Peterman signed to extension

YoloinOhio

3 minutes ago, Jerome007 said:

Hey, I was actually rooting for him to make some NFL money a bit to be able to digest that INT filled debut. But $2.75M? My soft heart is more than sated. That's too much ha ha. Dude must be really awesome in practice and in the film room for coaches to love him so much

I think it cheaper to just buy a spare jugs machine for DBs to practice with.

• Haha (+1) 1

It is STAGGERING that a guy like Nate Peterman can survive in this league this long, and become a multi-millionaire in the process!  

My God, there is a giant dearth of Quarterback Talent out there! 

8 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

It is STAGGERING that a guy like Nate Peterman can survive in this league this long, and become a multi-millionaire in the process!  

I do think that he would not get signed anywhere else. Gruden seems to love him. I doubt any other team would have interest.

• Agree 1

14 hours ago, Aussie Joe said:

You are a hard marker Weo..

They signed McCarron  as an insurance policy after getting rid of Tyrods cap hit which I cant be bothered looking up but was excessive, and before the draft and picking JA ( which was obviously not a given)...

It was a certainty they were drafting a QB as soon as they unloaded TT.   They already had NP under a rookie contract.  Trading Taylor saved 10.44 million in cap hit.  Signing Josh and AJM cost a total of 9 million for the 2018 season.  It's also worth noting that AJM's contact was for 10 million with incentives (as a backup) up to 16 million for 2 years.  He was gone before week 1.

So, sure, we can laugh at NP getting 2.7 to be #3, but it kind of pales in comparison.  Plus throw in the fact that the  Texans gave him another 7 million for nothing the last 2 years. 

3 hours ago, MJS said:

They were expecting him to start...

who?

1 hour ago, Mr. WEO said:

It was a certainty they were drafting a QB as soon as they unloaded TT.   They already had NP under a rookie contract.  Trading Taylor saved 10.44 million in cap hit.  Signing Josh and AJM cost a total of 9 million for the 2018 season.  It's also worth noting that AJM's contact was for 10 million with incentives (as a backup) up to 16 million for 2 years.  He was gone before week 1.

The cap hit that the Browns acquired from the Bills for Taylor was $16M including a Roster bonus of $6m that was due a week or so after they traded him..

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/cleveland-browns/cap/2018/

How Beane moved him for that price and pick 65 I'll never know 

That left Peterman as their only QB on the roster..

They bought in AJM to compete before the draft with Peterman and the as yet undrafted Rookie ... they were still sitting at 12 at that stage and didnt know who they were going to get.. in hindsight we can say they got their man but Horsehead Elway should have taken Allen at 5 so who knows who the Bills may have ended up with if he goes down that road.. hopefully not trading up for Rosen to beat the Cards or reaching for Mason Rudolph...  Not sure Lamar was truly ever on their radar

So AJM comes into camp and doesnt live up to expectations so they cut bait and trade him for a 5th to Gruden .. His cap hit to the Bills was $2m in 2018 and $2m in 2019..

I can live with that...

Edited by Aussie Joe

27 minutes ago, Aussie Joe said:

The cap hit that the Browns acquired from the Bills for Taylor was $16M including a Roster bonus of $6m that was due a week or so after they traded him..

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/cleveland-browns/cap/2018/

How Beane moved him for that price and pick 65 I'll never know 

That left Peterman as their only QB on the roster..

They bought in AJM to compete before the draft with Peterman and the as yet undrafted Rookie ... they were still sitting at 12 at that stage and didnt know who they were going to get.. in hindsight we can say they got their man but Horsehead Elway should have taken Allen at 5 so who knows who the Bills may have ended up with if he goes down that road.. hopefully not trading up for Rosen to beat the Cards or reaching for Mason Rudolph...  Not sure Lamar was truly ever on their radar

So AJM comes into camp and doesnt live up to expectations so they cut bait and trade him for a 5th to Gruden .. His cap hit to the Bills was $2m in 2018 and $2m in 2019..

I can live with that...

"According to the sports contract website spotrac.com, the Bills clear $10.44 million off their salary cap with this move, but they do incur a $7.6 million dead cap hit."

a good chunk of the savings were erased by giving ALM 4.1 and Josh's guarantee---both to replace TT.  Bills got their man in Josh, but they were going to take QB.  They had to.  NP had started the year before (infamously) so at best, AJM would have been a #2, but as the offseason worked out, it became clear that the Bills were getting set on not starting Josh.

AJM is a bum who stole more money than NP ever will. 

• Haha (+1) 1

5 hours ago, SoCal Deek said:

Not exactly. First he’ll pay a boatload in taxes before it ever gets to his bank account and then he’ll pay his agent from what’s left, and then he’ll pray that his monthly budget doesn’t exceed his take home, while all the while praying he saves enough to last him for the next FIFTY years following football. 

