Josh Allen Stat ... wow

Rigotz

12 minutes ago, LSHMEAB said:

Agreed. The fact that he mentions "jitters" further solidifies my opinion that a great deal of the accuracy issues are psychological. He's a really bright guy, and it appears as though he's "thinking" instead of "playing" when he's off.

If he's going to take that next step, he needs to CONSISTENTLY play and not think. We saw it for a three game stretch so it's attainable. We'll see what happens. If he can't shake it, he could very well stall in his progression or only slightly improve.

Didn't like Daboll or his track record coming in and I like him even less now that we've seen both poor play calls AND scolding a QB for a mistake when he's at his best NOT thinking about mistakes. He knew it was a poor throw/decision. What's the point of berating him for it? Absolutely the WRONG approach when it comes to Allen.

All that said, he's gotta figure this out somehow. In all likelihood, there isn't gonna be a third coordinator in McDermott's fourth year, so they need to co-exist. 

I remember earlier in the season he was doing some kind of hand gesture that had nothing to do with signaling a play call, celebration, etc. It was like a wave type of movement that seemed to be a relaxation "exercise." Not sure why it stopped, but my hope is that with experience, he'll realize that mistakes are going to happen. Shorten that memory and let the chips fall where they may on any given pass. 

I've never played nfl but played uk/us pool to a reasonable level. When the game matters, if I'm not in the right mindset I'm overhitting everything and feeling like I'm not even hitting it. Weird 

• Thank you (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, LSHMEAB said:

Agreed. The fact that he mentions "jitters" further solidifies my opinion that a great deal of the accuracy issues are psychological. He's a really bright guy, and it appears as though he's "thinking" instead of "playing" when he's off.

If he's going to take that next step, he needs to CONSISTENTLY play and not think. We saw it for a three game stretch so it's attainable. We'll see what happens. If he can't shake it, he could very well stall in his progression or only slightly improve.

Didn't like Daboll or his track record coming in and I like him even less now that we've seen both poor play calls AND scolding a QB for a mistake when he's at his best NOT thinking about mistakes. He knew it was a poor throw/decision. What's the point of berating him for it? Absolutely the WRONG approach when it comes to Allen.

All that said, he's gotta figure this out somehow. In all likelihood, there isn't gonna be a third coordinator in McDermott's fourth year, so they need to co-exist. 

I remember earlier in the season he was doing some kind of hand gesture that had nothing to do with signaling a play call, celebration, etc. It was like a wave type of movement that seemed to be a relaxation "exercise." Not sure why it stopped, but my hope is that with experience, he'll realize that mistakes are going to happen. Shorten that memory and let the chips fall where they may on any given pass. 

And your absolutely right. He's thinking about it, that's what it is. 

I agree I think they need to sort that out with him and it will prove beneficial. He said in his presser he might try things. Almost like he needs to play a game before the game haha

Edited by london_bills

We are at the bottom of the league in targets to RBs.  You want a stat to illustrate why his completion percentage isn't around say 63-65?  Here you go:

https://www.fantasypros.com/nfl/reports/targets-distribution/rb.php

Oh and as a bonus.....guess what other position we're at the bottom of the league in targeting?  The good ol TE safety net.  Don't have one of those right now either.  Knox will get there - I'm looking at him to be Kittle lite next season.  A top 10 TE.  

9 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

He distinctly said "some of the defenses we played".  I think we're all able to interpret the word "some" and count to 10

Because it isn't just interpret and count. The other 40% of games not listed are the 21, 25, 32, and 32nd ranked defenses in the league....

It wasn't just a happy coincidence the way it was presented.

Edited by Mango

33 minutes ago, Big Blitz said:

He doesn't check down to RBs......ever.  If he did (I'm of the belief he's being coached not to and it's not part of the version of air raid we run anyway---which is a mistake btw) his completion % would be 65%.  

He's on par with most QBs in the league.  Accuracy is not an issue.  It's just not.  He misses throws that all QBs miss.  Watch more games.  

