Bengals plan to tag AJ Green

Virgil

10 hours ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

Could be they are trying to trade him still now that he's tagged.  But still leaves Green with Leverage as he can refuse to go to a team that wants him, though likely any team that goes after him would be a playoff caliper team so good change he'd be OK with it.  He can also sign the tag and kind of handcuff the Bengels as then he has $18mil committed to him.  Or they could wait until May or so and rescind the tag which would tend to hang out Green to dry as by then teams don't have as much money left to afford him.

Hard to believe the tag is up to 18m for receivers.

Just a few years ago Whaley dumped Robert Woods because he wanted 7m.   He got it elsewhere and knocked out over 3,000 yards in three seasons. 

In case you forgot he was the guy that went 13 for 172 yds in week 13 and killed my fantasy hopes.  im almost over that though.....

11 hours ago, BringBackOrton said:

Uh, most teams in the NFL don’t let all their quality recievers walk out the door when they bring in a young QB who needs to learn. You must have LOVED the Jordan Matthews Andre Holmes era for Josh. 

See above.

Jordan Matthews was not on the team at the same time as Josh.

Besides, why not trade for Diggs who has a $14.4 mil. Contract for the next four years, he’s younger, healthier, very good, and the Vikings with some of his comments last year might be willing to entertain a trade.  They have the third least cap space at around $5 mil. and probably want some cheap labor.  We have 5 draft picks in the fifth and sixth round to use in some part as barter.

My vote is Diggs over Green fwiw.

9 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

Need Beane to get creative and find a #1 via trade....

I think they probably figured this was coming. I’m sure they’ve learned that Mike Brown won’t let a good player leave even if it’s best for him.

So I am pretty confident that they know their plan for the WR position.

• Like (+1) 1

I've not been a fan of the "Bring AJ Green to the Bills" banner since it started earlier last season. I know he's gifted and in his prime he was great, but as it's been rehearsed ad nauseum here on the board, injuries and age just don't make it palatable in my mind. Cooper doesn't want to be in Buffalo and some of the other scheduled FAs look decent, but not "great". I think the Bills sign a couple mid-to-low level FAs (unless they trade for one) and Draft their most pressing skilled position of need in the 1st or 2nd round. I'm not a fan of 1st Round WRs, but this might be the year - IF Beane does everything else in FA. 

Here's Spotrac's list of WR FAs:

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/all/wide-receiver/

12 hours ago, BuffaloRebound said:

Bengals know he has trade value and don’t want to let him walk for nothing.  Swap pick 22 for 33 get it done?  Beane has to get Josh some more weapons on offense.  Green let’s Beane go BPA and not chase a WR in round 1.  

So...you want to trade away a 1st round pick for an $18.75M 1 yr rental of a 32 year old WR who played 9 games in 2018, 0 in 2019?  Basically played 1 full season in the last 4 years?

I don't see Beane going for that.  If nothing else, it's a "we're 1 player away, this is Our Year" type move.

Yes, I’d trade what would be a 3rd round equivalent for green.  And I might still end up getting a similar player at pick 33 as pick 22.  I just don’t think you can rely on a rookie to improve the offense next year.  And I don’t see a repeat trip to the playoffs without improving the offense.  

11 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

So...you want to trade away a 1st round pick for an $18.75M 1 yr rental of a 32 year old WR who played 9 games in 2018, 0 in 2019?  Basically played 1 full season in the last 4 years?

I don't see Beane going for that.  If nothing else, it's a "we're 1 player away, this is Our Year" type move.

How about for Diggs?

would you trade 22 for Diggs?

6 minutes ago, Joe in Winslow said:

How about for Diggs?

would you trade 22 for Diggs?

Oooh.  How about 22 and something back - 2nd or 3rd round?

Diggs has played 15 games and gained over 1000 yds the last 2 seasons.  He's 26 and locked up under contract for the next 4 years.  He's a stud.

The snag is that he's made it clear that he wants more money.

Essentially we could be trading a 1st for a guy who wants Tyreek Hill or OBJ $$, which seems steep.

I'd trade a 2nd round pick in a heartbeat.  1st round, I think I want something back in those circs.

1 minute ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Oooh.  How about 22 and something back - 2nd or 3rd round?

Diggs has played 15 games and gained over 1000 yds the last 2 seasons.  He's 26 and locked up under contract for the next 4 years.  He's a stud.

The snag is that he's made it clear that he wants more money.

Essentially we could be trading a 1st for a guy who wants Tyreek Hill or OBJ $$, which seems steep.

I'd trade a 2nd round pick in a heartbeat.  1st round, I think I want something back in those circs.

I'd do it in a heartbeat. He's a known commodity, and I don't like the Bills options at 22.

Heard talk that the Bills might be interested at bringing him in but at the price he's asking i'm not sure the risk would be worth the reward Beane would have to work some real magic into that contract in order for it to be a possibility & i'm thinking AJ wants to make 1 more big haul before he calls it

quits !! 

Edited by T master

On 3/1/2020 at 1:44 PM, Logic said:

I just don't get it for the Bengals.

This guy was a good soldier for the Bengals for years. He's 31 years old and the team is clearly in rebuilding mode. Why not reward him by freeing him to pursue a team that is in the hunt for a championship? 

Not only that, but once the "rebuilding" writing was on the wall, they could have traded him and actually reaped some value. Going into next season, instead of a 31 year old AJ Green, they could have, say a 2nd round pick in a stacked WR draft.

I just don't get it. Can't imagine Green's happy about it, either.

They still can. They can tag and do not need to accept a 1st round pick to trade him.  This is negotiable.

On 3/1/2020 at 3:16 PM, John from Riverside said:

Well I’m not giving a 1st round pick for him so

No certainly not a 1st.

On 3/1/2020 at 3:14 PM, billsbackto81 said:

I can see Green sitting out if he's tagged. It's basically a one year "prove you're healthy" deal for a guy who has nothing to prove as a 7x PB'er. Plus, he'll be one year older which hurts his chances when he's a FA in landing a beneficial final contract. Beane should offer a 3rd, maybe a 2nd if he passes a physical convincingly.

A 2nd is doable IF it is a clean bill of health and he can demonstrate he is in football shape.  I think Bengals want him out of AFC North preferably in NFC.