Bills at Texans Playoff Game, Saturday 4:35 pm

wppete

In order to win, in priority:

1) Cover Hopkins close and contain Watson.

2)  Dumboll unleashes Allen to have options on virtually every play.
NO more Vanilla- it’s the f******** Playoffs!

3) And have 6-3 Dooooook in the lineup at TE.
4) Singletary gets 15 touches, some running, some as Thurman Thomas resurrected.

Houston has some talent, Hopkins foremost, but I have lots of confidence.

19 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

Yep... And I think the argument can be made that of all those playoff teams you have to go down the list to the Ravens to find a team that is the better all around team. 

On the AFC side? No. KC is also better.

On the NFC side? San Fran & N.O. have much more talent.

GB has slightly more talent.

Minny is about Even.

Fortunately, the Bills only play one of them, at the END! ?

Edited by Billsatlastin2018
  • Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Billsatlastin2018 said:

In order to win, in priority:

1) Cover Hopkins close and contain Watson.

2)  Dumboll unleashes Allen to have options on virtually every play.
NO more Vanilla- it’s the f******** Playoffs!

3) And have 6-3 Dooooook in the lineup at TE.
4) Singletary gets 15 touches, some running, some as Thurman Thomas resurrected.

Houston has some talent, Hopkins foremost, but I have lots of confidence.

its funny that you think Allen hasn't had options on virtually every play. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, Billsatlastin2018 said:

On the AFC side? No. KC is also better.

On the NFC side? San Fran & N.O. have much more talent.

GB has slightly more talent.

Minny is about Even.

Fortunately, the Bilks only play one if them, at the END! ?

You missed the context of the conversation... Based on the cap availability list next year, where the bills are ranked #4 in the league (with the most space of any playoff team) the next playoff team with as well put together of a roster is, I believe, the Ravens, who are ranked #17. I would say our roster overall is better than the Texans, Seahawks, and Titans.

Several of the other playoff teams have well rounded rosters, few have anywhere near the cap space that we have. 

58 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

An interesting side tidbit that is super impressive... 

3 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

You missed the context of the conversation... Based on the cap availability list next year, where the bills are ranked #4 in the league (with the most space of any playoff team) the next playoff team with as well put together of a roster is, I believe, the Ravens, who are ranked #17. I would say our roster overall is better than the Texans, Seahawks, and Titans.

Several of the other playoff teams have well rounded rosters, few have anywhere near the cap space that we have. 

I did.

While the possibilities are certainly there, I’m (after all these miserable, dysfunctional, stupid years) of the ‘Show Me Only’ variety.

Let’s see in 2020, what they get for what they’ve paid!

• Like (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, PaattMaann said:

its funny that you think Allen hasn't had options on virtually every play. 

It's also funny that he wants our practice squad receiver to play tight end for the very first time in his life, on the road, in a playoff game. Yikes.

• Like (+1) 3

1 minute ago, Billsatlastin2018 said:

I did.

While the possibilities are certainly there, I’m (after all these miserable, dysfunctional, stupid years) of the ‘Show Me Only’ variety.

Let’s see in 2020, what they get for what they’ve paid!

I'm there with you for sure. Definitely optimistic though... They've built a contending team before even getting to the depth of the rebuild. I like it!

21 minutes ago, Logic said:

It's also funny that he wants our practice squad receiver to play tight end for the very first time in his life, on the road, in a playoff game. Yikes.

Yes - that is funny. The time for experimentation with players trying positions that they have never played in the NFL before is called the "Off-Season". If the possibility of success with the experiment looks promising, then the experiment can extend into the "Pre-Season". If it then looks viable it can be implemented in the "Regular Season". The idea of skipping all the appropriate steps & implementing such a course of action in the "Playoffs" is charitably described as "funny" (crazy might be a better word). .      

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

re: the Edmunds stat...

As one of the draft analysts said right after we selected him in the 2018 draft: “The kid’s a super-freak, A SUPER FREAK!!!”

I thought it was Deion Sanders but I may be wrong on that.

• Like (+1) 1

4. John Clayton calls Bills-Texans the best matchup of Wild Card weekend

John Clayton broke down eight big questions for the first round of the NFL playoffs for The Washington Post. Within it he predicts the Bills and Texans to have the best matchup.

That’s easily the Saturday afternoon game between the Buffalo Bills and Houston Texans. The Texans are an unpredictable team. They can play great at times, but then they’ll get blown out by 34 points against the Baltimore Ravens or lose by 14 to the Denver Broncos.

https://www.buffalobills.com/news/what-they-re-saying-nfl-analysts-are-optimistic-about-the-bills-chances-in-the-p

Pulled this off a Texans Message Board:

doing some light skim work yesterday and I noticed an uncomfortable trend with Buffalo and Josh Allen in particular. Allen has played a defense rated no less than 12 over the last 6 weeks and played well. There is some jostling in terms of pure passing defense, but when I look at the last game where he faced a "bad" defense (MIA week 11) he absolutely lit them up (4 total TDs). I wonder if RAC is going to be able to pull another rabbit out of his hat. Buffalo has a suspect offensive line in terms of pass protection. Run block grades are more favorable. Geez everything I look at in terms of matchup and strength vs weakness regressions it looks like more and more that Buffalo should win this game.

