The "Giving Him the Business" game.

njbuff

That's one of my two favorite referee calls. The other was when a center forgot the snap count and the whole team, except him, started to go. The ref said, "False start, offense ... everyone but the center."

Edited by WhoTom
  • Haha (+1) 5
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Well, if you don’t want to see all 24 minutes, here is the abridged version.  

Thanks for sharing as is a classic.  I was a Senior in HS.

Thanks buff.

5 minutes ago, WhoTom said:

That's one of my two favorite referee calls. The other was when a center forgot the snap count and the whole team, except him, false started. The ref said, "False start, offense ... everyone but the center."

Tom, I think I remember that but share the vid clip fro YouTube.  That will get a chuckle.  What the heck, it’s the holidays.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

14 minutes ago, machine gun kelly said:

Tom, I think I remember that but share the vid clip fro YouTube.  That will get a chuckle.  What the heck, it’s the holidays.

It's happened several times:

• Haha (+1) 2

Also the season where the Jets started out 10-1, then got blown out by the Dolphins, and then.........

Paul Maguire makes his epic prediction that the Jets wouldn't win another regular season game the rest of the season, and he was correct.

Josh Allen would have started bench pressing Marty Lyons and then picked him up and threw him out of Giants Stadium....from the field over the upper deck.

44 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

I remember watching that game!  I was 15 years old.

I turn 50 in a couple of weeks.

Happy 50th early!

• Like (+1) 1

I was at that game.  Back in those days, before the internet, the Jets would have a day before the season started when they would put scattered seat tickets on sale at their offices in Manhattan. None of the available seats were next to each other, but I could get seats back to back like same section, row 12 seat 14, & row 13 seat 14.  If we got lucky we could find 2 empty seats next to each other in the area & move there.  I took time off from work (I was living & working in Long Island at the time) to go to the Jets offices & was able to get seats in back to back rows.  The thing I most remember about buying seats was the ridiculous price I had to pay to park in a parking garage near the Jets offices.  A little over a year later I moved to Albany after the 1987 season ( I attended the 1987 season finale in Philadelphia where I was able to get Eagles tickets at the mall in LI) and then for a while I didn't get Jets game seats.  In 1990 the Jets moved their offices to Long Island and sold the scattered seats at Hofstra University.  I didn't go to any Jets home games in 1990 or 1991.  In 1992 I had my father, who lived about 10-15 minutes away from Hofstra, get me Jets tickets to Bills games.  He'd bring a portable chair & sit while he waited on line for the tickets.  We did this for a few years until I either took a bus trip to Jets games or got tickets on the internet & drove down from Albany.  

• Like (+1) 1

Thanks for the video.  I jumped to the "givin' him the business" line, but then settled in to watch the whole thing.  Two observations:

1) Wow.  Fans in stands.  Brings back memories.

2) Not meaning to sound snarky, but it's weird to ever think of the Jets as being a good team.

4 minutes ago, Albany,n.y. said:

I was at that game.  Back in those days, before the internet, the Jets would have a day before the season started when they would put scattered seat tickets on sale at their offices in Manhattan. None of the available seats were next to each other, but I could get seats back to back like same section, row 12 seat 14, & row 13 seat 14.  If we got lucky we could find 2 empty seats next to each other in the area & move there.  I took time off from work (I was living & working in Long Island at the time) to go to the Jets offices & was able to get seats in back to back rows.  The thing I most remember about buying seats was the ridiculous price I had to pay to park in a parking garage near the Jets offices.  A little over a year later I moved to Albany after the 1987 season ( I attended the 1987 season finale in Philadelphia where I was able to get Eagles tickets at the mall in LI) and then for a while I didn't get Jets game seats.  In 1990 the Jets moved their offices to Long Island and sold the scattered seats at Hofstra University.  I didn't go to any Jets home games in 1990 or 1991.  In 1992 I had my father, who lived about 10-15 minutes away from Hofstra, get me Jets tickets to Bills games.  He'd bring a portable chair & sit while he waited on line for the tickets.  We did this for a few years until I either took a bus trip to Jets games or got tickets on the internet & drove down from Albany.  

I was at every Bills-Jets games at the Meadowlands from 1988-93, then stopped going. 

Stopped going in 1994 because I always got harassed there for rooting for my Bills, plus the traffic getting out really pissed me off. 🤮

2 hours ago, Freddie's Dead said:

Raise your hand if you remember Ricky Moore as a Bills RB.  Ben Dreith was a one-of-a-kind ref.  Red Cashin was the only one close with that signature "first dahhhhhnnnnnnn" call.  The NFL put a stop to that, so now all refs are vanilla.

Freddie, Red was my favorite old school ref.  Loved that guy.

• Thank you (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, njbuff said:

I was at every Bills-Jets games at the Meadowlands from 1988-93, then stopped going. 

Stopped going in 1994 because I always got harassed there for rooting for my Bills, plus the traffic getting out really pissed me off. 🤮

I forgot in my post that there was a time when one of the guys at work had Jets season tickets & would sell the Bills game to me.  The best part about his seats were they were in the 2nd to last row of the stadium and right behind his seats was an empty space where a security guard was there throughout the game.  Never got hassled while in those seats.  Most of the time I've never had a problem at the Meadowlands stadiums.  So far never at MetLife.  The best way to park was at the old stadium I'd get there early & park as close as possible to the stadium entrance.  Nowadays, I don't think I can park that close to the stadium and the best parking for me is near the racetrack where I can make a quick exit to Patterson Plank road back to Rt 17 north.  Last year I went to the 1st two games since the Bills played in both.  The Jets was a bus trip & the Giants was with my friend Petrino who drove the final miles from his place in Beacon.  Parking at the Giants game was brutal because we got there when the lot was already packed.  We waited until the lots were empty before we left. Later in the season I went to a Giants/Vikings game & stayed overnight in NJ so I could get there early & get a spot close to the exit.  

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Freddie's Dead said:

Raise your hand if you remember Ricky Moore as a Bills RB.  Ben Dreith was a one-of-a-kind ref.  Red Cashin was the only one close with that signature "first dahhhhhnnnnnnn" call.  The NFL put a stop to that, so now all refs are vanilla.

They're not even buff anymore

120A2CCA-84E9-4938-85FA-3BC5110BEB43.jpe