Week 13: Bills at 49ers on MNF (in Arizona)

YoloinOhio

1 minute ago, YoloinOhio said:

Maybe they are just stuck in their little nfc west bubble. I remember how Pete Carroll was shocked the bills decided to throw the ball all over. 

Or they could just be reading the usual narratives about Allen being inaccurate, inconsistent, wild, etc. 

4 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Sorry if Yolo has already linked this but:

The team is 8-3.  The offense is #10.  The QB is top 10 in every category. 

What exactly WERE you expecting dude?

Maybe he was expecting more of Josh's run and gun style from the last few years, he's been throwing a lot more from the pocket.

7 minutes ago, Richard Noggin said:

This kind of thing feeds the narrative some of our more insecure fans keep pushing...that the team doesn't get its due respect nationally, yada yada.

Well, when its true, its true. Its not like this was some opinion piece. It was a freakin quote from their DC.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

48 minutes ago, Richard Noggin said:

This kind of thing feeds the narrative some of our more insecure fans keep pushing...that the team doesn't get its due respect nationally, yada yada.

I dunno about "narrative insecure fans keep pushing"

In the Pat Mcafee show posted in another thread, Mcafee asks Josh "There hasn't been a lot of chatter about the Bills this year" 

Josh says "We like that".  Watch his facial expressions:

I don't think it's just "fan insecurity", I think we like being the underdog, the disregarded swordsman who can rise up and sweep off heads with one swing of that samurai sword.

Buffalo vs Everybody man!  I like it like that!

Or for the traditionalist , Here and now let's get this straight

40 minutes ago, Bferra13 said:

Well, when its true, its true. Its not like this was some opinion piece. It was a freakin quote from their DC.

Exactly.  I mean I get it, they focus in on their next opponent, but I would assume part of the game prep would be starting with a bit of statistical summary on that next team.  And the part about "like a Wildcat offense" is a bit bizarre to me.

51 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Edit: here is a transcript of his follow up comments on Allen courtesy of 49erswebzone

When you said that Buffalo Bills QB Josh Allen is a problem and he jumped off the film and it surprised you, did he surprise you in a way, I guess, that he's more of a passer and more of an accurate passer than just kind of a guy that's going to tuck it and run?

"Yeah, he's like a young [New England Patriots QB] Cam Newton. Obviously, Cam can still throw and still do all that stuff, but he's a load to tackle. They run him, I mean, it's basically like Wildcat offense. They're doing a lot of you just snap the ball, run power with him which is surprising. More guts than I would with a franchise quarterback, but he makes it work. He drops back to pass. He has tremendous pocket presence and he'll sit in the pocket. It's not like he's looking to run out of there. He will go through his progressions. When it's time to scramble he's not scrambling to run, he's scrambling to throw, but if it all breaks down, he'll still run. He gains ground in a hurry. He's extremely fast, very agile, very mobile. He is hard to bring down because he's such a bigger body, but he is talented. He can throw the ball on his back foot just as far as [Kansas City Chiefs QB Patrick] Mahomes, I bet, and he's got the receivers to throw to. So, an extremely talented group and like I said, Brian's doing a phenomenal job putting them in position to be successful."

I'm actually pretty surprised by this description, because I wouldn't have called the Bills offense anything like "Wildcat offense" and I actually don't see us running power with Josh Allen that often 🤷‍♂️ this season

The rest of it - that he's got good pocket presence and scrambles to throw - seems appropriate.

He is referring to the QB Power they run as similar to the Wildcat where Allen catches the snap and then takes off on a sweep...it does look like a Wildcat run that I've seen run before.

2 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

He is referring to the QB Power they run as similar to the Wildcat where Allen catches the snap and then takes off on a sweep...it does look like a Wildcat run that I've seen run before.

OK, so instead of referring to the Bills offense as a "wildcat offense", you think he's specifically referring to specific run plays?  That would make more sense.

The thing is, we don't run them that often?

1 minute ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

OK, so instead of referring to the Bills offense as a "wildcat offense", you think he's specifically referring to specific run plays?  That would make more sense.

Maybe he just watched the first Jets game Josh ran more in that one right?

2 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

He was specifically referring to the QB Power we run, aka the sweep Allen runs with 3 pulling linemen out in front, which is similar to a wildcat play where the player catches the snap and immediately either runs up the middle or in some cases they run a sweep like that.

