha (+1) 3

2 minutes ago, The Governor said:

He’s not going to lower the offer. That’s not how we do business with Philly. 

We'll never know, so it's kinda moot in the end. 

I know Beane values relationships across the league, but GMs also know the game, they know how this all works. I can tell you if the situation were reversed, Howie wouldn't hesitate to lower the offer -- again -- IF we're truly the only team still in talks for Ertz -- another thing we'll likely never know for sure...

2 minutes ago, ndirish1978 said:

Shaun Wade, Haseem Nasirildeen, Trill Williams, Tyler Shelvin, Alim McNeil, plenty of quality OL still left in the rd. A big nickel, CB2 or a quality 1 tech would be an instant upgrade. 

0 chance Nas or McNeil are there at the end of the 3rd...

2 minutes ago, glazeduck said:

The decision isn't just "Ertz or no Ertz" in a vacuum though. We could sign Rudolph who's arguably going to contribute just or nearly as much as Ertz. Njoku looks very available, Darren Fells just got cut as will others... This is not a situation where we need to get bent over backwards, especially given Ertz' contract will need to be restructured and there's no guarantee (until he agrees to it) of what that number will be...

Ertz is better and more reliable and has won an SB. Last year in philly, does not constitute a decline, it is a still very good player on a ***** team that was falling apart week by week with awful qb play

• Like (+1) 3

3 minutes ago, ndirish1978 said:

Not sold on Wade yet (need to watch more of his tape), but you've crushed this list. Would love any of those dudes in the third!

3 minutes ago, ndirish1978 said:

All the players you just listed would help, sure, but they’d all be rotational players at best. They also all have the POTENTIAL to be good players in the NFL.

Meanwhile, Zach Ertz would be a full time starter, and we already KNOW he’s a good player in the NFL.

• Agree 1

40 minutes ago, DCOrange said:

Presumably Cam Brate and or OJ Howard are available from the Bucs as potential trade/cut candidates. I might prefer either of them over Ertz but if Ertz comes relatively cheap I will be pretty happy about it.

The Bucs just extended Brate so I'm assuming that means they want to keep him.

I'm not seeing the Howard love...as a former pick #19 overall, has he lived up to that?  and he's coming back from an Achilles, which is always worrisome.

Just now, Reed83HOF said:

Ertz is better and more reliable and has won an SB. Last year in philly, does not constitute a decline, it is a still very good player on a ***** team that was falling apart week by week with awful qb play

As I've said in other threads, go watch Ertz' tape from last year. He can't run anymore (not that he was ever a + athlete to begin with). Super Bowl rings and past stats don't mean anything when you can't bring what you once did to a team. 

This is looking more and more likely, so I would love to be wrong, but I just do not see an impact player in Ertz anymore, and I'd suspect our FO is not expecting that either. Just my 2 cents...

3 minutes ago, Aussie Joe said:

But who are the Bills bidding against?

Oh it should be lower imo, just saying normally our 3rds are late seconds or an actual 3rd. All of our picks this year are at the top of the following round, there is no talent sliding down to us this year. Rd1 is the only pick worth a crap, maybe rd 2, maybe...

A 5th should get this done imo

2 minutes ago, Logic said:

All the players you just listed would help, sure, but they’d all be rotational players at best. They also all have the POTENTIAL to be good players in the NFL.

Meanwhile, Zach Ertz would be a full time starter, and we already KNOW he’s a good player in the NFL.

Which is what we want now in 2021...

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

This.  Especially as we are very short on cap.

Meh, see the saints and chiefs, we have lots of expiring contracts the next couple years. 2024 we only have Dawkins Tre and Milano signed. This is easy to do....

Push the chips in, an SB winner is very helpful too for this young team

14 minutes ago, Johnny3410 said:

What does everybody think of Jesse James as a free agent?  Last 2 years in Detroit his numbers were not very good at all.  However he was decent in Pittsburgh.

I kinda like the thought of having Wild West Outlaws on the team...

Maybe we can get Doc Holliday and Wyatt Earp too...

• Like (+1) 1