Super Bowl ticket prices. What would you pay?

BITE ME

I deeply regret not going to ONE of the four Superbowls. Financially, I realistically, probably, most likely couldn't have afforded it anyways!! But, damn, I wish I had the experience for at least one. 

I've waiting a long time to see the Bills finally rise again. Now, I'm better off financially and would likely try to get tickets. But, someone mentioned $5K above? I think my limit would be at max, $2,500. Anything more, well, my 55" OLED TV does look!!

I've been to 6 Super Bowls.  Here are the costs. We won 2 Bills lotteries. I last updated the spreadsheet in 2019

Year Transportation Car Rental Ticket Lodging Misc Parking Total Inflation  Adj to early 2016 $ ADJ to 2019 Notes            
1991 $158.00 $83.73 $1,165.00 $60.00 $50.00 $0.00 $1,516.73 1.75 $2,654.28 $2,783.81 Lodging is for 2 motel nights in Orlando, ticket is Disney Package  
1992 $919.00 $0.00 $150.00 $0.00 $50.00 $0.00 $1,119.00 1.7 $1,902.30 $1,995.13 Transportation and lodging grouped, includes $779 for flight/motel  
1993 $344.50 $52.08 $175.00 $64.42 $100.00 $10.00 $736.00 1.65 $1,214.40 $1,273.66 Lodging & Car Rental represents half total cost.      
1994 $60.00 $0.00 $1,248.00 $0.00 $150.00 $0.00 $1,458.00 1.61 $2,347.38 $2,461.93 Ticket includes lodging & flight, transportation includes est. railroad cost to Buffalo
2014 $60.00 $0.00 $1,857.50 $114.99 $125.00 $105.00 $2,157.49 1.02 $2,200.64 $2,308.03 Transportation is for gas & tolls to drive to game    
2016 $395.00 $0.00 $4,726.20 $0.00 $125.00 $20.00 $5,246.20 1 $5,246.20 $5,502.21 Parking is shuttle to & from Fremont      
                  $15,565.20 $16,324.78              
                AVE $3,113.04 $3,264.96              
Edited by Albany,n.y.

54 minutes ago, Seasons1992 said:

You paid $50 BELOW face value to go to one of the best SB's ever..........amazing.

And for those wondering, I went to my authentic game program from that day to see how much they cost. "So what?" you may say........

Guess who was the halftime entertainment? Don't look it up, just guess.

This is not uncommon.  My friend paid $1200 (600 each) for two tickets to Steelers-Cardinals game in Tampa.  It was a few hundred below face value.  I won't be shocked if this happens this year.

6 minutes ago, Houston's #1 Bills Fan said:

I deeply regret not going to ONE of the four Superbowls. Financially, I realistically, probably, most likely couldn't have afforded it anyways!! But, damn, I wish I had the experience for at least one. 

I agree, despite that I was 12-16 during that run.

I did enter the lottery for the 1992 season as I had a season ticket, but I didn't win. Nor would my dad have taken me to Pasadena!

Unless I get some kind of amazing hookup, there's no way I can afford a SB trip these days. I already pay 2/3 the ticket price MONTHLY to...................................................others.

• Sad 1

First, the current vaccination that is not even commercially available outside of elderly, sick, first responders and military at this moment is a two shot vaccination, and nowhere near ready for shooting someone up going through the turnstile and it doesn’t work like that one.

Second for futurist, beaches are open, restaurants down here, no travel restrictions, just CDC recommendations, (if you didn’t read below, I live here) are at 50% occupancy, and can take off masks at restaurants.  Public gatherings are supposed to be at 10 or less, and the stadiums currently are at 25%.  The only reason Dallas can occupancy now 26,000 people is that their stadium has 100,000 seating.

Bottom line is people barely, especially the young, abide by the 6ft rule now, so these rich and celebrities are going to come and the hotels are open.  The resort pools are open.  They will have no problem having fun down here in February.  The weather is heaven in February.  Cool evenings, and warm days and almost no clouds at that time.  Everyday practically in December through April with some exceptions is a sunny day.  