Allen is not on par with most QBs, he has the lowest completion percentage among starting QBs. So the question remains, why?

21 minutes ago, Dr.Sack said:

Allen is not on par with most QBs, he has the lowest completion percentage among starting QBs. So the question remains, why?

I just proposed with evidence it has something to do with being one of the bottom 5 teams at targeting the RB and TEs. 

If he diverts more of his throws from Brown (who is always getting the other team's number 1) and from Beasley to the "checkdown" zone, that 58 is easily 62-65 percent.  

Now does that mean we are a more efficient offense if we do that?  Why yes......actually I do think this should be happening more but it's not.  And I think it's just a scheme/philosophy thing right now.  

So imo hes on par with most QBs in completion %.

Darnold btw is at 59.  Baker is at 60.  

Edited by Big Blitz
  • Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, london_bills said:

Allen's done some great things and is really exciting to watch.

There are times when the easy throws are harder for him.  It's when he is 'jittery' as he mentioned in his presser. Where are the objective posters (critizing me for example, which is fine) but then not mentioning that he has said he is nervous in pressers. 

Sure he's human and I like the guy but that is a concern! 

Someone else summed it up well when they said that, at times, Allen has a tendency to make the easy throws look difficult and the difficult throws look easy. 

He needs to fix that, and experience should do so.  Also I wonder if  they should script the first 15 plays.  It worked for Walsh and Montana.

32 minutes ago, Dr.Sack said:

Part of it is that we are among the leaders in dropped passes.

• Like (+1) 2

26 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

He needs to fix that, and experience should do so.  Also I wonder if  they should script the first 15 plays.  It worked for Walsh and Montana.

Part of it is that we are among the leaders in dropped passes.

30 assuming all were Allen and not Barkley. 

52 minutes ago, Big Blitz said:

I just proposed with evidence it has something to do with being one of the bottom 5 teams at targeting the RB and TEs. 

If he diverts more of his throws from Brown (who is always getting the other team's number 1) and from Beasley to the "checkdown" zone, that 58 is easily 62-65 percent.  

Now does that mean we are a more efficient offense if we do that?  Why yes......actually I do think this should be happening more but it's not.  And I think it's just a scheme/philosophy thing right now.  

Amazingly, we also have rookies at the RB and TE spots...and that’s where the meat of comp% is at

Sure it’s an excuse but it’s also the truth. The pass offense is not great and Allen deserves his share of blame, but in terms of the issues wrt passing overall he’s not in the top 3 imo.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Mango said:

The Bills have played 10 games since their bye, not 6. You left 4 out. Makes it read like Allen put up 21 TD’s in 6 weeks. 

He didn’t. 

Pretty sure he said these are some of the defenses he has played since the bye and listed there ranking

5 hours ago, Mango said:

The Bills have played 10 games since their bye, not 6. You left 4 out. Makes it read like Allen put up 21 TD’s in 6 weeks. 

He didn’t. 

Also left out all his fumbles and combined his rushing Tds with passing Tds. 

Disingenuous to say the least. 

1 hour ago, jimmy10 said:

I’ve got another stat for ya:

300 yd games - 0

Superb Owl rings - 0

Prove me wrong. 

And a 1-5 record when he's under 60% completion vs 9-0 when he's over 60.

No one likes to touch that stat though.  

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Big Blitz said:

Darnold is stuck with Gase and missed a month of football. 

Baker is stuck with Kitchens who couldn't scheme up anything outside of dinner. 

If Darnold were playing here, or even Baker for that matter, both their stats would be way higher. 

The fact that both were thrust into two different systems in two years with two ***** coaches and still perform better than Allen should speak volumes. 

I can guarantee neither one of them are coached up or prepared as well as Allen week to week year to year. 

• Like (+1) 1

31 minutes ago, TwistofFate said:

Darnold is stuck with Gase and missed a month of football. 

Baker is stuck with Kitchens who couldn't scheme up anything outside of dinner. 

