Joe B. All-22 Review of Bills-Eagles : Star was best Bills player on the front 7

YoloinOhio

10 hours ago, buffaloboyinATL said:

Lol. It is starting to seem like every week the all 22 review by Joe B vindicates the current TBD whipping boy. ?

He created the Star sucks agenda the week before. He seems a little bi-polar.

10 hours ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Would it kill this team to give Vincent Taylor a shot?

Maybe. Only the coaches know. 

3 minutes ago, GG said:

Of course I disagree with his opinion.  Star was not much different on Sunday than he has been all season.  So all of a sudden when the supporting cast doesn't show up, he gets an A-? 

FWIW, in a bizarre twist I saw a lot more single teams on Star vs Eagles than vs Dolphins, especially in the first half when the Bills D played well enough.  Star faced more double teams in the second half after Eagles made a few adjustments, dialed up the screens and Wentz runs to capitalize on Bills' over-pursuit.

So, does the fact that the Eagles halftime adjustments included more double teams of Star tell you anything about what the Eagles thought about his play?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Please, tell us some of your other theories. I'm dying to read them. Do you think NASA is lying about the shape of the earth?

Do you think the BN simultaneously moved on essentially from Gleason and Sullivan because they were “negative?”  And leave the fan perspective at the door.  Those guys were the biggest critics of the two pro teams in town.  Put yourself in these outlets’ shoes.  They know their ability to cover the team would be affected if coverage was determined as too negative. 

Is it difficult to believe pro and college teams want positive coverage?  After all,  there’s a lot of money on the line and negative coverage impacts that.  If they possess the power to control the narrative, why wouldn’t these teams pursue that? And, that may be done in who is provided access to the team. 

5 minutes ago, GG said:

Of course I disagree with his opinion.  Star was not much different on Sunday than he has been all season.  So all of a sudden when the supporting cast doesn't show up, he gets an A-? 

FWIW, in a bizarre twist I saw a lot more single teams on Star vs Eagles than vs Dolphins, especially in the first half when the Bills D played well enough.  Star faced more double teams in the second half after Eagles made a few adjustments, dialed up the screens and Wentz runs to capitalize on Bills' over-pursuit.

Dude...I didn't break the film on Star.  Joe did.  These are questions for him.  

He watched the film, this is what he saw...that's it.  

4 minutes ago, BillsVet said:

Do you think the BN simultaneously moved on essentially from Gleason and Sullivan because they were “negative?”  And leave the fan perspective at the door.  Those guys were the biggest critics of the two pro teams in town.  Put yourself in these outlets’ shoes.  They know their ability to cover the team would be affected if coverage was determined as too negative. 

Is it difficult to believe pro and college teams want positive coverage?  After all,  there’s a lot of money on the line and negative coverage impacts that.  If they possess the power to control the narrative, why wouldn’t these teams pursue that? And, that may be done in who is provided access to the team. 

Now that I think about it....Terry Pegula had Epstein killed.  

6 minutes ago, BillsVet said:

Other people come to the board for analysis and breaking news. What keeps me coming back is posts like this. This is some beautiful work.

• Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, billsfan1959 said:

The Star sucks agenda has been on this board since he was signed...

So most have been wrong for a while then, but it blew up last week when Joe. B. said he's been sucking this year. Now he backtracks. I re-watched the Phins game and even that one wasn't as bad as made out to be. And if you watch that game, Peko spends too much time either on 1 knee like he's praying or on the ground. Star wasn't the problem and is not a liability. He's no all-star and sure, he's overpaid but some on TBD go overboard. We're not in salary cap hell because of him as some have said and he is our best d tackle. One bad game so far.

56 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I don't breakdown film so that's why I'm pounding the table on my opinion.  I base it on playing time and he's playing...was before and after Harry's injury. 

What's happening is, on the broadcast, the Analyst will break down a few plays.  On those few plays, usually a big play, the analyst will show where the break downs took place.  If on those few plays, it shows a particular player messing up or not making a play....some of these opinionated fans are basing the entire game on those plays.  Not taking into account the other downs he was on the field making an impact.  A broadcast guy isn't going to break down every single play.

It's what happened with Gilmore.  He would get ripped for giving up any completions and was consistently called overrated.  Many times it wasn't on him but since he was in the shot on the replay...he was blamed.  Belicheck saw his talent, gave him his big contract and now is probably the best corner in football....

Amen.

Man, I like your posts. You seem level headed and take time to digest things.

4 minutes ago, billsfan1959 said:

So, does the fact that the Eagles halftime adjustments included more double teams of Star tell you anything about what the Eagles thought about his play?

That is a valid question, until you see that Eagles got better offensive production in the second half.

This was a case where Pederson made better adjustments in the half than McD.  Eagles killed the Bills with the screen and Wentz's scrambles.  They were perfectly timed and executed, especially on 3rd downs.   

12 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Dude...I didn't break the film on Star.  Joe did.  These are questions for him.  

He watched the film, this is what he saw...that's it.  