If the demand is so high with hypothetically 15-20,000 fans, the tickets will be extraordinarily high.  Do you not think the Governor of FL who’s economy is dependent on tourist $ getting killed until the virus is widely available probably in June to July doe not want SB guests here, your not thinking about it.  FL doesn’t have a state tax because we have tourism $ from the NE.  Texas relies on oil.  We rely on tourists.

I wonder the Vegas over/under is $10,000 per ticket on avg.

• Like (+1) 2

There’s no doubt I’m going to see a super bowl at some point in my life, but why spend the money if you’re not going to get the full experience.  

that being said, theres no way the tickets will be $500. People will go and spend far more. 

I did not attend any of the four SBs.  Young family and could not justify the cost.

I told myself that if they ever make it again, I will attend.  I do not believe the tickets will be cheap.  I suppose if totally outrageous I might reconsider.  Hopefully I will have to search for a ticket.

2 hours ago, FUTURIST said:

An interesting debate has broken out. I mentioned it in another thread but it is beginning to play out publicly now.  Will this be the most expensive ticket ever or the cheapest ticket ever?

What would you be willing to pay if the Bills are in the Super Bowl?   I would probably go to $500 but no higher.  It just might be better to watch on television if you can't leave your hotel anyway.

As one mid-level broker said, “If there isn’t a party, that hurts a lot. You want to sell people on being out and eating and drinking and going to the beach. Part of the attraction will hinge on that. Nobody is going to pay a premium to go sit in a hotel.”

The broker paused for a moment and chuckled, adding a shrugging thought: “Or maybe nobody will want to go at all because all this [expletive] could still be just like it is right now. Maybe nobody will even want to pay average Super Bowl ticket prices if it won’t be the same experience. Or [President-elect] Joe Biden decides the day after the inauguration that we’re not doing sports events for a couple months.

“Who really knows? You see what I mean? It’s impossible to call at this point.”

https://au.finance.yahoo.com/news/super-bowl-lv-could-be-most-expensive-and-covi-dtested-nfl-ticket-in-history-072939370.html

$500 doesn't get you into some regular season games out of Buffalo 

1 hour ago, BuffaloBillies said:

I'd pay $5K, but only if I can sit in that ship and fire off the cannons whenever I want to.

Only if you practice you’re best Gene Deckerhoff imitation.  😇

It’s actually fun up there.  They used to have a cool bar by the ship, but my guess this year closed down.  Haven’t gone to a game this year.

17 minutes ago, machine gun kelly said:

Oh, one last thing, Biden nor Trump chooses attendance or anything else as it relates to state matters of Covid.  The Governors since the beginning of this pandemic choose these State matters.

The NFL got very lucky in picking Florida.  With no income tax, Florida is highly dependent on tourism dollars to balance their state budgets.  If this was in California for example, we might have been watching the first sterile bowl.  But Florida wants tourists.  Would not shock me to see that bowl filled with increasing capacity as we get closer to February.

3 minutes ago, wjag said:

The NFL got very lucky in picking Florida.  With no income tax, Florida is highly dependent on tourism dollars to balance their state budgets.  If this was in California for example, we might have been watching the first sterile bowl.  But Florida wants tourists.  Would not shock me to see that bowl filled with increasing capacity as we get closer to February.

By lucky, you mean they had ZERO idea when a 100-year pandemic would hit, and the game is planned like 6-7 years out? It's fortunate, but not lucky.

Roll those bones, yo.

45 minutes ago, teef said:

There’s no doubt I’m going to see a super bowl at some point in my life, but why spend the money if you’re not going to get the full experience.  

that being said, theres no way the tickets will be $500. People will go and spend far more. 

I'm in for Indy. We wouldn't even need to buy hotels, I'm 1.5 hours away.

You make dentist money, so you can buy the Uber home from there to me, and we can party with @Royale with Cheese afterwards.

1 hour ago, Seasons1992 said:

Bills roundtable: Kelly, Tasker and Thomas talk Super Bowl memories

I couldn't find the older gentleman in the sea of waving American flags in the stands, as he wipes a tear from his eye.

So, what happened in this game? I assume Parcells took the ball away from us, but it seems I've forgot how things transpired..........