If Darnold were playing here, or even Baker for that matter, both their stats would be way higher. 

The fact that both were thrust into two different systems in two years with two ***** coaches and still perform better than Allen should speak volumes. 

I can guarantee neither one of them are coached up or prepared as well as Allen week to week year to year. 

So when Darnold throws dumb picks it’s on Gase but when Allen cuts his int’s way down it’s because of Daboll?

You’re being silly at this point.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 4

2 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

So when Darnold throws dumb picks it’s on Gase but when Allen cuts his int’s way down it’s because of Daboll?

You’re being silly at this point.

The only thing silly is you comparing Allen and his situation to Darnold and his. 

Ill tell you the same thing I told the rest of your band of merry men, you don't like what I post, then don't respond to it.  

I don't care to respond to, read, or interact with you in any way shape or form. In fact, if there was an ignore button I'd be using it. 

2 minutes ago, TwistofFate said:

The only thing silly is you comparing Allen and his situation to Darnold and his. 

Ill tell you the same thing I told the rest of your band of merry men, you don't like what I post, then don't respond to it.  

I don't care to respond to, read, or interact with you in any way shape or form. In fact, if there was an ignore button I'd be using it. 

So you realize this is a forum for discussion, but are unwilling to discuss?  You just want to throw your rants out there and not be challenged at all?

Mods?

5 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

So you realize this is a forum for discussion, but are unwilling to discuss?  You just want to throw your rants out there and not be challenged at all?

Mods?

Call the mods.   You put a clear personal attack towards me, not my post. 

2 minutes ago, TwistofFate said:

You called ME silly. 

You ignored everything in my post in order to personally attack me. 

End of story

No.  Your opinion that Darnold and Mayfield have issues at times is all coaching, but that Allen's are all Allen’s, is silly.  It is silly to state that.  And it reveals an agenda which you have made clear time and time again:  you don’t want Allen as QB and will post anything negative you can about him.’

We get your schtick.  It’s tiresome.  Allen like the other two is a second year guy with things to learn and improvements to make.  Simple for those of us without an agenda.

• Like (+1) 8

6 hours ago, Rigotz said:

Since the Bills Week 6 Bye:

21 Touchdowns, 2 Interceptions (and 2 lost fumbles).

During that span here are some of the defenses he has played against:

The #1 defense

The #4 defense

The #5 defense

The #9 defense

The #10 defense

The #11 defense

(stats as of week 16)

That's pretty incredible ball security for an "inaccurate" guy.

Last 11 games played by both Josh has 17 TD passes and 4 INTs while Patrick Mahomes has 18 TD passes and 4 INTs 

And in same 11 games Josh has 6 Rushing TDs and 2 lost fumbles. 

Patrick has 2 Rushing TDs and 1 lost fumble.  

Pretty interesting. 

• Like (+1) 5

6 hours ago, NoSaint said:

Probably worth clearly pointing out that and if calling it about accuracy to only include passing tds. That he has rushed for a bunch of touchdowns doesn’t speak to accuracy. 

it’s a fair topic but the OP stacked the deck a little 

Funny how no one dings Jackson for using his legs, but Allen does, and  it's a sign of poor accuracy.

Wonder why that is?

• Like (+1) 3

30 minutes ago, TwistofFate said:

You called ME silly. 

You ignored everything in my post in order to personally attack me. 

End of story

So let me summarize, you enter another thread, take a crap in the punchbowl, get called out for it and now call for mod intervention?

Bless your heart.

• Haha (+1) 4

2 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

No.  Your opinion that Darnold and Mayfield have issues at times is all coaching, but that Allen's are all Allen’s, is silly.  It is silly to state that.  And it reveals an agenda which you have made clear time and time again:  you don’t want Allen as QB and will post anything negative you can about him.’

We get your schtick.  It’s tiresome.  Allen like the other two is a second year guy with things to learn and improvements to make.  Simple for those of us without an agenda.

If my opinions are tiresome don't read them, don't respond to them. 

