What if the Bills hired Frank Reich instead of Rex?

Draconator

What if Frank was hired instead of Rex? What would the Bills look like?

Who would be the QB (Josh or someone else?)

Would Whaley still be the GM? (On second thought, no)

Don't get me wrong, I'm thrilled we went in the direction the Bills did, because if you compare the Colts today with the Bills today, the Colts are a perennial playoff team, while the Bills are knocking on the door of a perennial Super Bowl team.  A lot of "what ifs".

With us playing the Colts, might be fun to have at it.

Edited by Draconator
  • Like (+1) 2

Who cares...we just finished 13-3 and have completely dismantled everybody we've played the last 9 weeks and are heading into the playoffs as a legitimate Super Bowl contender.  There's no need to play these fantasy games anymore...this Bills team is the fantasy!

• Like (+1) 5

It didn’t happen so we’ll never know. It certainly would have been a better hire than Rex. 

Having said that, I would not change a thing! I am VERY happy with McD, his staff and the FO.  Putting up with Rex briefly was worth the feeling our guys give me now. 

• Like (+1) 3

In terms of how things have panned out, with Frank looking like a solid choice for the Colts, it might have been very interesting indeed.

Especially if Schwartz had stayed as DC.

Think about that one - they were the OC and DC of the Eagles when they won the Superbowl.

At a guess, I'd say that Frank would have got Whaley to draft either Watson or Mahomes. With Terry Pegula in the Mahomes camp at the time, it may well have been him, especially if he didn't have a problem working with Whaley, and tbh, I would guess (again, I know) that Frank wouldn't have been too stressed about having Whaley as GM.

No idea where that would have taken us, but I think we would probably be still looking like a playoff team.

As the OP says, where we are now, is thrilling, but as 'what if' scenarios go, it's one of the more entertaining ones to mull over, when there's nothing better to do.

Who knows?  When Reich was a player I thought he'd be Bills HC some day, but it never worked out. I was surprised he didn't go right into coaching after his playing days.  It's probably better he didn't because when the Bills were changing coaches every few seasons he might have gotten the Bills job & it would have been really tough to fire such a popular man in Buffalo, especially with guys like Brandon, Nix & Whaley making personnel decisions that would have doomed him here.  Of players now in the NFL, I expect Frank Gore to be a head coach one day.  In fact, I was surprised the Jets didn't fire Gase earlier &  name Gore coach during this season.  I guess the NFL isn't like the NBA where the guy is playing one season & the next one he's a head coach with no coaching experience.  

3 minutes ago, ndirish1978 said:

Now that we're good again can we please stop with these daydream what if scenarios? All roads led us here with a legit QB and solid team that plays for each other. 

Did you even read the post within, or did you just judge a book by its cover?

Yes, I read all 6 lines. It's the same what if scenario post that we used to see all the time when we stunk ie "what if we traded up and got Big Ben instead of JP Losman" except this one posits it would be fun to speculate if we would still be good. We would be different, no way to know how. Most likely worse, since the very specific combination of things that lead to a good QB can't be predicted. Maybe if we drafted Mahomes he wouldn't have been all world because the system-coach-coordinator marriage wasn't the perfect combo that led him to being what it is. These threads are an exercise in futility.

35 minutes ago, SageAgainstTheMachine said:

By all accounts he's a great coach.  Just doesn't have a SB contender right now after getting incredibly screwed by the QB situation.

He just won more games in a season with Rivers than he did with Luck.

We would be the Colts most likely, Glad it didn’t happen, but that’s just me I suppose.

Go Bills!!!

I have no problem with the original post.  I have often wondered the same thing.  I believe that if the Bills had hired Reich, he'd still be the coach and the Bills would still be a playoff team.  Whether they would be a Super Bowl contender would depend on whether the team had been able to acquire a franchise QB, as the current Bills team has done.  Reich, as offensive coordinator, won a Super Bowl with Nick Foles!  He also got very good play out of Carson Wentz before he got injured.  He's also won games with Jacoby Brissett and an old, immobile Phillip Rivers.  The guy is a clearly an excellent coach.  That aside, and despite the years of disarray leading up to the current regime, the Bills are in fantastic hands, both in the coaching staff and the front office.  I wouldn't trade our current regime for any other.  I'm a big Frank Reich fan and wish him well, except when he's playing against the Bills.