Ha! Sure you did. 😃 

• Like (+1) 1

A decade or so...I would have made it my priority to do whatever I could to go.  What is in my bank account?  I'd start with that number as for what I would pay.

Now, however, I'm perfectly happy at home.  Give me 2 tickets to the superbowl with the Bills in it..and I'd look for someone who would enjoy the trip more than I would.

I had season tickets for years, but as far as gameday goes now, I see the game better and have a better Sunday watching it at home (or a friends house) on high def TV than I ever did in the stadium.  More importantly, if the Bills did win, I would MUCH rather be here in the community among friends/neighbors...being able to experience it in WNY than among the other fans who made the trip to another city.

Edited by mjd1001

27 minutes ago, Seasons1992 said:

By lucky, you mean they had ZERO idea when a 100-year pandemic would hit, and the game is planned like 6-7 years out? It's fortunate, but not lucky.

Roll those bones, yo.

Yeah lucky.

34 minutes ago, Seasons1992 said:

I'm in for Indy. We wouldn't even need to buy hotels, I'm 1.5 hours away.

You make dentist money, so you can buy the Uber home from there to me, and we can party with @Royale with Cheese afterwards.

I'll be in bed by 9:30 pm.

22 minutes ago, teef said:

it's more like @Royale with Cheese will be partying with us.

I'll be in bed by 9:30.

3 hours ago, teef said:

I've been to one, XXV.  I know it's different now, but I think the "full experience" is overrated. Unless you're a big corporate guest, you're not going to any glamour events with celebrities.  You're just walking the streets, eating at restaurants, etc.   And because so few tickets are allocated to the teams, the city isn't overrun with fans of the two teams.   Maybe half of the people in town for the game have very little rooting interest.   So the streets aren't overflowing with partisan fans.  A Bills crowd might be a little different in that regard.  Imagine Texas and Michigan State at the Orange Bowl - what's Miami like?   Some people walking around in orange or green, especially in the nightspot neighborhoods, but it isn't like Bourbon Street.  

So when I think about going to another one, I think about it as just an extended weekend in a city, where I'm eating out in restaurants, seeing a few sites, and going to a football game.  And the game, too, is a little disappointing because so many people have no rooting interest.  They're there to watch, sure, but also to be able to say they were there and to say how cool the half-time show was.   

If the Bills get there this season, I don't think I'm going.  But starting next season, I am, and I'll pay an arm and a leg, just because I want to be there.  I won't go for the "full experience."  I'll go for the game.  

• Like (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

I've been to one, XXV.  I know it's different now, but I think the "full experience" is overrated. Unless you're a big corporate guest, you're not going to any glamour events with celebrities.  You're just walking the streets, eating at restaurants, etc.   And because so few tickets are allocated to the teams, the city isn't overrun with fans of the two teams.   Maybe half of the people in town for the game have very little rooting interest.   So the streets aren't overflowing with partisan fans.  A Bills crowd might be a little different in that regard.  Imagine Texas and Michigan State at the Orange Bowl - what's Miami like?   Some people walking around in orange or green, especially in the nightspot neighborhoods, but it isn't like Bourbon Street.  

So when I think about going to another one, I think about it as just an extended weekend in a city, where I'm eating out in restaurants, seeing a few sites, and going to a football game.  And the game, too, is a little disappointing because so many people have no rooting interest.  They're there to watch, sure, but also to be able to say they were there and to say how cool the half-time show was.   

If the Bills get there this season, I don't think I'm going.  But starting next season, I am, and I'll pay an arm and a leg, just because I want to be there.  I won't go for the "full experience."  I'll go for the game.  

this makes total sense.  if the bills go to the super bowl, (other than this year) i'm paying whatever to see it.   up until this year, i just assumed that the super bowl i attended would involve teams i don't really care about, and i'd be one of the ones to go, just so i say i went.  is that worth the money...i'm not sure, but it's definitely a low level bucket list item.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, machine gun kelly said:

First, the current vaccination that is not even commercially available outside of elderly, sick, first responders and military at this moment is a two shot vaccination, and nowhere near ready for shooting someone up going through the turnstile and it doesn’t work like that one.