Im a fan of this team and I post my thoughts about this team on this message board. 

There are quite a few others who feel the same way I do. 

It's not a crime to continuously post how great Allen is, to make excuses about his performances by blaming Wrs, O coordinators, O lines, the wind, the rain, the winter solstice, or any other excuses people want to make for him. Nope, no crime at all.  Post away. Take a glimpse of how many Allen is great threads there are. 

The second a fan of the same team says wait a minute, Im not going to make those claims, im going to call it how I see it, they all of a sudden have an agenda, they're called names, they are silenced and they are harassed. 

Ive been on these boards for 8 years.   Mostly reading opinions.  Never cared to post because of the flaming people got for not going with the status quo. 

If you don't like my content nor agree with it, and its so tiresome to you, ignore it, like an adult. 

You can continue to throw out claims that Allen is improving over and over, yet offer no explanation as to why we are ranked 28th in passing or why his completion percentage is sub 60% on the year with a vastly improved offense around him. 

You refuse to see anything wrong with his game and continue to blame all the things he can't control as I already mentioned. 

You compare him to others in his draft class on losing teams, with terrible coaches, but ironically have better completion percentages and are generally more consistent.   Pray tell, what does Allen look like on a Jets team right now???  Or a Cleveland team?   What would his stat line be??? 

Its homerism.  Plain and simple.  The reality of this season is the roster is talented enough to win and the defense and great coaching have taken this team to the playoffs.  

I pray to the football gods Barkley starts this week against the Jets so fans get a glimpse of what a consistent accurate Qb on this team would look like.  It would be a complete force to reckon with. 

2 minutes ago, Joe in Winslow said:

So let me summarize, you enter another thread, take a crap in the punchbowl, get called out for it and now call for mod intervention?

Bless your heart.

I didnt call a mod, try rereading. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, TwistofFate said:

If my opinions are tiresome don't read them, don't respond to them. 

Im a fan of this team and I post my thoughts about this team on this message board. 

There are quite a few others who feel the same way I do. 

It's not a crime to continuously post how great Allen is, to make excuses about his performances by blaming Wrs, O coordinators, O lines, the wind, the rain, the winter solstice, or any other excuses people want to make for him. Nope, no crime at all.  Post away. Take a glimpse of how many Allen is great threads there are. 

The second a fan of the same team says wait a minute, Im not going to make those claims, im going to call it how I see it, they all of a sudden have an agenda, they're called names, they are silenced and they are harassed. 

Ive been on these boards for 8 years.   Mostly reading opinions.  Never cared to post because of the flaming people got for not going with the status quo. 

If you don't like my content nor agree with it, and its so tiresome to you, ignore it, like an adult. 

You can continue to throw out claims that Allen is improving over and over, yet offer no explanation as to why we are ranked 28th in passing or why his completion percentage is sub 60% on the year with a vastly improved offense around him. 

You refuse to see anything wrong with his game and continue to blame all the things he can't control as I already mentioned. 

You compare him to others in his draft class on losing teams, with terrible coaches, but ironically have better completion percentages and are generally more consistent.   Pray tell, what does Allen look like on a Jets team right now???  Or a Cleveland team?   What would his stat line be??? 

Its homerism.  Plain and simple.  The reality of this season is the roster is talented enough to win and the defense and great coaching have taken this team to the playoffs.  

I pray to the football gods Barkley starts this week against the Jets so fans get a glimpse of what a consistent accurate Qb on this team would look like.  It would be a complete force to reckon with. 

And this proves my point.  I have said in this very thread that Allen has improvements to make.  Just a few posts above this one.  But you say I refuse to see anything wrong about him.

Thanks for once again showing your agenda.

Oh, and the reasons why our passing game is where it is, completion percentage?  Partly because of play calls, partly because of drops, partly because we have a solid running game, partly because Allen is figuring it out still especially reading defenses.  And partly because he misses some throws on occasion.

Stick that in your pipe and smoke it the next time you want to claim no one who likes the kid ever criticized him.

