Bengals plan to tag AJ Green

Virgil

19 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

What great organization is going to pony up 32 million to get a few games out of Green for 2 years?

Pass.  

A team that is comfortable with his ankle being healed and doesn't want to make a long term commitment.  

At some point we have to commit to acquiring top end WR talent.  Teams over pay for WR's all the time because they're so difficult to get.  Green will have a large market for his services (if he's not franchised) and it's not going to be for under $10 mil a year.  

1 minute ago, White Linen said:

A team that is comfortable with his ankle being healed and doesn't want to make a long term commitment.  

At some point we have to commit to acquiring top end WR talent.  Teams over pay for WR's all the time because they're so difficult to get.  Green will have a large market for his services (if he's not franchised) and it's not going to be for under $10 mil a year.  

I'm not saying desperate teams don't make desperate moves.  Those aren't great organizations, typically.  Great ones won't have to wonder if an AJ Green's ankles is healed.

2 hours ago, DCOrange said:

They might not view themselves as rebuilding. They went 0-8 in one score games last year and Burrow is capable of stepping in and being good from Day 1.

And obviously they want to put Burrow in a situation to succeed, so having AJ Green helps in that regard (assuming he stays healthy which obviously isn't a given).

This is a good point too. They have solid skill position players and could theoretically turn it around with Burrow. They are going to need some better OL play though.

1 hour ago, DCOrange said:

Phillips would likely sign the tag immediately. AJ will not.

I'm fine with that. Bring him back on a one year deal. Overpaying for one year with $80M to spend is fine.  Bringing back Phillips won't prevent Bills from signing a WR or a DE in free agency.  Just don;t make the mistake of a long term commitment to Phillips and they will be fine.  

5 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

I'm not saying desperate teams don't make desperate moves.  Those aren't great organizations, typically.  Great ones won't have to wonder if an AJ Green's ankles is healed.

AJ Green is far from a desperation acquisition.  Great one's will or have investigated if his ankle is healed.  

Players like him don't come available often and if he hits free agency, he'll have several strong organizations going after him.  

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, White Linen said:

At his age now and his injuries I wouldn’t pay him anymore than 10-15 mil tops. He’s not worth more than that now at his age

6 minutes ago, BillsFan2313 said:

I need more nuggets on this. We had a trade for him and Brown nixed it?

There have been multiple hints that the trade was oh so close.

• Like (+1) 1

31 minutes ago, White Linen said:

AJ Green is far from a desperation acquisition.  Great one's will or have investigated if his ankle is healed.  

Players like him don't come available often and if he hits free agency, he'll have several strong organizations going after him.  

Great teams will suspect perhaps he could have played last season.  

They will wonder about his motivation after getting 32 million for 2 years.

9 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Great teams will suspect perhaps he could have played last season.  

They will wonder about his motivation after getting 32 million for 2 years.

Obviously we differ - which is perfectly fine.  I just don't think teams think that way about Green.  I can definitely see a team like the Steelers, Seahawks, Patriots, Colts and Chiefs (if they let Sammy go) being interested with little concern about his motivation if he makes good money.  

We should be in on a player like Green if he becomes available and I suspect we will.  

• Like (+1) 2

5 hours ago, JR in Pittsburgh said:

What makes you think that? I always viewed Green as a stand-up guy and good teammate.  Never really heard him complain about being in Cincy too, though maybe I am wrong.

He was supposed to get activated multiple times this past season and a few of the times it came from AJ, not the doctors that he wasn’t ready. 

In my opinion, it all came off very similar to the Trent Williams “injury” but Green wasn’t as vocal.  However, there were a lot of leaks out of his camp that seemed to validate what I posted.  

But yes, I could be wrong 

• Thank you (+1) 2

23 minutes ago, BuffaloRebound said:

Bengals know he has trade value and don’t want to let him walk for nothing.  Swap pick 22 for 33 get it done?  Beane has to get Josh some more weapons on offense.  Green let’s Beane go BPA and not chase a WR in round 1.  

Beane won't chase a WR in round 1 if the value isn't there.  If anything, he could piss off everyone and not take one until Rd. 3 or 4.

7 hours ago, BringBackOrton said:

Uh, most teams in the NFL don’t let all their quality recievers walk out the door when they bring in a young QB who needs to learn. You must have LOVED the Jordan Matthews Andre Holmes era for Josh. 

See above.

Big difference here man.  They have boys and eifert.  They already have weapons and could draft another stud in round 2.   

4 hours ago, White Linen said:

Obviously we differ - which is perfectly fine.  I just don't think teams think that way about Green.  I can definitely see a team like the Steelers, Seahawks, Patriots, Colts and Chiefs (if they let Sammy go) being interested with little concern about his motivation if he makes good money.  

We should be in on a player like Green if he becomes available and I suspect we will.  

Brady to green reminds me of brady to moss.  (If brady stays he will end up there) Everyone thought moss's best days were behind him too...then came 47 tds in 3 years including 23 in one.  Dont sleep on aj

6 minutes ago, Hebert19 said:

Big difference here man.  They have boys and eifert.  They already have weapons and could draft another stud in round 2.   

Brady to green reminds me of brady to moss.  (If brady stays he will end up there) Everyone thought moss's best days were behind him too...then came 47 tds in 3 years including 23 in one.  Dont sleep on aj

Ah yes, Eifert the reliable weapon. 37 starts in 7 years. Certainly will be a dependable target for Burrow over 16 games next year. Lol

This is probably the right move for the Bengals. Sure he’s older and injury prone, and the tag # is high, but it’s really more about investing in the future because it will help Burrow out of the gate. And green is a good teammate and locker room guy. 

• Like (+1) 1

We've had 11 guys eclipse 1,000 yds receiving in the last 20 years and we wouldn't be interested in Green.  That's just hilarious to me.  

We're so good we don't need someone who's done it 6 of his 9 years.  Nah we're good on offense, we'll just find someone better, hahahahaha. 

10 minutes ago, White Linen said:

We've had 11 guys eclipse 1,000 yds receiving in the last 20 years and we wouldn't be interested in Green.  That's just hilarious to me.  

We're so good we don't need someone who's done it 6 of his 9 years.  Nah we're good on offense, we'll just find someone better, hahahahaha. 

We’re just gonna draft one of those blue chip WR’s in the 5th round man.

1 hour ago, YoloinOhio said:

This is probably the right move for the Bengals. Sure he’s older and injury prone, and the tag # is high, but it’s really more about investing in the future because it will help Burrow out of the gate. And green is a good teammate and locker room guy. 

Exactly. You don’t have to tank and gut a roster because you’re drafting a QB. Giving him some reliable targets and consistency is worth more than 1 year of cap space. 

On the other hand, if you wanna watch your rookie QB run around in circles and get sacked 50 times, trade everybody and get him a Zay Jones and Kelvin Benjamin. 

Edited by BringBackOrton