S Derwin James to miss significant time again! Torn Meniscus in knee...(out 6-8 months)

Big Turk

1 hour ago, matter2003 said:

Such a phenomenal player when healthy...but he can't seem to stay healthy...going to miss significant time again this year after missing all of last year...

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/report-chargers-derwin-james-miss-224900359.html

Happened to Bob Sanders too. 2 full seasons and 2 first team all pros. Every other year he was hurt.  Polamalu also always seemed to have lingering issues, not quite the same but u wonder what might have been

Edited by dneveu
  • Like (+1) 2

He’s been good when healthy, but with that pass rush I think a lot of players would look pretty good back there. What makes him on the cusp of elite status is his ability to wreak some havoc close to the line. Sucks to see young players missing big chunks of time 

7 hours ago, Ethan in Portland said:

Some of it has to be PEDs. Some is just bad luck

I mean. a lot are just freak injuries.  Then other injuries kind of happen after that.  You tear ur achilles and then you're significantly more likely to tear the other, or to suffer muscle tissue injuries etc.  

A lot of these guys spend a ton of time in the gym too building strength muscles.  But I'm not sure enough of them spend enough time on flexibility.  I remember seeing a diggs workout and everyone was ribbing him on social media, but an actual trainer said - he's building functional strength for his position, not just getting huge...

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

16 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

He came back toward the end of last year I think. Bills don’t play them until end of November unfortunately so he should be back. He’s a game changer on their D for sure 

Knee injuries are no joke and in the cold of November I doubt he will be 100%. I sprained my knee playing hockey 6 months ago and it took two months just to get back to normal running and I have to use a brace now. A tear is wayy worse and the activities and abuse football players do is not a good thing for knees.

15 hours ago, dneveu said:

Happened to Bob Sanders too. 2 full seasons and 2 first team all pros. Every other year he was hurt.  Polamalu also always seemed to have lingering issues, not quite the same but u wonder what might have been

8 Pro Bowls, 4 All Pros, 158 games in 12 seasons.

23 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

He came back toward the end of last year I think. Bills don’t play them until end of November unfortunately so he should be back. He’s a game changer on their D for sure 

Not so fast...

• Like (+1) 1

I’m sorry for this guy.  It’s heartbreaking to keep trying at something, and keep getting hurt.  As far as the PED comment, I never read anything about him getting suspended for PED’s so if just a guess, ok.  PED’s can encourage injuries, but I don’t want to accuse someone of something if they didn’t do it.  I’ve seen a lot of injuries over the years of guys on PED’s blowing out shoulders, knees, etc.

37 minutes ago, machine gun kelly said:

I’m sorry for this guy.  It’s heartbreaking to keep trying at something, and keep getting hurt.  As far as the PED comment, I never read anything about him getting suspended for PED’s so if just a guess, ok.  PED’s can encourage injuries, but I don’t want to accuse someone of something if they didn’t do it.  I’ve seen a lot of injuries over the years of guys on PED’s blowing out shoulders, knees, etc.

It happens because the muscles become bigger and stronger quickly but the tendons and ligaments supporting them do not. So you have a much greater force now being able to be applied without the body being ready to handle that and injuries are the result.

3 hours ago, eball said:

Really hate it for Derwin.  Such a good player.  Removes another obstacle from KC’s path to repeat.

The Chargers were never going to be an obstacle like that anyway.

3 hours ago, matter2003 said:

It happens because the muscles become bigger and stronger quickly but the tendons and ligaments supporting them do not. So you have a much greater force now being able to be applied without the body being ready to handle that and injuries are the result.

Matter, I know as I was a national level power lifter, held the deadlift national record, and yes Although I went in untested meets, I was at the top in tested meets.  I saw guy after guy in the untested group blow out all kinds of joints, ligaments, tendons, meniscus over and over again.  I’ve seen one guy have a compound fracture in his tibia and fibula while trying to squat 920lbs, and then god the three spotters were able to catch the bar as he would have died if not.  People were vomiting everywhere it was so disgusting.  I’ve also seen another guy completely rip both of his biceps from his and fly up to his shoulder because he was dumb enough on a deadlift, to think he should somewhat shrug the deadlift.

Both guys were juicing on steroids, and HGH.  I felt bad for them as they both had from what friends of friends DS told me life changing injuries.  It is terrible and if Derwin, did this, which is a big if as I don’t know, then he learned a terrible lesson.  The problem if this was tru is they are so desperate to get back or get an edge, they don’t realize the serious damage they can do to themselves.

Thankfully my parents raised me to not cheat as I always in football, wrestling and power lifting never took a thing other than creatine, amd later learned that was bad on renal functioning.  God looked over me as I’m healthy.

23 minutes ago, machine gun kelly said:

Matter, I know as I was a national level power lifter, held the deadlift national record, and yes Although I went in untested meets, I was at the top in tested meets.  I saw guy after guy in the untested group blow out all kinds of joints, ligaments, tendons, meniscus over and over again.  I’ve seen one guy have a compound fracture in his tibia and fibula while trying to squat 920lbs, and then god the three spotters were able to catch the bar as he would have died if not.  People were vomiting everywhere it was so disgusting.  I’ve also seen another guy completely rip both of his biceps from his and fly up to his shoulder because he was dumb enough on a deadlift, to think he should somewhat shrug the deadlift.

Both guys were juicing on steroids, and HGH.  I felt bad for them as they both had from what friends of friends DS told me life changing injuries.  It is terrible and if Derwin, did this, which is a big if as I don’t know, then he learned a terrible lesson.  The problem if this was tru is they are so desperate to get back or get an edge, they don’t realize the serious damage they can do to themselves.

Thankfully my parents raised me to not cheat as I always in football, wrestling and power lifting never took a thing other than creatine, amd later learned that was bad on renal functioning.  God looked over me as I’m healthy.

Damn that's impressive! I thought about competing because I worked up to deadlifitng and squatting some serious weight that put me in the elite category based on the charts I saw for my weight but I ended up hurting myself on all my PRs so I dialed it down...got my Big 3 up to 1420 lbs at 185 lbs which is pretty decent for a non competitive lifter at 41 years old but I couldn't do anything close to that now. Highest DL I had was 565 and I used to do 5 sets of 12 with a minute rest in between with 355 lbs...talk about seeing the white light...hahaha

Edited by matter2003

Matter, that’s awesome.  I didn’t give my totals as I wasn’t making it about me, just I can relate to you’re comments if the guy really did take the stuff.  Send me a pm and happy to chat about it, but very good on you’re part.  People who haven’t pulled or pushed that kind of weight don’t know how hard and how much skill is involved as they typically think it’s just about being a muscle head.  Couldn’t be farther from the truth on the team I was on back in the day.  They were relentless on technique and it paid off.  

Have a great Day bud.