That's why I'm questioning his analysis, not yours.  I watched the All-22 and didn't see much difference in Star's play between this week and previous weeks.  The main difference this week was that the supporting cast and the game plan in the 2nd half didn't perform.

4 minutes ago, BillsVet said:

And yet, we still see reporters write negative things about the team, ownership, and individual players whenever they feel it is necessary. I read plenty of criticism in articles written over the last two weeks.

They also write many positive things as well. After all, this is a team that is trending upward during a rebuild, has some good young talent, and is actually 5-2 at almost the midpoint of the season. 

Is it so hard to believe that maybe Star actually was one of the better defenders on the field this week? Or does that create so much cognitive dissonance for you that you have to create some grand conspiracy to reduce it?

4 minutes ago, GG said:

That is a valid question, until you see that Eagles got better offensive production in the second half.

This was a case where Pederson made better adjustments in the half than McD.  Eagles killed the Bills with the screen and Wentz's scrambles.  They were perfectly timed and executed, especially on 3rd downs.   

It is still a valid question. Maybe they got better offensive production because they started double teaming Star?

You keep offering an opinion and then providing an analysis that contradicts it.

10 hours ago, Phil The Thrill said:

I think this news is somewhat positive.  Like Joe said in his column, I assumed that Star was a major problem last game - it turns out it was Peko and poor play from LB’s.  
The fact that Star wasn’t getting owned all game gives me hope that McDermott, Frazier and whoever else on the coaching staff can help fix the defense

I guess I'm not seeing the positive in the news that Star was doing what he's asked, and doing what he's asked can result in being gashed for a 65 yd run if one LB reacts incorrectly.

The D was gashed for TDs on 3 successive drives and 4 out of 5 successive drives. 

Saying Star wasn't gashed is positive is "other than THAT Mrs Lincoln, how did you like the play?" territory to me.

12 hours ago, BringBackFergy said:

Yet another example of why Joe B. (J Bus Bus...or whatever moniker he came up with during his WGR days) knows absolutely NOTHING about football. His insights are generic and, more often, copied. Not this one though...this is a whole new level of geeky incompetence. Most of his “material” (especially draft “guru” material) is stolen. Here’s Joe B’s unedited version: “Star played good. He’s a cool player. He was there. He should be good next week. We lost the game. Don’t forget to watch for my draft preview next week.”  

The Shaq lawson sack was basically all star as well.  The LBs struggled to shed blocks all day in the screen game and run game.  They barely attacked us in the air.

11 minutes ago, Dopey said:

So most have been wrong for a while then, but it blew up last week when Joe. B. said he's been sucking this year. Now he backtracks. I re-watched the Phins game and even that one wasn't as bad as made out to be. And if you watch that game, Peko spends too much time either on 1 knee like he's praying or on the ground. Star wasn't the problem and is not a liability. He's no all-star and sure, he's overpaid but some on TBD go overboard. We're not in salary cap hell because of him as some have said and he is our best d tackle. One bad game so far.

Amen.

Man, I like your posts. You seem level headed and take time to digest things.

The all 22 is done every week. It’s not a season long accumulation.  He didn’t “backtrack.” It is a week to week analysis. If he analyzed his play differently previous weeks than he did this week it’s because he’s analyzing different games.

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, GG said:

That's why I'm questioning his analysis, not yours.  I watched the All-22 and didn't see much difference in Star's play between this week and previous weeks.  The main difference this week was that the supporting cast and the game plan in the 2nd half didn't perform.

How many plays does the All 22 show specifically on Star?  Maybe 3-5 if that?

He was on the field for 41 snaps last game.  Did you analyze all those plays?

star at best is mediocre. he aint worth the money they're paying him.

i have nfl game pass. i went back and watched every one of stars snaps for last 3 games.

other than oliver, he may well have been the best d lineman during the philly game. he had his personal best game of the 3. but that comment is more of an indictment of the even worse play from hughes, murphy, peca ,lawson ....not from good play by star.

in general, star plays about half the snaps. is double teamed about a third of those. he gave good effort in the philly game unlike the chit effort he gave in the miami game where he got little push and  just quit pursuit after 3 seconds.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, billsfan1959 said:

It is still a valid question. Maybe they got better offensive production because they started double teaming Star?

You keep offering an opinion and then providing an analysis that contradicts it.

See this thread for further supporting analysis.   The change in Eagles OL assignments were part of the second half adjustments to draw the Bills' defenders to the QB or keep them at the LOS.  The Eagles gashed the Bills with the screen and Wentz's designed scrambles in the critical 2H drives.   That was by design, by keeping Star on the field longer, you guarantee that those kinds of plays have a high chance of success.

3 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

How many plays does the All 22 show specifically on Star?  Maybe 3-5 if that?

He was on the field for 41 snaps last game.  Did you analyze all those plays?

All-22 shows every single play from two angles - full field view from the camera in the rafters and and end-zone shot focusing on the lines and where the ball ends up. 

in his article Joe selected plays that showed Star's good plays.  He didn't include the usual variety where Star got pushed backwards or completely ridden out of the play by a single blocker.  Star was no different on Sunday than he's been all season.