Bengals plan to tag AJ Green

Virgil

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/28815686/bengals-plan-franchise-tag-receiver-aj-green-sources-tell-espn

This should be interesting.  I personally believe his injury last season was BS and he was just done with the team.   So, a part of me likes him having to be tied to them a little longer since he didn’t honor his last year.  

On the flip side, I see a massive hold out and nothing positive come of this for the Bengals

• Like (+1) 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I just don't get it for the Bengals.

This guy was a good soldier for the Bengals for years. He's 31 years old and the team is clearly in rebuilding mode. Why not reward him by freeing him to pursue a team that is in the hunt for a championship? 

Not only that, but once the "rebuilding" writing was on the wall, they could have traded him and actually reaped some value. Going into next season, instead of a 31 year old AJ Green, they could have, say a 2nd round pick in a stacked WR draft.

I just don't get it. Can't imagine Green's happy about it, either.

• Like (+1) 9

3 minutes ago, Virgil said:

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/28815686/bengals-plan-franchise-tag-receiver-aj-green-sources-tell-espn

This should be interesting.  I personally believe his injury last season was BS and he was just done with the team.   So, a part of me likes him having to be tied to them a little longer since he didn’t honor his last year.  

On the flip side, I see a massive hold out and nothing positive come of this for the Bengals

So much for that outside chance the Bills might land him, not that there was much of a chance of it actually happening.

6 minutes ago, Virgil said:

This should be interesting.  I personally believe his injury last season was BS and he was just done with the team.   

What makes you think that? I always viewed Green as a stand-up guy and good teammate.  Never really heard him complain about being in Cincy too, though maybe I am wrong.

• Thank you (+1) 1

They should have traded him for picks, with the 3rd rounder they would have gotten for him this year, the WR they could draft would be better then him in 2 years anyways and the cheapskate owner would have saved money

• Like (+1) 3

9 minutes ago, Logic said:

This guy was a good soldier for the Bengals for years. He's 31 years old and the team is clearly in rebuilding mode. Why not reward him by freeing him to pursue a team that is in the hunt for a championship? 

Not only that, but once the "rebuilding" writing was on the wall, they could have traded him and actually reaped some value. Going into next season, instead of a 31 year old AJ Green, they could have, say a 2nd round pick in a stacked WR draft.

Mike Brown

• Like (+1) 1

Could be they are trying to trade him still now that he's tagged.  But still leaves Green with Leverage as he can refuse to go to a team that wants him, though likely any team that goes after him would be a playoff caliper team so good change he'd be OK with it.  He can also sign the tag and kind of handcuff the Bengels as then he has $18mil committed to him.  Or they could wait until May or so and rescind the tag which would tend to hang out Green to dry as by then teams don't have as much money left to afford him.

11 minutes ago, Logic said:

They might not view themselves as rebuilding. They went 0-8 in one score games last year and Burrow is capable of stepping in and being good from Day 1.

And obviously they want to put Burrow in a situation to succeed, so having AJ Green helps in that regard (assuming he stays healthy which obviously isn't a given).

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, BarleyNY said:

$18.5M to franchise tag a WR this season.  Fully guaranteed.  Wow.  

It’s the Bengally thing to do.

Do they hope to trade him for more than the comp pic they would get? No wonder they don’t have fans. 

AJ feels his hammy getting tight as we speak.....

Edited by Augie
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, BarleyNY said:

$18.5M to franchise tag a WR this season.  Fully guaranteed.  Wow.  

For a guy who has played 1 game in Cincy's last 24 games. 1 catch for 7 yards in the last season and a half. By the time the season opener comes around it will be almost 2 years since he had a meaningful game.

• Like (+1) 1

Sign the deal. Take their money. Handicap their salary cap situation... it's ridiculous he's being tagged... spite or stupidity.

It's the perfect revenge for A.J. Green. Nobody is going to sweat him "being injured" throughout the season outside of Bengals fans. Screw Brown!

Edited by EasternOHBillsFan
  • Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, EasternOHBillsFan said:

Sign the deal. Take their money. Handicap their salary cap situation... it's ridiculous he's being tagged... spite or stupidity.

It's the perfect revenge for A.J. Green. Nobody is going to sweat him "being injured" throughout the season outside of Bengals fans. Screw Brown!

If the reports are to be believed, he wants to be in Cinci and wants to iron out a long-term deal with them.

42 minutes ago, Virgil said:

Uh, most teams in the NFL don’t let all their quality recievers walk out the door when they bring in a young QB who needs to learn. You must have LOVED the Jordan Matthews Andre Holmes era for Josh. 

40 minutes ago, Logic said:

See above.