Jerry Hughes Do U Bring Him Back or Let Him Walk ?

T master

55 minutes ago, Victory Formation said:

He’s only gotten 7-10 sacks three times over his 11 year career.. Defense needs to be rebuilt now, we need that cap space for Allen.. and I assume that Diggs will eventually want more money.. Daryl Williams has been great, he needs to be re-signed as does Feliciano..

Defense needs a youth movement in the worst way.. Definitely think Levi Wallace should get signed to a cheap 2 year deal.. Him and Dane have shown promise at corner... young n cheap.. I would keep Poyer because in my mind he is the heart and soul of this defense but all the other expensive contracts need to be dumped or traded for draft picks..

Poyer, Epenesa, White, Edmunds, Oliver, Jackson, Wallace, Johnson and Zimmer should be the young nuclei we build around.. Start over.. Defense is getting paid too much and they suck.. Need to add a center in the draft and everything else should go towards defense.. trade down if you have to..

I can see the argument from both sides, but if we could keep Hughes for 2 more years for around 16 mil I would rather keep him. 

4 hours ago, T master said:

Although Jerry has been a constant for those here complaining how he's not that good and he's getting old yet he still continues to apply pressure in every game add to it his leadership on the D then given the fact his age and isn't this the last year of his current contract ? 🤔

Do you bring him back next year to continue what he has been doing or do you pull a Belly check and get rid of him to allow your younger players to get more playing time to become a bigger part of the D moving forward ?

I know we still have quite a few games to go this season but the off season will be upon us before we know it and there will be some tough decisions to be made as far as who to keep and who to let go given the loyalty McD and company has had with players such as Kyle , Zo, do you bring Jerry back ?

I think he is a very important piece to this D what he can pass on is priceless to the younger players !! Not to mention his actions speak louder than words .

I would like to see him finish his career as a Bills for one there aren't nearly as many players that spend their career for the most part with 1 team . I know we got Jerry from Indy but the best of his career has happened here and he has given the Bills and the fans all he can when he's on the field so do you bring him back or do you let him walk ???

If this subject has been posted recently my apologies !! 

Did you come from the future? He’s under contract for 2021... ask me after next season. 

In all seriousness I would probably try to extend him through 2022 and decrease the cap hit in 2021. 

Edited by JGMcD2

4 hours ago, Victory Formation said:

Think we need a youth movement on defense.. I’d keep Epenesa and Daryl Johnson.. Addison, Hughes, Butler and Jefferson I’d move on from.. take that money and extend Daryl Williams and Jon Feliciano.. Trade down in the draft a few times, reload...

There is going to be a youth movement on the team next Year.  Defensive line, and so on.  We can’t spend a ton of $ on free agency given the Covid cap thing, so our draft will be eaten up with defensive lineman, cornerback, tight end etc. it’s the smart move and hopefully Epenesa responds with a good finish this year.

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Victory Formation said:

Think we need a youth movement on defense.. I’d keep Epenesa and Daryl Johnson.. Addison, Hughes, Butler and Jefferson I’d move on from.. take that money and extend Daryl Williams and Jon Feliciano.. Trade down in the draft a few times, reload...

Butler is a must go IMO, Jefferson has had moments, yet being him only costs us $1.5m off the cap next year I can move on from that. Toss in Murphy is off the books we then have to find a depth DE that can develop either in the mid rounds of the draft or sign an UFA who could produce 5 or more sacks on the season. In terms of the draft I stay put and try to get a top end TE in the 1st or maybe find a G/C as am not sold on Ford and Morse's long term status could be in question. Yet CB and LB could also be possibilities. In UFA I would target Tarik Cohen though as he'd be a speed back we need. 

58 minutes ago, Rc2catch said:

I think I would let him walk. 
I don’t think he’s totally over the hill. 
But I don’t think he’ll be worth his next contract either. 
Ive liked Hughes during his time here, but he has to be the most hated player by almost all officials in the league. That man gets abused week in and week out and they almost never call anything. After what’s happened this season I’m all in for a youth movement on the line. Fresh blood that’s hungry. And cheaper. 

You can't ignore the blackballing he receives from the refs. That is permanent and will never end. Draft the best pass rusher you can in the 1st. Pair him up with AJ.  Murphy and Addison are likely gone. 

27 minutes ago, machine gun kelly said:

There is going to be a youth movement on the team next Year.  Defensive line, and so on.  We can’t spend a ton of $ on free agency given the Covid cap thing, so our draft will be eaten up with defensive lineman, cornerback, tight end etc. it’s the smart move and hopefully Epenesa responds with a good finish this year.

Ya know.. I really like Epenesa.. I think he was a good pick and I still think he was a good pick.. He’ll be a 8-10 sack per year kind of guy while stuffing the run.. I’m excited for him, probably a lot more excited than most but I think he’ll be good, real good!

White is another guy I still like.. sure he’s made a few mistakes but I still think he is a top 10 corner when all is said and done..

So between Epenesa and White, I think we got two crucial pieces nailed down.. a great prospect at DE and a very good corner.. Edmunds should be moved into Milano’s role.. Milano walks.. You don’t pay top dollar for an often injured player.. he needs to go.. Poyer is an elite safety, very few in the NFL are better than him.. He’s the QB of our secondary.. with a true MLB to QB our front seven, I think we’ll be just fine..

