MNF: Fish at Steelers

YoloinOhio

2 minutes ago, SirAndrew said:

I agree, they are both decent receivers. It would just be nice to move them down the depth chart one spot. Our WR corps is subpar as is, add a real number one, and I’d have a different opinion. 

what exactly is a real #1 receiver?

Edited by Bangarang

1 minute ago, SirAndrew said:

I agree, they are both decent receivers. It would just be nice to move them down the depth chart one spot. Our WR corps is subpar as is, add a real number one, and I’d have a different opinion. 

You need a 1, a 2 and a slot guy, plus at least 1 consistent TE to keep the D honest. Right now we have 2 of the 4.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, mannc said:

They do, but do you think we have receivers as good as Schuster, Deonte Johnson and Vance McDonald?  Or even as good as the Dolphins’ receivers, for that matter?

Brown and Beasley are pretty good WRs in this league.  They could definitely use another one but Allen also has to be better.  

1 minute ago, PetermansRedemption said:

Always makes me angry when I see joe blow QB throw for 300 yards. As Mason Rudolph will likely get tonight. Why is Buffalo seemingly incapable of having a passing attack no matter what they do? Wouldn’t you eventually back into a 300 yard game every once, twice, or fifty games. 

Well, Mason Rudolph is a lot more accurate than Josh.  I'd also venture to guess that Pittsburgh's offense is fairly simple and easier to run.

3 minutes ago, clayboy54 said:

I don’t think Brown and Beasley are subpar. We don’t have enough of them to regularly free them up to get open. The opponent can just take Brown away and shadow Beasley and we don’t have anything else for them.

We have a high level #2 and a solid slot receiver.  We desperately need a #1.  

Baker has Odell and Landry.  

Mahomes has Hill, Kelce, Watkins etc

Watson has Hopkins

Rudolph has Juju. 

Goff has Kupp, Cooks and Woods.  

Just look at what Amari Cooper has done for Dak.  

Its getting beyond annoying for a select few people on this board to somehow think Josh Allen is the only QB that wouldn’t benefit from a legit #1, or at the very least, a legit WR of any sort opposite Brown. 

• Like (+1) 5
  • Awesome! (+1) 3

1 minute ago, CaptnCoke11 said:

Brown and Beasley are pretty good WRs in this league.  They could definitely use another one but Allen also has to be better.  

Sure he needs to get better and he will. But having only two legitimate receivers is like having him play with one hand tied behind his back.

1 minute ago, clayboy54 said:

You need a 1, a 2 and a slot guy, plus at least 1 consistent TE to keep the D honest. Right now we have 2 of the 4.

And you need a RB that can catch the ball out of the backfield and a RB that is a threat to break off 20+ yard runs if you rely on the nickle to much. 

1 minute ago, Bangarang said:

what exactly is a real #1 receiver?

A guy who can make contested catches, who can be an underneath or a deep threat. John Brown has  number one stats this season, but that’s because he’s been placed in that role. Stats don’t show the kind of passes a QB can make to a guy with more versatility than Brown. Brown would be an awesome number two. 

Just now, clayboy54 said:

Sure he needs to get better and he will. But having only two legitimate receivers is like having him play with one hand tied behind his back.

It’s so much more than getting another WR.. it’s Allen playing better, Daboll calling a better game etc.  

1 minute ago, clayboy54 said:

you know, before the season started people were hyped with all the new guys on offense and expected Allen to make a big jump. Now that it hasn’t happened it’s because the people we added aren’t good enough.

2 minutes ago, CincyBillsFan said:

And you need a RB that can catch the ball out of the backfield and a RB that is a threat to break off 20+ yard runs if you rely on the nickle to much. 

Yes, that too. All this Daboll criticism has to be taken with a grain of salt. You can’t  play the game you want with only half the weapons you need.

Edited by clayboy54
  • Like (+1) 1

Just now, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

This part of football is the dumbest part. No reason no to put a chip in the ball and alway get the spot right 

It is absolutely idiotic. There is no way anyone can look at those replays and know - at that clear and convincing evidence standard - exactly where the most forward part of the ball was exactly when the runner's knee made contact with the turf. And yet ...

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, Happy Gilmore said:

Well, Mason Rudolph is a lot more accurate than Josh.  I'd also venture to guess that Pittsburgh's offense is fairly simple and easier to run.

They have a pretty conservative game plan with him but it leads a ton of 3rd and long. He’s limited.

Just now, CaptnCoke11 said:

It’s so much more than getting another WR.. it’s Allen playing better, Daboll calling a better game etc.  

