What Roster Spot Surprised You?

Wizard

Which person or position was the biggest surprise to you that made or was cut from the roster? And, why?

For me, it was either Evan Boehm because he can play the pivot and was insurance until Feliciano returned and/or Marlowe because of his veteran experience level and capable backup play.

What about for you?

Del’Shawn Phillips.  Need I say more?

58 minutes ago, Wizard said:

Which person or position was the biggest surprise to you that made or was cut from the roster? And, why?

For me, it was either Evan Boehm because he can play the pivot and was insurance until Feliciano returned and/or Marlowe because of his veteran experience level and capable backup play.

What about for you?

I figured it would be Boehm or Boettger making the team. I haven’t seen much tape on either.  Evens or Odds, 1,2,3 shoot

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Bronxbomber21 said:

The 10 offensive lineman we kept

It is 9 really. Feliciano will be IR'd today. 

1 hour ago, Wizard said:

I too was surprised by Del'Shawn Phillips making the roster. I guess it is a combination of his versatility and ST ability as well as that our LB quality after Edmunds and Milano leaves much yo be desired.

Yep. Ability to play outside as well as inside. Their other two backups are primarily inside guys.

2 hours ago, Bronxbomber21 said:

The 10 offensive lineman we kept

It’s only a surprise to me that they did it.  I think 10 O-Linemen is smart.  Since continuity is important for an offensive line and offensive plays tend to be more complicated than defenses, adding an o-lineman during the season is tough.  This year is much different, of course, with the expanded practice squads with adjusted rules, so it isn’t as big of a deal.

Keeper: Del’Shawn Phillips - he came from no where.

Released: Dean Marlowe - I thought he was an important part of the Safety room. Suppose to be resigned today, but the Bills are taking a gamble that no one else will claim him. ..... Question: Do they do hand-shank deals in situations like this (him and Roberts)?

3 hours ago, CSBill said:

Released: Dean Marlowe - I thought he was an important part of the Safety room. Suppose to be resigned today, but the Bills are taking a gamble that no one else will claim him. ..... Question: Do they do hand-shank deals in situations like this (him and Roberts)?

I may be wrong but I don’t think Marlowe goes thru waivers. He would have to choose to sign somewhere else on his own. Same with Roberts. 

Again not 100% positive on this but I’m pretty sure there’s a handshake deal. 

Edited by Not at the table Karlos
  • Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Not at the table Karlos said:

I may be wrong but I don’t think Marlowe goes thru waivers. He would have to choose to sign somewhere else on his own. Same with Roberts. 

Again not 100% positive on this but I’m pretty sure there’s a handshake deal. 

I dont think either Marlowe or Roberts are subject to waivers as vets with 4 or more seasons accrued. They have deals in place and will both re-sign today. They Want to be here....(that's so nice to say!)

• Like (+1) 1

Biggest surprise to me was Murphy.  Really thought they’d cut ties.  2nd biggest is Fromm — guy seemed to show nothing at camp by all reports.

Roberts was an initial surprise but then I realized it is only temporary and he’ll be back tonight.  Same for Marlowe.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Sad 1

16 minutes ago, eball said:

Biggest surprise to me was Murphy.  Really thought they’d cut ties.  2nd biggest is Fromm — guy seemed to show nothing at camp by all reports.

Roberts was an initial surprise but then I realized it is only temporary and he’ll be back tonight.  Same for Marlowe.

Honestly I'm dumbfounded about the hate Murphy gets... We saw Chris Kelsay stick for years with a fraction of the production and 100x the missed plays...

• Like (+1) 3

Just now, Sherlock Holmes said:

Honestly I'm dumbfounded about the hate Murphy gets... We saw Chris Kelsay stick for years with a fraction of the production and 100x the missed plays...

It’s not “hate” — it’s looking at production in light of the cap hit, and what savings they could roll over into 2021 by releasing him.  I understand why he was kept — he’s a “reliable” veteran and the Bills aren’t taking any chances this year — but I thought they’d go another direction.  It’s all good.

• Like (+1) 1

Marlowe surprised me because there are a few teams that need safety help/depth, so bringing him back, if that's the plan, may not work out. Also I think Fromm may have benefitted from the abbrevated off season and was given the benefit of the doubt that he will continue to develop.