Edited by matter2003

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

As absurd as this and his extended comments on the offense were, is this really that far fetched? Being serious, no jerk. In fairness to him, they only have to play the Bills once every 4 years. It’s conceivable they’ve watched zero tape on the Bills and Allen until prepping for this game and he was going off the same old fly-by lazy media driven narrative. Unlike a division or conference game, why would he waste his time watching Bills tape until now?

Edited by TheProcess

5 minutes ago, TheProcess said:

As absurd as this and his extended comments on the offense were, is this really that far fetched? Being serious, no jerk. In fairness to him, they only have to play the Bills once every 4 years. It’s conceivable they’ve watched zero tape on the Bills and Allen until prepping for this game and he was going off the same old fly-by lazy media driven narrative. Unlike a division or conference game, why would he waste his time watching Bills tape until now?

Well if he was just believing the lazy media driven narrative than he's an idiot.  If you're a DC and somewhat unaware of Josh Allen who's on your schedule, then you're an even bigger idiot.

• Like (+1) 2

5 hours ago, SlimShady'sSpaceForce said:

Josh Allen needs just 62 passing yards to surpass his passing yardage total for all of 2019. 👀

That's pretty encouraging considering the tougher competition and having a little under a 1/3 of the season left. Woohoo!!!

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Edit: here is a transcript of his follow up comments on Allen courtesy of 49erswebzone

When you said that Buffalo Bills QB Josh Allen is a problem and he jumped off the film and it surprised you, did he surprise you in a way, I guess, that he's more of a passer and more of an accurate passer than just kind of a guy that's going to tuck it and run?

"Yeah, he's like a young [New England Patriots QB] Cam Newton. Obviously, Cam can still throw and still do all that stuff, but he's a load to tackle. They run him, I mean, it's basically like Wildcat offense. They're doing a lot of you just snap the ball, run power with him which is surprising. More guts than I would with a franchise quarterback, but he makes it work. He drops back to pass. He has tremendous pocket presence and he'll sit in the pocket. It's not like he's looking to run out of there. He will go through his progressions. When it's time to scramble he's not scrambling to run, he's scrambling to throw, but if it all breaks down, he'll still run. He gains ground in a hurry. He's extremely fast, very agile, very mobile. He is hard to bring down because he's such a bigger body, but he is talented. He can throw the ball on his back foot just as far as [Kansas City Chiefs QB Patrick] Mahomes, I bet, and he's got the receivers to throw to. So, an extremely talented group and like I said, Brian's doing a phenomenal job putting them in position to be successful."

I'm actually pretty surprised by this description, because I wouldn't have called the Bills offense anything like "Wildcat offense" and I actually don't see us running power with Josh Allen that often 🤷‍♂️ this season

The rest of it - that he's got good pocket presence and scrambles to throw - seems appropriate.

He is far more accurate now than Newton ever was...in Newton's last year in Carolina where he had a really high completion rate it was because he was throwing checkdowns all day to McCaffery. Allen is still throwing the ball downfield with a completion percentage at 69%. That is REALLY good..especially considering Allen has one of the higher drop percentages in the league as well...

• Like (+1) 3

9 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

This chump is absolutely ready to be the next Lions HC....

• Haha (+1) 7
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

8 hours ago, TheProcess said:

I guess I assumed that there was some kind of professional chat between coaches and staff, or players who are former teammates, that would be more reliable than said fly-by media narrative.  But looking at the 49ers roster, I don't see any familiar names who used to be here, so maybe that pipeline is thin (which probably means the reverse is true also).

Also thought coaches watched special games like Thanksgiving just as fans, but maybe super-focused ones don't, and Josh didn't show to advantage in our one evening game this year against the Titans so...

So you could have a point where maybe the vague background noise of the media, which went flying off the Bills to go buzz around the Dolphins PDQ, is all his exposure to us and to Allen.

• Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, White Linen said:

Well if he was just believing the lazy media driven narrative than he's an idiot.  If you're a DC and somewhat unaware of Josh Allen who's on your schedule, then you're an even bigger idiot.

