Joe B. All-22 Review of Bills-Eagles : Star was best Bills player on the front 7

YoloinOhio

7 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I don't breakdown film so that's why I'm pounding the table on my opinion.  I base it on playing time and he's playing...was before and after Harry's injury. 

What's happening is, on the broadcast, the Analyst will break down a few plays.  On those few plays, usually a big play, the analyst will show where the break downs took place.  If on those few plays, it shows a particular player messing up or not making a play....some of these opinionated fans are basing the entire game on those plays.  Not taking into account the other downs he was on the field making an impact.  A broadcast guy isn't going to break down every single play.

It's what happened with Gilmore.  He would get ripped for giving up any completions and was consistently called overrated.  Many times it wasn't on him but since he was in the shot on the replay...he was blamed.  Belicheck saw his talent, gave him his big contract and now is probably the best corner in football....

I always say I don’t watch film. If I see a film breakdown that surprises me based on what I observed from the broadcast I just think, oh that surprising or interesting. I don’t assume it’s obviously wrong or even obviously right. I can’t draw that conclusion either way unless I too am doing the same analysis which I’m not. 

• Like (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

I mean, who am I gonna believe? The professional sports commentator whose paid money for his analysis and opinion and has access to technology and software to study the game and run analysis, or some message board bois!

He was also the same guy who raised the concerns about Star's play in the first place.  So which Buscaglia are you talking about?

I disagree with his conclusion that Star was the strength of the defense.  If anything, it's more of faint praise because the other guys who usually play better, did not.  Star was the same in this game as in the others, but Eagles attacked the Bills' LB weaknesses especially well in the second half.  Milano didn't have a good game, and the tape continue to highlight Edmunds' deficiency in his spot.

1 minute ago, GG said:

He was also the same guy who raised the concerns about Star's play in the first place.  So which Buscaglia are you talking about?

I disagree with his conclusion that Star was the strength of the defense.  If anything, it's more of faint praise because the other guys who usually play better, did not.  Star was the same in this game as in the others, but Eagles attacked the Bills' LB weaknesses especially well in the second half.  Milano didn't have a good game, and the tape continue to highlight Edmunds' deficiency in his spot.

It’s pretty much what he said. Not that he was a great player but that he did his job. He was the best of a bunch of poor performances on the front 7.

1 minute ago, YoloinOhio said:

It’s pretty much what he said. Not that he was a great player but that he did his job. He was the best of a bunch of poor performances on the front 7.

Because he was grading on a scale by giving Star an A- for the game?   That was far from an A- effort.

6 minutes ago, GG said:

Because he was grading on a scale by giving Star an A- for the game?   That was far from an A- effort.

Take up the grading with him - I don’t know the criteria and didn’t watch the all-22

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, GG said:

He broke down every play of the game in film.  He came out with a high grade for Star.  That's all it is.  I think you're over complicating this because you're not agreeing with his opinion.  

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, BillsVet said:

Well, I suspect the Pegula's have leaned on outlets by threatening their credentials unless coverage is at worst balanced.  All of this amid some of the longest playoff droughts in Bills and Sabres history.  And if you're depending on the team like WGR, the standard to provide favorable coverage is even higher.  It's unfair to the viewers/listeners, but content is king and without access outlets will not succeed.  Reporters/writers have reacted accordingly.  

Please, tell us some of your other theories. I'm dying to read them. Do you think NASA is lying about the shape of the earth?

• Haha (+1) 3

2 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

Does Joe even mention Edmunds who was a train wreck Sunday in his article? 

Yes. He grades every player that takes snaps. He graded Edmunds as a C+ and ranked him as the 22nd best player out of 33. He doesn't write a full analysis of every player. He usually picks 5.

• Like (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I don't breakdown film so that's why I'm pounding the table on my opinion.  I base it on playing time and he's playing...was before and after Harry's injury. 

What's happening is, on the broadcast, the Analyst will break down a few plays.  On those few plays, usually a big play, the analyst will show where the break downs took place.  If on those few plays, it shows a particular player messing up or not making a play....some of these opinionated fans are basing the entire game on those plays.  Not taking into account the other downs he was on the field making an impact.  A broadcast guy isn't going to break down every single play.

It's what happened with Gilmore.  He would get ripped for giving up any completions and was consistently called overrated.  Many times it wasn't on him but since he was in the shot on the replay...he was blamed.  Belicheck saw his talent, gave him his big contract and now is probably the best corner in football....

Gilmore didn't wanna try esp his contract year without risking injuries for pay day just saying.

9 hours ago, BillsVet said:

Bills coverage has subtly changed over the past few years into being more cheerleader and less objective analysis.  We'll always realize John Murphy and Chris Brown will be quite pro-team no matter wha the situation, but it extends now to other outlets who aren't even official media partners.  