Del'Shawn Phillips.

We didn't hear a PEEP about him in camp, and not a single Bills reporter had him making the 53-man roster.

For him to beat out last year's fifth round pick, Vosean Joseph, AND Corey Thompson (who has already proven he can play in this league)...he must have really had a great camp.

I'm excited to see him in action. Might be another "diamond in the rough" find from Beane the Wizard.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, eball said:

It’s not “hate” — it’s looking at production in light of the cap hit, and what savings they could roll over into 2021 by releasing him.  I understand why he was kept — he’s a “reliable” veteran and the Bills aren’t taking any chances this year — but I thought they’d go another direction.  It’s all good.

I would imagine he still wasn't 100% from his injuries last year...Here's hoping this year he is and he can show he is a double digit sack artist

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, twist_to_open said:

Marlowe surprised me because there are a few teams that need safety help/depth, so bringing him back, if that's the plan, may not work out. Also I think Fromm may have benefitted from the abbrevated off season and was given the benefit of the doubt that he will continue to develop.

My understanding is that Marlowe wants to be here and understood the plan.  He doesn’t have to clear waivers.  He will be back on the roster this afternoon.

Hard to say until the roster is actually finalized. Roberts and Marlowe will both be back. I'm guessing Fromm will be released if Webb clears waivers. Phillips is a surprise but I would also bet he doesn't make it through the season on the roster. Other than that it's pretty much what I expected.

4 hours ago, ProcessAccepted said:

Has to be Fromm. Never heard anything positive about him during training camp. All I heard was that he struggled. A good day for him seem to be when he didn't get mentioned.

Same here.

19 hours ago, CSBill said:

Planned resigning after roster moves were made today

• Like (+1) 1

12 hours ago, eball said:

My understanding is that Marlowe wants to be here and understood the plan.  He doesn’t have to clear waivers.  He will be back on the roster this afternoon.

What did the Bills gain by cutting and then resigning Roberts and Marlowe?

9 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

What did the Bills gain by cutting and then resigning Roberts and Marlowe?

It allowed them to keep Hodgins. If they IRed him he would be out for the season and if they waived him another team could have swiped him. Roberts and Marlowe not being subject to waivers allowed the Bills to use two roster spots for one day. With Feliciano, if he were put on IR before the cut down, he’d be out for the season, but now they can bring him back, I’m pretty sure anyways. It let the Bills play with two bonus spots for 24 hours. 

• Like (+1) 2

I was a little surprised they only kept three safeties as I expected four, but I’m sure one of the CB’s can fill in if necessary.  I would have Roberts cut, but he was already brought back, and lastly, I was sure they would cut Murphy for the cap savings.  I guess they are all in on winning and holding onto him for one last year.

Next year I’m assuming we move on from a minimum of Hughes, Kroft, and Murphy.

7 hours ago, MrEpsYtown said:

It allowed them to keep Hodgins. If they IRed him he would be out for the season and if they waived him another team could have swiped him. Roberts and Marlowe not being subject to waivers allowed the Bills to use two roster spots for one day. With Feliciano, if he were put on IR before the cut down, he’d be out for the season, but now they can bring him back, I’m pretty sure anyways. It let the Bills play with two bonus spots for 24 hours. 

Ahh...gotcha...I have no idea why the rules are set up like that so teams have to do this type of silliness...I think it's obvious every team in the league probably circumvents the rule with moves similar to what the Bills have done so why don't they just get rid of the rule??

Kind of surprised no one mentioned Gilliam in particular since they are now calling him a TE, not a FB??  Hard to choose though between Gilliam, Phillips, and maybe Fromm.  Actually I expected Fromm to be cut on Sunday after they got Webb onto the PS, but that didn't happen either.

As to players who didn't get cut probably Murphy stands out there.  But still could be cut before Saturday after that I believe his salary becomes guaranteed?

Without a true FB on the roster what do they really lose if instead they were to line up Singletary and Moss together in the backfield.  Couldn't Moss easily fill that role with his build and supposedly he's a decent blocker?

I do wonder too if not having a true FB, will that open up another active game day spot for Yeldon?  Maybe will come down to Yeldon or Gilliam being active and would think the edge would go to Yeldon at least for the first few weeks of the season as Gilliam is still in the deep learning mode.