Do you like the term “Bills Mafia”?

Lionel Hutz

Bills Mafia   

394 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like using the term Bills Mafia?

• Yes
    • No

13 hours ago, eball said:

I love it for the following reasons:

1. It was organic.  No marketing team came up with this, it originated as a group of Bills fans “united” against a reporter.
  2. It symbolizes family sticking up for one another.
  3. It’s ours.  We always heard about how “Bills fans are the best” but this puts a name to it no one else can copy.
  4. The players LOVE it and have fully embraced it.

This, 100 percent, and esp #1...it isn't astroturf, team marketing bs. Fans came up with it.

Further: it's not, say, Grantland Rice with "Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse". Great use of phrase, but it's still a reporter--not fans--coining the term.

Besides, how'd you like to be known as "The Flock"?

Hell, next year Ravens PR will push their fan base as "Band of the Black Hand"* or something similarly pathetic.

* For the sensitive, I don't mean this racially but as a synonym for Mafia, big gang, etc.

I hate it.

It has always made me think of the "Trenchcoat Mafia". That being the gang of misfits at Columbine High School in Colorado, two of whom decided to gun down their classmates, emboldening many imitators and kicking off a disgusting trend of school shootings across the US. To me, adding 'mafia' to your club name is all about trying to look tough when you're really just a tool. It's the epitomy of douchism.

• Vomit 1
  • Eyeroll 2
  • Disagree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, BITE ME said:

I am not thrilled with the name or the Bills Mafia merchandise, but to each his own.  If you are a Bills fan shouldn't you be buying Bills Merchandise, not Bills Mafia merchandise?

Please explain why Bills fans should buy Bills Merchandise and not Bills Mafia merchandise.

I am curious if anyone is buying this new line of Bills Mafia merchandise.  Is it me, or shouldn't people just be buying Bills Merchandise?  

Everywhere I go in the country people yell Go Bills at me if I have Bills gear on.  I wonder if Bills Mafia gear is going to get the same response  Aren't non sports fans going to be a little curious why people are wearing stuff with MAFIA on it.  

If you are buying it, to each his own.  I just don't get it.

3 minutes ago, Gugny said:

Please explain why Bills fans should buy Bills Merchandise and not Bills Mafia merchandise.

The term Mafia is a little odd to non sports fans.  The Mafia is not exactly a good term to average people.

Edited by BITE ME
  • Eyeroll 1

2 minutes ago, BITE ME said:

I am curious if anyone is buying this new line of Bills Mafia merchandise.  Is it me, or shouldn't people just be buying Bills Merchandise?  

Everywhere I go in the country people yell Go Bills at me if I have Bills gear on.  I wonder if Bills Mafia gear is going to get the same response  Aren't non sports fans going to be a little curious why people are wearing stuff with MAFIA on it.  

I started a thread on this.  90 percent of people do not even know what Bills Mafia is.  I am not sure I want the city of Buffalo and the word Mafia tied together. Unless you are a football fan is seems pretty odd.

You don't have to create a thread every time you have a shower thought.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, BITE ME said:

The term Mafia is a little odd to non sports fans.  The Mafia is not exactly a good term to average people.

How does this answer his question?

41 minutes ago, BITE ME said:

I am relatively sure that no one will assume you are supporting organized crime, even if they are unfamiliar with the sports reference. 

I don't really like the Bills mafia merchandising with the "Godfather" fonts and designs that the Bills use.   That's too literal.........and more likely to be offensive to those most sensitive to sharing a name with a term otherwise associated with organized crime.   This logo is nice and simple and to the point without being gangster-ized.   I am sure the NFL wouldn't like incorporating the logo directly like that but it's pretty sweet.

image.png.1ffbce3a6695df94173185c2929d473c.png