Joe B. All-22 Review of Bills-Eagles : Star was best Bills player on the front 7

YoloinOhio

Saying Star was the best on the line is not saying much with how poorly the others player.  I think he has been fine and is the least of the worries on defense. Losing Harrison Phillips hurts as Peko is not even a PS level player. 

I think we can all agree Murphy is absolute garbage.  Worst ever free agent signing - even worse than the CB that quit at half-time.  

Now let's get real about Oliver.  He is an absolute non-factor.  7 games into a DT career does not define him.  But he is being badly outplayed by Jordan Phillips.  So far Oliver is living up to the narrative of too small and his speed will be neutralized by the skill set of NFL linemen.  DT in my opinion is the absolute hardest position to transition to the pros.  He may be an absolute star in 2-3 years but so far he is just logging snaps and learning at this point.  My additional fear is he will get worse as the season wears on as he hits the rookie wall and the pounding of NFL linemen takes its' toll on him.

All of this can be overcome with scheme.  They can not get to the QB with four guys.  It's really that simple.  So you have two choices. Sit back and let them dinkl and dunk you down the field hoping they make a mistake.  Or you blitz these awful quarterbacks and force the issue.  Edmunds lacks instincts. So let him blitz so he doesn't have to make decisions.  Poyer and Hyde are excellent blitzers.  Our corners can hold up in coverage and can tackle well.  Unleash the blitz.  It worked well agaisnt Philadelphia.  Just need to use it more often.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

Bills All-22 Review: Why Star Lotulelei was one of the Bills’ best and the WR combo that needs more time

https://theathletic.com/1334385/2019/10/29/bills-all-22-review-why-star-lotulelei-was-one-of-the-bills-best-and-the-wr-combo-that-needs-more-time/

I think this news is somewhat positive.  Like Joe said in his column, I assumed that Star was a major problem last game - it turns out it was Peko and poor play from LB’s.  

The fact that Star wasn’t getting owned all game gives me hope that McDermott, Frazier and whoever else on the coaching staff can help fix the defense

1 hour ago, buffaloboyinATL said:

Lol. It is starting to seem like every week the all 22 review by Joe B vindicates the current TBD whipping boy. ?

Bills coverage has subtly changed over the past few years into being more cheerleader and less objective analysis.  We'll always realize John Murphy and Chris Brown will be quite pro-team no matter wha the situation, but it extends now to other outlets who aren't even official media partners.  

For that reason, I understand why Sal Capaccio will go constantly to the mat for OBD as he did today defending McBeane for not making a deadline deal.  Perhaps the asking price for certain players was too steep, but there wasn't any counter to his point that McBeane made a sound decision standing firm on the roster even after they've been exposed on both sides of the ball. 

Now, Buscaglia's gone and done the same thing.  A few weeks ago he went out of his way to talk up Trent Murphy the week after the DE had a game where he was repeatedly unable to get pressure.  

The question now is why?  Well, I suspect the Pegula's have leaned on outlets by threatening their credentials unless coverage is at worst balanced.  All of this amid some of the longest playoff droughts in Bills and Sabres history.  And if you're depending on the team like WGR, the standard to provide favorable coverage is even higher.  It's unfair to the viewers/listeners, but content is king and without access outlets will not succeed.  Reporters/writers have reacted accordingly.  

Edited by BillsVet

25 minutes ago, Phil The Thrill said:

I think this news is somewhat positive.  Like Joe said in his column, I assumed that Star was a major problem last game - it turns out it was Peko and poor play from LB’s.  

The fact that Star wasn’t getting owned all game gives me hope that McDermott, Frazier and whoever else on the coaching staff can help fix the defense

The LBs were effectively schemed and executed against 

49 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Would it kill this team to give Vincent Taylor a shot?

They may, if Peko’s film is really that bad and he’s a liability. I assume they have been trying to get Taylor up to speed on the scheme. Either way they don’t need to make that move until Friday. 

22 hours ago, WMDman said:

Well this will piss people off...

Happens when reality does not quite fit a preconceived narrative, and we all fall into it.

Without knowing assignments on each play it is tough for us arm-chair coordinators to get it right.

We see Jordan bust through with a tackle for a loss and think Star should be shooting a gap and doing the same thing.

There was a hail of negative posts that Allen did not lead Brown enough on the one play that Darby (fixed) defended only to have Brown come back and say he ran the wrong route.

Queue the face palms. We should be mindful that there could be other possibilities.

Edited by WideNine
  • Like (+1) 3

I went back and re-watched the game.   In all honesty, the defense didn't play as bad as the scire and stat line suggests. 

One 65 yard run, and about 25 yards of Wentz scrambling on the Eagles final TD drive is what made the stat line the way it was. 

A few broken tackles also helped the stat line. 

After rewatching it, its really not as bad as it seemed in real time.  Not acceptable, but not as bad. 

The offense on the other hand....terrible.  Especially in the second half. 

Feliciano was blown up multiple times, had numerous penalties, and just looked terrible. 

Allen was way off the mark on many throws and missed Brown wide open on quite a few plays, as well a Beasley. 

Play calling was definitely not the problem....it was execution. 

• Like (+1) 4

4 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

-The Harrison Phillips loss to injury still stings. Particularly behind Lotulelei, backup Kyle Peko is not winning consistently enough during his limited snaps. The Bills have had to make unwanted adjustments because of him during the game, shifting Peko to three-technique and forcing either Jordan Phillips or Ed Oliver to one-technique on some plays.

I believe Harry is also a 3 tech. Am I wrong on that? 

I’ve been thinking that Jordan Phillips showed up and stole Harry’s job this year, and deserves the extension. 

5 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

“Star was Bills best player on front 7”.... Probably why we got gashed for 200 plus rushing yards?

Yup. Star did his job and some others didn't.

4 hours ago, klos63 said:

Doesn't say much for the rest of the defense , does it?

No, it doesn't, as the article says Lotulelei was an impact run defender and the others weren't. So that indeed doesn't say much for the rest of the defense.

But it does say a lot for Lotulelei.

Again, still not convinced overall about him this year, but he's been doing what they want him to do in his career, right up through last year.

Edited by Thurman#1
  • Like (+1) 1