Joe B. All-22 Review of Bills-Eagles : Star was best Bills player on the front 7

YoloinOhio

4 minutes ago, GG said:

See this thread for further supporting analysis.   The change in Eagles OL assignments were part of the second half adjustments to draw the Bills' defenders to the QB or keep them at the LOS.  The Eagles gashed the Bills with the screen and Wentz's designed scrambles in the critical 2H drives.   That was by design, by keeping Star on the field longer, you guarantee that those kinds of plays have a high chance of success.

So, let me get this straight. You have been saying Joe B. is wrong in his assertion that Star was one of the better defenders on the field this week. As supporting analysis, you offer the opinion of another poster who says absolutely nothing that supports you?

• Haha (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, GG said:

See this thread for further supporting analysis.   The change in Eagles OL assignments were part of the second half adjustments to draw the Bills' defenders to the QB or keep them at the LOS.  The Eagles gashed the Bills with the screen and Wentz's designed scrambles in the critical 2H drives.   That was by design, by keeping Star on the field longer, you guarantee that those kinds of plays have a high chance of success.

All-22 shows every single play from two angles - full field view from the camera in the rafters and and end-zone shot focusing on the lines and where the ball ends up. 

in his article Joe selected plays that showed Star's good plays.  He didn't include the usual variety where Star got pushed backwards or completely ridden out of the play by a single blocker.  Star was no different on Sunday than he's been all season.

Okay...thanks for the info.

Are you saying that Joe B is grading Star's entire game on Star's good plays and didn't do a complete breakdown of the entire game?

McDermott said Star is playing well and he's not afraid to call players.  He did it to Zay, did it to Charles Clay, did it to Kelvin Benjamin and now recently with Daboll's play calling....

Star continues to play and he would not if he was as bad as his critics have said he is.  If Star starts to sit more and more on a regular basis, then I will start believing he's that bad. 

For some reason, that upsets some people when I take this approach.  Not saying you but it really rubs people the wrong way for whatever reason.

4 minutes ago, billsfan1959 said:

So, let me get this straight. You have been saying Joe B. is wrong in his assertion that Star was one of the better defenders on the field this week. As supporting analysis, you offer the opinion of another poster who says absolutely nothing that supports you?

I'm saying that Joe is wrong in assigning an A- to Star's effort this week, when it was not really different than his play in other weeks when his grade is a D.    Can't have it both ways when Star's play is consistently average.

22 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

The all 22 is done every week. It’s not a season long accumulation.  He didn’t “backtrack.” It is a week to week analysis. If he analyzed his play differently previous weeks than he did this week it’s because he’s analyzing different games.

Good call, but last week's comments weren't just about last week's film review. A blanket comment for the whole season. I'm no expert, but his comments made me take time to watch film of all our games this year(sad, I know). IMO He was way off. 

I didn't listen to J. Buscaglia, but here's a quote from Phill The Thrill in a thread he created( hope you don't mind, Phill):

“Joe’s main culprit is Star Loutelelei.  He said he has been terrible this year and is not winning matchups very well.” 

Maybe he didn't backtrack, but that was not a comment for just that 1 game. Anyway, I think Joe B. is terrible and was just annoyed a comment like that led to so many taking it as the gospel. 

Edited by Dopey

3 minutes ago, GG said:

I'm saying that Joe is wrong in assigning an A- to Star's effort this week, when it was not really different than his play in other weeks when his grade is a D.    Can't have it both ways when Star's play is consistently average.

Clearly, he thought this week's performance was better than in other weeks. You believe otherwise. However, you also stated that the Eagles' halftime adjustments included double-teaming Star. Coaches do not waste their time making halftime adjustments on specific players who are just playing average...

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, GG said:

He was also the same guy who raised the concerns about Star's play in the first place.  So which Buscaglia are you talking about?

I disagree with his conclusion that Star was the strength of the defense.  If anything, it's more of faint praise because the other guys who usually play better, did not.  Star was the same in this game as in the others, but Eagles attacked the Bills' LB weaknesses especially well in the second half.  Milano didn't have a good game, and the tape continue to highlight Edmunds' deficiency in his spot.

Yeah... that’s what intellectually honest people do- they have an opinion, and if the evidence contradicts that opinion, they change their opinion in order to be consistent with the evidence. 