Edited by oldmanfan

1 minute ago, oldmanfan said:

And this proves my point.  I have said in this very thread that Allen has improvements to make.  Just a few posts above this one.  But you say I refuse to see anything wrong about him.

Thanks for once again showing your agenda.

Way to prove my point.   You ignored everything i brought up in my post to make yet again another blatant accusation.

6 hours ago, Patrick_Duffy said:

Waits for the 300 yards/game guy to post  ?

I'm the Allen fan & thinkl he's been stunted & badly coached in a lot of ways....  I blame the coaching....  I also blame lack of reps and way too conservative an offense.

BTW where does the Offense rank?  In the bottom quarter.

7 hours ago, Rigotz said:

Since the Bills Week 6 Bye:

21 Touchdowns, 2 Interceptions (and 2 lost fumbles).

During that span here are some of the defenses he has played against:

The #1 defense

The #4 defense

The #5 defense

The #9 defense

The #10 defense

The #11 defense

(stats as of week 16)

That's pretty incredible ball security for an "inaccurate" guy.

He's really protected the ball better in the passing game.

But he's fumbled nine times since then. Whether or not those fumbles were lost is really just a matter of luck. Fumbling nine times in ten games is just plain not good. On the other hand, he's lost none in the last two games. Is that luck or a trend? We can hope it's a trend.

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, CincyBillsFan said:

Either Jackson is a difference maker in what defines QB production or he isn't.  A QB's rushing output - yards/TD's/1st downs - must be added to the passing stats when measuring overall production.  At the same time lost fumbles should be included with INT's.

By this measure Allen is a top 10 QB with 29 total TD's and only 13 total TO's.  IMO this IS the key QB metric.  Oh and Allen's 29 TD's puts him at 2nd place in Bills history for total TD's in a season - behind only Jim Kelly's 34 TD's in 1991.

count rushing stats all you want. 

to say josh Allen is an accurate passer due to his TD to Int ratio and count rushing tds is not terribly accurate unless you are making some back door argument that his runs are super accurate passes. In which case you should just say that.

1 hour ago, Joe in Winslow said:

Funny how no one dings Jackson for using his legs, but Allen does, and  it's a sign of poor accuracy.

Wonder why that is?

jackson fights being called a running back

and I didn’t say his rushing means he’s inaccurate. I said you can’t sneakily roll in his rushing stats to use numbers to prove he is accurate. I think that should stand on his passing stats, for better or worse. Or at least say you are using his rushes as “completed passes” directly. 

6 hours ago, Big Blitz said:

We are at the bottom of the league in targets to RBs.  You want a stat to illustrate why his completion percentage isn't around say 63-65?  Here you go:

https://www.fantasypros.com/nfl/reports/targets-distribution/rb.php

Oh and as a bonus.....guess what other position we're at the bottom of the league in targeting?  The good ol TE safety net.  Don't have one of those right now either.  Knox will get there - I'm looking at him to be Kittle lite next season.  A top 10 TE.  

Are you misreading your own stats? We're not at the bottom of the league targeting RBs. Your own link there has a bunch of other teams with lower RB targets, Seattle, the Rams, the Titans, the Ravens and the Texans. More, we simply throw fewer passes than most teams, we're 27th in the league in attempts. So of course we're likely to throw less passes to RBs than most. Probably less passes to WRs as well ... we just throw less passes.

Look at the Cowboys, who've thrown 67 to Zeke alone. We've only thrown 73 passes to backs, while the Cowboys have thrown 87. But we've only thrown 473 passes, while the Cowboys have thrown 564 passes, meaning they throw 15.4% of their passes to backs while we also throw 15.4%. Go out an extra decimal place and you find we throw more to backs than they do.

Some teams tend to have the RBs block more on pass plays, and we're one of them. That's not a bad thing for the QB, having an extra blocker as a last reserve.

Most of the reason Josh's % is low is that he airmails a few inaccurate passes a game. That's not the only factor, of course, but it is the main one.