So ideally we draft another ILB, a NT, a DE, a FS, a CB and we’re cooking.. whole defense would be locked up for next to nothing for the next 4-5 years going into Allen’s prime.. Pay offense, draft defense.. McD is a defensive cannoisseur, he can find starters all throughout the draft.. offense is harder for us to replenish.. Hyde, Hughes, Butler, Jefferson, Addison, Murphy, Norman and Gaines all need to go.. Need to find us a big fat NT like Ted Washington to plug in next to Star and our run game is fixed.. We’d be in good shape to extend Allen and give Diggs a pay bump..

It’s all price dependent, but he’s not the problem with the D, he’s also not the long term solution.  If he expects a huge deal, see ya.  If he’s willing to take a deal similar to Addison’s then yes.   Age is a factor as well, as a smaller, speed type guy, I fear his decline may be faster than some, you need what amounts to a multi-year, year at a time deal with minimum signing bonus in exchange for a higher guarantee this year.

33 minutes ago, The Jokeman said:

Butler is a must go IMO, Jefferson has had moments, yet being him only costs us $1.5m off the cap next year I can move on from that. Toss in Murphy is off the books we then have to find a depth DE that can develop either in the mid rounds of the draft or sign an UFA who could produce 5 or more sacks on the season. In terms of the draft I stay put and try to get a top end TE in the 1st or maybe find a G/C as am not sold on Ford and Morse's long term status could be in question. Yet CB and LB could also be possibilities. In UFA I would target Tarik Cohen though as he'd be a speed back we need. 

With Morse — you’re absolutely right, he should go! $11M/yr for an average center who can’t get push in the run game with extensive medical issues?? Yeah, he’s as good as gone.. Cody Ford on the other hand, he’s making $1.3M/yr and he has the strength and power to be a very good guard.. he can also play RT if say Daryl Williams were to get injured.. I see absolutely no good coming out of it if we cut Ford, no good at all.

Feliciano and Williams need to be retained... they’re both very good at what they do.. I would offer Feliciano the same contract Spain got... Daryl Williams on the other hand I’d offer $10M a year.. either way, I think these two must be retained for various reasons... 1. Allen is our franchise QB — he needs to be protected at all costs. 2. We’re maybe one or two OL away from having a dominant line that can pound the ball. 3. It’s harder for us to draft offense than it is defense.. McD can find defensive talent all throughout the draft.. OL though? Not as good..

20 minutes ago, Victory Formation said:

With Morse — you’re absolutely right, he should go! $11M/yr for an average center who can’t get push in the run game with extensive medical issues?? Yeah, he’s as good as gone.. Cody Ford on the other hand, he’s making $1.3M/yr and he has the strength and power to be a very good guard.. he can also play RT if say Daryl Williams were to get injured.. I see absolutely no good coming out of it if we cut Ford, no good at all.

Feliciano and Williams need to be retained... they’re both very good at what they do.. I would offer Feliciano the same contract Spain got... Daryl Williams on the other hand I’d offer $10M a year.. either way, I think these two must be retained for various reasons... 1. Allen is our franchise QB — he needs to be protected at all costs. 2. We’re maybe one or two OL away from having a dominant line that can pound the ball. 3. It’s harder for us to draft offense than it is defense.. McD can find defensive talent all throughout the draft.. OL though? Not as good..

Feliciano injuries are worrisome as he missed time in 2017, 2018 and now 2020 so yes, keep him around but be smart about it, I like Williams a lot, he is a a solid RT. 

He's not a free agent. Next year he's got a cap hit of $9.4M, and dead cap of $2.1M

You keep Hughes, and then you cut Mario Addison, which frees up $6.2M .  Vernon Butler will also be cut, saving another $6.8M.

But yea, I'd be VERY surprised if they cut Jerry. 

That RDE position is so important now. He'll be too old to give us a competitive advantage when his contract runs out. He has made some plays this year, but we need to be very strong at DE and CB especially. We have a lot of so-so DE's on our roster and no really good ones.

7 hours ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Exactly.

If the cap drops significantly, it will be a problem for EVERY team. And no way the NFL doesnt come up with some forgiveness program, or changes the rules for an off year.

What are they going to do? Force teams to cut all the high-priced guys and leave them out of work for a year? No.

The NFL will likely in my opinon borrow from future years to avoid the 175 cap number. Basically making the cap number 20 million higher in 2021 and just having more gradual increases the two years after. It's not a complicated solution to avoid a cap disaster.

• Like (+1) 1

I would hang onto him but probably reduce his snaps and maybe carve out some specific pass rush packages for him. He's a great veteran leader, obviously his teammates respond to him and respect him given he earned the C this year. He's a model McDermott player, selfless, wants to win, team player, exhibits top notch practice and preparation habits, all things you want your younger guys to see and emulate. 

56 minutes ago, GreggTX said:

That RDE position is so important now. He'll be too old to give us a competitive advantage when his contract runs out. He has made some plays this year, but we need to be very strong at DE and CB especially. We have a lot of so-so DE's on our roster and no really good ones.

I would restructure his deal. I think he can be a highly productive DE in a rotation esp in pass rushing situations but he just isn't likely to live up to his starter contract. If he takes a moderate pay cut his salary as a rotation player making 6.5ish million will be justified and give the Bills about 3 million in cap relief.