Jordan Phillips and Shaq Lawson

TroutDog

There were plenty of fans that agreed with letting them walk. And I can't think of anyone who called him stupid for letting them walk. Yeah, some wanted Beane to keep them, but especially after seeing the contracts that they got, most fans agreed that they were not worth keeping if that was the price tag.

19 minutes ago, MJS said:

There were plenty of fans that agreed with letting them walk. And I can't think of anyone who called him stupid for letting them walk. Yeah, some wanted Beane to keep them, but especially after seeing the contracts that they got, most fans agreed that they were not worth keeping if that was the price tag.

There have literally been many multiple people here who, during the beginning of the year when out D was poor, that were calling Beane a dolt for letting them walk. If you didn’t see that, no worries...doesn’t change the fact that it took place. 

I’m not digging through post game posts as I operate on an iPad. That, however, does not change reality. 

This thread is amazing.  

Stevie Johnson was a 7th round pick and somehow was able to beat one of the great CBs of his generation on a consistent basis.  And he was a loser?  First Bill to ever have 3 1000 yard seasons in a row - not Reed or Moulds.  Had a 1000 yard season the year after signing his big contract.  Hardly took his money and quit. The next season he had EJ Manuel as QB

Beane is the same guy that signed a guy that quit at halftime.  They all make mistakes.

Facts are a terrible thing...

• Thank you (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, TroutDog said:

There have literally been many multiple people here who, during the beginning of the year when out D was poor, that were calling Beane a dolt for letting them walk. If you didn’t see that, no worries...doesn’t change the fact that it took place. 

I’m not digging through post game posts as I operate on an iPad. That, however, does not change reality. 

There are many bad takes put forth on the board, need to be sure in your own analysis and not worry about the bad takes.

And I would still pass on Josh Norman and AJ Klein and have tried to work something out with Phillips. 

Just now, Jpsredemption said:

And I would still pass on Josh Norman and AJ Klein and have tried to work something out with Phillips. 

And throw Addison in there as well. 

52 minutes ago, FireChans said:

It’s the kind of team building strategy that helps you build a team without glaring weakness. But it’s a team building strategy that’s becomes much harder to execute once you start paying cornerstones.

Is there a "team building strategy" that doesn't become harder when you have to pay cornerstones? 

6 minutes ago, jeremy2020 said:

Is there a "team building strategy" that doesn't become harder when you have to pay cornerstones? 

Haha fair point. But I would say that we have yet to see Beane operate when the belt gets tighter.

Spending $30M on a JAG level player like Addison to shore up a spot is a luxury we soon will not be able to afford.

3 hours ago, TroutDog said:

There were many TBD GM’s who commented on Beane’s stupidity to let them both walk. Hmmmmmm. 

Shaq was non-existent on the field in their last game (literally ZERO stats) and Phillips has a TOTAL of ten tackles, an assist and two sacks. https://www.nfl.com/players/jordan-phillips/stats/career

Looking at reality, who was right, Beane or the individuals who called these decisions poor? For me it is fairly clear that Beane was. 

With that being said, the defenses around the NFL were hung out to dry this year with no time to gel. That is why I hate what the NFLPA arguing for not having any preseason work: the play on the field was, definitively, less than what we have come to expect from a defensive standpoint. 

Anyway, I digress. Thoughts on letting those two go?

Phillips had one good year,got paid and became invisible. Beane knew he wasn't worth the fortune it required. The Jefferson/Butler and Addison replacements were more than adequate. Shaq was hurt the last few weeks but he produced to help them have a turnaround. He wanted a huge contract and Beane felt he could live without him. I can't disagree. All in all our defense is feisty and with the emergence of a fresh Milano, we can control games, especially when we have leads.

49 minutes ago, Ethan in Portland said:

This thread is amazing.  

Stevie Johnson was a 7th round pick and somehow was able to beat one of the great CBs of his generation on a consistent basis.  And he was a loser?  First Bill to ever have 3 1000 yard seasons in a row - not Reed or Moulds.  Had a 1000 yard season the year after signing his big contract.  Hardly took his money and quit. The next season he had EJ Manuel as QB

Beane is the same guy that signed a guy that quit at halftime.  They all make mistakes.

Facts are a terrible thing...

Stevie wasn't a loser.  But he would knowingly commit 15 yard penalties by doing celebrations that entertained him.  I'm not sure he would fit in on this current squad.

I wanted shaq to get his 5th year option picked up, I think he had more room to grow here. I wouldn’t of been ok with what Miami gave him but I would of paid the 5th year. Phillips I was ok leaving. I don’t think he was as good as many believed here. 

1 hour ago, DabillsDaBillsDaBills said:

My problem wasn't with letting Phillips and Lawson walk. They're pretty good role players, but not stars.  

My problem was trying to replace them with Addison and Butler. Addison has been a pretty big disappointment for a 3 year 30 mil contract. 

It’s really a 1 year deal.  They can get out easily after this year which they will