Agreed. But, I think these guys are so dialed in to prepping for their opponent each week that they don’t have a ton of time to watch a lot of tape on other players. Especially those in another conference that you only have to face once every 4 years. So I’m guessing they may tend to let what they hear in the media influence their initial opinions until they turn on the tape. I’m not saying that’s what’s happening because what the hell do I know. Just a guess. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I guess I assumed that there was some kind of professional chat between coaches and staff, or players who are former teammates, that would be more reliable than said fly-by media narrative.  But looking at the 49ers roster, I don't see any familiar names who used to be here, so maybe that pipeline is thin (which probably means the reverse is true also).

Also thought coaches watched special games like Thanksgiving just as fans, but maybe super-focused ones don't, and Josh didn't show to advantage in our one evening game this year against the Titans so...

So you could have a point where maybe the vague background noise of the media, which went flying off the Bills to go buzz around the Dolphins PDQ, is all his exposure to us and to Allen.

Oh I hear ya. What you’re saying may very well be the case. But I could see with how busy these guys are if they don’t pay too much attention to mid-season, non-conference opponent until they have to.  What with injuries and everything that could change that team’s lineup by the time you get to play them. I don’t really know. His comments seem strange to me too. Just a guess on my part to try to make sense of his comments. 

12 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I think we run them enough for it to be a concern to a DC. But just one of many things they must prepare for so I don't wanna overstate it.

Didn't we run 2 or 3 in this past game?

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, BillsFan130 said:

Was there any news on Milano yesterday? Didn’t see if he practiced or not.

Milano is on IR and the Bills are practicing in the fieldhouse from which the press is excluded

So until he's activated or not, we only know what McDermott chooses to reveal....

2 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

Do we know that for sure? Not saying he didn’t but he’s still on IR so not listed on the report and no media was there. I assume he practiced just wonder in what capacity. 

Pretty sure that McDermott said he practiced in a WGR interview or something, said they will look at him today before making a decision to activate or not.

• Thank you (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Milano is on IR and the Bills are practicing in the fieldhouse from which the press is excluded

So until he's activated or not, we only know what McDermott chooses to reveal....

Pretty sure that McDermott said he practiced in a WGR interview or something, said they will look at him today before making a decision to activate or not.

McDermott's got to be loving that.

9 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

McDermott's got to be loving that.

Oh, Yeah. 

There are some aspects of Covid restrictions I'm certain the coaches and players will fight to keep

Some continued limitations to press access would be heading McDermott's "Christmas List", I believe.

He likes to deal with the press the way he wants his players to down shots of Fireball - in moderation, in controlled settings, and when they're not driving

• Haha (+1) 1

So an interesting tid bit from Monson on PFF’s game preview this week.... the bills are getting absolutely GASHED by traditional inside powering running teams but that isn’t the type of running scheme Shanahan goes to on a regular basis. He explains they are primarily a horizontal flowing team that utilizes more outside zone runs. As it turns out the bills, being built for speed, are actually top ten in the NFL allowing just 3.8 YPC on outside zone runs. 

All hope for our run game vs the niners may not be lost I guess. Would love to stuff their freaking run game. The narrative this week from everyone under the sun is how we are gonna get man handled for 150-200 yds on the ground. It’s been awhile since I’ve seen so much hype for a 5-6 squad over one there 8-3 and has the better QB. 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Good time to get healthy.

Activate Milano if he's healthy. As important as he is for these last 5 games of the regular season plus a playoff run, it’s even more important for him personally and professionally to get through this run without another injury keeping him out of games.

3 minutes ago, Stank_Nasty said:

So an interesting tid bit from Monson on PFF’s game preview this week.... the bills are getting absolutely GASHED by traditional inside powering running teams but that isn’t the type of running scheme Shanahan goes to on a regular basis. He explains they are primarily a horizontal flowing team that utilizes more outside zone runs. As it turns out the bills, being built for speed, are actually top ten in the NFL allowing just 3.8 YPC on outside zone runs. 

All hope for our run game vs the niners may not be lost I guess. Would love to stuff their freaking run game. The narrative this week from everyone under the sun is how we are gonna get man handled for 150-200 yds on the ground. It’s been awhile since I’ve seen so much hype for a 5-6 squad over one there 8-3 and has the better QB. 

Sounds like all the more reason for Milano to be active if he's healthy 

41 minutes ago, Stank_Nasty said:

I was thinking about this and glad to see stats to back it up. Shanahan is still a great coach and I’m sure he can design an inside running game.  However, I think our team is built to beat what they currently do (outside run and YAC in the short passing game). Kittle and Jimmy G being out is really beneficial.