Allen's TD pass to Brown was based on Harris's tendencies throughout the game

Latest breakdown on The Athletic from Erik Turner is interesting because it sets up how the Bills essentially ran the same RPO play throughout the game.  Then this:

https://theathletic.com/1411252/2019/11/26/have-the-bills-found-their-offensive-identify-dissecting-the-fast-paced-game-plan-against-the-broncos/

The consistent use of this run concept paired with slant — flat and curl — combinations lulled the defense to sleep. The Bills attacked the Broncos with the run and dink, and dunked when they wanted to pass. But the tempo and somewhat simple play design helped the players and staff make easy in-game adjustments. Wide receiver John Brown took notes on Chris Harris throughout the game when he ran these combinations, and that intel led to a touchdown early in the fourth quarter.

Daboll told the media that they “had run a similar formation three times, kind of the same route,” Brown “did a good job of communicating to Chad Hall,” and Hall relayed the message to Daboll. Brown told Hall that Harris was “jumping inside, preparing for the slant or curl route,” and you can see that happen on every single play above.

So on the Bills’ second drive of the fourth quarter, they set up the deep shot to Brown with a run out of this 4-strong formation. The run lost 3 yards, but it had a significant effect on the next play. The staff “drew something up on there on the sideline off of what John felt out there,” Daboll said afterward. Since Harris was jumping the curls and slants, they threw in a “sluggo” route to push the ball down the field.

2019-11-26_06-59-36.jpg

As Brown glances at Allen, Harris quickly plants to drive on the apparent slant route.

2019-11-26_07-03-05.jpg

Allen executes the play fake, then a series of pump fakes, to get Harris to bite. The six-man protection holds firm and Allen hits Brown for a 34-yard touchdown. It was one of those plays that looked the same to the Broncos, until it didn’t, and it put the Bills up by three possessions. This was also Allen’s first completion over 30 air yards this season — a layup play design to help Allen get his confidence back.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 5
  • Thank you (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, transplantbillsfan said:

The six-man protection holds firm and Allen hits Brown for a 34-yard touchdown. It was one of those plays that looked the same to the Broncos, until it didn’t, and it put the Bills up by three possessions. This was also Allen’s first completion over 30 air yards this season — a layup play design to help Allen get his confidence back.

Bull. The play was designed to score points. Allen's confidence had nothing to do with it. And Allen doesn't lack confidence anyway.

• Like (+1) 13
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

But I thought Daboll sucked and was at fault for all our ills? I definitely read that here. 

Daboll

^^^^^^^                 
                                     __________McDermott

is better than 

__________Daboll_______McDermott_______

Edited by Ridgewaycynic2013
More effort than it was worth. ?
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Haha (+1) 3

Adjustments in a game?

That’s unheard of!!!!

What’s next ?  Targeting rookies?

5 minutes ago, TroutDog said:

Smoke discussed this one One Bills Live yesterday (Monday). He said they have been practicing this exact scenario. 

I’m glad they did!!! ? 

Practice!  Practice!

We don’t need no stinking practice. 

Edited by SlimShady'sGhost

33 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

But I thought Daboll sucked and was at fault for all our ills? I definitely read that here. 

To be fair, I kinda think there was a huge shift for Daboll and the offense in the last couple of games.

In the last 2 games alone in contrast to the rest of the season:

-Daboll went into the box for a bird's eye view

-The offense began running the no-huddle

-"Over the last two weeks, partly due to the no-huddle, the Bills have jumped from 26th in the percentage of runs out of shotgun (16 percent), to the fourth-highest in the league (38 percent)."

That last bit was also taken from the article posted in the OP.

I was certainly one of the ones you're calling out here because I had issues with Daboll.

Love what he did the last couple weeks.

I hope he keeps this up and, as Turner indicates in his title, maintains this as the Bills' offensive identity.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Thanks Transplant.  This is great stuff.

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

Hello, Gunner. 

I know you understand the concept that one can criticize a player or coach for their performance in certain games, or in certain aspects of a game, and then praise them in different games when they make corrections to the performance one critiques.

I have read that right here and from you.

Over the last couple weeks, Daboll has done a bunch of stuff I wanted to see:

-get less "cute" with his personnel packages and usage; get the best players on the field more

-simplify play calls

-rely more on the run, especially in crap weather

So far so good

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, MJS said:

Bull. The play was designed to score points. Allen's confidence had nothing to do with it. And Allen doesn't lack confidence anyway.

I agree with this.  The whole "Oh Noes!  No completion over 30 yards!" is true, but also pretty much a media-created mare's nest.  It's pretty much said straight out in McDermott's pressers: it's a matter of building the rep counts, which is something the coaches put together for the players every week. Daboll and Dorsey had been building rep counts for Allen and the WRs that focused on the 10-20 yd bread-n-butter passes.  In the last couple games, they added more rep counts on some deeper passes to Brown, then in back to back games they hit them.

34 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

He did and was. But he made some changes and is getting better. Both can be true, and that's all ok.

