Report - Daboll “Logical Candidate” for Texans Head Coaching vacancy

Hard to imagine that he’d be interested. They are a tire fire and have no 1st or 2nd round pick next year.

https://www.wgrz.com/article/sports/nfl/report-bills-oc-brian-daboll-candidate-for-texans-head-coach-job/71-3aee4d5c-61d1-4ca5-a703-c7c64036bd07?fbclid=IwAR3sDE6BbU9Ky0pBceeB754BVwf6OVM5n6FCu78X98XDwYxrNZuwx6lX5fg

Edited by ChevyVanMiller
  • Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

It doesn’t say he will be considered. It’s a reporter saying he’s among “logical candidates” for the job, which is his opinion. Not your fault, but WGRZ doesn’t seem to understand the difference.

Thanks, that’s a big distinction. I changed the title.

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, atlbillsfan1975 said:

The sooner some of us come to terms with Daboll leaving for a HC the better it will be. I just don’t see why he wouldn’t. Now not getting offered the job is something else. 

yeah, he's gone for sure.   he did his job here, made Josh an NFL QB.  best wishes BD

• Like (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, atlbillsfan1975 said:

The sooner some of us come to terms with Daboll leaving for a HC the better it will be. I just don’t see why he wouldn’t. Now not getting offered the job is something else. 

He may like it here and the position he is in and the people he works for and with.

He may want to finish the job....playoff wins....SB

Has he ever said he aspires to be a HC?

21 minutes ago, JMF2006 said:

He may like it here and the position he is in and the people he works for and with.

I think going on Interviews is a pretty big sign you want a HC job. 

26 minutes ago, ProcessTruster said:

yeah, he's gone for sure.   he did his job here, made Josh an NFL QB.  best wishes BD

Yes. Also why do people think Josh is going to suddenly revert back to 2018 Josh? Josh had to learn to read defenses, had to learn to throw to spots, adjust to the speed of the NFL, trust his receivers and his line. Daboll is calling some great plays because Josh has developed and Daboll has the players finally, Josh is executing them. 
It appears as though some people believe that Josh  doesn’t  contain the ability to retain information and skills he has developed the first three years in the league. I’d say Josh has constantly been developing since he left high school. Josh is very coachable. McDermott and Beane will find a good replacement when the time comes for the OC.

Edited by atlbillsfan1975

23 minutes ago, JMF2006 said:

I think most Asst coaches want to be in charge of a team

56 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

It doesn’t say he will be considered. It’s a reporter saying he’s among “logical candidates” for the job, which is his opinion. Not your fault, but WGRZ doesn’t seem to understand the difference.

modern media and their lack of comprehension !!!!

10 minutes ago, atlbillsfan1975 said:

I think going on Interviews is a pretty big sign you want a HC job. 

Yes. Also why do people think Josh is going to suddenly revert back to 2018 Josh? Josh had to learn to read defenses, had to learn to throw to spots, adjust to the speed of the NFL, trust his receivers and his line. Daboll is calling some great plays because Josh has developed and Daboll has the players finally, Josh is executing them. 
It appears as though some people believe that Josh  doesn’t  contain the ability to retain information and skills he has developed the first three years in the league. I’d say Josh has constantly been developing since he left high school. Josh is very coachable. McDermott and Beane will find a good replacement when the time comes for the OC.

Agreed.

Big Ben was fine when Bruce Arians left the Steelers to take on the HC job.  

• Like (+1) 1

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't believe an assistant coach like Daboll can get hired somewhere else in the middle of the year.

The Texans will either need to roll with an in-house candidate for the rest of 2020, or get someone off the street.

• Like (+1) 1

If our offense keeps going the way it's been going then I would expect Daboll to be a "logical candidate" for basically every vacancy that pops up this year. It's just the nature of the beast. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

1 minute ago, H2o said:

If our offense keeps going the way it's been going then I would expect Daboll to be a "logical candidate" for basically every vacancy that pops up this year. It's just the nature of the beast. 

Very true.

Expect Josh McDaniel to also be a really hot name (again), if the Patriots continue to be competitive without Tom Brady.

