Ty Nsekhe injury - Updated to “day to day”

YoloinOhio

58 minutes ago, Mrbojanglezs said:

I think they do that sometimes to reduce swelling 

They also do it to stabilize the area when they don't know what is wrong.  Having it flop around can tear things or displace fractures that they don't know the existence or the extent of.  Aircast it to be safe, get your xrays to evaluate for broken bones, get your MRI for soft tissue (ligaments, tendons, muscular issues) them diagnose and evaluate a plan going forward.  There is no sense in NOT stabilizing it immediately.  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Jerry Jabber said:

What a difference the new training facility/sports science has been for the Bills. Years ago, it seems the Bills lead the league every year with the amount of players on IR. For the most part this season, the Bills have been healthy and the injuries are less severe.

And this one was just a freak thing. A guy getting rolled up on. You're right though. Think 10 years ago. Seemed like every week someone was going to IR. Literally the only player we've put on IR since the start of camp has been Harrison Phillips and Waddle. 

• Like (+1) 2

23 minutes ago, CLTbills said:

And this one was just a freak thing. A guy getting rolled up on. You're right though. Think 10 years ago. Seemed like every week someone was going to IR. Literally the only player we've put on IR since the start of camp has been Harrison Phillips and Waddle. 

Jesus you people....

Image result for knock on wood gif

• Thank you (+1) 1

I'll be honest... something very similar to this happened to me in high school practice... I went to the Dr and I was fine... it looks worse than it is... he has a sprained ankle... it is very difficult to put weight alone on a severe sprain that just happened... then as it gets better it's hard to put "lineman/football" weight as you have extra force from the leverage you are trying  to use... it took me about 2 solid weeks with heavy tape and ankle brace and I could play with it (I played center) now he has to play tackle with he'll have to cut on it which is even harder). I wouldn't be shocked if he was back available (not at 100%) in a few weeks.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, akcash said:

I'll be honest... something very similar to this happened to me in high school practice... I went to the Dr and I was fine... it looks worse than it is... he has a sprained ankle... it is very difficult to put weight alone on a severe sprain that just happened... then as it gets better it's hard to put "lineman/football" weight as you have extra force from the leverage you are trying  to use... it took me about 2 solid weeks with heavy tape and ankle brace and I could play with it (I played center) now he has to play tackle with he'll have to cut on it which is even harder). I wouldn't be shocked if he was back available (not at 100%) in a few weeks.

Sprains, depending upon location and severity, can take as long to heal fully as broken bones.  Or they can be much quicker.  The fact that Nsekhe was observed walking (inference: not on crutches or in boot) implies that it's a grade I or II sprain.

I think just treatment protocols have improved tremendously IF the athletes comply.   Someone here told a story of a Bills DB they knew at one point who had injured his ankle and only put ice on it and elevated it later in the evening  when his wife brought him some and insisted.  They have all kind of options for maintaining range of motion and fitness  these days, like zero g treadmills.

On 11/20/2019 at 12:25 PM, TheProcess said:

I think it’s been established he isn’t a doctor. Also, I take it you’ve never had experience with doctors being wrong? An individual that finishes last in their class in med school is still considered a doctor. Doesn’t make them a good one. Sure, experience counts and shouldn’t be discounted, but to act like docs don’t make mistakes (especially guys who aren’t doctors on twitter with no more information than the rest of us) is equally LOL/SMH worthy. 

Anyway, he even admitted he was wrong, so what does it matter?

I had a doctor diagnose a problem as psychosomatic since he could not determine cause and he did not have mental health degree.  Next doctor tried a treatment, it did opposite than he expected so he had MRI done and found a cyst in ankle size of golf ball and scheduled surgery for me. Took test results to doctor's office who said it was psychosomatic, told receptionist I needed copy of file for insurance since they rejected it, paid for copies and when I found he put it in writing told her I needed to speak to doctor.  She called doctor in who came with another doctor and I told him that he was a quack and I had proof.  He told me it was slander what he was saying (many patients were paying attention at this point) and I dropped a copy of MRI image showing cyst in ankle and said sure lets go to court and I will sue you for malpractice.  I never did pay insurance balance of bill and medical office did not attempt to claim with a lame laywer written apology letter.

Medical "Science" is more art than science.

• Like (+1) 1

On 11/20/2019 at 4:52 PM, Mrbojanglezs said:

I think they do that sometimes to reduce swelling 

I have a Flexitouch Plus device from Tactile Medical I used to reduce swelling in my foot.  I'd post the before picture of my foot but been asked not to do it again since it grossed some out.

I am sure the PT will send him such a device to use at home.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Bills are exceptionally healthy compared to rest of the league for the 3rd year in a row under McDermott. I think it's safe to say that at this point it's due to more than luck. McDermott and company have been very cutting edge in regards to sports science, training, recovery and JIT rest along with GPS devices during practices and training camps to make sure their workloads are properly monitored.

No idea why more teams don't do this as even if it prevents a few injuries to key players every year it would be worth it.

Bills were 3rd in 2017, 5th in 2018 and 4th this year in lowest number of man games lost to injuries.

Edited by matter2003
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1