COOL! I feel better about myself now

Signing bo

4 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

"According to the sports contract website spotrac.com, the Bills clear $10.44 million off their salary cap with this move, but they do incur a $7.6 million dead cap hit."

a good chunk of the savings were erased by giving ALM 4.1 and Josh's guarantee---both to replace TT.  Bills got their man in Josh, but they were going to take QB.  They had to.  NP had started the year before (infamously) so at best, AJM would have been a #2, but as the offseason worked out, it became clear that the Bills were getting set on not starting Josh

Signing bonus from the previous year.

They saved $16m in 2018 as you can see the Browns paid him in the link I provided which was guaranteed...

Yeah they offered him a  contract of $5n a year plus incentives... back up money 

Edited by Aussie Joe

2 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

Joe Webb and Josh Johnson are still around so....why not?

5 minutes ago, Aussie Joe said:

Signing bo

Signing bonus from the previous year.

They saved $16m in 2018 as you can see the Browns paid him in the link I provided which was guaranteed...

Yeah they offered him a  contract of $5n a year plus incentives... back up money 

not #3 money.

Expected McCarron to start??

Are you trying to revise history? Absolutely they expected him to start. They expected him to play and for Allen to sit for a year. When Peterman outplayed him in camp and preseason, they traded him away.

This is widely known and accepted. Are you trying to say that is not what happened? Nobody expected McCarron to play that season? Because that's false. People did expect him to play and start prior to the preseason.

59 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

a good chunk of the savings were erased by giving ALM 4.1 and Josh's guarantee---both to replace TT.  Bills got their man in Josh, but they were going to take QB.  They had to.  NP had started the year before (infamously) so at best, AJM would have been a #2, but as the offseason worked out, it became clear that the Bills were getting set on not starting Josh.

AJM is a bum who stole more money than NP ever will. 

That's not even remotely true. AJ was seen by everyone as being superior to Peterman and expects him to start... until the preseason games happened and he clearly did not outperform anyone.

Why would they even bring in AJ and have him take so many snaps in preseason and training camp if he was not a legitimate starting candidate?

Edited by MJS

4 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

Or you could just be a dumbass like Gruden and overpay him.

• Thank you (+1) 1

57 minutes ago, MJS said:

Are you trying to revise history? Absolutely they expected him to start. They expected him to play and for Allen to sit for a year. When Peterman outplayed him in camp and preseason, they traded him away.

This is widely known and accepted. Are you trying to say that is not what happened? Nobody expected McCarron to play that season? Because that's false. People did expect him to play and start prior to the preseason.

That's not even remotely true. AJ was seen by everyone as being superior to Peterman and expects him to start... until the preseason games happened and he clearly did not outperform anyone.

Why would they even bring in AJ and have him take so many snaps in preseason and training camp if he was not a legitimate starting candidate?

lol "so many" huh?

Preseason Game 1 (Panthers):  NP is the starter in 1st Q for 2 series.  McCarron in for 2 series.  After the half, Allen plays every snap.

Preseason game  2 (Browns):  After 3 punts in the 1st Q, AJM gets the hook.  Allen and then Peterman finish.

Preseason Game  3 (Bengals):  AJM gets zero snaps

Preseason Game  4 (scrubs only):  it's the AJM farewell show.

"Everyone" thought he was superior to NP?  Not the Bills staff, it seems.  He had 1 more career win than NP when they signed him. They brought in this bum to see if he was any better than NP.  Turns out he was worse.  It shouldn't have cost them 4.1 million to figure that out (or to realize that you start your top 10 QB pick when you have no solid vet to sit him behind.....).

lol "so many" huh?

Preseason Game 1 (Panthers):  NP is the starter in 1st Q for 2 series.  McCarron in for 2 series.  After the half, Allen plays every snap.

Preseason game  2 (Browns):  After 3 punts in the 1st Q, AJM gets the hook.  Allen and then Peterman finish.

Preseason Game  3 (Bengals):  AJM gets zero snaps

Preseason Game  4 (scrubs only):  it's the AJM farewell show.

"Everyone" thought he was superior to NP?  Not the Bills staff, it seems.  He had 1 more career win than NP when they signed him. They brought in this bum to see if he was any better than NP.  Turns out he was worse.  It shouldn't have cost them 4.1 million to figure that out (or to realize that you start your top 10 QB pick when you have no solid vet to sit him behind.....).

McCarron got injured. That's why he didn't play game 3, which he would have started and gotten significant snaps in. It was a competition and it was widely speculated that he would win that competition. He was the highest paid QB on the team. The team expected him to start.

But he didn't win the job so they shipped him off.

1 hour ago, MJS said:

McCarron got injured. That's why he didn't play game 3, which he would have started and gotten significant snaps in. It was a competition and it was widely speculated that he would win that competition. He was the highest paid QB on the team. The team expected him to start.

But he didn't win the job so they shipped him off.

He was a mess before he was injured.  After his 3 punt drives in Game 2 1st Q, the "competition" was over.  

"He was the highest paid QB on the team."  Yeah, see?  That's the funny part I was posting about.......4.1 million to confirm he's worse than Nate Peterman.

7 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

He was a mess before he was injured.  After his 3 punt drives in Game 2 1st Q, the "competition" was over.  

"He was the highest paid QB on the team."  Yeah, see?  That's the funny part I was posting about.......4.1 million to confirm he's worse than Nate Peterman.

