Report: SF to move on from Jimmy G

YoloinOhio

1 hour ago, MJS said:

Time will tell if he is right or wrong. Good QB's can be VERY difficult to find. Jimmy G is good. He isn't elite. He's in the Tannehill category.

I think it’s a separate question if he should have let him go or if he let go a really good QB.   Jimmy G plays intelligently and is mobile.  He’s a solid starting QB but I don’t think he is top 15.  I think he’s in that 16-20 range which is solid.

2 hours ago, Coach Tuesday said:

Jimmy G back to NE, Darnold to SF, Stafford to TB?

2 hours ago, klos63 said:

They're going to have to pay a bit. Not going to get a $1MM Cam like deal.

Do you think Brady will be gone?

Yeah, I don't see that at all. At least Brady would not leave. Not with Tampa Bay scheduled to play New England in Foxboro next season.

Is there any chance the Buccaneers outright cut Brady?

2 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

Bring him in as a backup 

Coming out of a huge contract like that, he's not going to sign anywhere with an established starter.

2 hours ago, Coach Tuesday said:

Jimmy G back to NE, Darnold to SF, Stafford to TB?

I thought Brady was on a two year, fully guaranteed deal?

Really good player, massive availability issue. 22-8, efficient passer until it's 30 starts in 4 years. Starting QB is the position where you have to have someone that can play 16. The issue is that the player to replace him isn't on the roster.

49ers strike me as a team that that could do the Wentz reclamation project.

58 minutes ago, Mark Vader said:

Yeah, I don't see that at all. At least Brady would not leave. Not with Tampa Bay scheduled to play New England in Foxboro next season.

Is there any chance the Buccaneers outright cut Brady?

Not the way he's playing right now. He's getting hot just in time for the playoffs. Why would they even consider it?

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, ProcessAccepted said:

Brady is gone so he'd probably like the QB room a lot more. NE has the $$ to bring in talent to put around him. I think this is quite a likely outcome.

Yeah but they need to spend it.  And there isn't much talent at the skill positions in FA next year.

35 minutes ago, peterpan said:

He will be in NE by March.  

Stupid move by the 9ers. 

Not necessarily.  They might be able to get a draft pick out of it.

3 hours ago, Doc said:

This would’ve been my reply. 

I doubt they’ll still want to pay that.

and I would’ve told you I never said he’d be the qb of the future. 

do you remember how many terrible retreads we brought in waiting for our guy?

2 minutes ago, Doc said:

They'd take a massive cap hit.

The Falcons might be in total tear down though and as Beane showed in 2018 here if you are going to do that you can bear a single year of horrible cap hit. Might not make sense for Atlanta we will see.... but if he becomes available that is where San Fran look.

5 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

and I would’ve told you I never said he’d be the qb of the future. 

do you remember how many terrible retreads we brought in waiting for our guy?

OK.  But what's the point of bringing him in if he's not the QB of the future for them?  What is his incentive to sign if they're not paying him big bucks and committing to him as the QB of the future?

3 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

The Falcons might be in total tear down though and as Beane showed in 2018 here if you are going to do that you can bear a single year of horrible cap hit. Might not make sense for Atlanta we will see.... but if he becomes available that is where San Fran look.

Anything is possible.  But a $50M cap hit, even spread out over 2 years, is gigantic.

Edited by Doc

12 minutes ago, Doc said:

OK.  But what's the point of bringing him in if he's not the QB of the future for them?  What is his incentive to sign if they're not paying him big bucks and committing to him as the QB of the future?

Anything is possible.  But a $50M cap hit, even spread out over 2 years, is gigantic.

what was the point of us bringing in Orton? or kolb? Or cassel? 

It’s a safe vet floor for them til they have a young guy that can step up. 

he will be unlikely to get a large dollar long term commitment. He will possibly get low end starter money with year to year structure. Or I think likely much like cam, dalton, Winston, etc... take less to try to go to the right situation during the cap dip and hope to earn a payday later 

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, NoSaint said:

what was the point of us bringing in Orton? or kolb? Or cassel? 

It’s a safe vet floor for them til they have a young guy that can step up. 

he will be unlikely to get a large dollar long term commitment. He will possibly get low end starter money with year to year structure. Or I think likely much like cam, dalton, Winston, etc... take less to try to go to the right situation during the cap dip and hope to earn a payday later 

Competition for a young QB, possibly mentoring.  But they were all cheap, unlike what Jimmy G will be.  He's not going to sign with the Cheaters, or anyone else, for a 1 or 2 year cheap deal.  Especially if he has other suitors, and he likely will.

Edited by Doc

8 hours ago, IBTG81 said:

I wonder if he’s going to head back to NE. 

I’m thinking once a player leaves NE do they even want to go back... it doesn’t seem so, as well consider they will be  in a partial or larger rebuild, with no real offensive weapons on the roster to speak of... that and BB is not known for his drafting  skills from what I’ve read here. 

• Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, IBTG81 said:

I wonder if he’s going to head back to NE. 

That would be fine w me.  Would mean the Bills will have the better QB for the foreseeable future.  Of course that’s probably true no matter who NE will have a chance to sign.

9 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

Looks like a creditable report.

But I'll believe it when I see it.

7 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I think you will see it. San Fran are moving on IMO.

I just don’t know - seems like you would want a definite answer at the position before this happens.

I could see it - if somehow they can get Ryan or Stafford in place first, but even though Jimmy G is not a great QB - they win with him.  I am not sure they are a better team with Ryan at QB.  

I definitely think this makes for a very interesting off-season for some of these teams - QB trades and cuts, lots of potential movement.  This could get fun if the salary cap allows it.