Sean McDermott-Overrated

McBean

Just now, BillsVet said:

I’m sorry you have low expectations and are afraid to think this team should be defeating good teams at home by year 4 of McD.

If you expect your team to never loose a game, then sport isn't for you -- maybe try video games where you can restart the game when you don't get the result you wanted.

This is a dramatically improved team that's 4-2 and leading the division by two games. We'll only know if this team has lived up to our expectations at the end of the season. 9-7 lifting the Lombardi trophy is always better than 14-2 losing in the first round.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, BillsEnthusiast said:

Then stop watching. There is no reason to blow things up now. Anyone who thinks so should go for a walk and cool off. It's stupid, reactionary thinking. 

Oh brother.

I have decades invested in this team.  I am not going to stop watching . . . and I also will continue to be an independent thinker when it comes to the Bills and Sabres (and everything else).

P.S. Where did I say that we should blow things up in the middle of the season?!?!

Edited by Peter

Just now, Peter said:

Oh brother.

I have decades invested in this team.  I am not going to stop watching . . . and I also will continue to be an independent thinker when it comes to the Bills and Sabres (and everything else).

Cool, still doesn't change the fact that McD or Beane aren't and shouldn't be going anywhere unless we lose out the season. 

1 minute ago, BillsEnthusiast said:

Cool, still doesn't change the fact that McD or Beane aren't and shouldn't be going anywhere unless we lose out the season. 

Again, I never said that we should blow things up in the middle of the season.

I just have never been very impressed with McCoach since his arrival.  I hope I am wrong.

Just now, BuffaloBobs said:

If you expect your team to never loose a game, then sport isn't for you -- maybe try video games where you can restart the game when you don't get the result you wanted.

This is a dramatically improved team that's 4-2 and leading the division by two games. We'll only know if this team has lived up to our expectations at the end of the season. 9-7 lifting the Lombardi trophy is always better than 14-2 losing in the first round.

Welcome to the boards.  Some of us have seen this show before and good starts mean nothing.  

• Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Ethan in Portland said:

Did you watch the Houston game? Defense ranking last year was an illusion.  They played terrible QBs most games and outside of Dak they lost to every decent QB.

They did pretty well against Watson for most of the game.  They also should’ve have had him sacked in Milano/Neal didn’t go for a knockout hit.  The team lost because Allen and the offense couldn’t generate any points after the half.

The point about QB’s isn’t accurate.  They played great against Lamar who was red hot at the time. Limited Baltimore to 24 points.  Hardly a shredding.  

Edited by JohnNord

I’ve always said I’m a big McD fan, with the exception of his conservative nature. I will admit I’m less thrilled this season because the defense has struggled. Coaches start to lose me when their alleged area of expertise isn’t performing well. 

Edited by SirAndrew

1 minute ago, JohnNord said:

They did pretty well against Watson.  The team lost because Allen and the offense couldn’t generate any points after the half 

You could have said you didn't watch the game. Defense choked a 16 point lead away with just over a quarter and a half to play. Offense scored a FG to force OT and defense choked in OT.

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Ethan in Portland said:

You could have said you didn't watch the game. Defense choked a 16 point lead away with just over a quarter and a half to play. Offense scored a FG to force OT and defense choked in OT.

Because a 16 point is a lock in the NFL in 2020?  

To pin the playoff list exclusively on the defense is just untrue.  Josh and the offense put up 3 points in the second half of the game.  Josh fumbled, executed some poor 3 and out drives, took sacks to knock them out of FG range, and worse yet Dawson Knox missed a block that would have put the Bills in position to win....AFTER the defense stopped Houston.  

2 minutes ago, Big Gun said:

Way too often McD is out coached, it's very concerning.

The past 2 weeks, he was outcoached 

I get some of the takes here and will agree that McDermott does not have a signature win. It's certainly not good to see his top process vets getting dumb penalties if we're supposed to be reaching the apex of our "process" or whatever. He's not a very good interview either in my opinion, his post game tonight didn't fit the mood and never does when we get beat badly. Always a cheerleader, never pissed.

That said there's way too much Patriots love in here. They're not a good team right now, folks. They are a worse team than this Bills team. There are huge problems with this defense right now but this team is not losing twice to that garbage New England roster. 

6 minutes ago, Nelius said:

I get some of the takes here and will agree that McDermott does not have a signature win. It's certainly not good to see his top process vets getting dumb penalties if we're supposed to be reaching the apex of our "process" or whatever. He's not a very good interview either in my opinion, his post game tonight didn't fit the mood and never does when we get beat badly. Always a cheerleader, never pissed.

That said there's way too much Patriots love in here. They're not a good team right now, folks. They are a worse team than this Bills team. There are huge problems with this defense right now but this team is not losing twice to that garbage New England roster. 

He doesn’t have any top “process” vets. Maybe Tre, Poyer, Hyde? But those other “process” vets he leaned on heavily like Kyle, Lawson, Hughes, etc. he inherited 

As we’ve  turned over the previous regimes talent on the defensive side of the ball it is not looking pretty. 