I agree... Daboll obviously made some changes starting with moving up to the booth. I have to tip my hat to McDermott on this one too. He stated that things needed to change after the Browns game, and they have. He knows when to step in and shift the mindset/game plan when coordinators are failing. This happened last year with Frazier also when the defense looked bad at the beginning of the season. After that, you could see the defense blitzing more and taking a more aggressive mindset. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, toto8 said:

Just what I pointed out to you @Shaw66 in your Rockpile review the other day.

Yeah, I thought of that when I saw this thread.  

So, putting together what you said and what this report said and what Allen said, Allen and Brown must have practiced just a straight double move during the week.   Allen said in his post game interview that he and Brown ran it about 10 times.   So during the game, Brown recognized what he recognized and they decided to run the play action with the in-cut look followed by the cut to go deep.   Pretty cool that they put it together on the sideline.  

And Troutdog says Brown said Monday that they have been practicing that play.  So who knows?

Edited by Shaw66

2 hours ago, DrDawkinstein said:

He did and was. But he made some changes and is getting better. Both can be true, and that's all ok.

True. Still not sold on Daboll and his lack of killer instinct. Whether that's coming from McD, who knows?  I do enjoy watching the increased tempo that's been implemented lately as there appears to be more fluidity in the execution of plays. The run, run, run and punt gets frustrating when their trying to ice the game with a 10 point lead. 

Even though the offense has been better it's still far from what's needed. This D as good as it is won't shut down the better offenses in the league all game long.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, DrDawkinstein said:

So obviously I was being slightly tongue in cheek. But Daboll was never doing as bad a job as reading this forum would have you believe. 

• Like (+1) 2

5 hours ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Fans are often to critical... not all plays are going to work. Fans get mad over one play but this shows that they shouldnt. Bad plays could be often used to give looks and set up for a huge play later in the game when it matters more. Some fans do need to take a step back and remember that.

To me, this offense doesn’t complete the 180 until they get rid of these drive-killing penalties that continues to plague them from day one this season.

Getting better, OBVIOUSLY, but the penalties have to stop cause if you kill your own drives against good teams, you ain’t beating them.

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

So obviously I was being slightly tongue in cheek. But Daboll was never doing as bad a job as reading this forum would have you believe. 

Certainly there was the typical over-the-top overreaction "Fire Daboll!" "Daboll Sucks!" that we get from some.

A little "HA!" moment from this week's pressers.  The reporters were pressing Beas hard for some locker room fodder against Dallas and he wasn't giving them any.  "What feelings are we talking about here?" "I'm on another team now"  etc  Refused to be negative about Dallas.  Positive about Buffalo, said he loves it here, is getting to do everything he wanted to do, wants to play here until the wheels fall off, "love the guys, love the coaches, Daboll is one of the coolest coordinators I've ever had" (even that is ambiguous enough to be non-controversial - he's saying he's cool, not he's smartest or best or anything). 

Then in Josh Allen's presser, asked a lot about Beasley and what having him here has meant.  Said the thing that Beasley doesn't get credit for is that his football IQ is extremely high, that he's sort of like a QB out there, "concepts that he likes that he's given to Coach Daboll that we've incorporated into our offense and they're key core plays for us"

Solved:  Why Beasley thinks Daboll is the coolest OC he's ever had: because Beasley is giving him play concepts and Daboll is listening and using them.

Caveat: hope that isn't clueing the Dallas offense into something more than they see on film, if the concepts came from Dallas. (or maybe they were ideas Beasley had and the Dallas offense wouldn't listen.)

Humor:  A reporter asked if Beas had ever been in the Dallas visitor's locker room.  He said no, it'd be a first for him.  Then he said very straight "I'm sure it looks pretty similar to the other one, though" and cracked a slow smile.  I've never liked Beasley as much as I did watching that interview.  Came across as a likeable guy with a dry sense of humor.

• Like (+1) 3

14 hours ago, transplantbillsfan said:

To be fair, I kinda think there was a huge shift for Daboll and the offense in the last couple of games.

In the last 2 games alone in contrast to the rest of the season:

-Daboll went into the box for a bird's eye view

-The offense began running the no-huddle

-"Over the last two weeks, partly due to the no-huddle, the Bills have jumped from 26th in the percentage of runs out of shotgun (16 percent), to the fourth-highest in the league (38 percent)."

That last bit was also taken from the article posted in the OP.

I was certainly one of the ones you're calling out here because I had issues with Daboll.

Love what he did the last couple weeks.

I hope he keeps this up and, as Turner indicates in his title, maintains this as the Bills' offensive identity.

Remember when Thurm would start his runs from the shotgun formation the majority of the time? It's actually incredibly versatile and can help keep defenses guessing as to what you are going to do:

https://buffalonews.com/1990/12/28/bills-receiving-corps-thin-for-season-finale-beebes-injury-causes-shuffling/

• Like (+1) 1

14 hours ago, Shaw66 said:

Yeah, I thought of that when I saw this thread.  