This is a strange thing to cry about. But go ahead. Keep crying about a few million dollars spent trying to find a bridge QB 3 years ago. You usually complain about everything, so this is normal behavior.

6 minutes ago, MJS said:

This is a strange thing to cry about. But go ahead. Keep crying about a few million dollars spent trying to find a bridge QB 3 years ago. You usually complain about everything, so this is normal behavior.

If you had read through my posts, you would see that I was not crying, but laughing.

You come in with easily disproven nonsense, so you have to change the narrative.

More laughter ensues.... 

2 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

If you had read through my posts, you would see that I was not crying, but laughing.

You come in with easily disproven nonsense, so you have to change the narrative.

More laughter ensues.... 

Nope. Everything I said was accurate. You are the one trying to change history with your alternate reality.

But keep laughing. I'm happy for you.

Just now, MJS said:

Nope. Everything I said was accurate. You are the one trying to change history with your alternate reality.

But keep laughing. I'm happy for you.

Yeah,  AJM comes into camp with that career 2-1 record and looked so sweet before the injury that he really had McD's head spinning.  An embarrassment of riches at QB----competition got HEATED.   What to do??!   

Awesome stuff. 

You define "alternate" reality. 

2 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Yeah,  AJM comes into camp with that career 2-1 record and looked so sweet before the injury that he really had McD's head spinning.  An embarrassment of riches at QB----competition got HEATED.   What to do??!   

Awesome stuff. 

You define "alternate" reality. 

Your complaint is giving him a contract thinking that he was a 3rd string QB. But he wasn't signed to be a 3rd string QB. That is alternate reality conceived in your mind with no basis in fact.

He was signed to compete to start. That's a fact. Regardless of how he performed after signing the contract, he was initially signed to compete for a starting job. And Allen was supposed to sit and learn, which is a very common approach when drafting a QB.

• Like (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, MJS said:

Your complaint is giving him a contract thinking that he was a 3rd string QB. But he wasn't signed to be a 3rd string QB. That is alternate reality conceived in your mind with no basis in fact.

He was signed to compete to start. That's a fact. Regardless of how he performed after signing the contract, he was initially signed to compete for a starting job. And Allen was supposed to sit and learn, which is a very common approach when drafting a QB.

Nope.  Not when you draft a kid top 7 and you have no other real QB on the roster.  

AJM was competing for the backup job (just like NP is in LV).   He's a backup QB.  McD inexplicably chose NP to start week 1---a decision he quickly corrected at halftime when he came to his senses and made the logical move....and the rest is history.   

keep it coming though...

Any QB that thinks they have any ability (Kap) must be losing their minds.  

I would rather put a punter in at QB than let Natan see the failed.  

This makes zero sense to me 

Edited by Virgil

Nope.  Not when you draft a kid top 7 and you have no other real QB on the roster.  

AJM was competing for the backup job (just like NP is in LV).   He's a backup QB.  McD inexplicably chose NP to start week 1---a decision he quickly corrected at halftime when he came to his senses and made the logical move....and the rest is history.   

keep it coming though...

Regardless of how YOU feel about it, it is, in fact, a very common tactic to attempt to have rookies QB's sit their first year or at least multiple games of their first year.

Maybe you don't like that. But that's not relevant. Lots of coaches do that. Mahomes sat his entire first year. Coaches often try to bring along rookie QB's slowly, even those drafted in the top 10.

The plan was for Allen to sit as long as possible. And it soon became apparent that such a tactic would not be viable.

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, MJS said:

Regardless of how YOU feel about it, it is, in fact, a very common tactic to attempt to have rookies QB's sit their first year or at least multiple games of their first year.

Maybe you don't like that. But that's not relevant. Lots of coaches do that. Mahomes sat his entire first year. Coaches often try to bring along rookie QB's slowly, even those drafted in the top 10.

The plan was for Allen to sit as long as possible. And it soon became apparent that such a tactic would not be viable.

11 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

You're joking now, right? 

We've covered this already (see above).  Mahomes sat for a year....behind Alex Smith , who had gone to a SB with SF and won 50 games and was a 3 time Pro Bowler for the Chiefs!  

AJM was an inexperienced backup who had 3 starts where he completed only 79 passes in Cincy.

Allen in his rookie season, sat for a total of 30 minutes until, for McD, it "became apparent that such a tactic would not be viable."

• Eyeroll 1

12 hours ago, MJS said:

No question—NP legit earned his Baltimore starting spot because he was better, plain and simple, during camp and preseason. The implosion came in the reg season, not a minute earlier. 
https://www.democratandchronicle.com/story/sports/football/nfl/bills/2018/09/03/nathan-peterman-buffalo-bills-starting-quarterback-josh-allen-baltimore-ravens/1185281002/

14 hours ago, Virgil said:

Any QB that things they have any ability (Kap) must be losing their minds.  

I would rather put a punter in at QB than let Natan see the failed.  

This makes zero sense to me 

"Catnip for Coaches on the Whiteboard" is all I can figure

Either that, or naughty pictures of the offensive staff.