For that reason, I understand why Sal Capaccio will go constantly to the mat for OBD as he did today defending McBeane for not making a deadline deal.  Perhaps the asking price for certain players was too steep, but there wasn't any counter to his point that McBeane made a sound decision standing firm on the roster even after they've been exposed on both sides of the ball. 

Now, Buscaglia's gone and done the same thing.  A few weeks ago he went out of his way to talk up Trent Murphy the week after the DE had a game where he was repeatedly unable to get pressure.  

The question now is why?  Well, I suspect the Pegula's have leaned on outlets by threatening their credentials unless coverage is at worst balanced.  All of this amid some of the longest playoff droughts in Bills and Sabres history.  And if you're depending on the team like WGR, the standard to provide favorable coverage is even higher.  It's unfair to the viewers/listeners, but content is king and without access outlets will not succeed.  Reporters/writers have reacted accordingly.  

So we are just going full tin-foil hat now, huh. 

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

Which should probably indicate to people that finding a current whipping boy and piling on .... maybe it's just not the smart thing. Maybe we should avoid grabbing a pitchfork and a torch and joining the stampede to the castle.

Naaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah, just kidding. Why choose low-key analysis and a wait till the evidence is in mentality over the where can we find a scapegoat urge? Waving the pitchforks is way too much fun.

There are a number of posters who, on a micro and macro level, immediately overreact and/or form opinions, provide analyses, assess blame, demand accountability, etc., prior to ever having the necessary information to do so. Which is fine; however, they then become so entrenched in those opinions, analyses, and blame - that they dig their heels in and refuse to accept any evidence to the contrary. 

And when anybody offers a differing opinion or tries to present evidence to support a differing opinion, it is met with anger, aggression, or outright delusional assertions. 

Now Joe B. is cluless, a hack, ignorant of the game of football, a mere puppet of Pegula under some illuminati type conspiracy theory, etc., etc., - all for daring to provide an anlysis and opinion contrary to a narrative pushed by some on this board.

SMFH

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

31 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

This is spectacularly on point.  

I don't break down film, but I rely heavily on the Cover-1s of the world who do and know what they are talking about.  

Average fans just don't know what they are looking at.  We have no idea what gap/coverage responsibilities are, but we presume to without the least bit of training. That is why I wait for some detailed analysis by people who break it down in terms of "this is that players assignment" and "this is why he did/did not fulfill his role." So much interesting insights that way. 

But I definitely do not define a players game performance by a single play. It is the weirdest thing.  A guy misses a tackle, all of a sudden it stops being one missed tackle and becomes "missed tackles all day." Or, a guy drops a ball, and it becomes "he has a case of the dropsies."  Its wild.  

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, billsfan1959 said:

There are a number of posters who, on a micro and macro level, immediately overreact and/or form opinions, provide analyses, assess blame, demand accountability, etc., prior to ever having the necessary information to do so. Which is fine; however, they then become so entrenched in those opinions, analyses, and blame - that they dig their heels in and refuse to accept any evidence to the contrary. 

And when anybody offers a differing opinion or tries to present evidence to support a differing opinion, it is met with anger, aggression, or outright delusional assertions. 

Now Joe B. is cluless, a hack, ignorant of the game of football, a mere puppet of Pegula under some illuminati type conspiracy theory, etc., etc., - all for daring to provide an anlysis and opinion contrary to a narrative pushed by some on this board.

SMFH

It was actually said that Pegula is threatening the credentials of writers if they don't fall in line.  That's watered down extortion.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, billsfan1959 said:

SMFH

This is all exactly right. I love Tuesday/Wednesday, because the board stops being so much about emotional gut reactions and starts getting down to actual objective analysis.  I stay away until that stuff starts to come out. 

Also, and this is just an aside, why does "accountability" always mean someone must be fired/cut?  

• Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, Warcodered said:

I mean we were getting killed on those screens those aren't usually DT's responsibility are they?

Or LBs and safeties missing the gap that the dline created. The dline didn't play as bad as overreaction Monday made it out to be. 

1 minute ago, Royale with Cheese said:

He broke down every play of the game in film.  He came out with a high grade for Star.  That's all it is.  I think you're over complicating this because you're not agreeing with his opinion.  

Of course I disagree with his opinion.  Star was not much different on Sunday than he has been all season.  So all of a sudden when the supporting cast doesn't show up, he gets an A-? 

FWIW, in a bizarre twist I saw a lot more single teams on Star vs Eagles than vs Dolphins, especially in the first half when the Bills D played well enough.  Star faced more double teams in the second half after Eagles made a few adjustments, dialed up the screens and Wentz runs to capitalize on Bills' over-pursuit.