Edited by msw2112

Sometimes, what seems to be a mistake turns out to be a blessing. As an undergrad in college, I had a choice between two courses. My advisor recommended one, but I chose the other. Two years later, when I got to grad school, I found out that I needed the course I didn't take, which forced me to spend four semesters getting my master's instead of three. Had I graduated in three semesters, I'd have gotten a job and moved away from my home town five months before the date on which I met this really cool chick. She's now my wife. I don't know what would have happened if I had gone down the other path, but I can't imagine I'd be in a better situation than I'm in now.

For the Bills, Rex was the course they shouldn't have taken. It set us back a couple of years, but at this point, I can't imagine it turning out better than it has so far.

Edited by WhoTom
  • Like (+1) 1

45 minutes ago, Giuseppe Tognarelli said:

Right, because we must stay focused and there is no time at all for other fun and interesting discussions!

Here's a fun and interesting discussion...

If Reich starts and finishes a Superbowl with the Bills do we win?  

Doesn't matter, does it.....

3 hours ago, Draconator said:

What if Frank was hired instead of Rex? What would the Bills look like?

Who would be the QB (Josh or someone else?)

Would Whaley still be the GM? (On second thought, no)

Don't get me wrong, I'm thrilled we went in the direction the Bills did, because if you compare the Colts today with the Bills today, the Colts are a perennial playoff team, while the Bills are knocking on the door of a perennial Super Bowl team.  A lot of "what ifs".

With us playing the Colts, might be fun to have at it.

I like these questions and feel it’s an interesting idea.  IMO I’m not sure whether Reich was really ready to be a HC in 2015.  He had one year experience as an OC in San Diego under Mike McCoy who likely had a big say in the offense/playcalling.  That team finished 9-7.

I think Reich learned a lot about being a HC from working Doug Pederson in Philly.  So the Reich you got in 2015 was probably different from the one Indy hired in 2018.

Still it’s hard to say because of the QB position.  We have no idea what Reich/Whaley would do at QB.  I’m guessing they probably don’t bring in Tyrod who Rex advocated for.

Does Reich try to resurrect EJ Manuel, roll with Matt Cassell, or try to sign or draft another QB?  

If it’s the former, I see Reich lasting about as long as Rex did.  

1 hour ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Depends who the GM would be. So much of our current success is thanks to Beane.

Also we have no clue who would be the QB under the Reich-led Bills

3 hours ago, JohnNord said:

Still it’s hard to say because of the QB position.  We have no idea what Reich/Whaley would do at QB.  I’m guessing they probably don’t bring in Tyrod who Rex advocated for.

Does Reich try to resurrect EJ Manuel, roll with Matt Cassell, or try to sign or draft another QB?  

If it’s the former, I see Reich lasting about as long as Rex did.  

Also we have no clue who would be the QB under the Reich-led Bills

OK, I'll bite. I'm going to assume that:

- Kyle Orton would've retired after 2014 even if Reich had come in as QB

- Reich would've move on from EJ since he's probably a good enough evaluator of QB talent

I looked back at the 2015 QB free agent class. It could be the worst in the free agency era. Jake Locker was the top rated one. He retired. Tyrod turned out to be the best and he was an afterthought. Others available: the likes of Jake McCown, Matt Schaub, TJ Yates, Blaine Gabbert. So I'll have to assume Reich would've done the sign a veteran (Schaub, or trade for Cassell as they did under Whaley/Rex; Tyrod wouldn't likely have fit his offense) and draft a successor strategy. Thanks to the Sammy trade, the Bills first pick was 50 overall (Ronald Darby). The best QBs on the board were Garrett Grayson and Sean Mannion. So ...

- Schaub/Cassell would've started 6 or 8 games and sucked. Grayson or Mannion would've started the rest and sucked worse.

- He might've been able to keep Schwartz as D coordinator, so the defensive collapse wouldn't have happened

- Worse offense (you can do worse a lot worse than Tyrod), better defense = the same 8-8.

- Back to the draft. You go QB again. This time the top rated QB on the board at 19 overall is Paxton Lynch. Maybe Reich is really smart and trades down to get Dak. But I think Paxton Lynch is his kind of guy (hey, I'll admit I liked him coming out of college).

So ... Paxton is an immediate bust too.

SCENARIO A: Reich is fired as the team is heading in the wrong direction. They go looking for a new GM and coach. They hire Beane and McDermott ahead of the 2017 season, and ... well, we know the rest of that story

SCENARIO B: Reich gets a Bills Legend courtesy Year 3. And he goes right back to the QB draft, still looking for the guy. And two possibilities are on the board with the 10th overall pick. Mahomes and Watson ...

Either way, we win a Super Bowl in 2021. (Or 2022 at the latest)

Edited by The Frankish Reich