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, mjt328 said:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't believe an assistant coach like Daboll can get hired somewhere else in the middle of the year.

The Texans will either need to roll with an in-house candidate for the rest of 2020, or get someone off the street.

Romeo Crennel named interim HC for the rest of the year.

Brian Gaine might have some advice for him on that organization...

Let's not all assume he is itching to get out of here. He is from Buffalo, winning, on a stacked offense with a team that will be good for a long time. Head coaching is a pain in the ass grind. Maybe he gets a raise and stays around? If you had a young family would you want to move everyone for a job you could be fired in 2-5 years if you've already got a job you love?

Anyone else wondering how O'Brian can get canned after 4 games and yet Gase still has a job. It really shows how much of ****show the Jets organization is. O'Brian had some years of success with the Texans. What good has Gase ever done as a HC.

9 minutes ago, Greg S said:

Anyone else wondering how O'Brian can get canned after 4 games and yet Gase still has a job. It really shows how much of ****show the Jets organization is. O'Brian had some years of success with the Texans. What good has Gase ever done as a HC.

BOB had a dual threat role as both GM and coach.  The questionable trades combined with the  0-4 start accelerated his demise.

Daboll checks all the boxes for a HC hire, I personally think he is gone after this season. I wouldn't be surprised to see Daboll as HC and make his DC Dan Quinn. Daboll name is all over the internet as front runners for Texans and Falcons. I think there will be 6 HC fired at the end of the season which really sucks for us. I already know Daboll is gone, the thing that sucks is that his play calling is on a whole different level this year. His relationship with his players is unique as well, It will be hard to replace him and not go back a few steps. 

Edited by Call_Of_Ktulu
  • Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Call_Of_Ktulu said:

Daboll checks all the boxes for a HC hire, I personally think he is gone after this season. I wouldn't be surprised to see Daboll as HC and make his DC Dan Quinn. Daboll name is all over the internet as front runners for Texans and Falcons. I think there will be 6 HC fired at the end of the season which really sucks for us. I already know Daboll is gone, the thing that sucks is that his play calling is on a whole different level this year. His relationship with his players is unique as well, I will be hard to replace him and not go back a few steps. 

Anyone on the Bills roster of current coaches who could step in as OC? Does McDermott look outside the organization assuming Daboll becomes a HC?

30 minutes ago, Greg S said:

O'Brian was so bad that it almost feels like he was paid to dismantle that team as like a sleeper agent. You need the president of your team to keep you safe from guys like Gase and O'Brian. Beanie does a great job with drafting players but he also seems to have the unique talent of getting a good read on a person and their passion for the game. 

10 minutes ago, Greg S said:

Anyone on the Bills roster of current coaches who could step in as OC? Does McDermott look outside the organization assuming Daboll becomes a HC?

I used to be more tuned into this but I don't have as much time to watch college football or research other teams. Hopefully Daboll has already talked to Beanie on what he wants to do after this season and the Bills can get a head start on evaluating OC's. 

Edited by Call_Of_Ktulu

Having no first or second round pick your first year is the ONLY drawback to the Texans job. You have an owner who is willing to let you have control and doesn't interfere (almost to the team's detriment in the last couple of years), you have a stud young Quarterback, and other than that Quarterback and your left tackle (who is overpaid but is a good player) you are not tied into any other contracts. If you can sell the owner on not necessarily being competitive your first year but being good in year 2 and really good by year 3 it is a very attractive job.

A bigger worry for the Bills is it sounds like Houston is gonna follow our model - hire the HC and let him bring a GM..... if we lost Daboll and Joe Schoen together that is a real blow. Schoen is the most underrated part of the Bills puzzle. He is the best pure talent evaluator on our staff by all accounts. I suspect both go after this season and they are gonna be tough holes to fill. But you know what? That is what happens when you are good. It is just another thing as fans we need to learn to embrace. When you are successful people want your guys.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, ChevyVanMiller said:

I had a bad thought that after the season that the Texans brought back Brian Gaine and added Daboll as HC.