Their offense is not a juggernaut by any means, add in a young QB in his first playoff game and the experience factor may come into play - BUT this is set up for the classic "game manager" situation. Buffalo has a top NFL defense. It is legit. You will have a hard time passing against them. Ed Oliver is going to feast inside especially coming home keep an eye on him. I'm not sure what Obrien has cooked up, but Im going to guess it will be a heavy dose of Carlos Hyde. It would make the most sense since that might be this teams "weakness" ranked outside the top 10 in run defense. In terms of SACKS Buffalo doesnt get home as much as some of the other top defensive units, so they rely on lockdown DBs and succeed for the most part. It will be interesting to see the T2T leader in Watson matched up with a less than stellar pass rush, OBrien wont be able to rely on "hero ball" with his receivers. He MUST scheme some wrinkles into the game plan.

I'm surprised HOU is a 3.5 point favorite honestly. If I still threw money at the wall to see what would stick, I'd be all over the UNDER in this game.

This is probably the most magnified coaching performance Bill O'Brien will have ever been in. Many Texan fans still have the INDY game fresh in their minds. I'm sure everyone learned from that right? Will O'Brien be out coached again? His playoff scoring offense is 12 points per game!!!

If the Houston Texan offense comes out slow, lethargic (the usual) this will be over by halftime. You cant expect the defense to hold. Beasley and Brown will have a big games. You have to keep up with them.

I dont even know how to take a guess on final score. Which Houston team will show up? So many question marks.

https://www.texanstalk.com/threads/wildcard-round-bills-at-texans.114838/

This feels like a really favorable match-up for us, but my BBFS is raging... 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

39 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

Whoever wrote that is a bigger Bills fan than some of the "Bills fans," who post here!

• Like (+1) 5
  • Haha (+1) 6
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

42 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

Seems like a really reasonable take and I pretty much agree with it. Also think Beasley will have a big game along with Brown, but I think Beasley gives the Texans the biggest problem.

8 minutes ago, BillsMafi$ said:

Just wondering if this was an early season game those players would be ruled out 

Probably some of them.  I would imagine in the playoffs people will play more banged up then they normally would.  Look at Watt... a torn pec is said to take 4-6 months to heal and it could take up to year to have full strength back.  Watt tore his pec like 2 months ago?

• Like (+1) 2

20 minutes ago, BillsMafi$ said:

Just wondering if this was an early season game those players would be ruled out 

10 minutes ago, Scott7975 said:

Probably some of them.  I would imagine in the playoffs people will play more banged up then they normally would.  Look at Watt... a torn pec is said to take 4-6 months to heal and it could take up to year to have full strength back.  Watt tore his pec like 2 months ago?

to add to what Scott said ... 

they will play injured and possible risk their careers as well.   Look at when RGIII was playing hurt in DC.  It ruined his career there and got Shanny fired. 

If it wasn't for Lamar in Baltimore RGIII wouldn't be a turnkey replacement and do well.  

16 minutes ago, SlimShady'sGhost said:

Despite JJ being a 3 time DPOY, Fuller is the one I fear more. Putting a sure handed burner opposite Hopkins with our starting CB nursing a bum ankle is downright frightening. Watson has a big arm and hits those two with accuracy downfield.

6 minutes ago, MiltonWaddams said:

Despite JJ being a 3 time DPOY, Fuller is the one I fear more. Putting a sure handed burner opposite Hopkins with our starting CB nursing a bum ankle is downright frightening. Watson has a big arm and hits those two with accuracy downfield.

I’m way more concerned about Watt.  His presence on the field will motivate the rest of their defense.  If we lose this game it will be because the offense lays an egg.  If the offense can’t put points on the board, it will put a lot of pressure on the defense to get a stop (which is same story we saw all year).  Houston is too good on offense to not eventually put some points on the board.  The offense needs to show up and score early!  Houston getting Watt back is a big advantage for them.  Their defense without him is very pedestrian.  Was not concerned at all about their D until the news that he was returning.

11 minutes ago, bills6969 said:

I’m way more concerned about Watt.  His presence on the field will motivate the rest of their defense.  If we lose this game it will be because the offense lays an egg.  If the offense can’t put points on the board, it will put a lot of pressure on the defense to get a stop (which is same story we saw all year).  Houston is too good on offense to not eventually put some points on the board.  The offense needs to show up and score early!  Houston getting Watt back is a big advantage for them.  Their defense without him is very pedestrian.  Was not concerned at all about their D until the news that he was returning.

I feel the biggest positive Watt may give them is more kind of energy/mindset boost vs actual plays on the field.  He can't be close to 100%, and it's debatable whether he'll even have the stamina to play most of the game.  On one of the shows this week I think it was MJD who said he would just run right at him from the start and just beat him down, knowing he's not even close to "football shape"

Texans fan here. Our defense is very much a bend but don’t break defense so I fully expect y’all to put up some points against us as we do break sometimes lol. That being said it won’t be a cakewalk especially if watt is anywhere close to 100%. As for the offense that’s a whole other story. Not sure how y’all’s run defense is but that will be the key to having a shot at shutting down the Texans. Everyone worries about our passing game and maybe rightfully so, but our passing game runs through our run game. Not only does it make us one dimensional to have our run game shut down but it takes away all our play action and rollout plays which is how we usually like to throw the deep ball. So to me, the biggest key to y’alls victory Saturday is to stop the run, if y’all don’t I think y’all lose. 

• Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, longtimebillsfan said:

I can't find anything on the Bills active roster for Saturday's game.  Is there any word about Duke being active for the game?

We likely will not know anything until Saturday when the deactive players list is released. McD isn't going to tip his hat one way or another