Second for futurist, beaches are open, restaurants down here, no travel restrictions, just CDC recommendations, (if you didn’t read below, I live here) are at 50% occupancy, and can take off masks at restaurants.  Public gatherings are supposed to be at 10 or less, and the stadiums currently are at 25%.  The only reason Dallas can occupancy now 26,000 people is that their stadium has 100,000 seating.

Bottom line is people barely, especially the young, abide by the 6ft rule now, so these rich and celebrities are going to come and the hotels are open.  The resort pools are open.  They will have no problem having fun down here in February.  The weather is heaven in February.  Cool evenings, and warm days and almost no clouds at that time.  Everyday practically in December through April with some exceptions is a sunny day.  

If the demand is so high with hypothetically 15-20,000 fans, the tickets will be extraordinarily high.  Do you not think the Governor of FL who’s economy is dependent on tourist $ getting killed until the virus is widely available probably in June to July doe not want SB guests here, your not thinking about it.  FL doesn’t have a state tax because we have tourism $ from the NE.  Texas relies on oil.  We rely on tourists.

I wonder the Vegas over/under is $10,000 per ticket on avg.

What do we care about the resorts? I figured we’d all be staying with YOU! 

The weather is indeed glorious, and I hope it’s not a freaky bad weekend for those who attend. My goal is to get back there permanently in the next 5-10 years. We recently looked at a great house here in Atlanta, and one of the reasons we passed was the wife wondering how much longer we’ll live here. That was encouraging.

We went to the Bills vs the Washington Football Team in Minneapolis (then the Redskins, you might remember them). The good news was the entire trip cost us $50 including 2 (lousy) tickets, hotel, airfare and cocktail parties. The wife won a raffle some of her friends were running for their Zonta Club. I don’t think it was rigged, but it was curious. The wife wanted to sell the package to buy a dining room set. Silly girl! The bad news, of course, was single digit temps, a cold wind and snow. Hardly South Beach for a Super Bowl. We got on the wrong shuttle bus, filled with a bunch of guys from Germany. They all had backpacks fully of Budweiser, which they had little respect for and they were quite generous! We had a blast despite the language barrier!

Once you’ve been to one SB there is less urgency to attend another, at least for me. It’s like The Masters and seeing Augusta National. Thrilled that got checked off the bucket list. I wouldn’t hesitate to drop $1-2k if necessary for a decent ticket IF I really wanted to attend. I could drive down and enjoy the warm weather. The weekend with Bills fans all over town is almost as fun as the game. I could also be pretty darn happy watching on the new big screen from my comfy couch as long as the Bills are playing!  I’d lean toward the couch, I think. 

Edited by Augie
  • Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, teef said:

this makes total sense.  if the bills go to the super bowl, (other than this year) i'm paying whatever to see it.   up until this year, i just assumed that the super bowl i attended would involve teams i don't really care about, and i'd be one of the ones to go, just so i say i went.  is that worth the money...i'm not sure, but it's definitely a low level bucket list item.

Yeah, any other teams, no way I'm paying over face value to see the game.  Probably not doing that.  Any other teams, I'd go if someone gave me a ticket. 

In the months running up to XXV, I kept telling my wife that if the Bills go to the Super Bowl, I'm going.  She kept saying "yeah, yeah, yeah.  I've heard 15 years of this stuff."   When there were about three weeks left in the season, and the Bills were really rolling, she said. "If you go to the Super Bowl, can I go, too?"   

Now, it's 30 years later, and she's had 30 more years of the Bills, and she's "yeah, yeah, yeah."   But I know if I go, she's going.  For XXV, I think I paid $1200 for two tix and took my wife.  She'll kill me, but next time I might pay up to $10,000 for two.  I'll use all that money I made writing the Rockpile Review!   🤣🤣🤣  

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

SB tix prices are ridiculous.  Instead...

I’d book a trip to the Caribbean for 5-6 days, watch the SB there, and plan on flying home on Monday...just in case the Bills win, so I could attend the parade.  

I’d still probably have money leftover after my trip, compared to the cost of two to attend the SB. 