Milano can’t stay healthy.Edmunds is always behind the play. DL is very bad. CB2 has been an area of concern since Vontae Davis quit at half time in 2018. 

Edited by Mango
  • Like (+1) 1

when is the last time this coaching staff made adjustments in game that made a difference?  Seems we have one game plan and if it doesnt work there is no plan B  The defense to me looks the same every week  Dbs too far off the los  No exotic pressure  I cant remember the last time this defense overwhelmed a team up front  That passive approach might be why the defense hasnt scored a td in almost two full seasons

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Mango said:

He doesn’t have any top “process” vets. Maybe Tre, Poyer, Hyde? But those other “process” vets he leaned on heavily like Kyle, Lawson, Hughes, etc. he inherited 

As we’ve  turned over the previous regimes talent on the defensive side of the ball it is not looking pretty. 

Milano can’t stay healthy.Edmunds is always behind the play. DL is very bad. CB2 has been an area of concern since Vontae Davis quit at half time in 2018. 

Yes, exactly, I was talking about Tre and Poyer getting back to back dumb penalties. 

I'm with McDermott, but just watching him get outcoached in games against the upper echelon of teams in this league is getting frustrating. At some point he has to get it together. The raiders found a weakness in the chiefs defense and exploited it, the Patriots found a weakness in the chiefs offense and exploited it. What did we do on either side of the ball that made you say, wow that's great coaching right there, I found none but I'm no football guru so idk.

• Like (+1) 1

"Heck of a win men!"  "Stay hungry now men,  stay hungry!' "That's heart men, HEART!"

Seriously he says the same thing everytime. I get more inspiration from 

Sean Astin doing Knute Rockne in Rudy. 

2 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

The win against Dallas was pretty solid last year.

He's a middling sort of HC, though.

he is Marvin Lewis.   Good, not great.  will beat middle level teams and lose to great ones.  As the OP said, we might need better. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, BananaB said:

Lets chuck him away and go back to missing the playoffs for another couple decades. 

Making the playoffs is great when we haven’t done it in 17 years but the expectations of this team have changed. 

Nowhere close to saying he should be fired but he obviously needs to get things fixed because this is his team and he’s ultimately responsible.

Edited by Bangarang
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Bangarang said:

Making the playoffs is great when we haven’t done it in 17 years but the expectations of this team have changed. 

Who ya gonna replace him with that’s gonna get us over the hump. Anyone who doesn’t have a job, doesn’t have one for a reason. 

Edited by BananaB
  • Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Protocal69 said:

Something is off with this team. For some reason they are not playing with heart and togetherness. I dont know what happened during that extra time they had before the TITANS game but something is up besides the X's and O's 

Did the covid outbreak in Tennessee make guys second guess about wanting to play the season out, it's like they are just going through the motions out there the last two games. Even when Diggs scored the touchdown to take the lead no one came over fired up and even Diggs looked like he could care less.

1 hour ago, BillsEnthusiast said:

You play who is in front of you. Put 2017 aside and focus on 2019. We were 8-3 late in the season. 

To a previous poster's point, he's been darn lucky playing easier schedules.  In fact, last year Buffalo managed to play the 3rd easiest schedule and outscored opponents by 55 points.  

27 minutes ago, Mango said:

I look to the guys the have been paid as the "process" vets.  Dawkins, Tre, Poyer, and Hyde among others.  The first 2 are homegrown and got major contract extensions.  Hyde is a veterans of 7 seasons and so is Poyer, who also just signed an extension.  Or, what about Morse, who received one of the largest contracts for a center in NFL history?  

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, BillzFreak said:

Did the covid outbreak in Tennessee make guys second guess about wanting to play the season out, it's like they are just going through the motions out there the last two games. Even when Diggs scored the touchdown to take the lead no one came over fired up and even Diggs looked like he could care less.

I noticed this as well.

11 minutes ago, BillzFreak said:

I know it was weird that Tre White injury came out of the blue but more importantly he was NOT on the field with the rest of his teammates and canceled his scheduled interview that day. Its like all of sudden the team seem like it doesnt care for one another. I think from a team chemistry standpoint they should have paid Shaq or Jordan

• Like (+1) 1

I don't think so.  I think this team needs to work on the mental aspect and regroup.  People are acting like we just lost to the Jets and Falcons.  I think we as fans may have got ahead of ourselves.  Did they know Star and Gaines were gonna opt out.  They obvious felt they needed to improve on the DL and at CB.  Maybe it is time to call Lorax.  I see no disciplined leadership on the D.  Power was even an ***hat tonight.

16 minutes ago, BillzFreak said:

The league jerked the entire team around and handed almost no discipline to a team that didn't take COVID seriously.  That game should have never been played.  The Titans started preparing for the Bills as soon as the Pitt game was rescheduled.  They practiced in secret.  The only team that carried any extra burden was the Bills.