Ages of the QB's still in the playoffs

tomur67

There's a big difference of ages of the remaining playoff QB's between the AFC and the NFC.  Baker Mayfield is the oldest AFC QB in the group. He and Mahomes are 25.  Josh and Lamar are both 24, with Lamar just turning 24, the youngest of the group.  On the NFC side, Goff is the youngest at 26, Rodgers next at 37, Brees at 42 and Brady 43.  What a difference.   When Brady was playing his first NFL game, Lamar was 3 and Josh was 4.  I'm wondering if this difference in ages of contending QB's between the 2 leagues is telling something or is it just a coincidence.

It shows that more AFC teams are hitting on their QBs. I think Rodgers and Brees are amazing and actually find Brady far less annoying now that he’s not in New England any more, but those 3 shouldn’t be leading their conferences any more. 1 that’s fine, 2 maybe, but not all 3

• Like (+1) 1

Well considering that Brady was in the AFC last year, I think this is just coincidence.  A few years ago it was Manning, Brady, Big Ben in the post-season for AFC and young guns like Russel Wilson and Goff representing the NFC.  Not sure it really has to do with any certain Conference.  

All 4 AFC QBs became starters in 2018.  3 from the class of 2018 & Mahomes from 2017 who was redshirted his rookie year.  

Looking back, the 2018 QB class was as advertised, just like 2004 and 1983.  Each produced 3 franchise QBs.  Just like 1983, the 2nd & 4th QBs weren't much and the QB taken near or at the end of the 1st round turned out to have the most early success.  

16 minutes ago, BITE ME said:

It is a coincidence but experience does matter.

Super Bowl Wins

Old Guys 8  Young Guys 1

Where did you get your data from?  This makes no sense.  Name them. 

Edited by Albany,n.y.

It's kind of strange that all the top guys keep going to AFC teams... and same this year with Lawrence and Fields likely going to AFC teams.  The NFC has 3 great old vets and a bunch of decent yet middling QB's like Ryan, Stafford and Bridgewater, etc..

9 minutes ago, Penfield45 said:

allen doesn’t strike me as a QB that will play into his late 30’s 

I’d say 10-12 years 

look at what’s happening to Ben. 

Ben is 38 

Josh is 24

That's 14 years difference, so if they have the same longevity, Josh Allen will be playing a home playoff game in 2035. 

Ben has also taken a.... relaxed approach to fitness, shall we say. 

No reason at all that Allen won't still be playing at Ben's age, which as I mentioned, would be in 2035. 

A lot of people have been taking about the QB age differential.

If it works out that Allen faces Rodgers, for example, you know all the discussion will be old vs. new and the "changing of the guard" and so on.

It's in an interesting dichotomy in that the younger guys clearly have the raw athletic advantage, but the old guys have the experience advantage.

The team with the better QB performance on SB Sunday will probably win, and it could be any of these guys, old or young.

55 minutes ago, BITE ME said:

Super Bowl Wins

Old Guys 8  Young Guys 1

Of course experience is a big factor BUT lets look at your "Old Guys" facts.

Big Ben won 2 Super Bowls with his last win in 2008.  12 Years ago!

Drew Brees won 1 Super Bowl in 2009.  11 Years ago!

Aaron Rodgers won 1 Super Bowl in 2010.  10 Years ago!

None of the above have won a SB in the last 10 years.  That's 30 SBs NOT won by these QBs.

Then there is Tom Brady who has won 6 SBs and it's not worth talking about his run.

Tom Brady (I hate to say) has the recent experience of winning that is a bigger threat over all the "old guy" QBs.

Your point is made but you should "edit" your post and put 10 SB wins versus 8 that you have.

Crazy as it sounds Big Ben has as many rings as Brees and Rogers combined, plus he went to another SB (lost to Rogers Packers).

Just now, The Jokeman said:

Fixed it for you. Brees likely hangs it up after season. 

I hope so... He looks like I had hoped Brady would look.

Brees has no arm left at this point. 

1 hour ago, TheFunPolice said:

Ben is 38 

Josh is 24

That's 14 years difference, so if they have the same longevity, Josh Allen will be playing a home playoff game in 2035. 

Ben has also taken a.... relaxed approach to fitness, shall we say. 

No reason at all that Allen won't still be playing at Ben's age, which as I mentioned, would be in 2035. 

No!!!  You don't say!!!  If he speant more time working out and less time being a bar predator he would have probably added a few more years to his odometer like Brady and Brees.........yeah old Ben Rapelisberger.....

5 hours ago, Penfield45 said:

allen doesn’t strike me as a QB that will play into his late 30’s 

I’d say 10-12 years 

look at what’s happening to Ben. 

Ben also doesn’t train or lift weights or work out.

Jay Glazer, who is never wrong, said Ben’s idea of a great offseason workout program is a yoga session, golf and beer.

Allen is going to run less as his career goes on. No reason he couldn’t get there.

6 hours ago, tomur67 said:

There's a big difference of ages of the remaining playoff QB's between the AFC and the NFC.  Baker Mayfield is the oldest AFC QB in the group. He and Mahomes are 25.  Josh and Lamar are both 24, with Lamar just turning 24, the youngest of the group.  On the NFC side, Goff is the youngest at 26, Rodgers next at 37, Brees at 42 and Brady 43.  What a difference.   When Brady was playing his first NFL game, Lamar was 3 and Josh was 4.  I'm wondering if this difference in ages of contending QB's between the 2 leagues is telling something or is it just a coincidence.

Essentially teams built around rookie contracts and then those putting all their chips in at the end of a vets career. And then Rodgers. 

the chiefs and rams are just at the cusp of really having to peel back some luxury contracts. 

6 hours ago, BITE ME said:

Super Bowl Wins

Old Guys 8  Young Guys 1

Well the old guys have a lot more chances.   I'll bet the young guys still alive in this year's playoff end up with at least 8 combined before they're done

One thing that concerns me - MOST of these good young guns are in the AFC. And there is a good chance that Lawrence & Fields will be joining them there.

The QB talent in the NFC is really waning.  Wilson is obviously great, but after him, there is a pretty big drop-off once Rodgers, Brees and Brady retire...