Edited by Back the Blue
  • Like (+1) 1

55 minutes ago, Augie said:

What do we care about the resorts? I figured we’d all be staying with YOU! 

The weather is indeed glorious, and I hope it’s not a freaky bad weekend for those who attend. My goal is to get back there permanently in the next 5-10 years. We recently looked at a great house here in Atlanta, and one of the reasons we passed was the wife wondering how much longer we’ll live here. That was encouraging.

We went to the Bills vs the Washington Football Team in Minneapolis (then the Redskins, you might remember them). The good news was the entire trip cost us $50 including 2 (lousy) tickets, hotel, airfare and cocktail parties. The wife won a raffle some of her friends were running for their Zonta Club. I don’t think it was rigged, but it was curious. The wife wanted to sell the package to buy a dining room set. Silly girl! The bad news, of course, was single digit temps, a cold wind and snow. Hardly South Beach for a Super Bowl. We got on the wrong shuttle bus, filled with a bunch of guys from Germany. They all had backpacks fully of Budweiser, which they had little respect for and they were quite generous! We had a blast despite the language barrier!

Once you’ve been to one SB there is less urgency to attend another, at least for me. It’s like The Masters and seeing Augusta National. Thrilled that got checked off the bucket list. I wouldn’t hesitate to drop $1-2k if necessary for a decent ticket IF I really wanted to attend. I could drive down and enjoy the warm weather. The weekend with Bills fans all over town is almost as fun as the game. I could also be pretty darn happy watching on the new big screen from my comfy couch as long as the Bills are playing!  I’d lean toward the couch, I think. 

Augie, r u kiddin, you Weo, Gugs, 3/12, Lime, Chandman, Ridgeway, Hap of course, and can’t forget Donuts, and I’m sure I forgot a bunch more are all welcome with Fred (my dog) in my garage.  You’ll love him and I’ll make sure to give him Hormel Chili that day like Grumpier Old Men (love that scene) as well as many Schlitz  as you can drink (I don’t even know if they still sell that crap) as long as you use the outhouse I’m renting for the weekend.  Don’t worry, you can go down to my pond and beat yourself on a rock when needing to clean up (MASH reference for the youngins with Radar).  All kidding aside, if you guys, any of you come down, let me know and we can grab a daddy juice together.  I’d love to meet you guys so on the crazy chance we get here, I’d love to meet whoever is coming.  After the AFCC we’ll know and could be fun.  Love to meet any TSW guys coming.

First things first, let’s get there.  (That was a good one Augie, had to try and keep up with you’re sarcasm)

• Awesome! (+1) 1

I was lucky enough to go to Super Bowl 28 as a kid with my parents. I wouldn't pay to go again. It's neat to be able to say that I went but our seats weren't good. We were surrounded by Cowboys fans. The atmosphere for the game was solidly corporate even then. It just wasn't nearly as fun as an actual Bills game. Now, what might be worth it would be to go to the city to do the pregame stuff and party then watch the game on tv with a big Bills Backers group somewhere. A drive in move theatre or equivalent temporary setup would be perfect if they'd be down with letting people tailgate.

Fwiw, I'd gladly pay $100+ a car for that experience.

Edited by That's No Moon
  • Thank you (+1) 1

7 hours ago, FUTURIST said:

This is not uncommon.  My friend paid $1200 (600 each) for two tickets to Steelers-Cardinals game in Tampa.  It was a few hundred below face value.  I won't be shocked if this happens this year.

If the Bills are in the game you won't be finding anything below face value. Nothing. Zip. Nada. If anything it will be one of those oversold games where people buy packages and don't get tickets.

1 minute ago, Cheektowaga Chad said:

I'd rather spend the money on the afc Championship game home or away

It wouldn't be nearly as expensive and the atmosphere and experience would be better in my opinion, home or away

I concur, all three afc championship games were better experiences than the super bowl. Game outcome notwithstanding.

I don’t really have the funds to do it, and I am on a 4 game winning streak for games I attend. The last loss was the Monday Nighter vs Seattle 5years ago and they got jobbed by the refs in that one and played the best game of that season. So, may I suggest a GoFund me?

• Like (+1) 1