Which would both be influenced by another legit WR.  

You severely underestimate what talent can do. 

People out here expecting a 2nd year QB to elevate WRs like Brady and Rodgers. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, SCBills said:

We have a high level #2 and a solid slot receiver.  We desperately need a #1.  

Baker has Odell and Landry.  

Mahomes has Hill, Kelce, Watkins etc

Watson has Hopkins

Rudolph has Juju. 

Goff has Kupp, Cooks and Woods.  

Just look at what Amari Cooper has done for Dak.  

Its getting beyond annoying for a select few people on this board to somehow think Josh Allen is the only QB that wouldn’t benefit from a legit #1, or at the very least, a legit WR of any sort opposite Brown. 

You just nailed the bigger than Brown as the number one. The big issue might be Beasley as number two. Bease is a great slot guy, but placing him number two after Brown is far from ideal. Who is our number two? Because this roster has no one I’d consider a legit number two WR. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Bangarang said:

you know, before the season started people were hyped with all the new guys on offense and expected Allen to make a big jump. Now that it hasn’t happened it’s because the people we added aren’t good enough.

Making excuses for poor QB play... a Buffalo tradition.  

A guy who can make contested catches, who can be an underneath or a deep threat. John Brown has  number one stats this season, but that’s because he’s been placed in that role. Stats don’t show the kind of passes a QB can make to a guy with more versatility than Brown. Brown would be an awesome number two. 

So John Brown is putting up #1 WR numbers but you don’t think he’s a #1 WR because of....reasons?

Is your only knock against Brown that he isn’t a big physical WR who is going to go up for jump balls? If so that’s a lame reason.  

Just now, YoloinOhio said:

They have a pretty conservative game plan with him but it leads a ton of 3rd and long. He’s limited.

You know you may be right, but we really don’t know when he’s playing short handed and with his gunslinger competitiveness, he’s always trying to squeeze it into tight places. You know, throw the guy open mentality. I just don’t think we have the guns to know for sure right now.

You just nailed the bigger than Brown as the number one. The big issue might be Beasley as number two. Bease is a great slot guy, but placing him number two after Brown is far from ideal. Who is our number two? Because this roster has no one I’d consider a legit number two WR. 

I thought it was the guy we traded up for because he was better than JuJu

• Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, BuffaloRebound said:

This is one of those rare times I agree with everyone posting. We need better QB play, Allen becomes a bust if he doesn’t improve big time before the end of the season imo, we also need a legit number one WR, and Daboll needs to learn how to be an NFL level OC. All of those things are problems right now. 

2 minutes ago, Bangarang said:

Perhaps  it was wishful thinking by a hopeful fan base ? A few good additions, but not a great group of offensive skill players by any means. Just my opinion though. Maybe the Bills really have one of the elite collections of offensive talent in the NFL, but the QB sucks. 

Just now, BuffaloRebound said:

Yep.  Most of the offense's struggles has been because of Josh's tendency to be sloppy with, and not take care of the ball.  I believe we can win with the WR's and TE's we have.  Of course a WR1 would be nice, but DE and DT are bigger needs.

3 minutes ago, Bangarang said:

So John Brown is putting up #1 WR numbers but you don’t think he’s a #1 WR because of....reasons?

Is your only knock against Brown that he isn’t a big physical WR who is going to go up for jump balls? If so that’s a lame reason.  

Was thinking the same thing. I don't like how certain guys can seemingly never reach #1 status. Brown very well could be a #1, he's just not in the top-5 Julio Jones class. It goes out without saying that this team needs another WR whether it's a clear #1 (Mike Evans) or another solid 1B/2A (Allen Robinson). John Brown and a bunch of slot guys certainly isn't going to get it done.

2 minutes ago, Bangarang said:

John Brown and Cole Beasley are the only guys who seem to be thrown the football when Knox isn’t dropping it. That means they have good reception numbers. Brown has been really good, but is he really a game changing WR? He’s played great, and I love him as a number two, but Brown isn’t someone who’s going take a game over. 

Just now, Boatdrinks said:

Perhaps  it was wishful thinking by a hopeful fan base ? A few good additions, but not a great group of offensive skill players by any means. Just my opinion though. Maybe the Bills really have one of the elite collections of offensive talent in the NFL, but the QB sucks. 

Without a doubt, it was wishful thinking. We are better than we’ve been in a long time. We still have a long way to go... with personnel and with performance. It sure is nice to be frustrated with 5-2 compared to 0-7 or some such crap. I’ll be patient. I’ve sat through this since 1963. I can wait awhile longer. ☺️

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1