Bengals plan to tag AJ Green

Virgil

Franchise tag doesn’t mean much. 
They are either signing him long term or trading him still. I don’t think there’s a chance he plays that year out on the tag and possibly has no market next season. Financially he has to be paid this year or he loses a ton of money next year. And if he’s injured this season again his market will be almost nothing. 

• Like (+1) 1

I say its a huge smoke screen, the Bengals are attempting to raise trade value which is no more then a 3rd.

The Bengals are a rebuilding team and you don't lay out 18 mill to a 32 yr old WR that sat out the entire 2019 season

Makes no sense at all...

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, HOUSE said:

I say its a huge smoke screen, the Bengals are attempting to raise trade value which is no more then a 3rd.

The Bengals are a rebuilding team and you don't lay out 18 mill to a 32 yr old WR that sat out the entire 2019 season

Makes no sense at all...

It could be a smoke screen, but keeping him makes a lot of sense.

• Like (+1) 1

Tag and trade.  Mike Brown is too cheap to pay him and wants to get something / anything for him.   

I'd offer a mid-round pick and see if he bites, although I'm not sure Green has much left in the tank...

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Reed83HOF said:

They should have traded him for picks, with the 3rd rounder they would have gotten for him this year, the WR they could draft would be better then him in 2 years anyways and the cheapskate owner would have saved money

I was hopeing the Bills wouldn't give up anything more than a 4th and only give him 3 years. Too much a risk for long term

3 minutes ago, Ethan in Portland said:

This is what the Bills need to do more. They need to weaponize the tag. I have advocated tagging J. Phillips to have some control of the situation. 

Phillips would likely sign the tag immediately. AJ will not.

31 minutes ago, BringBackOrton said:

Uh, most teams in the NFL don’t let all their quality recievers walk out the door when they bring in a young QB who needs to learn. You must have LOVED the Jordan Matthews Andre Holmes era for Josh. 

See above.

Right. 

Except if you actually READ what I posted above, it stated that I felt it would be more prudent to TRADE AJ Green, not let him walk out the door. This way, they could bring in a blue chip WR prospect from this stacked draft class to grow alongside Burrow, instead of hanging on in vein to a 31-year-old receiver coming off of a foot injury who possibly doesn't want to be there any more.

Trading Green wouldn't leave the cupboard bare, either. Tyler Boyd is a 1,000 yard receiver, and recent 1st rounder John Ross had 500 yards in 8 games before getting injured last year. 

But please continue to condescend to everyone.

15 minutes ago, Lurker said:

Tag and trade.  Mike Brown is too cheap to pay him and wants to get something / anything for him.   

I'd offer a mid-round pick and see if he bites, although I'm not sure Green has much left in the tank...

Mike Brown is the reason that AJ Green isn’t a Bill.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Happy Gilmore said:

Not surprised.  AJ Green is a good security blanket for a rookie QB.  They'll keep AJ for a year then get rid of him.

I can see Green sitting out if he's tagged. It's basically a one year "prove you're healthy" deal for a guy who has nothing to prove as a 7x PB'er. Plus, he'll be one year older which hurts his chances when he's a FA in landing a beneficial final contract. Beane should offer a 3rd, maybe a 2nd if he passes a physical convincingly.

18 minutes ago, Logic said:

Right. 

Except if you actually READ what I posted above, it stated that I felt it would be more prudent to TRADE AJ Green, not let him walk out the door. This way, they could bring in a blue chip WR prospect from this stacked draft class to grow alongside Burrow, instead of hanging on in vein to a 31-year-old receiver coming off of a foot injury who possibly doesn't want to be there any more.

Trading Green wouldn't leave the cupboard bare, either. Tyler Boyd is a 1,000 yard receiver, and recent 1st rounder John Ross had 500 yards in 8 games before getting injured last year. 

But please continue to condescend to everyone.

A blue chip prospect with a 2nd round pick? Hell, why are we so concerned about getting a good WR at 22 if there are blue chips in the second? What’s your definition of a blue chip prospect? A guy who is going to be drafted?

Tyler Boyd and John Ross aren’t AJ Green, but you knew that already. Jordan Matthews had about 1000 yards too, once upon a time.

Edited by BringBackOrton

30 minutes ago, Lurker said:

He’s not a tag and trade candidate with a one year, $18.5M fully guaranteed contract.  That’s negative trade value.  I think House is probably right.  They’re probably just trying to spark the trade market and get something - anything - for him.  

7 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Who else is going to pay an aging injured (or dogging it) WR 18 million a year?

I wouldn't go quite that high but I'd gladly give him a 2 year - 30-32 mil deal.  WR is the most difficult position to fill in the NFL past QB, IMO.  I think older short term players are the answer with our cap situation.  It gives us an opportunity to fill some voids without long term commitments and draft their replacements now.  I think that's how the great organizations do it.  

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, White Linen said:

I wouldn't go quite that high but I'd gladly give him a 2 year - 30-32 mil deal.  WR is the most difficult position to fill in the NFL past QB, IMO.  I think older short term players are the answer with our cap situation.  It gives us an opportunity to fill some voids without long term commitments and draft their replacements now.  I think that's how the great organizations do it.  

What great organization is going to pony up 32 million to get a few games out of Green for 2 years?

Pass.  

I hope Green makes it known that he will not play under the tag and that they need to trade him if they won't pay him.

He's the perfect fit for this team if he's past the injuries, which I imagine so since he basically sat out to preserve his health.

Well so much for getting him here to Buffalo lol. Honestly though we need to get younger and faster  at that position, Green is getting old and his age is showing by the number of injuries he’s already sustained. AJ green 3-4 years ago I would’ve said for sure go get him. I’d hate for us to get him only to end up being disappointed.

Edited by BuffaloBills1998