So, putting together what you said and what this report said and what Allen said, Allen and Brown must have practiced just a straight double move during the week.   Allen said in his post game interview that he and Brown ran it about 10 times.   So during the game, Brown recognized what he recognized and they decided to run the play action with the in-cut look followed by the cut to go deep.   Pretty cool that they put it together on the sideline.  

And Troutdog says Brown said Monday that they have been practicing that play.  So who knows?

Well I heard John Brown's locker room interview right after the game and that's how I found out about the adjustment. I didn't watch Josh Allen's post game presser so when you said Josh said that I didn't know he mentioned it. Maybe like you say the have been practicing the double move route but they didn't implement it on a play. Smoke saw Harris jumping the slant and they decided to adjust on the fly.

Which is pretty refreshing since in the past we didn't have good coaches that will make in game adjustments.

12 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

True.

Heck, even in that excerpt I posted from the article, we learn that Daboll used a running play that lost 3 yards to set up that TD play.

I definitely agree there's been an execution problem at points this year.  Joe B at one point in one of his All-22s pointed to several plays in a single game where we were targeting Foster on a deep ball but we just couldn't execute for one reason or another.

Allen actually hitting that pass was obviously huge.  If he didn't hit it, we would have been looking at a 3rd and 13 and I'm sure a lot of us would have then questioned Daboll.

So I'll agree that I've probably been too harsh on Daboll.  

I do think the changes in terms of going up top, running no-huddle and running out of the shotgun much more are great mid-season adjustments.

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Certainly there was the typical over-the-top overreaction "Fire Daboll!" "Daboll Sucks!" that we get from some.

A little "HA!" moment from this week's pressers.  The reporters were pressing Beas hard for some locker room fodder against Dallas and he wasn't giving them any.  "What feelings are we talking about here?" "I'm on another team now"  etc  Refused to be negative about Dallas.  Positive about Buffalo, said he loves it here, is getting to do everything he wanted to do, wants to play here until the wheels fall off, "love the guys, love the coaches, Daboll is one of the coolest coordinators I've ever had" (even that is ambiguous enough to be non-controversial - he's saying he's cool, not he's smartest or best or anything). 

Then in Josh Allen's presser, asked a lot about Beasley and what having him here has meant.  Said the thing that Beasley doesn't get credit for is that his football IQ is extremely high, that he's sort of like a QB out there, "concepts that he likes that he's given to Coach Daboll that we've incorporated into our offense and they're key core plays for us"

Solved:  Why Beasley thinks Daboll is the coolest OC he's ever had: because Beasley is giving him play concepts and Daboll is listening and using them.

Caveat: hope that isn't clueing the Dallas offense into something more than they see on film, if the concepts came from Dallas. (or maybe they were ideas Beasley had and the Dallas offense wouldn't listen.)

Humor:  A reporter asked if Beas had ever been in the Dallas visitor's locker room.  He said no, it'd be a first for him.  Then he said very straight "I'm sure it looks pretty similar to the other one, though" and cracked a slow smile.  I've never liked Beasley as much as I did watching that interview.  Came across as a likeable guy with a dry sense of humor.

If Beasley and our passing offense gets shut down tomorrow, I'm going to assume the Dallas coaching staff trolls this message board and read your post and I'm holding you accountable if we lose  :nana:

19 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

:oops:

Guilty, though you have to admit his play calling has been dramatically better since going into the booth. It gives him the chance to see the entire field and how the defense is reacting to each play such as in situations like this. 

1 hour ago, transplantbillsfan said:

If Beasley and our passing offense gets shut down tomorrow, I'm going to assume the Dallas coaching staff trolls this message board and read your post and I'm holding you accountable if we lose  :nana:

Trolling this message board so much more productive than mining interviews on buffalobills.com?  All righty then!

I drink my bottle of Josh.  2017 vintage, I do my part.  Never did get an answer about whether I should open it at dinner (1 pm) or wait until game time

1 hour ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

I love they literally fooled and beat Harris for that long TD.  

He was running his mouth about Allen last week.

He was doing an Olympic-grade backpedal postgame

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, toto8 said:

Well I heard John Brown's locker room interview right after the game and that's how I found out about the adjustment. I didn't watch Josh Allen's post game presser so when you said Josh said that I didn't know he mentioned it. Maybe like you say the have been practicing the double move route but they didn't implement it on a play. Smoke saw Harris jumping the slant and they decided to adjust on the fly.

Which is pretty refreshing since in the past we didn't have good coaches that will make in game adjustments.

It's actually kind of shocking.   We've spent years and years waiting for a competent football team, one that has the talent to make plays and the determination to do the little things right, and here we are, watching it happen.  When's the last time we heard about the Bills make a big-time adjustment followed by a big-time play?   

2 hours ago, Shaw66 said:

It's actually kind of shocking.   We've spent years and years waiting for a competent football team, one that has the talent to make plays and the determination to do the little things right, and here we are, watching it happen.  When's the last time we heard about the Bills make a big-time adjustment followed by a big-time play?   

Since around 20 to 25 years ago (Marv Levy) or maybe never. Gosh we've had bad teams. I hope they win tomorrow and they keep improving.