What he’s saying is that Star did his job. The very thing everyone on here was hounding him about not doing. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

Yeah... that’s what intellectually honest people do- they have an opinion, and if the evidence contradicts that opinion, they change their opinion in order to be consistent with the evidence. 

What he’s saying is that Star did his job. The very thing everyone on here was hounding him about not doing. 

Image result for correcting a fool

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

Remember when that was the norm in public discourse? 

• Like (+1) 1

I didn't read the whole thread but I understand that side product of Joe's analysis is that Sanders' 65yard run was primarily Milano's fault with Hyde also reacting later as he should.

I rewatched that play couple of times and it really seems that Star did what he should and that hole was Milano's responsibility.

However, can somebody explain me what he should be in fact doing better in this play? There is a blocker right in front of him doing a great job, so what is he supposed to do? Does he have to manage to tackle Sanders even despite the blocker? Is he supposed to avoid the blocker somehow?

Sorry if it is stupid question, but I really don't know. I would like to know what coaches will tell him to do better next time to avoid this.

5 minutes ago, No_Matter_What said:

I didn't read the whole thread but I understand that side product of Joe's analysis is that Sanders' 65yard run was primarily Milano's fault with Hyde also reacting later as he should.

I rewatched that play couple of times and it really seems that Star did what he should and that hole was Milano's responsibility.

However, can somebody explain me what he should be in fact doing better in this play? There is a blocker right in front of him doing a great job, so what is he supposed to do? Does he have to manage to tackle Sanders even despite the blocker? Is he supposed to avoid the blocker somehow?

Sorry if it is stupid question, but I really don't know. I would like to know what coaches will tell him to do better next time to avoid this.

I think its more about leverage. Contrary to popular opinion, this defense is about gap responsibility. The gap the RB runs to is not always Edmunds or Milano's responsibility. Here, Milano did not cut off the gap.  Thats why Hyde's over pursuit looked so ugly and useless. I Milano was supposed to get leverage on the other side of the blocker, pushing the RB to cut back towards Hyde. I think. 

Just now, No_Matter_What said:

I haven't studied it closely, but when I watched it a couple times it looks like he is a little slow to react, which allows the blocker to get a great seal on him. In theory, right there he is supposed to hit that gap hard, stopping the blockers forward momentum and causing a blockage in the gap. He might not make the tackle, but he's gotta slow down sanders. Because he waits for the blocker to get to him, he's swept out of the play. Meanwhile, Hyde just completely misread the play and was even a little too eager in getting into the middle of it and over-pursued it (which is rare for him).

Here's a good breakdown from Philly's perspective: https://www.philadelphiaeagles.com/video/breakdown-miles-sanders-65-yd-td-run

Milano and Hyde essentially both got blocked by a RB... Not great. 

2 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

LOL now the conspiracy theories come out.  Now Pegula is playing a mob boss and making threats.

You guys are so hardheaded and refuse to accept a differing opinion that you’ll even go the conspiracy route.  

Go to the Lotulelei thread we had going before. It was laid out very clearly...some people just do not understand what they’re looking at.

1 minute ago, No_Matter_What said:

in the most simplistic terms...he could shed a blocker once in a while to make a tackle, like oliver does regularly. star had 1 tackle vs philly, none vs miami and is averaging 1 per game for the season.

2 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

I haven't studied it closely, but when I watched it a couple times it looks like he is a little slow to react, which allows the blocker to get a great seal on him. In theory, right there he is supposed to hit that gap hard, stopping the blockers forward momentum and causing a blockage in the gap. He might not make the tackle, but he's gotta slow down sanders. Because he waits for the blocker to get to him, he's swept out of the play. Meanwhile, Hyde just completely misread the play and was even a little too eager in getting into the middle of it and over-pursued it (which is rare for him).

Here's a good breakdown from Philly's perspective: https://www.philadelphiaeagles.com/video/breakdown-miles-sanders-65-yd-td-run

Milano and Hyde essentially both got blocked by a RB... Not great. 

See, I didn't think it was hyde.  I thought Milano was just on the blockers wrong shoulder. If that had happened, Hyde would have been in the right spot. 

Just now, JoshAllenHasBigHands said:

See, I didn't think it was hyde.  I thought Milano was just on the blockers wrong shoulder. If that had happened, Hyde would have been in the right spot. 

That could be... If Hyde was anticipating Milano forcing sanders outside, he would have been in a nice spot for the stop.